• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down cargo down air spiking.

pizzapotamus

Smash Rookie
Ok so we all know about the cargo stage spiking and its greatness, but for stages on which this is not possible, I've been doing another spike combo that actually doesn't require that the opponent be at >40%.

If you cargo down toss them off the stage, it is a simple matter to just short hop off the stage and follow up with a down air and then hop back up. You can kill many characters at 0% this way if you grab them close to the edge and/or they don't get free in time.

While not as 100% effective as a well-placed stage spike, it works on more stages.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
yeah, basically any throw off the ledge will work, dthrow, cargo dthrow, and bthrow (if you double jump) will set up spikes, but if they don't jump into it it doesn't really matter. works great on snake and anyone else with a strictly vertical recovery though

DK!

Smash Cadet
I have used on just about all the platform stages. I tend to do it around 20 so I know they won't come back. Problem is that if you do it often, some will learn to tech off the angled wall and get the edge b4 u. Have to be careful and accurate.

IR.O.B.edC.Falcon

Smash Apprentice
With some characters, you dont have to spike them at all. Some characters at around 20% you can fall of the edge and down cargo and they won't be able to recover at all, most noticeable with marth, because you can do this to them at 30% and then up b stall on the ledge and the won't be able to recover

ook

Smash Lord
Yeah, this also works with fair.

I use fair more, because I always end up accidentally fastfalling and killing myself when I dair.

If you fair and start to fastfall about halfway through the move , you can usually get back and it'll hit them if they're lower.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
The opponent can fast fall to avoid you. My roommates figured that out since I used this combo a lot before. Just stay on your toes and you can do it.

Omega Deman

Smash Apprentice
Are you talking about fast falling after being cargo thrown or when knocked of the stage in general? Either way DK's spike rules.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Anyone with the capability to delay their recovery back to the stage will do so. A smart player will also double jump airdodge through your Dair, or jump backwards out or range then UpB. It's definitely not something to overlook, as you will catch people with it from time to time, but it's not by any means unavoidable.

Also, if you grab someone after/during their second jump, walk off the edge to Cargo Dthrow is great since grabs don't reset jumps anymore. This is particularly useful against people that walltech well.

Top Bottom