• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario's 1.1.4 Patch Notes (Sigh...)

D

Deleted member

Disclaimer: Yes I searched the subforum and couldn't find the proper thread this belonged in so i'm making it here. I don't usually post often so I seriously don't want to be berated with "Stop making new threads for stuff this is already in" because I couldn't find it.

That being said I am a little disappointed with the fact that Doc got no changes in the last and final patch as Sakurai has put it. I still believe in the possibility of a hotfix here and there but i'm certain that this seals the fate of Doctor Mario when it comes to any improvements.

In my personal opinion I believe that there needed to be 4 different changes to Doc as a character that were completely ignored. To sort of preface this, I have been playing Doc since day 1 of Sm4sh 3DS and use only him in and outside of tourney. I have experience with other characters of course but my ability with Doc just completely overshadows them all. Another disclaimer id like to add is that any one of these following suggestions would have been fine in my book as it would increase his viability by a lot, but obviously didn't expect anything to happen, or for all of them to be applied at once.

So to start off I believe that there are four major areas that Doc could have used some tweaking. They are as follows --

Running Speed -
So in terms of Doc's abilities I think he has really good close range game however when it comes to extending off of his combos he can fall short when it comes to followups. For some matchups that are lighter (Luigi included) he can't really extend in the air much less on the ground due to his run speed. I feel like this would help Doc because it would allow him to cover a decent amount of ground and actually make his fthrow much more viable from low to mid percents on lighter characters.

UpB Distance Extension -
I'm not sure if this came as a surprise or not but I'm fairly certain that anyone playing Doc would to some degree resonate with this. I feel like making his UpB lacking in comparison to Mario's was completely arbitrary on Sakurai's part as it exclusively puts them together comparatively and ends up ignoring the entire roster. I'm not saying that UpB is easily gimpable or whatnot because it is, and it isn't and that's based on matchup but my argument to this is that to have an identical character who can recover better and is much faster is like giving the advantaged a two-fold while leaving the slower rendition (despite having much more kill potential) kind of a sitting duck.

To kind of expand on this point I am aware that Mario's UpB is not a kill move therefore it is justified to have the range much better than Doc's as a tradeoff for it's lack in power but with Doc's UpB being so small it can mean a stock majority of the time as it primarily used as a recovery. Personally, I think the trade-off doesn't hold much ground in dissent especially as I said before that it exclusively compares the two and ignores the entire roster as a whole. Doc's viability is questioned 99% of the time for his recovery and I think that this should have been fixed a long time ago.

Less Landing Lag on Pill -
I mean...
Megavitamins (Early) 17-20
Megavitamins 21-44

And..
Dair 11-26 (Rehit rate: 4)
Dair (Final Hit) 27

So to start off on this point let me just say that there's no reason why his Pill should start at 17 frames early whatsoever and end at 44 frames for normal. To me that's just blasphemy (harhar). The Pill in and of itself has a huge arch and I think that in matchups like JIgglypuff, Sonic, Kirby, and anyone with a short frame can easily avoid this.

As an example in the Sonic MU Doc's Pill's are near useless because Sonic can Spin Dash past them all if timed right and by the time Doc can act out of his grounded pill move (for the sake of argument) he will have gotten combo'd or thrown into a string. His aerial Pill leaves him the same amount of defenseless because the Pill arches higher with his height of when he first executed the pill STILL leaving him defenseless. At least if his landing lag/ending lag was less on his Pills he would be able to more effectively punish characters who can easily just dodge this.

Tornado Hitlag Glitch -
I'm kind of in a hurry so i'll link this to another thread that mentioned it but I think it is seriously worth noting and should STILL be considered in any future hotfixes because it's simply just stupid to lose a stock to. I shouldn't have to go in for a punish, land it, and then worry if i'll make it back on stage or not because of some hitlag glitch.

http://smashboards.com/threads/dear...ts-too-late-the-cyclone-hitlag-glitch.420602/

I know my post may come off as entitled but I consider this long post a rant at it's core because it is just so infuriating to me as a Doc main to see him get neglected like a handful of other characters who clearly needed something done to balance them and their weakness (aka Zelda, cough).

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
It's really aggravating that Dr. Mario has received ZERO buffs for 3 patches in a row. And his most recent buff only effected a single custom move that's garbage compared to the other two options.

Air speed is something that should receive a buff, increasing it would improve his recovery, combos, and mobility.

I posted some buffs I'd like for him to receive on reddit, they aren't much but they would help him tremendously.
  • Dash Speed: 1.312 -> 1.47

• Walk Speed: 0.903 -> 1.05

• Air Speed: 0.943 -> 1.0

• Increased horizontal and vertical distance on Super Jump Punch

• Dr. Tornado requires less mashing to get the maximum height

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
Kind of depressing :( I play doc a lot, but I wouldn't have considered solo maining him unless he got some well earned buffs. Wish he got the Marth treatment in 1.1.4. Ah well, we can always hope for more balance patches or a fix for the cyclone glitch.

Either way, if you do cool things with Doc, people will be impressed because he is considered bad. In my opinion, it's part of what makes him fun.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Disclaimer: Yes I searched the subforum and couldn't find the proper thread this belonged in so i'm making it here. I don't usually post often so I seriously don't want to be berated with "Stop making new threads for stuff this is already in" because I couldn't find it.

That being said I am a little disappointed with the fact that Doc got no changes in the last and final patch as Sakurai has put it. I still believe in the possibility of a hotfix here and there but i'm certain that this seals the fate of Doctor Mario when it comes to any improvements.

In my personal opinion I believe that there needed to be 4 different changes to Doc as a character that were completely ignored. To sort of preface this, I have been playing Doc since day 1 of Sm4sh 3DS and use only him in and outside of tourney. I have experience with other characters of course but my ability with Doc just completely overshadows them all. Another disclaimer id like to add is that any one of these following suggestions would have been fine in my book as it would increase his viability by a lot, but obviously didn't expect anything to happen, or for all of them to be applied at once.

So to start off I believe that there are four major areas that Doc could have used some tweaking. They are as follows --

Running Speed -
So in terms of Doc's abilities I think he has really good close range game however when it comes to extending off of his combos he can fall short when it comes to followups. For some matchups that are lighter (Luigi included) he can't really extend in the air much less on the ground due to his run speed. I feel like this would help Doc because it would allow him to cover a decent amount of ground and actually make his fthrow much more viable from low to mid percents on lighter characters.

UpB Distance Extension -
I'm not sure if this came as a surprise or not but I'm fairly certain that anyone playing Doc would to some degree resonate with this. I feel like making his UpB lacking in comparison to Mario's was completely arbitrary on Sakurai's part as it exclusively puts them together comparatively and ends up ignoring the entire roster. I'm not saying that UpB is easily gimpable or whatnot because it is, and it isn't and that's based on matchup but my argument to this is that to have an identical character who can recover better and is much faster is like giving the advantaged a two-fold while leaving the slower rendition (despite having much more kill potential) kind of a sitting duck.

To kind of expand on this point I am aware that Mario's UpB is not a kill move therefore it is justified to have the range much better than Doc's as a tradeoff for it's lack in power but with Doc's UpB being so small it can mean a stock majority of the time as it primarily used as a recovery. Personally, I think the trade-off doesn't hold much ground in dissent especially as I said before that it exclusively compares the two and ignores the entire roster as a whole. Doc's viability is questioned 99% of the time for his recovery and I think that this should have been fixed a long time ago.

Less Landing Lag on Pill -
I mean...
Megavitamins (Early) 17-20
Megavitamins 21-44

And..
Dair 11-26 (Rehit rate: 4)
Dair (Final Hit) 27

So to start off on this point let me just say that there's no reason why his Pill should start at 17 frames early whatsoever and end at 44 frames for normal. To me that's just blasphemy (harhar). The Pill in and of itself has a huge arch and I think that in matchups like JIgglypuff, Sonic, Kirby, and anyone with a short frame can easily avoid this.

As an example in the Sonic MU Doc's Pill's are near useless because Sonic can Spin Dash past them all if timed right and by the time Doc can act out of his grounded pill move (for the sake of argument) he will have gotten combo'd or thrown into a string. His aerial Pill leaves him the same amount of defenseless because the Pill arches higher with his height of when he first executed the pill STILL leaving him defenseless. At least if his landing lag/ending lag was less on his Pills he would be able to more effectively punish characters who can easily just dodge this.

Tornado Hitlag Glitch -
I'm kind of in a hurry so i'll link this to another thread that mentioned it but I think it is seriously worth noting and should STILL be considered in any future hotfixes because it's simply just stupid to lose a stock to. I shouldn't have to go in for a punish, land it, and then worry if i'll make it back on stage or not because of some hitlag glitch.

http://smashboards.com/threads/dear...ts-too-late-the-cyclone-hitlag-glitch.420602/

I know my post may come off as entitled but I consider this long post a rant at it's core because it is just so infuriating to me as a Doc main to see him get neglected like a handful of other characters who clearly needed something done to balance them and their weakness (aka Zelda, cough).
1. Since you made an effort in finding the right thread, I will just provide the link(s) here and just ask that you use it next time. http://smashboards.com/threads/what...o-make-him-viable.411960/page-2#post-20723183
http://smashboards.com/threads/hypothetical-ways-we-can-buff-the-doc.397197/
2. Did Sakurai actually say that this is the FINAL patch? I remember him stating that the development has ended, but not that patches will stop. Anyway, if it is, Doc is in a much better position than, say, Zelda, Ganon, Palutena, Jiggs, etc. Way better than people give him credit for.
3. I don't disagree with any of the changes that you have suggested. Any combination of them would be fine.

Last edited:

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
Really Disappointing how 14 patches later doc's recovery is still as bad as it is. I mean, every other character that has a useful grounded upB like ours has a better recovery, and those tend to be even better than super jump punch (shoryuken for instance). Then there's cloud, who's only weakness is a recovery as bad as ours, but yet he beats doc in every category.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Really Disappointing how 14 patches later doc's recovery is still as bad as it is. I mean, every other character that has a useful grounded upB like ours has a better recovery, and those tend to be even better than super jump punch (shoryuken for instance). Then there's cloud, who's only weakness is a recovery as bad as ours, but yet he beats doc in every category.

I'm surprised that 14 patches later, people still think this. His recovery (i.e. not JUST Up-B, lol) is not amazing but it's better than people give it credit for. Big thing that Doc struggles with is going up, not sideways.

Ryu's Up-B is better in terms of raw KO power + punishing, but's Doc's Up-B has more uses (e.g. edgeguarding) and is less unsafe.

Cloud's really good (and sort of dumb), but he has other weaknesses, not just recovery. Susceptible to combos due to his fall speed, few get off me moves, poor grab game (outside up throw and down throw at high percents).

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
Dr. Mario's super jump punch is much more a utility move than a recovery move.

Frame 3 KO move, can break out of combos, huge hitbox, great out of shield option, combo finisher, edgeguard move, ect.

I prefer it over Mario's for just purely the utility Doc's has over Mario's.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Patch 1.1.5 has just been released and people are finding some changes already. There's still hope! :drmario:

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
I've already tested the damage values on all of his moves and they're unchanged.

So he either has no changes or changes that aren't easily visible.

D

Deleted member

I guess i'll be the fool to be called out. I'm happy that they're still rolling out patches as it doesn't rule out the possibility of much needed buffs/nerfs for various characters. On that note I want to redact my statement about it being the last patch. I could have sworn I heard it somewhere but the past is past. I'll be testing him out tomorrow. M̶i̶d̶t̶e̶r̶m̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶y̶p̶e̶ ̶k̶i̶l̶l̶e̶r̶.̶

If you guys notice anything please keep us in the loop.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I don't understand, other characters can get weight increases, but Doc can't? What the <bleep>, Sakurai!? Also, Charizard (my alt) got not only a weight increase, but also an air-speed increase. I still love Doc, but I don't understand why he keeps getting overlooked. Things aren't looking too good for him in Smash 5.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Why does he need a weight increase? I'd rather he have an increase in run speed + increase in jump height (but keep that godly short hop).

Anyway, Doc is mostly fine. Very few issues with his moveset (which seems to be a common thing for characters that got buffed), but some issues with his mobility.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Why does he need a weight increase? I'd rather he have an increase in run speed + increase in jump height (but keep that godly short hop).

Anyway, Doc is mostly fine. Very few issues with his moveset (which seems to be a common thing for characters that got buffed), but some issues with his mobility.
I agree, but if Doc's going to remain slower, stronger and with less jumping ability than Mario, he might as well weigh more. I think it's fair since he's got the power of a heavier character. Imagine using Doc and he doesn't die at the same rate as Mario. I think he should be closer to the weight of Yoshi or Ike. If they can't do that, then yes, his speed and jumping abilities should be upped. I'd say one or the other at this point, but I think Sakurai likes the odd 'balance' he's created for Doc right now.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
My point is that he doesn’t HAVE to be heavier to be a slower but stronger Mario. He just needs to be less slow. It’s not as if something like weight and/or mobilty can’t be altered so who knows what will happen.

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
My point is that he doesn’t HAVE to be heavier to be a slower but stronger Mario. He just needs to be less slow. It’s not as if something like weight and/or mobilty can’t be altered so who knows what will happen.
Exactly. I'd just like to see it be one or the other instead of neither. If Sakurai can't increase his speed and overall mobility, then at least increase his weight to match his current slow speed and lower jump height. If that can't be done, then do the other. Right now, we have neither and that seems odd.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
He did not receive anything.

Exactly. I'd just like to see it be one or the other instead of neither. If Sakurai can't increase his speed and overall mobility, then at least increase his weight to match his current slow speed and lower jump height. If that can't be done, then do the other. Right now, we have neither and that seems odd.
Having said that, I still think he's fundamentally better off than most characters, even with the buffs that a majority of them received.

Last edited:
Top Bottom