• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down smash problem

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
I tried looking at the hitbox website but it seems like its down now... does anyone have the program that can send it to me?

Anyways... I'm having such a hard time with downsmash... I can handle falcos just fine with sheik except for the fact that I cant edge gaurd. Sometimes i dont have the time to run off and whack them so i want to dsmash at the ledge... but it seems like it never hits...

Can anyone help me with details on how to downsmash the fire foxes?... is the head count as a hitbox? or only the legs? does it hit the sweet spot? should i do it right when they are bout to hit me?... cuz it seems like it always goes through me... but when i firefox to them and they do it, they always hit me...

piece of crap. lol.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
I don't down smash to edge guard unless I'm desperate, so... Just jump up and hit them with a needle, follow them down and slap them. Or use the needle ot edge hog, bair them.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
It sounds like your opponents have grown comfortable just sweetspotting the ledge, making you unable to downsmash them. Just edgehog -> roll when they upB toward the edge. And when downsmashing if you know they aren't going to sweetspot don't forget to space, you want your legs to be hitting the edge not your body. If your too close the the ledge you will most likely either get hit and he recovers or you both get hit.

yomedrath

Smash Apprentice
i started using Downsmash against fox and Falco, and its not really hard to get
you have to be at the very edge of the platform, so the head pretty much sticks out.
then, you can hit them right after you let go (i always charge it a bit).
i dont have any examples, but it pretty much always works, except when i do it a little to early or late
hope it helps you, maybe i can get an example vid sometime :)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The head never actually becomes a hitbox, but the leg hitbox overlaps the head, making it seem that way.

If they're sweetspotting, it's seriously easier to just wavedash to an edgehog.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Throw the needles down at him and slap him, the down smash isn't good for dealing with a really good sweet spotter as a space animal.. needle to throw them off and in the same movement follow to the Fair.. Pwned

AS Money

Smash Lord
The nair and bair is a better edge gaurd against falco beacuse he dosn't need to be knocked that far away to kill him and with the slap is harder to hit than sex kick

King Leonidas

Smash Apprentice
Be like KDJ.

Drop from the edge, nair (or fair or bair >_> ) and hit them. Even if you get hit, you will kill them.

Fitty cent

Smash Rookie
you have to be careful not to slam down of the ledge too hard when you use the sex kick. i've plummeted to my death quite a few times

Ijuka

Smash Ace
The head does not have a hitbox, only the edges of the legs. I would space myself properly, but they can always walltech it into forward B. With Sheik I would just jump off and gay them somehow, or needle them.

tw0 side

Smash Apprentice
Try not to use it for edgeguarding. Needles/Fair/Bair are more effective manuvers for edgeguarding.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
yeah the dsmash isnt connecting cuz their sweet spotting...u have to try o hit them before they touch the stage..if u can dtitl and have ur leg reach off of the stage..that should be pretty effective..and then when they get popped up u fair them...peace

-hiroshi

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
The main problem I usually see with D-Smashing as an edgeguard is that sometimes you just get too close to do it, and othertimes they sweetspot it the ledge and make it miss period. Needles and D-Tilts are better, and can both be followed by chasing them up with the tilt or down with the needles and Fairing them for the kill.
As a side note, today I played a game against a Fox. I never used any move other than D-Smash to hit. I won. It was scary. I still almost hate myself for it. XD

Top Bottom