• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't you hate when people mock you in 1-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
The other day I was in a smash bros matchmaking service, and they told me I wasn't good enough to play with them, that I should go play for glory for a while. It made me really upset, so I know where you're coming from. I think people who are beating others in smash should just keep beating them, but be friendly about it. You're never going to be able to improve without playing people who beat you, but it ruins the game when people are jerks.

_gold_

Smash Master
There's a time and a place for everything, but not in 1v1 glory.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
The other day I was in a smash bros matchmaking service, and they told me I wasn't good enough to play with them, that I should go play for glory for a while. It made me really upset, so I know where you're coming from. I think people who are beating others in smash should just keep beating them, but be friendly about it. You're never going to be able to improve without playing people who beat you, but it ruins the game when people are jerks.
There's a point where you're being beaten so bad that you won't learn anything from it and you'll just get upset.

Don't take everything at face value. Heed what they say and practice in FG.

Last edited:

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
I don't really think I'm in any position to judge, considering how disrespectful I am. I taunt whenever I can. Even when my opponent SDs.

I'm terrible, I know.

Last edited:

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
If you are losing to someone that switches to your main, like several people have said, take advantage of this moment. This person has shown they are a better player than you, see what they are doing that makes them better. Every battle where you lose or make a mistake is a learning experience. If someone is beating your buns, let them biscuits cook, and pickup their recipe.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
@ Rajikaru Rajikaru , yeah, I did go practice in for glory after that, but there's people on there that I can beat handedly over and over, so it's not like as bad as they make it sound. Also, I think you'll pretty much alwasy learn by loosing, you just need to keep loosing. There's 2 different types of loosing: Loosing because you're not playing your best, and loosing because the person is just way better than you. The first kind of loosing, just making a bunch of dumb mistakes you wouldn't normally make, yeah, that's not very productive, but If you're playing your absolute best, most of the time (but you're right, not ALL of the time) you're going to walk away with some new knowledge of the game.

Last edited:

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
These things are going to happen, just be sure not to fall to their level. Remember to have respect for your losses as you can learn something new from every game you play. Some losses may be more bitter than others and that's okay. Don't let someone else drive you, and keep in mind your self-respect as a player. Not everyone knows what being a good sport means, that's the big difference between a Pro and a Professional.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
stop being salty and take the opportunity to LEARN. maybe they were trying to show you how stuff is done

regardless, evne if they were mean spirited, you are only gaining from the match: you can see stuff that works better than what you are currently doing.

next time, don' quit, STAY. eventually you will win: that's a signal you are now doing something right.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
Just find some players to play with that are friendly and cool if FG is making you feel some type of way. I do get annoyed with the rolling and projectile spam but it will help me to learn to deal with it in the long run.

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
That is something that is a very annoying problem with the players of Smash... :/ Taunting I can live with, but playing your main and leaving is very frustrating. It really gives you a sense that they think they're so much better than you that they can get away with upsetting people.

It's at this point I always strive to be better than these people, so I can defeat them in a sporting fashion and showing them I won't stoop to their level.

Take comfort in the fact that it happens to us all, and in the end, who's REALLY the better player? The one who fights fairly and does his best, even in defeat? Or the disrespectful punk that loves causing annoyance where they go?

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
I realize that this topic has been wrapped up already, but I'd like to add my two cents in.

When it comes to any game with some competitive edge, people will want to be the better player, no matter what. This leads to moments where a player's pride in their skill level gets in the way of them having fun with the game. That's how I feel about it, anyway. You just have to tell yourself that "it's just a game" and "there's nothing on the line".

On the topic at hand, mirror matches are not always meant to mock someone. If someone is better at your main than you are, think of it as a learning experience. There WILL be better players than you out there, and you shouldn't delude yourself into thinking otherwise.

I'm probably one of the worst players on this board, but that doesn't stop me from giving my best effort and having fun the whole time. To anyone that read this post, I apologize for my rambling. This was something I had to get off my chest, and I feel more people should share this mindset.

On_Gamepad

Smash Rookie
I main Sonic. Some people probably hate me already.

There's a moment that I change up my tactics completely. It's not just one or two hits. It's damage, just building up. I'm going stop rolling to the side. I'm going to charge up my smash attack. And you're gonna run right into it, hoping to land a dash attack.

I READ YOUR GAME! POW!!

Nice try, mofo. Rematch? :)

I've lost a lot of matches too, but hey. Part of the game.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Sometimes if I fight someone who happens to play with one of the characters I like playing with, then the next battle I choose that character, just to show them that I like playing with said character as well. Gee, I hope they didn't think I was mocking them...

Tyketto

Smash Cadet
I usually taunt after I die to a stylish KO to show respect. I'd rather do that than get salty about it.
I do this as well. If my opponent got a nice KO, I'll throw out a taunt when I respawn. It's my way of saying "Well played, good sir/madam!"

Back on topic, I can understand the frustration of getting whooped by a person who switches to your main. It can come off as cocky/arrogant of the person doing it. Congrats - you're better at this game or this character than me. No need to be an a****** about it.

But I do agree with what others are saying - you can't let it get to you. At best, you leave the match and find a new opponent and move on. Like it or not, there will be people who do this sorts of stuff and you're probably not going to change their behavior. Just keep playing and have fun. Or take a break if you're frustrated.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'll taunt after 99% of my KOs, but only to hear Pit's voice. And I'll string a few together if I have the time, heh.

Since I usually counterpick characters like Ike or Mac with Dark Pit, I'll usually bust out a sarcastic "Watch out!" when they inevitably SD, or a "Who wants some?" when the opponent is trying to camp as somebody lacking a (good) projectile.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I played a game today , me and the same guy played about 12 rounds in For Glory, sometime during the last few matches he changed his screen name to "u r bs"
I guess he got mad since I was winning most of the time.

On_Gamepad

Smash Rookie
I played a game today , me and the same guy played about 12 rounds in For Glory, sometime during the last few matches he changed his screen name to "u r bs"
I guess he got mad since I was winning most of the time.
I should start doing that to communicate to people... The problem is I have to change my controller settings to gamepad because they switched up the L and ZL placement for whatever reason.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Instead of complaining about him switching to your main and kicking your ass, you should have saved a replay and look for why he beat you. Maybe he picked Villager because he was feeling like it (happens to me, I see someone playing a character and they make me want to play that charracter), or maybe because he wanted to show off. Nothing wrong here. Or maybe he even wanted to see if you could catch up to some of the stuff he was doing with Villager. I do that all the time with Shulk. If I am switching up characters and I keep beating a Shulk main, I'll switch over for some mirror matches. Sometimes they quit. Sometimes they continue getting beaten up without improving. Sometimes I see them start doing things like short-hopped, fast falled nair which they weren't doing before. You shouldn't be angry about somebody showing off they are better than you. Especially in the internet. You should try to find out how he was better than you.

TheGingerRussian

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGingerRussian
3DS FC
1504-5955-1641
It doesn't really frustrate me most the time, just confuses me.

Last night I was playing a few games. My opponent chose Little Mac, (Lasted 44 seconds) switched to Mario, (same skin and taunted when he got a KO, but I won) then I figured I'd practice a bit with Ness and Doc, he chose Villager (and he was a very annoying Villager) and destroyed me.

When I saw that he was clearly an awful sport (taunting twice after his first kill and crouching rapidly whenever I was knocked off-stage) I just left.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to de-stressify after what happened...

So some jerk used Dark Pit. Ok fine. He beat me, but I was fine with that. Next battle he used Shulk. I came close, but he'd beaten me again, and I was fine with that. Then the jerk started to use villager, which was the character I was using during this and the other battles. Did I feel insulted? Yes. Was he better than me? Yes. Did I get really angry after he won? Of course!

I left a comment in one of his miiverse post saying: "I get that you're better than me, but you don't have to be a jerk and mock me."

Gosh I hope no Smash experts are like this...

EDIT: I made this post after this event happened.

And I immediately got over it...
Has smash boards just become a place for people to get a pat on the back when they lose a game of smash? I've seen so many of these posts about how much it sucks to lose. Maybe try playing for fun instead of for glory?

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
You people are ASSUMING hostility at every turn, aren't you? Has it never come to mind that people may enjoy ditto matches, or actually enjoy being your character? Has it never come to mind that a taunt is the only way to communicate and is hardly ever actually used to mock someone? I see people doing it as greetings, for example. And I sometimes taunt when someone gets an impressive kill on me as a way of acknowledging their skill.

It's all in your head....

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
You people are ASSUMING hostility at every turn, aren't you? Has it never come to mind that people may enjoy ditto matches, or actually enjoy being your character? Has it never come to mind that a taunt is the only way to communicate and is hardly ever actually used to mock someone? I see people doing it as greetings, for example. And I sometimes taunt when someone gets an impressive kill on me as a way of acknowledging their skill.

It's all in your head....
oh please., oops nevermind delete this, i forgot that on smashboards we aren't allowed to disagree out loud.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm trying to de-stressify after what happened...

So some jerk used Dark Pit. Ok fine. He beat me, but I was fine with that. Next battle he used Shulk. I came close, but he'd beaten me again, and I was fine with that. Then the jerk started to use villager, which was the character I was using during this and the other battles. Did I feel insulted? Yes. Was he better than me? Yes. Did I get really angry after he won? Of course!

I left a comment in one of his miiverse post saying: "I get that you're better than me, but you don't have to be a jerk and mock me."

Gosh I hope no Smash experts are like this...

EDIT: I made this post after this event happened.

And I immediately got over it...
I admit. I'm kind of guilty of this. If someone is really bad with a character but keeps on insisting on fighting me, I will eventually play against them as their character, even if I'm bad with them. I also do this because I hope to teach them some things in the process because, all around, I'm decent with most of the cast.

Pawelot

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pawelot
I've only had once that someone took my main (Peach) and beat me. And this was because I was having a bad day. All other times someone pulled this I beat them. And a few times, I beat the living **** out of them. Which felt awesome.

Last edited:

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Mkay, I will say that I do get a little heated when this happens. But it's part of the game.

The only reason I say this is cause. I kind of did this earlier but not as bad.

I got in a match with some kid. I had picked Bowser Jr. (My main) and he had picked Lucina.

I lost this match due to a stupid mistake, so naturally I picked B Jr. again to prove myself better, and I won. 2 stocked him.

So now I'm all like "Okay yay!! I can use other characters" because I never stick to one character when I play smash.

So I pick Fox, beat him. I pick Ness, beat him. I pick Duck Hunt, beat him. I pick Greninja, beat him.

Now keep in mind. This guy had picked Lucina for EVERY ROUND. And after my 5 or 6 matches straight of beating him I'm like "Man this guy won't give up... I have an idea."

So I picked Lucina. And I destroyed him. And then bam!! He quit immediately.

Long story short (too late) I feel like it's okay to pick different characters and then pick the same character that your competitor has been using the whole time. But not to the point of mocking. Just friendly competition.
Think about it from his perspective. Though you may not do this with the intent to "mock" - your opponent may nevertheless end up frustrated and demoralized. Why take the chance? If you want the matches to end, just leave!

_A1

Smash Apprentice
They just want to feel better about themselves and their skill. Don't take it as a shot to you as a person.

D

Deleted member

Different story: I was playing against someone online and they kept beating me as Link, while I was using different characters to no avail. Finally I switched to Link and was able to beat him in a mirror match. It felt so good. After that he switched characters.

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
I've recently started to stop taunting after I get KOs on For Glory now. Especially if I'm constantly beating them. I only taunt when they taunt; it only seems a little more fair that way. Otherwise, I just stand there and reposition myself onto the neutral for the next stock.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I dislike sore winners and the people that think being rude is ok "just because it's a game."

They rarely bother me tho. I usually just whip out my main lady Zeldoo and remind them that being a rotten winner is not cool. And instead, they should be graceful winners... Like Zelda. Except nobody can be as graceful or sparkly like her.

As for taunting it's ok as long as the person was the obvious cause of my demise.

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
I read the OP and the first ~20 posts or so and am shocked that not only somebody has this opinion but that others agree with it. This is purely weak and so non competitive that you have absolutely no business going into a 1v1 environment. Your opponent wanted an equal playing field to prove to themselves that they were superior to you, not that they were selecting better matchups. Your response to this is truly disgraceful and makes you a horrible loser. Your opponent did nothing wrong, your reaction was very wrong.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I read the OP and the first ~20 posts or so and am shocked that not only somebody has this opinion but that others agree with it. This is purely weak and so non competitive that you have absolutely no business going into a 1v1 environment. Your opponent wanted an equal playing field to prove to themselves that they were superior to you, not that they were selecting better matchups. Your response to this is truly disgraceful and makes you a horrible loser. Your opponent did nothing wrong, your reaction was very wrong.
Wow do you have to be THAT rude? You do realize i'm trying to be in the competitive scene right? And someone acting like the opponent certainly deosn't help. Sure losing can make you better, but getting mocked at certainly deosn't help, and it honestly kinda forces me to quit competitive Smash, but I won't!

And if you're really a competitive player, then you should ATLEAST say that you should've learned from him, and be a nice guy, but you aren't nice, you're extremely rude. Even ZeRo himself stated that newbies deserve help. He's a nice guy!

This is Smashboards, not some place where to get random people worked up. Either you're a troll or an extremely disgraceful person.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I agree that disrespectful/rude opponents (the ones who actually do mean it) aren't great. It shouldn't be a topic of "you're weak" because not everyone has skin made of metal. Respect that.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
My past competitive self would've said something similar. Thankfully I am more understanding now thanks to Brawl killing full on serious competing for me. Now I'm just a sugary-adorable-nice dessert that is also a good fighter. Instead jiggly-rude-disaster of a dessert that somehow participates in brutal melees.

It can really go both ways, but a majority of FG players are in it to win it. So expect it to be as bad as CoD in terms of what their actions mean... There's even teabagging in FG! So we CoD now, Sakarai help pls.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Truth be told, people who care about this are full self-ego filled. Maybe your opponent just like "your" main (it's not yours, it's in the game, another person WILL play with it, and most likely they WILL be better than you), or are trying to show you some moves :4falcon: . If you are crying in the forums about it, you are probably not worth to be included in the competitive scene, as you need to be at least grown up enough to respect others and learn a thing or two from those beatings, not crying over strategies or pick-ups. And please, if you are 15 YO, don't scold me, as you are probably ignorant about your own words. Peace.

BTW, I wonder why almost everyone are so interested in competitive scene, do people really think they will win their lives with this? People, remember, this is just a game, no one never achieved anything by dedicating their lives to a video-game.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
BTW, I wonder why almost everyone are so interested in competitive scene, do people really think they will win their lives with this? People, remember, this is just a game, no one never achieved anything by dedicating their lives to a video-game.
It's called enjoying the competitive scene, and/or having fun.
Also, a lot of people make a living on gaming. 2/10 troll try again m8.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
It's called e-sports in general. Also, streamers/youtubers count too.
Oh man, here we go. I'm talking about people who does not live with their parents bro. Yes, we have some rare cases of people who are actually famous in the business, like Daigo Umehara, a SF pro-player. The case is, we have 1 in a million.

BTW, no, streamers and youtubers does not count, as probably just ******* or no-life dudes watch and spend their parents money with them. Get real son, or do you think you are a super hero too?

Edit: And, yep, you couldn't name a single one. Just like imagined.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom