• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario Moveset Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy115

Smash Cadet
I was wondering if anyone can give tips for Dr.Mario, I would really like to get better with him and be more competitive with him. ^.^

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Well, first of all, Dr.Mario is more defensive than offensive if you compare him to Mario, so try playing him defensively.
Punishing people is one of the main job of Dr.Mario, and one of his best kill moves at high percent is his UpB. It's one of the best techniques for the Doc : Shield and punish with UpB.
Other than that, Dr.Mario can still combo like Mario with his Dthrow with a Uair or even with Utilts.

If you want to get more competitive with Dr.Mario, train more and search on the forum for more information about the doctor. There's some guides to help you here, so go check them out.

Good luck lad !;)

Last edited:

Roy115

Smash Cadet
Well, first of all, Dr.Mario is more defensive than offensive if you compare him to Dr.Mario, so try playing him defensively.
Punishing people is one of the main job of Dr.Mario, and one of his best kill moves at high percent is his UpB. It's one of the best techniques for the Doc : Shield and punish with UpB.
Other than that, Dr.Mario can still combo like Mario with his Dthrow with a Uair or even with Utilts.

If you want to get more competitive with Dr.Mario, train more and search on the forum for more information about the doctor. There's some guides to help you here, so go check them out.

Good luck lad !;)
This is very helpful! thank you for letting me know that UpB is a great move. :)

Brango

Smash Cadet
NNID
Brang0
3DS FC
2750-1590-3967
Hey guys, I've been trying out the doc and whenever I perform his f-air, it always launches and doesn't spike. Is the big box for it strict or do I just suck at landing it? And if it doesn't spike, does he have a spike?

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Uairs into up-b with a fast fall actually allows you to continue into even more dangerous combos. I don't know if Doc's up-b could kill though.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
UpB doesn't kill as quick as FSmash or fair, but near the edge UpB works as a kill move.

I usually use UpB like this on recovering opponents. They never expect it!

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Because Doc's fair sends people in a upwards trajectory. He isn't Mario; it's similar to the way in Melee.

Fairly certain he doesn't get a spike or a meteor, outside of footstools. Maybe the latter half of his up air is a semi spike, but that's as close as you'll get.

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
Yeah Doc's F-air does not spike nor meteor, it sends opponents at an up angle (45 degree angle) just like in Melee. I also feel like if it has been weakened from Melee as well...

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Yeah Doc's F-air does not spike nor meteor, it sends opponents at an up angle (45 degree angle) just like in Melee. I also feel like if it has been weakened from Melee as well...
No, it's the same, I feel. Properties are the same. But stage boundaries weakened the viability of this move somewhat. It's unsafe as well, because of the lack of L Cancelling.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
The above poster didn't quite explain it fully.

It's Doc's Neutral Air in Melee and Sm4sh and the damage and knockback increases the longer the hitbox is out, opposite to a usual sex kick. It's been nerfed since Melee, though, it now does 8% max in Sm4sh. It's not that good in either game, it's just a move unique to Doc. I think GimR was able to force some resets/locks with it in his Doc demo video though.

soz4minibump

Exegguter

Smash Lord

It's Doc's Neutral Air in Melee and Sm4sh and the damage and knockback increases the longer the hitbox is out, opposite to a usual sex kick. It's been nerfed since Melee, though, it now does 8% max in Sm4sh. It's not that good in either game, it's just a move unique to Doc. I think GimR was able to force some resets/locks with it in his Doc demo video though.

soz4minibump
This.

The only real use for this Imo is for going trough weak projectiles. Doc's nair goes trough them ((weak)link bow for example). And punishes them with the strongest part of it.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces

soz4minibump
RIght about everything except that the max is 9% and not 8%.

EvilShadow777

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1177-8767-4539

soz4minibump
Idk, it's amazing to have simply for mixups. The sex kick will apply pressure and knock back giving you room for followup, potentially combos. And that same movement can also be a fair, a Bair or a tornado. It's not individually amazing but with the rest it means that your mixup approach options are awesome across the board.

Thegopher

Smash Cadet
I heard on vgbc's stream that doc's tornado actually ends up giving you negative height. Is that true? How much lift does it actually give us?

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
When in the air Doc doesn't rise, but when you rise from the ground it goes roughly two marios in height. (Yes Mario is a height gauge now.)

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
You only rise while mashing if you're already rising, from what I can tell. Like, if you just jumped and your momentum has you going up, the tornado will make you rise more than just the jump. If your vertical momentum is neutral or going down, you won't rise, though.

Last edited:

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, to recover with it you have to mash it after a double jump. Remember that you can also use it to get closer to a wall to walljump from.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
IDk enough of the doc but on the luigi boards it was thought the same thing that luigi needs a jump/double jump to rise with the tornado until recently. For luigi it requires godlike mashing.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Doc's lift is pretty bad honestly, it's less that he needs the double jump more that it helps you not end up fastfalling before you do the Nado. Doc's Tornado seems to rise fairly okay even when you do it after a Double Jump.

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
Doc's lift is pretty bad honestly, it's less that he needs the double jump more that it helps you not end up fastfalling before you do the Nado. Doc's Tornado seems to rise fairly okay even when you do it after a Double Jump.
It's not that it only lets you rise if you still have a second jump, but if you're still moving upwards from right after you jump, your tornado will lift you more. If you don't have upwards momentum when you hit the mashed tornado, you will just fall slower.

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
I think a lot of it is accidentally fast falling when you hit the down input for the tornado.

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
I generally just use Tornado to give myself a little more horizontal recovery after getting launched while saving my double jump. Maybe im not great at mashing, but It never seems worth it for me to use jump and tornado at the same time.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
I keep reading everywhere that he retained his Melee down tilt but I'm not getting those results unless the change was made with the patch.

Basically want to know if the knockback from this move is still in reverse (Opponent flys in opposite direction/toward Dr. Mario unlike Mario's down tilt)

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
They did change it, quite honestly it's for the better.

Dtilt in this game pops up like Mario's and sets up into a dashgrab mixup if the opponent isn't on point due to the frame data. It would suck if it sent people towards him with how the light hitstun is in the game.

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
Dtilt is now far safer and Dtilt to Up B (19 dmg) combos on most characters at low percents.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
aww man......I wish they kept most of the distinct things about Dr. Mario. This and the Non-sweetspotting F-air always gave me that immediate impulse of "DR. MARIO" lol

Thanx for informing me dudes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom