• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down B is too good!

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
Might I just say, down b is too good. The amount you can affect your movement after you disappear is insane and it's great for tech chases! Also I've been using it to extend combos as a finisher. I've been using it mostly as a mix up (great when you cancel it to make it to platforms safely). But I was wondering if anybody else has been using this or found any creative ways to incorporate it into their game.

SAX

Smash Ace
It's pretty gimicky imo. But if they don't see it coming its a great kill move. Use it with the C-stick to make the sword hit come out instantly.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Down-B with MK is amazing. It has many (and I mean MAAAANY) different uses. Some of them being:

Mindgames
Movement
Combos
Kill move
Combo finishers
Recovery (basically a 6th jump that goes in any direction, and you are invulnerable during the jump. I've even used it as a kill move while recovering!)
Invulnerability
Approaching
Faking an approach
Dodging Projectiles
Passing through projectiles

Also, thanks for the tip with the C-stick, I was wondering how some people made it come out so fast.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I usually use it to get past someone's edgeguards, or if theyre charging an attack. Its sooo powerful. It can kill fast fallers in the neighborhood of 50%.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
You can hit MK out of his teleport before he vanishes. You can also hit him before emerges out of his teleport. Pay attention to how your opponent spaces with it and you'll have an attack ready to smash him in the face with.

Chef Besh

Smash Rookie
My favorite thing to do is use his down special on the ground to teleport up in the air, then use it again to get higher in the air (you can use specials after you teleport if you down special on the ground), then use the angled down air. A great approach. After doing this several times in a match, your opponent will usually adapt, so when they expect you to double cape in to the air, you can do a single cape and do an early slash with the c-stick.

DRGN

Technowizard
I agree that it kills way too early. Even against heavy characters such as DK or Samus. In a general sense, characters should generally be granted either speed or power, not both. That just spits in the face of slower (powerful) characters, lol.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I agree that it kills way too early. Even against heavy characters such as DK or Samus. In a general sense, characters should generally be granted either speed or power, not both. That just spits in the face of slower (powerful) characters, lol.
Fox - Upsmash
Jiggs - Rest
Shiek - Fair
Pikachu- Upsmash
Falcon - Knee

wtf are you talking about. Fast characters have strong kill moves all the time. Slow characters generally have bigger hitboxes, not stronger KB.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Something cool I starting doin, when you send someone off the edge, as their still close to it, run, drop below the ledge, hit them with ether a uair or a rising uair and down b them; bangin. People usually mess the Di on those uairs, in that situation.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
This move is heavily under-utilized imo. Its like being able to do an Fsmash anywhere, that you can feint, that can reach vertically, that can be micro-spaced, that can go through projectiles... Personally I think if this move isn't a core part of your game you are using this character wrong.

So for different uses I've found. Crouch cancel IDC, IDC OOS, IDC Edgegaurd/Ledge Cancel, Footstool IDC(Lmao), Uair/Ftilt/Dthrow/Uthrow/Dtilt > IDC. This is all stuff you can do besides just tech-chase with it.

Espi

Smash Journeyman
Fox - Upsmash
Jiggs - Rest
Shiek - Fair
Pikachu- Upsmash
Falcon - Knee

wtf are you talking about. Fast characters have strong kill moves all the time. Slow characters generally have bigger hitboxes, not stronger KB.
Sheik's Fair in PM sucks. Way worse than Melee.

Falchy

Smash Rookie
Might I just say, down b is too good. The amount you can affect your movement after you disappear is insane and it's great for tech chases! Also I've been using it to extend combos as a finisher. I've been using it mostly as a mix up (great when you cancel it to make it to platforms safely). But I was wondering if anybody else has been using this or found any creative ways to incorporate it into their game.
insanely good, but still has recovery and is easy to block/predict because of it's homing. it does kill a little early, but still balanced imo because its not necessarily the easiest thing to hit tbh

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I usually use it to Mind game someone an example is MK would Down throw and I would Down B in the direction I would think they will tech

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I love using his down-B in PM, it opens up so many options for follow-up.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Sheik's Fair in PM sucks. Way worse than Melee.
its literally the exact same fair. same stats and everything. shouldnt you know this by now? PM has been out for how long?

i usually only use MKs down b out of combos. uair combos, tech chases, and out of throws (uthrow is pretty good sometimes) i see that it gets the most use. against someone even relatively competitive, youre just going to get punished for approaching with it. its the same reason that his dair isnt meant to be an approach move out of neutral.

1FD

Smash Ace
This move is heavily under-utilized imo. Its like being able to do an Fsmash anywhere, that you can feint, that can reach vertically, that can be micro-spaced, that can go through projectiles... Personally I think if this move isn't a core part of your game you are using this character wrong.

So for different uses I've found. Crouch cancel IDC, IDC OOS, IDC Edgegaurd/Ledge Cancel, Footstool IDC(Lmao), Uair/Ftilt/Dthrow/Uthrow/Dtilt > IDC. This is all stuff you can do besides just tech-chase with it.
This basically
Nobody has even used Down B yet
That's how underdeveloped the Down B MK metagame is
No exaggeration
Move is good

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I really like Kappy's use of down-B in this video vs Oro?!

Unfortunately the commentators don't really understand the move... but I can't blame them. Nobody but MK players really have any idea!

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
This basically
Nobody has even used Down B yet
That's how underdeveloped the Down B MK metagame is
No exaggeration
Move is good
You must not know about gurukid
He will down b from anything and it's homin in on ya ass

@ Kappy Kappy when you get some of those uairs where they barely go up, you know that = a free nair?

Last edited:

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I prefer following up Uair with another Uair when they barely pop up because I think I have more options when I do that. LOL. Sometimes I'll follow up with Nair, but that's usually against bigger characters because the timing to use Uair -> Nair -> Grab is much more relaxed than against characters like Zero Suit.

And thanks 9bit! I've been trying to incorporate full Down B a little more into my game plan to punish laggy moves and catch some people off-guard as a tech chase since I rarely use it to tech chase.

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Unfortunately the commentators don't really understand the move... but I can't blame them. Nobody but MK players really have any idea!
Pretty much the truest thing I have ever read LOL

One time in tourney I pulled off a DC from the ledge, onto the stage and behind the opponent standing near the ledge, and turned it around to hit him offstage at the last second (I made a thread about this a while ago) on Green Hill Zone and it killed him at 40%. His exact words were "Literally what the ****" haha

Top Bottom