• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dope 7 -The Midwest West HYPE! Circuit FIRST EVENT-

Teh Future

Smash Master
Welcome to the first event of The Midwest HYPE! Circuit. For more circuit information, click on the following link:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=332584

Venue:

7895 Watson Rd St Louis, MO 63119

This tournament will take place at Danno's American Pub. While Danno's is a bar, players under 18 will be allowed to enter. Danno's offers a wonderful drink selection and some food items.

Fees:

$5 Venue Fee*
$3 Circuit Fee**
$9 Brawl Singles Entry
$8 Brawl Doubles Entry Per Player
$5 Project: M Singles

* A one time fee required to enter any events.

* Venue fee is FREE if you bring a full set-up for BRAWL. A full set-up includes a TV with component cable connections, a working Wii console, and a copy of Brawl with everything unlocked.

** A one time fee required to enter Brawl singles or doubles.

** Circuit fee is FREE if you bring a working Wii console and a copy of Brawl with everything unlocked. This does not apply if you bring a full set-up.

Prizes (for all events):

1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Percentages are taken from the total amount collected from entrance fees.

Tentative Schedule:

12:00PM Venue Opens/Set-Up/Free Play
12:45PM Brawl Singles Registration Ends*
1:00PM Brawl Singles Pools
2:00PM Brawl Doubles Registration Ends
2:00PM Project M Registration Ends
3:00PM Project M Singles Bracket
3:00PM Brawl Doubles Bracket
5:00PM Brawl Singles Bracket

*If you are planning on entering Brawl Singles and are not going to be at the venue by this time, please notify the tournament organizer via this phone number (text preferred):

(636) 345-1669

= = Brawl Rule-set = =

* Bring your own controller.

* Because of time restrictions, players must report for matches when called immediately. Any player that has not reported for their match by 10 minutes will forfeit the entire set. If a player is leaving the venue, they should notify the tournament organizer or they risk disqualification!

* G&W Judgement is used in certain player disputes (see controller ports and stage striking below). To preform G&W Judgement, each player or team will pick Mr. Game and Watch, begin a 1 stock match, and preform G&W over B or sideways special move. The player who gets a higher number above their character wins and chooses who strikes stages or picks controller ports first.

* Round Robin Pools: Brawl Singles will be preceded by Round Robin pools. Each player will play a best-of-3 set with each opposing player in the same pool. Seeds are determined by overall set wins, not individual matches. Any ties will be determined by a continuation best-of-5 set with the player you are tied with.

* The top 32 seeded players in Brawl Singles Pools will proceed to the double elimination bracket. Players below this mark are ELIMINATED.

* Brawl Doubles will be double elimination bracket only. Seeding will be determined by the tournament organizer.

* Bracket Sets are best-of-3 except Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals which are best-of-5.

* 3 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items are set to "OFF" and "NONE"
* Pause is set to "OFF"
* See Stage Striking for more information on how stages are selected and banned.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
* In teams matches, ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; In the event of a dispute, whoever wins G&W Judgement will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the G&W Judgement winner will get the last port. If there is a conflict in singles, G&W Judgment will determine who chooses port/stage striking first.
* Stalling is banned. Stalling is defined as the act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while endlessly grabbing the ledge or flying underneath the stage is. Any infinite chain grabs must end immediately after 200% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. Only if stalling is confirmed by the tournament organizer, then the offending player will forfeit the match.
* In the event of a Bowser/Ganon/Dedede/Kirbycide, the end result is whatever the game determines.
* If a sudden death is initiated by both players dying at the exact same time or a tie in both stock count and percentage, players will have a 1 stock, 3:00 minute game to determine the winner.
*Any additional disputes will be up to determination by the tournament organizer.

Stages:

Starter

Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 1
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island

Counter

Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Jungle Japes
Halberd
Pictochat

Stage Striking:

Player A strikes 1 Starter stage
Player B strikes 2 Starter stages
Player A strikes 1 Starter stage

-In the event of a dispute, G&W Judgement will be used to determine who strikes first.

After each match:
1. Winner announces 2 stage ban
2. Loser chooses counter-pick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Doubles-Specific Rules:
* Life stealing is allowed
* Team Attack is turned ON

= = Project M Ruleset = =

*Project M with be double elimination bracket only. Seeding will be determined by the tournament organizer.

* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF and set to NONE
* Buffer OFF
* If a match ends with both players dying at the same time resulting in Sudden Death, a 1-stock rematch will be played out on the same stage.
* All Semi-finals and Finals matches will be Best of 5 format.
* If each player has one stock remaining and the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.
* Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Dave's Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.

Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in "122112" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes the next two stages.
4. Second player strikes one stage.

Stages

Starters
Battlefield
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks
Dracula's Castle
Green Hill Zone
Metal Cavern
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rumble Falls
Wario Ware
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

After each match:
1. Winner announces TWO(2) stage bans.
2. Loser chooses a Counterpick stage.
3. Winner chooses their character.
4. Loser chooses their character.
5. Winner chooses their controller port (optional).
6. Loser chooses their controller port (optional).

Teh Future

Smash Master
First of all that is not correct. Secondly I did not post it because the venue has yet to be determined. More edits and info coming soon, I just wanted to get the thread up and the date set.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Just to be clear, there is no LGL?

Just want to make sure the date is set in stone before I request off work.
I don't mind rules either way since it'll be fun seeing ICs get bodied by falco for a change

If it's the 16th for sure, it's drastically increases my chances of going since I only have to ask off from one job instead of two. I heard something about the 23rd which would make me have to ask off of 2 jobs which won't happen lololol

Cook

Smash Master
Instead of Dave's Stupid Rule we should use Cook's Less Stupid Rule!

As posted on the KMYM thread:
Cook's Less Stupid Rule: in best of 3 sets, players CAN counterpick to a stage they have already won on. This is because the stage they won on earlier is a neutral that they went to after stage-striking, so the opponent already had the opportunity to strike nearly half of the neutrals so I don't see how it would be unfair to play on that neutral again. You ARE limited in best of 5 matches, though. You can't go back to a COUNTERPICK (meaning a stage that was not the neutral you started on) stage that YOU chose and WON on. Ok, say me and Fino are in Loser's Finals (lol). If the neutral we go to is Battlefield, then I can use that as my first cp, even if I won on it as the starter. However, if I DO cp it and I win, I can't use it as my second cp. BUT, if I use it as my first cp and FINO wins, then I can use it as my second cp.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Hype

Fees are going to be

$9 singles
16 per team
$3 circuit fee
$??? Venue Fee

Glad to see pictochat is legal.

Future you should probably add that this is the first leg of the circuit in the title IMHO

Teh Future

Smash Master
Just to be clear, there is no LGL?

Just want to make sure the date is set in stone before I request off work.
The date will not be changing.

There is no ledge grab limit under the current rules. However, stalling in any form is banned. I will flesh out the rules a little more clearly in this regard. Also if more people ask for a ledge grab limit, I am not necessarily against implementing one. I just don't think it is necessary.

EDIT: Here are the updated rules:

* Stalling is banned. Stalling is defined as the act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while endlessly grabbing the ledge or flying underneath the stage is. Any infinite chain grabs must end immediately after 200% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. If stalling is confirmed by the tournament organizer, the offending player will forfeit the match.
*Any additional disputes will be up to determination by the tournament organizer.

Instead of Dave's Stupid Rule we should use Cook's Less Stupid Rule!
If you win on a certain stage you are required to counter pick to a different stage. I don't think that should change because it allows for a greater diversity of situations for each player to overcome. If both players agree to use any certain stage for a tournament match, it will be allowed.

Future you should probably add that this is the first leg of the circuit in the title IMHO
OK.

Is this Brawl only or are Melee and P:M in the mix?
We will be having a Project: Melee tournament as well as Brawl. I was not aware of the fact when I first made the thread. I will update the title with the proper heading.

If I do come should I bring a Wii (And my P:M SD card if necessary) or is there not an overabundance of televisions?
Yes! The best case scenario is that we will offer a discount for providing us with a TV or Wii. The worst case scenario is that it will not be used. In that case, I would recommend leaving it inside of a car trunk if its available to avoid theft even though that has never been a problem in St. Louis tournaments in the past.

Thanks for keeping the thread active and providing interest!

DeLux

well I got work off so I'll be omw closer to the start of the tournament :p

Cook

Smash Master
^That is a very good question. Since Hylian will be gone I think I will be running P:M, but I am not sure if people wanna do $10, $5, $3, $1 or what. What does everyone think?

Cook

Smash Master
Wasn't too sure about P:M ruleset, so I just stole the rules for the big Chicago P:M tournament happening the same weekend. David, add this the OP, please. Also, you should ad the Brawl entry fees. I will have to get back to you about P:M entry fee. I am leaning toward $1 or $3, but I am trying to collect data first.

= = Project M Ruleset = =

* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF and set to NONE
* Buffer OFF
* If a match ends with both players dying at the same time resulting in Sudden Death, a 1-stock rematch will be played out on the same stage.
* All Semi-finals and Finals matches will be Best of 5 format.
* If each player has one stock remaining and the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.
* Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Dave's Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.

Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in "122112" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes the next two stages.
4. Second player strikes one stage.

Stages

Starters
Battlefield
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks
Dracula's Castle
Green Hill Zone
Metal Cavern
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rumble Falls
Wario Ware
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

After each match:
1. Winner announces TWO(2) stage bans.
2. Loser chooses a Counterpick stage.
3. Winner chooses their character.
4. Loser chooses their character.
5. Winner chooses their controller port (optional).
6. Loser chooses their controller port (optional).

DeLux

We have a pub as a venue? does this mean what I think it means?

Cook

Smash Master
Hm, never thought of that. You MIGHT have to be 18, but I don't believe so. I'll get back to you.

Tony22

Smash Cadet
If they sell food, I'm pretty sure it would be okay.

However, if they only serve alcohol, that could be problematic.

DeLux

I know of plenty establishments that serve food and alcohol that you need to be ID'd to get in

don't make generalizations that might mislead people and wait for direct TO confirmation

DeLux

Is there a venue fee (not including the circuit cut) that isn't singles/doubles entry? Trying to give estimates to my carpool

DeLux

Averil, money match for he gets to DD on the way home :p

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I don't see anything on double MK or regular MK, unless my eyesight is failing me. What's your stand on MK/double MK?

Top Bottom