• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double D-Smash (!)

tpyo

Smash Cadet
So I'm just messing around against a lvl9 computer toon link (as falco) when I tap my c-stick down twice, and I perform two consecutive down smashes, with basically 0 delay after the first one, it felt kind of like the dash attack -> up smash (is it called DLX cancel? Sorry I'm not the most experienced brawler) Only this was d-smash -> d-smash with no delay

I saved a replay of it on my SD card, and once I figure out how to upload it, I will do so

I guess there's more detail I can mention right now, firstly, toon link had thrown a bomb, and I rolled towards him landing in front of him but facing away, I d-smash once, twice, and at the end of the 2nd d-smash I believe I was facing him.
Also, I'm not sure if this makes a huge difference since the bomb landed pretty far away, but it landed around the same time I did the first d-smash, so yeah

I guess I've gotta upload the video before anyone can make any definite conclusions on this, but yeah, it was pretty interesting, and if this is something that can be done easily and consistently, seems pretty nifty :D

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Congratulations! You just found out that Toon Link's bomb cancelled the ending lag of your first D-Smash!

tpyo

Smash Cadet
The bomb was pretty far away, I'm fairly certain that it wouldn't have hit falco, but it's a possibility, I should have paid more attention to falco's % I guess it would have gone up if the bomb hit

Also, apparently you can't convert brawl replays into videos without a video camera? So uploading a video might take a while longer, but I'll manage, or if anyone wants to share wii codes with me I can send it to them, that would also work

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
You can't convert any kind of smash video files into videos. Those files are just codings for the game to re-enact exactly what was pressed the first time. Video plz or it didn't happen...

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
You can't convert any kind of smash video files into videos. Those files are just codings for the game to re-enact exactly what was pressed the first time. Video plz or it didn't happen...
You don't have to question it like that. If someone provides a friend code who has a capture card, we can get this to youtube and verify it.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Did Toon Link powershield your first D-Smash ? Or did he shield ?

Did he do something while you two D-Smashes ?

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
instead of trying to figure out HOW it happened, try to figure out WHAT GOOD it would do if it happened with you.

Double D-Smash from how I see it is only useful if your first one got shielded. (but the second one could also get shielded).

Your enemy would already be very far out of range of a second D-smash anyway if you got him with the first one.

Do I believe it? Maybe.
Do I believe its useful? Probably not. :(

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Like Exousia said, there isn't much use for 2 D-smashes in a row, because chances are the first one knocked away anything in range.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be useful against opponenets who powerdodge as opposed to powershield excessively. If you're playing a sticky opponent who abuses the dodge + D-smash combo...how wouldn't this be useful? Save it until they least expect it and then pull out a double-smash for potential damage. If you miss and they shield...you might knock them far enough away to save yourself from being punished. Situational...but a handy mindgame.

Though again, I'm not sure it can be done. If it could, it would be worth knowing.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Powershield => Grab kills any hope of that

Powershielding gives you a few invincibility frames that are enough to quickly grab out of it and punish.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Even Moreso, we don't have any proof of it's existance OR know how to do it or how it works.

tpyo

Smash Cadet
Ok, I haven't had a chance to get on my wii lately and I don't know what my wii code is, but I will definitely pm hurricane so I can send the replay when I get a chance..

Also, to clarify a few things, firstly, no, toon link had not directly attacked me as I did the d-smashes (at least as far as I can remember, I'm pretty sure my memory is good enough, but I could have just been getting too excited after seeing the two down-smashes :p), although he had thrown a bomb which I'm pretty sure wouldn't have had any effect on me from the distance (although I can't be sure about this)
He was at very low % (probably 3-10% at most) and did not shield either d-smash, the first one connected and before he was knocked back out of range, the second one connected (almost 0 delay, as I said) so it may have more use than people shielding/dodging, although I'm not sure to what % both d-smashes could connect to.
Tommorow I will send my wii code and the replay to hurricane, and hopefully this isn't something completely dependant on toon link's bomb or some other riddiculously uncommon factor.

(edited because I called "wii code" "friend code" and that might have been misleading on what I meant or something) :p

tpyo

Smash Cadet
Yuuup, I watched the replay a 3rd time today and it turns out it was toon link's bomb canceling the delay, as falco's % went up 1 as it happened..
I really thought the bomb was too far! >_>
Anyways, sorry for wasting everyone's time

Top Bottom