• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down-b Platform to Platform

ioc2much

Smash Rookie
So I went to a tourny recently and decided to try something out and it turned out fairly well for me. On stages such as dreamland 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island ect when your standing on one of the 2 lower platforms use the down-b to move from one platform to the other. I found it to be useful for quick movement with not much lag and on top of that with the taller characters such as Falcon and in dittos often times they wouldn't see this coming and I would hit them for a fair amount of damage. Just wondering what other people thought of this and if anybody else had used this with positive results.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
it's actually pretty useless. i don't think you can make it from one platform to the other on dreamland. i guess on marth's story you could, but the lag the the end is lame, and it doesn't have that great of priority. assuming someone is on the opposite platform, they can punish after the move is over, if they are below the platform, they can punish during the attack, and if they are above the platform, they can run in and punish after the attack is over. so unless they are behind you on the same platform, i don't see the use. and in that case, it would seem better to go under the platform or jump out of shield to the top platform to escape. i guess i just don't see how it could ever be useful, except to try and hit someone right in front of you, but in that case, jumping out of shield to uair, or even up+B is more useful and has better priority.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I've done this when I'm almost positive they are going to jump right into it. Oh, and when I have an extra couple stocks

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Agreed... too much lag at the end of the move. A sitting duck that is.
Incorporate more on ledge-dashing if you want to get around the platform stage easier... Ganondorf is a huge tank on crack if it is incorporated.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
uhh the problem with this is that there is enough lag for them to punish you. i have done this before and found that almost every time unhelpful. against a falcon its giving him a chance to knee you. not one of the most effective things to do.

ioc2much

Smash Rookie
Alright then a consensus has been reached. I don't know it seemed to work well for me I didn't spam it obviously used it about 6-8 times total and hit about 4 times and on the others no punishment odd. also never tried it on spacies just with real tall characters. But I guess I will stop doing this immediatly

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Usually pros are so confused by the decision to use this technique, that they just vomit and don't have the chance to punish you. Vomiting takes 61 frames, which is more than enough time to recover from your lag.

Magus420

Smash Master
I use it occasionally on getup when on a platform like if they are also on the platform waiting or shielding to grab you or something when you stand, since the pullback will usually dodge it and then hit them. Also other attacks if they happen to have the same spacing where it would be enough to maybe avoid it.

Top Bottom