• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downsmash Edgeguarding Potential

Wreck_94

Smash Rookie
I know that there are probably better alternatives to this, but I've noticed that at the ledge, a correctly spaced dsmash can stage spike opponents for a kill when trying to recover to the ledge. I was curious on other Pika's thoughts on this and its viability in a set.

N64

Smash Champion
If they don't tech, it's a fine option. The hitbox is not that great lined up against some upBs (it doesn't hit low/far enough out, and some upBs will just beat it) but you have a lot of leeway with the timing, so you can cover a few of their upB timings.

One thing/trick I do really like is that at lower percents, it's untechable. The non-end hits of dsmash also have pretty set stuntime. This creates a killer combinations against fastfallers, as they will be pulled into the stage (but unable to tech) and by the time they get out of stun they've fallen so far that they can't recover (or in fox's case, get edgehogged). This is especially brutal against falcon, as his awful upB goes too high and he can't avoid getting hit by this (if he ends up offstage at <15%ish and chooses to recover low).

If they do tech, though, you can't really follow up with anything. Especially if you hit early in the dsmash, they'll be able to get to the edge or counterattack before you can do anything else, as dsmash has to finish its animation.

Wreck_94

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the insight. I figured utilizing this would be more implemented when the opportunity presented itself as opposed to a viable setup. Forward tilting is probably a safer, more applicable option. I'll try experimenting with it more in friendlies. I'm going to the Hidden Power Monthly in Mobile today and might try it out there too.

Top Bottom