• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

down dodge too good

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I don't get it. I watched the whole video and there were maybe all of two significant spotdodges that occurred (as in, ones that effectively dodged an attack and not an attack that whiffed by default like Flame Chokes that collided with the ledge instead of getting back on stage) and they occurred well within their invincibility frames. There was never a time that WuvS spotdodged out of a roll (and you did manage to catch him out of rolls easily) and there was no showing of a spot dodge that looks sketchy in its intangibility frames.

So... what's the problem again?

Wing T

Smash Rookie
I have never heard anyone complain that spot-dodge was broken before. Very odd.

On the subject of terminology, I much prefer spot-dodge to down-dodge, side-step, side dodge, etc. for one simple reason. Spot-dodge describes the utility or function of the action more accurately, while the other other terms describe the animation (or in the case of down-dodge, the controller input).

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
Well alright then I guess. Reflex has complained before but all in all guess I was wrong. HAPPY? I WAS WRONG lmao now you kids can have a boner about hiw I said I was wrong lol. Anyways I'm not a **** player. Dodging punishes is just clearly something I'm having trouble with. I have other videos too. Its tough for ganon in the long haul.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Look, there's a way to ask for help or data on things without coming off as or acting cocky which was the entire problem people had with you in this thread (and well, that other one). You have shown that you're clearly not a bad player, but just have a skill-based issue on baiting/conditioning and punishing dodges. And there's really nothing wrong with that; we've all got our own flaws to work out as well.

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
Well alright then I guess. Reflex has complained before but all in all guess I was wrong. HAPPY? I WAS WRONG lmao now you kids can have a boner about hiw I said I was wrong lol. Anyways I'm not a **** player. Dodging punishes is just clearly something I'm having trouble with. I have other videos too. Its tough for ganon in the long haul.
Calls people kids, and uses terms like "lmao", "boner", and ****. You're not helping your case. I'm pretty sure you would get more respect if you left out the former half of your post, and just typed in the latter half.

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
Ummmmmm I'm pretty sure adults say boner and kids wtf? And lmao is used by everyone too. Just stop bro.

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
You're not terrible, but you're not great.

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
Most of you guys don't even play ganon. Sure I could pick link or fox and falco and play top tier characters too. But kage for that matter hasn't even really played project m since 2.5 I believe. And I never said I was better than kage I said I would like to be better than kage. And I admit my ken and pc chris comment was realky far fetched. But ill own up to my mistakes unlike some other people around here. Bottom line is I wanted to be a ganon main and that's how its going to stay. I don't give credit to a lot of high tier players because those characters have advantages right from the start. Someone pist me a video of pm ganon winning a tourney and I mean ganon the whole way and then you guys can tell me he's a great and fantastic character. Kts easy to say someone isn't good or great when they play a lesser character. On that note I respect you nick riddle. I wanted to play link in pm really bad but found out he's high tier (according to m2k and metroid) nothing excites me about a top tier tournament win. Hear me out. If someone tells you fox won a tourney there's really nothing special about that right? But if someone tella you that olimar or toon link won you would be like THATS AMAZING!!. PROPS for kirk winning with bowser at big house 3. Now THATS exciting.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Most of you guys don't even play ganon. Sure I could pick link or fox and falco and play top tier characters too. But kage for that matter hasn't even really played project m since 2.5 I believe. And I never said I was better than kage I said I would like to be better than kage. And I admit my ken and pc chris comment was realky far fetched. But ill own up to my mistakes unlike some other people around here. Bottom line is I wanted to be a ganon main and that's how its going to stay. I don't give credit to a lot of high tier players because those characters have advantages right from the start. Someone pist me a video of pm ganon winning a tourney and I mean ganon the whole way and then you guys can tell me he's a great and fantastic character. Kts easy to say someone isn't good or great when they play a lesser character. On that note I respect you nick riddle. I wanted to play link in pm really bad but found out he's high tier (according to m2k and metroid) nothing excites me about a top tier tournament win. Hear me out. If someone tells you fox won a tourney there's really nothing special about that right? But if someone tella you that olimar or toon link won you would be like THATS AMAZING!!. PROPS for kirk winning with bowser at big house 3. Now THATS exciting.
I see where that's coming from, I was moreso commenting on your punishes/options. It seems you auto-pilot often with your approaches, which makes you look like a mid-level player.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Now the topic focus has gone from Spot dodges to burning Shwick on his abilities.. =/

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
If you want to play a character, not doing so because of a perceived tier placement which may not even be accurate is the stupidest f***ing thing I've ever heard on these boards. Especially in this game.

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
If you want to play a character, not doing so because of a perceived tier placement which may not even be accurate is the stupidest f***ing thing I've ever heard on these boards. Especially in this game.
But if you play a top tier and do good you won't get enough attention!

Please understand

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
Like all the Amsa hype.
Low tier fights always get my attention on Melee x]
But this isn't Melee. Placement of characters should not matter in this game.

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
If you want to play a character, not doing so because of a perceived tier placement which I'm ay not even be accurate is the stupidest f***ing thing I've ever heard on these boards. Especially in this game.

Its really not. I want to do the unthinkable. Not jump on the fox falco band wagon and win with up throw up airs and some up smashes. Yea Ill pass. And not wanting to win with a cheap character or character that's already desighned to be better is a much better feat than winning with someone everyone knows is gunna win... boorriinngg. I will continue to work on ganon. Screw wining with spacies or top tiers. I'd rather win with ice climbers.

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
I get it. But if u win with someone who doesn't ever win there's no johns, no bull no of course he won. Only wow. And that's awesome. This makes sense to me lol

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Believe me, it doesn't matter what character you use. Johners are gonna john. I've heard a dude johning about how Ganon's fair comes out too quick or that "there's nothing I can do to get back on stage" after I double eliminated him. This was coming from a guy who was playing as Mario, who is usually regarded as a high tier character in PM. Just play who you find fun, don't choose who you want to play because of some crappy tier list that CT made. Seriously, the only real bad thing about Olimar so far is that his pikmin AI can be inconsistent and Toon Link ain't bottom tier.

Fortress

Smash Master
Play with who makes you comfortable. I play as Sheik since Sheik is easymode for talentless hacks like me. If somebody like me can come in the top 33% at NWM just because they're comfortable with their character, then so can you. Don't pick Fox just because he's got the most potential of the cast if you can't do anything with him, stick to who you can play well with.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Same here. I hate the terms "spot-dodge" and "down-dodge", which I had never heard before until now. Dunno why the community is so intent on using different terms.
Side step is what Nintendo calls it, and it usually makes sense, but not all characters step to the side. The reason "spot dodge" caught on is because ALL characters dodge and stay in one spot when they do this. You can use either and people will know what you mean.

Also I'd like to say that "sidestep" being it's official name might have something to do with why it isn't called that by the community. Fighting game scenes have a habit of coming up with their own slang/lingo for things in the game. Why did "Smooth/Perfect Landing" ever get called "L-Cancel"? You don't even have to press L to do it, you can press R or Z as well. Just one of those silly things. I guess that one bothers me because the term people used to replace the original with makes less sense than the original.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
It was my understanding that it stood for lag cancelling, which I think makes more sense than perfect landing.

ETA: Ninja'd xD

Last edited:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I doubt it originally did, but it could definitely be interpreted as such. The reason I doubt that is because Lag is the same amount of syllables as L, and therefore has no reason to be abbreviated, except to make it quicker to type, which also doesn't make sense because it would have become common to type "LC" instead of "l cancel".
Also, I don't see how lag cancel makes any more or less sense than smooth landing. Especially since you aren't canceling lag, you're shortening it.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
^ Thank god

Speaking of the stuff we've been speaking of. I'd love to read a Smash History book, like The Documentary but more in-depth and covering the evolution of the terminology and stuff like that. Man that would be sweet.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
That would be so boss. I have been doing writings on Smash but they are not at all in that department. They're very deep tutorials for beginners.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Wasn't there another smash documentary being made or something? That sounds like the sort of thing to cover in the next doc.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's a feature-length addition to the series being made.

Over 2 years ago, I ran a moderately successful Kickstarter for The Smash Brothers Series. Since it was released, I've gotten my fair share of praise for the work, but I've also gotten pleas for the stories of the modern players I didn't or couldn't cover adequately.

Well, now is your chance to see it happen.

The story of Armada: His meteoric Melee career - from humble beginnings to a rise to near unbeatable status - all wrapped up in an international rivalry with that other unbeatable smash all-star, Mango.

But it's not just Armada. From the South, propelled with shouts of "Stack It Up", the devout down-airing combo machine known as Dr. PP wrestling his way to the Top 5, along with veterans Hungry Box and Mew2King.

The end goal is to have something that could play in theaters; a stand-alone story that anyone, even those who know nothing of The Smash Brothers, could watch and get wrapped up in.

Production quality will be a top priority this time around with funds earmarked for high-end graphical work, top-notch music tracks and audio. I'm keeping my staff as slim as possible to stretch our dollars, but feature quality demands a certain level of investment you just can't get around.

If I can't make it amazing, I don't want to make it at all. So please, help me make it amazing. I've got some special surprises for this project that will only happen if we get our minimum goal. SO LET'S DO THIS.

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
I get it. But if u win with someone who doesn't ever win there's no johns, no bull no of course he won. Only wow. And that's awesome. This makes sense to me lol
You're focused on tiers to much. Just play who's fun. Fox is fun to play. Stop looking for the glory points and just play the game.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Also, Tink ain't bottom tier, yo. You see a Tink in a tourney, BE CAREFUL. Tink does work, son.

Top Bottom