• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Content (DLC): Yes or no? (Also regarding SpotPass and StreetPass)

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Remember how Sakurai had to scrap alot of things from Brawl ? Well, if that happened again for SSB4, something that he could do is finish these things and then release them as free DLC.

pokémoneinstein

Smash Cadet
DLC for music is a definite yes.
DLC for stages would be fine every now and then
DLC for characters is where it gets tricky. I say very rarely is okay, but for the most part, they should avoid it. I want the good characters in Smash from the get-go, and the characters who don't deserve that shouldn't be included at all. DLC for characters should really only be for the likes of Roy, Mewtwo, etc. Or using Brawl as an example, Mega Man or Geno would have been perfect characters to release DLC for. It's for the fans, really, and not much else.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Speaking of SpotPass, maybe it could operate in the following manner...

*If SpotPass is enabled, every day, you'll be given up to 10 snapshots, 10 replays, and 10 custom stages that other players have made. Up to 100 snapshots, 100 replays, and 100 custom stages can be received from SpotPass; if you've reached the maximum limit, the oldest snapshots, replays, and custom stages will be replaced.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I do. Used it all the time during the school year when I had to walk across the campus all day. It was fun to see what I'd receive that day as well as use up coins that I had earned.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
I'm always for Downloadable Content, as long as it is good Downloadable Content. I know it varies from person to person, but for me, it needs to feel like it fits in with the game. Smash Brothers has never made DLC before, and while there's fans who do fangames or model imports and the like, I don't feel like all the choices they've picked would fit in with the canon series.

The stuff they'd need to add work have to work well alongside Smash 4's character roster, item selection, trophy collection, sticker album (if they bring these back, which I have a feeling they will), stage selections, music choices, and pretty much anything else that makes Smash Brothers what it is.

As Frostwraith stated in their opening post (I apologize if I miss anything, I will openly admit I have not taken the time to read the topic in its entirety) Theme Packs would be the most logical route for them to go with Downloadable Content distributed by Nintendo itself.

These packs would contain a new character, the character-specific trophies (Such as that character's Classic Mode, All-Star Mode, and Final Smash trophies), a new stage to go with that character, maybe an item or two (Maybe one item and one Assist Trophy addition that is based upon that character's franchise), as well as a small group of exclusive trophies that are not character-specific, but cannot be obtained without purchasing the pack.

The price would be questionable, and may vary from one pack to another, depending on the additions. Like, a pack that only consists of trophies is going to cost less than all the pack contents I listed above, and a pack with a couple of characters and stages would cost roughly the same, a little more, or a little less.

As for StreetPass and SpotPass, I think that the best thing to do would be (if implemented) custom stages, snapshots and replays. Also, an interesting addition I was thinking of would be completion records, such as "This person completed Target Test 3 in 00:23:84! Wow! can you beat that?" This would give the players the incentive to do their best, in order to beat this person's record. If they don't beat it, that's fine. It at least gives one the incentive to beat their own personal record for that Target Test or Time Attack or whatever it happens to be.

tl;dr:
Yes. I support DLC, as long as it is priced fairly for what it contains, and we know exactly what's in the deal. SpotPass and StreetPass will be able to send custom stages, record times, snapshots and replays.

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
I think that DLC should be added after the game is completed. Then, in order to play online, you need to get a system update in order to display stages, chars, music, etc. Also, I think for characters and stages, I don't know what the price would be. Music packs should be maybe $0.25 each (Containing at least 5 songs each).

DLC for Smash 3DS and Wii U? Yes. It's long overdue, it HAS to happen.

Any character that had to be dropped from the roster (veteran or newcomer), could be released as add-on content.
Yes, yes, and yes. The characters that got dropped from Melee (Pichu, Doc Mario, etc..) NEED to come back, in some way, shape or form. It could also be used to add stages from previous Smashes into the game.

SteveRod1992

Smash Rookie
I like the idea of DLC for Characters. I think it could help get some characters from cult Nintendo franchises to get into the game that would never make it into the main game roster, such Characters as Ray (Custom Robo), Saki (Sin and Punishment), anyone from Advance War please! Hopefully this comes true, I'm in for DLC!

Isprayaxe

Smash Apprentice
I really hate this idea, IMO it's just for money and nintendo could be working on a new game instead of this. Just look at melee there was no dlc and were still having fun with it

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Assuming that Melee could get DLC, who wouldn't buy/download it in a heartbeat? (So long as the DLC isn't, "Updated Physics Engine to Match Brawl's Current Engine.") The true point of DLC is to have even more fun with a game beyond release, and for developers to give the players more content. The gaming industry has strayed away from that lately, but Nintendo knows what makes customers happy and will use DLC wisely.

That said, I would love DLC for SSB4. I can't remember if I posted in this thread before or not.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Adding dlc content and characters cause a bit of trouble for the competitive community. We have to ban that **** immediately because its not readily available for everyone to practice with.

:phone:

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
Im all for DLC, stage packs, custom packs, event packs, not sure If I would want other characters in the game for DLC though. If they add more characters I would want them to like a year or 2 later. Sounds crazy I know, but I don't think character DLC will be there. Nintendo has been smart with DLC so far.

SteveRod1992

Smash Rookie
Nintendo knows how to do DLC, look at the 3DS games such as New Super Mario Bros. 2, Fire Emblem Awakening, and soon Animal Crossing New Leaf. I trust Nintendo with DLC. I wouldn't even mind if the DLC was yearly.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Adding dlc content and characters cause a bit of trouble for the competitive community. We have to ban that **** immediately because its not readily available for everyone to practice with.

That only applies to console exclusives like Kratos in MK9 and time exclusive ones like the DLC characters in TTT2. Since about November, all the Tekken DLC characters are legal.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Another very compelling argument... /sarcasm

Im all for DLC, stage packs, custom packs, event packs, not sure If I would want other characters in the game for DLC though. If they add more characters I would want them to like a year or 2 later. Sounds crazy I know, but I don't think character DLC will be there. Nintendo has been smart with DLC so far.
The whole packs idea has worked fine in previous Nintendo games with DLC. Think Fire Emblem: Awakening in which each "pack" is a stage, alongside a new character to play and in some DLC content, stuff like expanding the story, as well as exclusve items and special classes to use as well.

Some of the DLC in Awakening is also pretty challenging, from what I've heard.

They could have DLC event matches purposely made to: either including eventual DLC characters or make difficult challenges like defeating Master Hand and Crazy Hand each with 600+ HP or an All-Star Match against giant characters.

Isprayaxe

Smash Apprentice
I don't think any dlc that greatly changes competitive play should be added (characters)

I guess maps, costumes, and events wouldn't be a bad thing tho

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I don't think any dlc that greatly changes competitive play should be added (characters)

I guess maps, costumes, and events wouldn't be a bad thing tho
even new stages have impacts on the scene. but yeah, characters are going to be the #1 most likely DLC, so it's inevitable.

I guess we could use PASBR as a ref and see what happens with their scene since their first character DLC came out today.....could serve as a hint of what will happen with Smash 4.

Isprayaxe

Smash Apprentice
even new stages have impacts on the scene. but yeah, characters are going to be the #1 most likely DLC, so it's inevitable.

I guess we could use PASBR as a ref and see what happens with their scene since their first character DLC came out today.....could serve as a hint of what will happen with Smash 4.
Yea your probably right about this ill keep up with what happens

Renji64

Smash Lord
I'm fine with dlc long as it is done correctly. I think it should be free for smash bros so everyone has it. They should have stages,music and characters. But they should also have user generated content.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Thinking how long can be Smash's life's span without them, DLC could easily make this game basically infinite.
Anyway, I think smaller things like trophies or stickers could be free. Like, a new trophy every week, just for fun (they could make even more though). For characters and stages, I'd pay almost every price.
Even stages parts from the editor could be added, the possibilities are endless.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
IF there is DLC, I only see stages really, unless they do something like, already have two characters balanced after innitial release, and then at a later date make them available. I don't see Sakurai spending any "over time" in Smash4.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I'm betting Iwata is going to insist on DLC for Smash. It's been doing very well for NSMB2 and Fire Emblem. Even if Sakurai personally doesn't want to deal with I'm certain we are in for some.

Just like at NSMBU and that insane Luigi expansion... 80 brand new stages... If that sales well just forget about DlC free Smash.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, if there is DLC, it will be left up to Namco to make. (Nintendo obv won't make it if it's characters) And I don't see Sakurai having anything to do with staying on a Smash project longer than he needs. So yeah, if they give it DLC, it will be Sakurailess, and its going to HAVE to be made by Namco. That could be a problem

D

Deleted member

I hope some characters are on disc unlockables. I heard many people were infuriated about what capcom did to Street Fighter X Tekken. Hackers found on disc data for DLC characters. If they're on disc, they shouldn't be DLC. I heard not a lot of people are willing to pay for DLC. Gaming companies just need money during times of recession. I'm good with the usual method of unlocking characters in Super Smash Bros series. Meet certain conditions then challenge the character and win.

finalark

SNORLAX
DLC is just one big pile of nope for me. I miss the days when you just dropped $40-$60 dollars one a game ONCE and you got everything the game had to offer by playing it.

In theory I should be fine with DLC, but the fact that many times its either A: content that was cut from the original game B: on-disk or C: day 1, the final one of these is the most infuriating to me.

I know a lot of developed have this stupid thought that the only way to keep people playing their games is through DLC but that's a load of bull****. Many people play decade old multiplayer games because they're just that good. Quake III, Melee and Warcraft III still all have huge community that play them avidly. And multiplayer isn't the only way to keep people playing your game. To this day people are discovering new things about Morrowind and I'm willing to bet if the devs behind Arkham Asylum hadn't gotten impatient and told people where the super hidden room was it would have been quite a while before it was found.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Nintendo is pretty ethical with things like this. For a while they completely ignored the possibility of DLC but now that they're using it they said they would never release content that should be on the disk as DLC.

I have a feeling that DLC for SSB4 will be clean and developed after the game. I'm all for it.
I mean, with DLC we won't have people cut due to "time restrains" at least.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'd be happy with DLC. It's more content, so I don't see the problem.
Also, Nintendo tends to be kind with their DLC. Offering a lot of freebies and reasonable prices for other DLC.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
I prefer minor DLC like new items or music from new Nintendo games released after Smash 4. I'm just afraid that if DLC characters are incorporated into this game, the developers might just take the easy way out and just make us buy all the newcomers. But that's very unrealistic.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I prefer minor DLC like new items or music from new Nintendo games released after Smash 4. I'm just afraid that if DLC characters are incorporated into this game, the developers might just take the easy way out and just make us buy all the newcomers. But that's very unrealistic.
This is Nintendo we're talking about, not Crapcom. Knowing Nintendo, DLC characters will probably be free or, at the most, a dollar.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did encounter some monkey wrenches with my inputs on the last few pages.

Apparently, you can't store any Wii U data onto your SD card, but I have noticed that whenever new updates are available, they're installed before you start your game. If DLC is ever implemented into Smash 4, whenever new DLC is available at the eShop, your update data for Smash 4 will be updated to support the new content.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I did encounter some monkey wrenches with my inputs on the last few pages.

Apparently, you can't store any Wii U data onto your SD card, but I have noticed that whenever new updates are available, they're installed before you start your game. If DLC is ever implemented into Smash 4, whenever new DLC is available at the eShop, your update data for Smash 4 will be updated to support the new content.
That's actually a really good point. But I think you should still have to unlock DLC characters.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What I mean is that the update will add the DLC materials into the game, but you can't use the materials until you've purchased them at the eShop. Also, you'd have to update your game's update data to continue using the Nintendo Network, just to avoid any issues with the DLC.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Maybe do like Capcom does for Monster Hunter and add various Event missions and title and costume customization options as free DLC.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Shortie brought a good point regarding Sakurai and DLC. I'd hope he'd stay for them but maybe he might not if he really feels burned out from Smash Bros. (-l.l-);;

Namco would give us some Namco DLC too for extra 3rd Parties, hopefully. Tekken, Tales Of, etc... (-*v*-)

The Fatal Ninja

Smash Rookie
As long as the game is packed with TONS of content, the DLC is developed after release, and its fairly priced, then I guess it'd be alright.

Top Bottom