• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DP Quick EV Guide and discussion thread

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Can I have the mods reset my posts to zero? Cuz i'll do it lol. I don't care about my post count im' comfortable with it. I bumped my guide so it would be at the top. anyways people tell me how I can make my guide better and i'll add it. Like if you want to rephrase a chapter or something tell me.

British Bob

Smash Cadet
I'm still confused on what to do, exactly.

Beat the Elite 4.
Breed new Pokes with good baseline stats?
Give them Exp. Share or whatever and fight different wild Pokes and using vitamins, depending on how I want to mold his stats?
Keep training until level 100 and give them TMs?

Yeah, another question. ^_^' If the Poke just participates in a battle (or even using an Exp. Share) does it receive the EVs? Or does it have to directly faint the Poke to get the EVs?
Is that the gist of it?
And this is off-subject, but I forgot. Can you breed Legendaries? Or any Pokes without a gender? And where can I find a Ditto?
You can also use a combination of macho brace and pokerus to spend up ev training on a pokemon but you have to keep swithing with a stronger pokemon each time a new pokemon comes out.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Question: I filled my EVs to 510 total(for a non-Lv.100 infernape) so I cant use any medicines on it(I never did it to Infernape in the past anyway). So I used TWO Greppa berries which are supposed to decrease my SP.Def base stat by 5 but instead it only did two. Plus after that when I tried to use Carbos on Infernape(which doesn't have full spd EVs) I wasn't able to.

Khanczar

Smash Ace
are you supposed to train EVs from the very beginning to get the full effect?

Because my tesm is like lvl 50, their natures are meh (some are good, most are pointless) and I want to EV them.

Also, if you train EVs at like lvl 99 on low lvl things forever and it finally lvls up, would it be possible for it to say "+63" on the little stats increase thing?

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
yes khanczar. You can ev train them at level 100 given that they had no ev's to begin with. Which is impossible unless you use nothing but rare candies to level em up.

If they allready had ev's and you just want to fill them up you can do that too. Though it's not very efective.

So to configure you ev's and stats and such without leveling up you can just put them in the inbox take them out again and it will reconfigure there stats. THE BEST WAY TO EV TRAIN IS AT LEVEL ONE THOUGH.

Khanczar

Smash Ace
dude what?

All right. Tell me what to do. My team is lvl 50, and to my knowledge they haven't been EV trained.

Lets say I take my crobat, lvl 52, and train it for HP on some low lvl thing (like lvl 10) Obviously, its going to take awhile for it to level up. But when it does, will it have all of the EVs that its supposed to get? Say I killed 120 zubats, will it have +30 when it lvls up?

If it doesnt, how can I EV them to their full potential as they are?

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
You will have the ev's. But on your next level up it won't show you 30 extra stat points. There is a limit to how much stats will show on your next level. Later on it will add stats to your "back up" evs AFtert the limit it will technically store the ev's. You have them but you dont notice them. They will add on later when you level up your pokemon more.

If you want to ev train for hp or whatever. just keep track of how many ev's what pokemon gives on what stat. And take account for all the ev's you get even if they dont show up on your next stat because they will still be there.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
ok, so lemme get this straight to see if i got this.....

if i want speed on my rhyperior, (this is hypathetical, 'cause i'll be getting one)

i go and fight zubats. each zubat gives me one ev point. i need 4 ev points to get one total point added to my speed. and i can get a total of 127 points added to my rhyperior's speed. and there is no limit to the number of extra points to a stat that i can get per level. and if there is a limit, what is it? that way i'll know.

so, do i have this? 'cause if i can get this, it'll be a piece of cake for me.

oh, and http://www.serebii.net has the ev's of each pokemon in the pokedex's for the games too. be sure to add that to your first post.

Khanczar

Smash Ace
i dont think so.

Also, I just trained my crobat on Attack EV giving pokes (route 212 kricketunes and bibarels to be exact) and when I lvl up, the attack stat goes up just like normal. Is this what is supposed to happen? So far I have gotten 96 EVs on it and it's leveled twice. Am I getting too many EVs per level?

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
oh yeah, and a couple of other questions:

1.) What ev's do i get from the elite four in diamond and pearl?

2.) If i give my low level pokemon the experience share, and my main level 100 pokemon the macho brace, will the low-level pokemon with the experience share get double the ev's?

3.) About how long does it take to ev train 1 pokemon?

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
The limit for the extra points to a stat is 63. After 63 in speed for example you keep facing more zubats you don't lose or gain any extra ev's.

About the experience share I don't know up to this point. I will quickly find out though.

Another important thing to know is that if you get four ev's in speed and you level up and it doesn't show don't worry. They will add it later on. You won't see the extra stats until later on.
There is no such thing as too many ev's per level. You just won't see the effects of the extra stats until later on.

It may take at least several days to ev train 1 pokemon if not more. It takes a very long time hahaha

Im sorry but for right now I dont know what pokemon league pokemon give what ev's. I looked for it on serebii and serebii is just a giant mess of mass information that isn't very well organized. I couldn't find the shinno ev pokemon. If someone could give me an exact link i would appreciate it very much.

If everyone is still confused speak up so I can clarify. Thank you

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
It may take at least several days to ev train 1 pokemon if not more. It takes a very long time hahaha
Pfftt ROFL not really, I can ev train my whole team in a day once you find the right spots like I have in my emerald. Things like poke RS and the braces cut down time drastically .

If anyone needs pokeRS PM me and we'll exchange FC's so I trade you something with RS.

bbb

Smash Champion
For attack, I'd say go fish in the pond in south Twin leaf with a Super Rod, all I ever get is Gyarados and Seaking, which are plus two each, but they're in the 35+ range level-wise, which might be too high level if you just hatched a pokemon with a decent nature/IVs or whatever. Also if the pokemon sucks against water or flying this doesn't work well either, but hey, it's fast when it works.

H@wK

Smash Ace
San Juan P.R. PKMN D/P FC - 4940 2077 9502
Attack EV - Twinleaf Town, in the Pond, Seaking and Gyarados, you can gain 8 EV per battle with PKRS + MB (2 pts each)

Defense EV - Iron Island, Onix, Steelix, Gravelers

SP Attack EV - Route 214, Collector Trainer just a few steps before Spring Path, 3 Roselias, 2 EV pts each for a MAX of 24 EV per battle.

Sp Defense EV - Tentacruels, in the route between Sunnyshore and Pokemon League

Speed EV - Fight Area, Fearows and Raticates.

HP EV - Route 205, Shellos

ss118

Smash Master
Just wanted to say, You can't notice EV training at lower levels. I just started EVing my lvl 70 Heatran on Gastly's, and when it leveled it got +44 Sp Atk

In the Fray

Smash Apprentice
A new addition to the Emerald version is the ability to take away EVs from
your Pokemon by feeding certain berries to them. Here is a list of the berries
that take away EVs.

Berry- EV lowered by 10
Pomeg- Hit Points
Kelpsy- Attack
Qualot- Defense
Hondew- Special Attack
Grepa- Special Defense
Tamato- Speed

Credit goes to Lanerobertlane of Gamefaqs for this. I didn't even know about this until a couple of days ago.
They are called reduction berries... This is pretty old they are on DP too.

In the Fray

Smash Apprentice
It's improving I guess. It's pretty good considering your new to EVs yourself or at least it seems like you are sorry I'm not trying to offend or anything. It's just that you've used it's "under constriction"or "It's not done yet" to all the criticism you got criticism can be good for ya it helps ya improve you where just getting offended.

The explanations are short they get the job done I guess but they could be longer. I mean there are Ev training guides out there that are 10 times longer surely you could have made yours a little long.

Almost done huh well I hope you don't intend to leave I hope that you will still add to it as new facts arise and so fourth.
All EV guide dont have to be exactly the same, I beileve this guide was to be short simple and to the point and since most everyone on smashboards already know how to EV train, It would be to believe all we really want to know is what pokemon has the attack, defense or speed stat we need in order to boost what were looking for.

I believe these are the things he took into consideration when taking his time to make this. Not, how pointless long this could be. I mean if you already know what EVs are, why would you want a longer explaination ? As you said there are EV guides out there that are longer perhaps that means better to you ? Surely you could simply go look at them, Right ? Take what you said and apply that to smash. In order to wavedash you just airdodge into the ground, correct ? Theres obviously no need to say its a manipulation of movement involving airdodging, plus the weight and height of the character that produces a sliding animation.

As you said i dont mean to offend just sharing my opinion, just as you where.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Much <3 for in the fray. I meant it to be short lol. I will make it better in the days to come. But I wanted it to be short and informative. And yes effectively teach how to ev train. Thanks in the fray.

Steel Wing

Smash Rookie
All EV guide dont have to be exactly the same, I beileve this guide was to be short simple and to the point and since most everyone on smashboards already know how to EV train, It would be to believe all we really want to know is what pokemon has the attack, defense or speed stat we need in order to boost what were looking for.

I believe these are the things he took into consideration when taking his time to make this. Not, how pointless long this could be. I mean if you already know what EVs are, why would you want a longer explaination ? As you said there are EV guides out there that are longer perhaps that means better to you ? Surely you could simply go look at them, Right ? Take what you said and apply that to smash. In order to wavedash you just airdodge into the ground, correct ? Theres obviously no need to say its a manipulation of movement involving airdodging, plus the weight and height of the character that produces a sliding animation.

As you said i dont mean to offend just sharing my opinion, just as you where.
You'd be surpized how many people on here have no Idea what ev's are this is SMASH boards not POKEMON boards. When I made my post this guide was in pretty bad shape and he just recently added "quick" to the title. It was awful when he first posted it has improved since then. When he first posted it it was just a where to find pokemon that gave IV's most of the guide was copy pasted from other sites and lacked any original content.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
@In the fray, Like Steel Wing said not everyone knows about EV trainin. The point of a guide is to help people. If it's not helping it's not doing anyone any good.

Kamikaze has changed it since he first started and it looks a lot better now. Something he should add is an answer to common questions like 'if a pokemon switches out does it full EVs, half or any?' You should also add the EVs for all native Shinoh pokemon. That way when someone runs into a Skuntank they know if it's better to run away or fight it.

It needs some tweaking in other areas but those are the main ones for now.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Thanks chill for the suggestions. I will get native shinnoh pokemon and etc. and some more question.s LIke the more questions people have I will need to make sure it's in my guide. But thanks for the suggestions. I'll add them over the weekend or by monday or tuesday.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
Here's a tip that I use when EV training multiple pokemon for the same EV's that you probably want to add to your guide.

Exp share also gives EV's to the pokemon that's holding it. So you can give pokerus or use something that has already had pokerus to a higher level pokemon (it doesn't have to be higher but it makes taking out things easier). Then attach a macho brace to it and give exp shares to the other pokemon you want to EV train this way you can EV train multiple things for the same EVs. i.e. If I wanted to ev train two things in speed and sp. attack I could do this to save time in the EV training process.

Also something that I don't see in your guide about pokerus that it's only contagious for three days but it still works for EV growth after those three days. It just can't be spread to other Pokemon after those three days.

In the Fray

Smash Apprentice
You'd be surpized how many people on here have no Idea what ev's are this is SMASH boards not POKEMON boards. When I made my post this guide was in pretty bad shape and he just recently added "quick" to the title. It was awful when he first posted it has improved since then. When he first posted it it was just a where to find pokemon that gave IV's most of the guide was copy pasted from other sites and lacked any original content.
Okay, I should have taken that into consideration when making my post, I didnt think about that at the time, But seeing everyones post it seemed that most people in this area seemed very knowledgeable about pokemon for the furmost. I didnt see the guide in the begining but from the time I had scanned it and looked over everything it looked as if was in pretty decent shape, And had assumed it was that way in the begining. Even though this site is called smashboard, this is the pokemon section so one would assume you have some pokemon experience. Im not sure if what you expect to see thats orginal, im sure most guides have alot of the same infomation. Its smart to copy and paste, its saves times so that he can focus on other areas that need more attention,without wasting too much time something else.

@In the fray, Like Steel Wing said not everyone knows about EV trainin. The point of a guide is to help people. If it's not helping it's not doing anyone any good.

Kamikaze has changed it since he first started and it looks a lot better now. Something he should would add us an answer to common questions like 'if a pokemon switches out does it full EVs, half or any?' You should also add the EVs for all native Shinoh pokemon. That way when someone runs into a Skuntank they know if it's better to run away or fight it.

It needs some tweaking in other areas but those are the main ones for now.
I believe that is correct. I never seem to take into consideration the late member, or the existing members who just jumped into the pokemon scence. Thus the need for detailed Explanations.

Also Kamikaze I think it all looks nice now, but try to tweak the areas thats needed it would be nice have this stickied.

Khanczar

Smash Ace
I have a question:

I gave my weavile 252 attack EVs already (may be off, but only by like 5 at most) and now im training speed for it, and it has 100. I try to give it a carbos, and it says it will have no effect.

Is this normal?

phish-it

Smash Champion
^^ Yes. Unfortunately you can only give them vitamins for the first 100 points in the stat.

Thats why it's a good idea to use vitamins first, then EV train.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
I have a question:

I gave my weavile 252 attack EVs already (may be off, but only by like 5 at most) and now im training speed for it, and it has 100. I try to give it a carbos, and it says it will have no effect.

Is this normal?
....phish-it beat me to it.

Yeah I'm not exactly sure why this is but the vitamins won't help at after a certain point.

So to sum it up the vitamins suck lol.

Top Bottom