• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Content (DLC): Yes or no? (Also regarding SpotPass and StreetPass)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
DLC? Definitely. As long as it is not used as a ploy to leave a few things out specifically for it. However Sakurai is one of the few developers that I doubt he would do that, so I'm good.

Music would be neat but that would need to be free. Any new stages or characters could have a low price to pay and I wouldn't mind since they'd probably be worth it. Any veteran that is cut for any reason (minus Young Link) should be able to come back some time or another in the future. Why actively avoid the chance to bring life to characters you couldn't finish when you finally have the technology to fix that?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So far all my Wii U games with DLC have been free...
With the exception of Luigi U which was basically a whole other game.

Smash DLC will most likely be free, and it`ll be released to pump life back into it once it dies a bit.. meaning more advertising... more sales etc.

I think DLC will just be character packs... maybe some maps or movesets in the packs aswell. idk.
probably for those characters that just didn`t make the cut but still had a popular demand.
The Krystals and bowser Jr`s of the world.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
So far all my Wii U games with DLC have been free...
With the exception of Luigi U which was basically a whole other game.

Smash DLC will most likely be free, and it`ll be released to pump life back into it once it dies a bit.. meaning more advertising... more sales etc.

I think DLC will just be character packs... maybe some maps or movesets in the packs aswell. idk.
probably for those characters that just didn`t make the cut but still had a popular demand.
The Krystals and bowser Jr`s of the world.
The 3ds has been pumping out the paid DLC though. I really hope they don't have paid DLC.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The 3ds has been pumping out the paid DLC though. I really hope they don't have paid DLC.
Yeah you're right, and I agree paid DLC does suck.

However my love for Smash may justify purchasing DLC if the content to price ratio is fair enough.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
Characters as paid DLC would suck. Trophies, ATs, Items costumes or stages would be OK as paid DLC imo.

I'd like to see costume DLC and maybe stage DLC, some paid some not, i don't care. Break the Targets or similar modes or stages for those modes would be cool DLC too, like Smash Run DLC with a different map.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Characters as paid DLC would suck. Trophies, ATs, Items costumes or stages would be OK as paid DLC imo.

I'd like to see costume DLC and maybe stage DLC, some paid some not, i don't care. Break the Targets or similar modes or stages for those modes would be cool DLC too, like Smash Run DLC with a different map.
Personally I'd be happier paying for characters than for trophies or costume changes. Paying money for regular trophies would be beyond ridiculous.

Characters are at the top of the pile, so if I had to pay for anything it would make sense for it to be them. Characters and Stages are the only two things I'd happily pay money for.

That said, I'd rather buy packs with a character, stage, music, AT, trophies/stickers and misc stuff bundled together.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well Nintendo had been doing DLC for the likes of Fire Emblem Awakening 3DS as well as the upcoming Mario Golf World Tour.

As for the additional Smash Bros DLC content, personally I do not mind as long as Nintendo/Sakurai can continue to support the franchise.

Whether the DLC is free or paid, I will be happy enough to have either option.

lami

Smash Journeyman
The inherent problem with DLC is that oftentimes, it splits the community between those that bought the DLC and those that didn't. You avoid this problem by not charging for any DLC that makes a huge difference in the game (i.e. stages, characters) or making DLC limited to cosmetic items. (Costumes) It probably won't have the same effect with a fighting game like smash, though the risk of alienating players or cutting out parts of the game to make an extra buck is always an underlying problem.

Last edited:
DLC is a must. Both the Wii U and 3DS are capable of providing it. Plus it would make lots of fans happy.

Free DLC for Smash Bros.? You have a god tier game here!

Poots

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of SpotPass, maybe it could operate in the following manner...

*If SpotPass is enabled, every day, you'll be given up to 10 snapshots, 10 replays, and 10 custom stages that other players have made. Up to 100 snapshots, 100 replays, and 100 custom stages can be received from SpotPass.
It would be cool if you could save your favorite stages on the WiiU version. That might actually be apart of the interactivity between the two versions Sakurai was talking about.

domriver

Smash Lord
DLC? I would enjoy it - However, I don't want them to withhold characters when it is already on the game and can only unlock them by paying. Don't get me wrong I don't mind to pay for Packages. A few bucks won't hurt. But wouldn't this interfere with online play? If you have the latest updated Smash can you really play with any other who hasn't done the update?

I'm all for it as long as its used correctly.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Anyway, there a few question that could be brought: how much are people willing to pay? Or should these contents be free?
I would say I would be happy to pay for any DLC depending on what content is being offered. The only thing that I think has to be free is patching for sure.

Hypothetically if they released a thematic pack of content for a certain price for example:

Sample Majora's Mask themed Pack
Includes:
1 character (Skull Kid) + Single Player Trophies (like Melee's Classic, Adventure and All-Star's trophies or Brawl's Character and Final Smash trophies)
1 stage (Clock Town)
5 trophies (Deku Link, Majora's Mask, Happy Mask Salesman, Moon, Four Giants)
Price: 7€
I think that could work. After all, Mario Golf World Tour are already offering this. They could also do a season's pass as well if done right.

1. Could DLC add more replay value to the game?

2. In a nutshell: Are you for or against DLC? And how could DLC work if included?
1. I would generally say yes to that. It would be a way for a company to continue to provide further support for the game.

2. I'm not exactly against the inclusion to DLC at all. I only purchase DLC content if it is something that I want or interested me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The only DLC content I really feel is worth adding to Smash is:

-Content they could not finish in time for release, such as characters. In the past, this would result in things being cut. With DLC, they can meet their deadline, but incorporate otherwise cut content at a later date.
-Alternate Costumes, if they are not implemented for every character in the vanilla game.
-Extra music tracks. Possibly adding tracks from newer games in a franchise that come out after Smash, such as Zelda Wii U.
-New Smash Run map or two.

Tetraplex

Smash Cadet
I don!'to see a problem as long as content isn't intentionally left out as dlc. But like others have said, Sakurai doesn't seem like he'd go that route and so far Nintendo has steered clear of it. Besides, having records in single player modes transferred over via street pass could be cool.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
I'd definitely buy some DLC characters as long as you can transfer the characters between the Wii U and 3DS version, cause I'm not buying the characters twice.

Auxeiliary

Smash Rookie
my issue is, i dont seem to share the same wallets as everyone else here. shelling out $40 for a game that should go for food or bills is already a bit of an issue. if i had the money id gladly pay, however not everyone does. the ones who do get the new char or content get to enjoy the game fully and the ones who don't get to experience the wonders of being poor in a game they bought. honestly, nothing deters me from buying a game quite like the knowledge i will never be able to fully enjoy it without spending more. that being said, i do believe certain things should be sold, as a way to extend the game. but i don't think all the dlc should cost.
free dlc: characters patches and stages
paid for dlc: music packs, costumes, and event missions (ie: extra modes and such).
that way the person who payed $40 for the game doesn't get "nickled and dimed" just to keep in the competitive scene
while those who have money can get plenty of things to occupy their time and extend the life of the game.
poor players get to enjoy the game as well
rich players or slightly more wealthy can get extra stuff to occupy them.
win - win

linszoid

Smash Cadet
I'm all for paid dlc as long as there's good content at a reasonable price. Characters included.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
I'm all in for DLC, a few missing things make DLC more likely, such as the absense of Rock Pikmin which Sakurai even calls attention to, although this may be because they planned for Alph to be his own character with Rock Pikmin but they ran out of time.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88

Sorry, but. Why the HELL do you say paying for TROPHIES would be alright but for characters it wouldn't?

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Sorry, but. Why the HELL do you say paying for TROPHIES would be alright but for characters it wouldn't?
Some people don't like the idea of new character as it will shake up the competitive scene rather than letting it stagnate into a 5 person roster. They are weird.

I'm not sure if 1 month counts as a necro but they still aren't allowing discussion of DLC until it's confirmed so this will probably be closed.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I'd only accept DLC if it brought back previously cut characters. If it added new ones, I would not want DLC at all.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Omg, I didn't even see this was over a month old, sorry.
Wraith was the one who did it so don't worry. Kinda funny it was necroed from April to August and then again.

I'd only accept DLC if it brought back previously cut characters. If it added new ones, I would not want DLC at all.
Will never understand this viewpoint. Why don't you want new characters?

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Wraith was the one who did it so don't worry.

Will never understand this viewpoint. Why don't you want new characters?
DLC for a fighting game is just a bad idea. Actually for any competitive game, it's just a bad idea. But particularly for a fighting game. Actually in any other fighting game series, the fans speak out against it. Smash is an anomaly in that people actually want it.

I'm not even really for it for just the old cut characters that much but most of them (Mewtwo, Wolf for example) have been proven not to really unbalance the game with their inclusion, so I don't really care. I don't want a really awesome character behind the paywall forcing people to either buy the DLC or end up with an incomplete game.

Also if they HAD to put in new characters this way for whatever reason, I'd want them to start by giving the fans that had their favorites cut, their characters back. And I think that's not only the right thing to do, but Sakurai will more than likely address it this way since it kills him to make cuts, so he'd probably speak out to get those characters back in before adding anyone new.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
I'd love free DLC for character alts, because while many characters got really cool skins (Kirby's maskless MK thing, Alph etc), others such as Toon Link didn't get super obvious alts like Outset or Conductor which is kind of disappointing because so many other characters got really cool ones. As for characters, I feel like that's really a matter of content. Cut characters is a great one, but as for newcomers I feel that those would be paid which is something I'm not really for. Of course, if it's just a matter of the characters weren't finished before initial release and that they were free I'd completely support it, but I just doubt that will be the case if there is any.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I don't want a really awesome character behind the paywall forcing people to either buy the DLC or end up with an incomplete game.

Also if they HAD to put in new characters this way for whatever reason, I'd want them to start by giving the fans that had their favorites cut, their characters back. And I think that's not only the right thing to do, but Sakurai will more than likely address it this way since it kills him to make cuts, so he'd probably speak out to get those characters back in before adding anyone new.
Considering they've gotten almost 50 characters in the game that aren't overpowered and seem quite balanced for a smash game I don't think that is something you'd have to worry about. I can understand certain popular returnees getting in but Wolf, Lucas, and Mewtwo are the only ones I can think of returning that were popular. Maybe Ivysaur.
I'd love free DLC for character alts, because while many characters got really cool skins (Kirby's maskless MK thing, Alph etc), others such as Toon Link didn't get super obvious alts like Outset or Conductor which is kind of disappointing because so many other characters got really cool ones. As for characters, I feel like that's really a matter of content. Cut characters is a great one, but as for newcomers I feel that those would be paid which is something I'm not really for. Of course, if it's just a matter of the characters weren't finished before initial release and that they were free I'd completely support it, but I just doubt that will be the case if there is any.
Everyone supports free DLC. Don't know why they wouldn't. But it's still a business and they are going to cost money.

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Considering they've gotten almost 50 characters in the game that aren't overpowered and seem quite balanced for a smash game I don't think that is something you'd have to worry about. I can understand certain popular returnees getting in but Wolf, Lucas, and Mewtwo are the only ones I can think of returning that were popular. Maybe Ivysaur.
I think you're speaking a little too soon.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
Everyone supports free DLC. Don't know why they wouldn't. But it's still a business and they are going to cost money.
Yeah, it's unfortunate but that's true. They'll take any chance they can take to get money, not that I hate them for it or anything. It isn't a charity. As long as they don't ask for a huge price for it I'm okay with it, but expensive newcomers (As in UMvC3 buy another $60 game with just a few more characters and stuff that should have been there before) would put me off it a little bit.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
So you don't want the only way we could ever get Ridley?
"I want to enjoy other people's hard work for free" That's what I'm getting from this.

Top Bottom