• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't Hurt My Baby! (feat. B-team crew battle between Tucson & Phoenix!)

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
unfortunately thats part of the contract you sign when you decide to play this game. "i agree to be gayed by metaknight at any time, by any player, in any given game." section 4 clause 13
I don't think anyone can even comprehend how much this statement made me laugh...and how true it is...and how much I hate MK.

@jane i didnt want kurtis on there i thought he was too high to be placed for the 5v5
But I use yoshi, who is a bad character that can't jump out of shield.

k9.

Smash Ace
Kurtis you need to be more open to the roster of characters.

Give me one good reason why not playing Metaknight is ok, or hating Metaknight is ok.

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
haha kurtis but you made it on the PR with yoshi so it shows how good you are with it.

@k9 you even said you didnt want him banned just so you can get the chance to beat chris hahaha. that was your only reason. you even thought he was gay until you started to use him more

k9.

Smash Ace
Yes true but i am more open to the character roster now.

AND if you watched WHOBO you would see why mk being legal is VERY legit.

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
Kurtis you need to be more open to the roster of characters.

Give me one good reason why not playing Metaknight is ok, or hating Metaknight is ok.
I can give a few, actually.

Alright, first off, you can play MK all you want, and its fine. Some people truly have fun with Metaknight, and I don't find anything wrong with that. However, that doesn't mean that the character itself isn't breaking and overcentralizing the game, because he is. Now, I am not saying that we should ban Metaknight. I would like to, but it is far too late to do that, because too many people have spent far too much time using him and training with him, and it would be unfair to them. We should have banned him when the game first came out, and then everything would be fine, but we lost that chance now.

I still support a ruleset with specific rules limiting Metaknights potential. What those rules would be though, I have no idea, and I don't really care to think about it since nothing is probably going to be done.

Now onto the second part you mentioned. Of course it is okay to hate on Metaknight. It is more than okay, haha. He is a completely broken character. Sure, he isn't invincible, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't break the game. It takes a much higher skill level from the opposing player to be able to pull out a win. This causes everyone and their grandmas to pick up "pocket Metaknights" just to have an even matchup. Eventually they just decide to main Metaknight and drop their old character, or just quit, thus bringing back my point of overcentralizing the game. I have seen it happen too many times. some people will disagree now, but when the matches go down, and those same people lose to a Metaknight, their level of salt will declare the truth they have been trying to hide: "Metaknight is so ?#$$!# gay and broken! %?#$$ ban him!"

k9.

Smash Ace
So what about ice climbers who is one of the best characters in the game, 9b took first in japan beating vinnie the other ice climbers from the east coast in GF, M2K takes 4th or 5th. Your going to tell me that MK is the only broken character?

Also M2K lost to earth TWICE, earth plays PIT.

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
So what about ice climbers who is one of the best characters in the game, 9b took first in japan beating vinnie the other ice climbers from the east coast in GF, M2K takes 4th or 5th. Your going to tell me that MK is the only broken character?

I don't think he's implying that any character that can place over MKs in a major tournament is auto-qualified for broken tier. Even if someone like ESAM placed 1st at the biggest tournament of all time, this wouldn't mean that Pikachu is broken. What he's trying to say is Brawl is centralized around MK. MK takes majority of placings at tournaments and his capabilities in this game surpass those of the entire roster. No character will ever be better than MK. period.

Though MK isn't impossible to beat, of course. We've all seen many good MKs fall to the hands of other high tiers. But the fact that Brawl itself is centralized around MK, his priority, tournament placings, and non-existent bad MUs make the game unenjoyable and unplayable for many. The reason why ICs aren't banned is because ICs don't have 0 bad MUs and haven't been winning more tourneys than MKs for the past 4 years or so. Now, I'm not saying MK should be banned; personally I like the MU and I think MK helped evolved the metagame as a whole more so than any other character. I'm not taking sides, I'm just clarifying.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~

I think he meant moreso that there multiple characters that can be considered "broken" but Metaknight can be considered by far the "cheapest" of those characters due to the fact that he has a much more efficient and nearly unpunishable moveset, his MU spread is amazing and his learning curve is a lot lower in comparison to others.

Are other characters such as Ice Climbers or Olimar potentially equal if not more capable characters? It's possible, but it's a fact that they are a lot more difficult characters to master in their own right and require a much higher amount of skill to use.

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman

That just means that Earth, as well as those other Japanese players, are on a much higher skill level than M2K and the rest of the U.S. We had already decided a while ago that Japan is on a whole 'nother skill level.

Yes, I am going to say that MK is the only broken character. There are definitely other characters with a broken move or two such as the IC's chain grab or Diddy Kong's bananas, but they each have their individual weaknesses and counter's as well that leave the characters still viable. MK has no real counter, and no real weaknesses. He has great range, amazing speed, little to no lag, four recovery options, flight, high killing potential, great air and ground game, etc.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
For the crew battle we are going to have each person write down what character they are going to use on paper before so there can be at more strategy to it.

:phone:

Saffy

Smash Ace
If anything ban ice climbers. Metaknight is nothing compared to a good ice climbers.

If you ban Metaknight, then Ice Climbers are by far top tier. What counters them then? All I can think of is Peach honestly and the match up isn't that good for her either. Rob is also a contender along with Snake.

Smiley has a pretty good metaknight though, I played it on wifi for one match vs my snake. Went to last stock.

k9.

Smash Ace
I like to hear everyone's input, but i talked to all the top players when i go out of state, they think that MK, Oli, and Ice climbers are on the same level. All that i am saying is that you call MK broken but if the top players are saying that is the metagame right now, that is the metagame.

When tyrant was at my house after sktar, he showed me some really cool techniques and mindsets to have while playing.

Thank you Saffy.

Also if takes 2nd vinnie and m2k take 5th at a japan tourney japan is not on another tier.

In all im just trying to say this, that MK isn't sitting at the top by himself now, he has IC, and Oli now, and results are showing that hardcore.

I am not talking about anything else but how good the character can be. So hating on MK is stupid. If you play MK you will understand stuff like frame traps. You might know about it now, but if you played MK you can really get the true understanding of it, that is just one thing out of million things that you learn by playing MK.

This is what MK says to the haters: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xshml9_rick-ross-hold-me-back-explicit_music?search_algo=1

BE MORE OPEN KURTIS, ITS JUST A VIDEO GAME YOU DON'T HAVE TO HATE CHARACTER. haha im done see you guys at the tourney.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so even if the game isn't fully-centralized on MK, this does not nullify the fact that he (along with two other characters) has an extreme advantage over almost every other character in the game. The hate is very justifiable for those who refuse to use characters who allow a much easier win.

Also, I'm positive that if everyone in the scene used OP characters, I'm sure our Power Rankings would be a lot different...

k9.

Smash Ace
@Rave Char choice doesn't change player skill, so the PR wouldn't look different. Also about MK your missing the overall point, lol.

You guys will realize with time.

Saffy

Smash Ace
It's not metaknight that makes a player good. I really hope people don't think that.... A win is a win really, regardless of character. It's not easier to win with metaknight against top level players, you have to be a smart and good player in order to win with ANY character.
I'm honestly surprised that our scene does not have many top tier characters.. besides a few. I'm kind of glad there isn't though because I love the variety! I don't think the PR would change though if more top tiers were present. The top 3 for sure would stay the same. Kyle, K9 and Kira (KKK WAT?) play on a different level than everyone else in the state. I think this mainly because of their experience with OOS tournaments and top players. They also seem to have more dedication on improving than most people.

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
hahaha shawn i seriously want you to be in top 5 on the PR with your Link hahahahaha i would really love to see that since now you have this "high skill" ill give you $30 if you can make top 5 on the PR with just link

you say there are top players that will agree with you but we also have top players that will agree with us.

@saffy why is it that most of the brawl community play as mk?!?!?! why dont you ever see it so diverse in big tournaments? its mostly top tiers and mk tier. a character can help a lot when it comes to winning. you also gave 3 bad MUs for ICs but how many does mk have? 0

more options with a character to me makes it easier for a win than less option with a character.

mekos i find 1 of the best players in brawl <3 placing well with just a lucas (less options)!!!! not having to pocket a mk!

k9.

Smash Ace
Its not about agreeing, its about knowing. Saffy understands. I am sure Kyle would understand he even plays MK believe or not.

Its all about studying the game, i only used ddd for a week now, and i beat Kira with DDD everyday all day (THAT **** IS FUN) and i beat you and rave in a mm, and i beat Yummy in a $5 mm against his MK.

Is it because he is a high tier character? NO. My understanding of the game is getting better, because i don't let those childish mindsets hold me back from becoming number one in this state.

Everyone starts to learn sooner or later. I am sure people like yoshiken, GV7 and Stevo. Will learn with time.

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
dude did you read my post? $30 if you can pr with just link. **** ill go $50 hahahahahahahaha

rob v ddd is a +2 for ddd that **** is hard. i would rather play with gnw on that. but i need more practice with ddd since you can play rob (kiras) i dont have any exp on ddd since no one plays him here.

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
top 5 i said since thats where you are now. since you have this high skill level just as a player. character not meaning a thing. JUST LINK!!!!!!! ill be watching that **** too

k9.

Smash Ace
Link is the 2nd to worst character though, there is a limit *****, i would say that if you let me go a mid tier i would do it.

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
"i don't let those childish mindsets hold me back from becoming number one in this state."

"@Rave Char choice doesn't change player skill, so the PR wouldn't look different."

your words...

wheres this skill you have? stevo did it with mario im sure you can do it! :D

k9.

Smash Ace
I am talking about valuable characters man don't be dumb, mid-tier and up.

When i said childish mindsets i am talking about not playing MK, which equals not learning.

Mario is very underrated/under used.

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
mekos showed lucas is valuable hahaha

stevo shows mario is valuable even his jiggs when hes not going against a mk

so what mid character are you thinking of?

please dont say ness yours is booty

k9.

Smash Ace
boderline is midtier. That is why they were used in the recent whobo mid tier doubles tourney.

k9.

Smash Ace
I would go ROB, so lets host a smashfest/pre tourney on friday and do it then.

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
do what? this season you have to go only ROB and make it top 5 PR. smashfests i dont care for since there are not many people that go

so its all rob this season?

k9.

Smash Ace
Not all season i will do it for a tourney. I have set my goals for this season, lets just do it next season then.

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
damn thats too long fine then. i know kyle wants to keep his throne as queen of az haha which i actually dont want

love you still kyle

Jane

Smash Hero
in every fighting game theres broken *** characters that are still allowed in tourneys. its a decision that is made by every fighting game competitor -- "do i use my favorite character who sucks and have fun with an extra challenge? or do i use a good character and focus strictly on being good with no handicaps?"

its like deciding between a cool gas guzzler car or a car that is economic and inexpensive. all the mk mains are chugging along, not paying much to get from A to B, while the ones with the muscle cars/boss SUVs/performance cars get from A to B in style but pay for it at the gas pump.

i dont remember where i was going with this.

k9.

Smash Ace
^That is just the way you see it, and that is what makes us all different as players. Our view on the game, we have a past and have had exp. with the game that have made us players we are today.

My truth or view of the game is going to be different from yours, i guess that is just how it is my friends.

Top Bottom