• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles Theory Crafting

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Watching APEX doubles has got me feelin doubles, so I figure I'd just find out what teams you guys think work well.

Personally, I'm finding success at locals with Diddy Kong/Sonic. Sonic's back throw is a great way to get secured kills, and Sonic can follow up at low percents off of a Diddy u-air with a spring -> u-air, making their vertical kill potential incredible, if not one of the best in teams.

Plus, a well synchronized team can use Sonic's speed and Diddy Kong's range to cover a large amount of the stage at a single time, making them a giant threat in neutral.

Last edited:

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Definitely Wario and PacMan, Wario can eat up PacMan's fruits to heal and charge his fart and both their recoveries are stellar (especially PacMan's team trampoline). I'm pretty sure Wario's bike can one hit PacMan's hydrant as well which is great too

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Definitely Wario and PacMan, Wario can eat up PacMan's fruits to heal and charge his fart and both their recoveries are stellar (especially PacMan's team trampoline). I'm pretty sure Wario's bike can one hit PacMan's hydrant as well which is great too
That actually sounds really, really good. I'm eager to see someone do that.

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
I think Villager and Kirby would do well together as they could preform doubles pocket shenanigans while still having diverse movesets between the two.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
yes. I have no idea how Kirby works in smash 4, so I wouldn't really mind an explanation.
Kirby D-air combos are already pretty great, now imagine a d-air combo followed by another by the other Kirby? F-air chins just got more swag, if the opponent gets off the stage it gg, since a double kirby edgeguard is almost unbeatable, you can swallow fellow Kirby and give him a boost upwards, or shoot him at your opponents and let him follow up, and smashes OP.

It isn't a godlike team, but it works and is very effective.

Saltix

Smash Lord
There's some pretty good players I frequently play doubles with and they've alerted me to the doubles threat that is Double Villager. That team is ridiculous.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Villager/Mega Man

Got a few seconds? Pocket a Charge Shot.
Mega Man leave his blade out? Pocket it for some double-buzzsaw shenanigans later.
Enemies taking to the skies? Pocket an Air Shooter for the double air dunk.
Feeling like 100% style? Pocket a spike

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Villager/Mega Man

Got a few seconds? Pocket a Charge Shot.
Mega Man leave his blade out? Pocket it for some double-buzzsaw shenanigans later.
Enemies taking to the skies? Pocket an Air Shooter for the double air dunk.
Feeling like 100% style? Pocket a spike
Pocket Rush Coil for the lulz

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
There's some pretty good players I frequently play doubles with and they've alerted me to the doubles threat that is Double Villager. That team is ridiculous.
I remember that when the game first came out, Hungrybox said that a villager team would be unstoppable. I think that a team of two fat characters (Bowser, DK, Dedede, etc.) would be amazing cause the strong attacks could catch the opposing team off guard and kill very early. Plus rage

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I can attest from personal experience that Rosalina really sucks at doubles. Her gameplay dynamics are like a stock tank's, but she's too light for the role. In the chaos of doubles, Luma spends too much time dead no matter what you do.

I kinda greatly prefer quads over doubles in this game. In quads, I'm going to tell you, Charizard Blast Burn is all you need to know. I'd probably run Blast Burn Charizard in doubles as well to be honest; that move is really, really good in a teams format.

Cheers

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys feel about Wario & Villager? Me and my friend had some success with that combo. Both of them can kill pretty early with Waft and the tree. Which is pretty hard to notice due to villagers projectiles and warios bike.

cree318

Smash Cadet
NNID
cree318
3DS FC
0301-9783-2199
I've always felt that Mario teamed up with a heavy hitter like Ganon or Ike makes a great team. FLUDD + powerful attacks (especially ones with great range) can catch unsuspecting teams. Two Villager's or one Villager and a teammate who can reflect projectiles also seem like a great team. Pocketed trees and bowling balls are super scary!

B_Cypher

Smash Rookie
I think DeDeDe is good in doubles
Yea D3 is really good for doubles mostly because of his hard hits and wall of pain abilities. Throw in a character with projectiles like Ness or Villager and youre golden. Tho Ness and Villager go with everyone...

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I can attest from personal experience that Rosalina really sucks at doubles. Her gameplay dynamics are like a stock tank's, but she's too light for the role. In the chaos of doubles, Luma spends too much time dead no matter what you do.

I kinda greatly prefer quads over doubles in this game. In quads, I'm going to tell you, Charizard Blast Burn is all you need to know. I'd probably run Blast Burn Charizard in doubles as well to be honest; that move is really, really good in a teams format.
I used her in some friendly doubles a while back on the 3DS and was able to successfully use Luma to mount a 1v2 comeback. But I was the first Rosalina player they had actually fought so that's not really indicative of her ability I guess.

It's true that keeping Luma alive in doubles is basically a lost cause.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Ness + G&W is good because PKT fills 2/3 of the bucket.

Ness + ZSS is good because top tier threats + healing.

Ness + Pikachu is good because top tier threats + double healing for some reason.

I think the following characters are significantly better in doubles than singles: Ness, Little Mac, G&W, Ganon.

Tempus

Smash Cadet
A good spike is great for doubles, as there are more players off-stage. Same for early kills off the top like MM's Tornado or ZSS up-B. Just more opportunity to get those early kills.

Villager's
pocket and tree make him an ideal doubles player both with a zoning partner and against any zoning team. A good spike too.

G&W's bucket makes him a 'Villager Lite'.

Ness has great support with a highly controllable projectile and a recovery move.

Little Mac is great if you have him paired with someone who has high horizontal knockback, it can really make effective use of his early kill potential.

Kirby can make effective use of down B and kirbicide, plus has a wider array of options for his neutral B.

Luigi can guarantee his Up-B with a grab hold from an ally, for very early kills.

Zelda has both a good spike and an early off the top kill move. A highly effective combo with anyone who has good throws or KB to keep the other team offstage or above stage.

Top Bottom