• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't get grabbed -.-

WIGI

Smash Champion
hi. i need alot of advice on how to play against ice climbers as luigi, otehr than "don't get grabbed"

what moves seperate ice climbers the best?

what moves annoy you guys?

what are my best aproach options?

how should i go abotu avoided gettign grabbed?

what do i do once i am grabbed?

edge gaurding/gimping ic?

single ic tactics

i just strait up get owned by ics. and really would liek the help, anything you got to say id love to hear, thanks =]

-WiGi

smaci92

Smash Lord
what moves seperate ice climbers the best?
I still have to test which moves, cause it helps us IC's to know that too. but a lot of character's dsmashes seperate the IC's...like pikachu's. but you're down b also seperates us...

what moves annoy you guys?
The moves that seperate us lulz such as your down b

what are my best aproach options?
urrhmmm...it's up to you. Try to predict what we're going to do, and find a move that will counter us.

how should i go abotu avoided gettign grabbed?
luigi has good aerials...use them. stay in the air more, use your projectile, and space well.

what do i do once i am grabbed?
nothing much you can do really...besides mash your buttons fast and move the control stick really fast to get out. but if you play a real good IC, you're gonna get 0 deathed and die...so "don't get grabbed" lulz; and I told you how to avoid getting grabbed in your previous question ;)

edge gaurding/gimping ic?
predict which recovery we are going to use...it's either belay or squall. If it's squall, charge a fsmash where you think we will land, and if it hits us, we get massive damage, and if it doesn't you should be far enough that you shouldn't get punished...another option is that you could just let us recover. If you predict that we are going to use belay: (this method has to be practically frame perfect). but popo doesn't have invicibility for a couple of frames, and when nana tethers to the edge, you can drop down and bair-stagespike popo, and then we're dead. It's not really hard to do once you get the timing right...

single ic tactics
you shouldn't have any problem against our single climber...We only have a few approach options with 1 IC. Blizzard, Sheild grab, aerials (with barely any range), and smashes. you have a huge advantage when it comes to playing 1 IC...so take advantage of every opportunity you seperate us...don't let us get synced again....

Hope I helped.. :bee:

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
really smaci? did you really just help someone with beating the ICs? you turn coat. >_>

but anyway, luigi's down b can separate if you hit at least half the way through, and side smash to kill.

other than that, me kill you long time.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is bound to get grabbed due to his lack of range.

I guess just keep the ICs separated, but besides that, use a counterpick?

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Make lots of use of platforms, they help, trust me :o

Hmm... I guess with Luigi, if you can manage to keep the fight in the air then you should do fine.

WIGI

Smash Champion
alright thanks guys, anybody want to play today?

and one mroe question, luigis game is based alot of of the dthrow, but its never a good idea to grab ice climbers correct?

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
luigis up-b should also work really well.. at least against nana cause she shields so late. IMO

smaci92

Smash Lord
alright thanks guys, anybody want to play today?

and one mroe question, luigis game is based alot of of the dthrow, but its never a good idea to grab ice climbers correct?
don't grab us unless we have only one IC...:)

really smaci? did you really just help someone with beating the ICs? you turn coat. >_>
lol dude, I like helping people beat IC's so that I have a challenge...;)

WIGI

Smash Champion
alright sweet, so now i need practise. and since stupid reasons would nto let me go to an 80+ person tounrye.. anyone want to play online?

WIGI

Smash Champion
kk il be there in a minute
just have to finish this match

edit:thx for the games =]

how shoudl i defend against that spinnign hamemr thing lol

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
how shoudl i defend against that spinnign hamemr thing lol
Escape/DI out of it or shield it, but Squall eats shields. :lick: Blizzard's the same thing... but I don't think you can DI out of Blizzard when you're frozen, because you ARE frozen, and you can't exactly move out of it.

WIGI

Smash Champion
luigi is floaty enough that bilzzard doens bug me

and alot of yoru kills were from ice gimps and teh lag made me down b again instead of up b. but i think im starting to get a handle on ics. thanks for all the help guys, id be willing to play later on =]

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
yeah, ggs. i would have been able to pressure you more/ not accidentally desync and die as much had the lag been better. you're pretty good, but ICs are just not a good matchup for luigi. (plus i don't cg, so you don't need to worry about that from me)

WIGI

Smash Champion
yeah i was wondering why i wasn;t geting cgb muc. i figure i was doing good at avoiding being grabbed. guess not.

il try to uplaod a couple of the matches for critique.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
yeah, not so much... but hey, you did fine regardless. i still don;t like online because it turns most of my tilts into smashes.....

WIGI

Smash Champion
i hate online cuz my recovery gets owned. i would made it back way more xD, instead of simply falling down b to my death.

after i clean my room im up for more matches with otehr ic players, need a good variety.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Uhm guys, why not take it to the visitor messages instead of posting? I think it's kind of unnecessary because the thread's turning to a chat and we're kind of getting offtopic since this is a topic where you give tips on beating the ICs with Luigi; sorry for the minimod also. :/

Eh, anyways, if my sister stops using the Wii I can probably play you.

WIGI

Smash Champion
lmao *as he askes for a match* =P

ok eyah we ahve been visitor mesagiung quite a bit.

im online for ANYONE who wants to play. chibi il add yoru fc. firts come frist served.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
don't grab us unless we have only one IC...:)

lol dude, I like helping people beat IC's so that I have a challenge...;)
I could use help vs IC as well. I main Yoshi. I learned the grab and egg lay = bad idea the hard way. xD.

Although, I once played a match.... funniest thing ever. I won even though I should have lost. I used the IC for the match, the opponent used Bowser. He KO'd the primary Ice Climber, then taunted. But as I was going through the air... right before I went into the "Star Finish" Bowser was KO'd by Nano, the 2nd Ice Climber, to give me the win.

I found it hilarious.

Samsquamptch

Smash Cadet
If you do grab an IC I would recommend a f-throw as it will often hit Nana knocking her away as well.

WIGI

Smash Champion
wow good games bomb, lol il ahve to uplaod them, they wer pretty evn id say, even with the chain grab infinate thing.

thanks for all the help and practise.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I was like "omg omg 0-death."
That was my 1st time 0-deathing online. :)
GGs, sick LUigi.

WIGI

Smash Champion
yeah i think i ahve that recorded. i have so much lol, whats confusing is i don't know witch vid is bomb, withc vids are chibi, and witch ones are frozen. you gusy all changed yoru colour like every match -.-

lol bomb, great games, how mnay times did i taunt spike you?

chibi great games, how many times did i taunt spike you =P

lol seriosly tho, i learned so much about ics, i must now go challenge kawaii. but maybey later xD. il post the vids as soon as i can, make a thread about it.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Nana's tether pulled Popo up, so I got spiked by his down taunt. But that was only once. Oh by the way, he mostly played on Smashville...

GGs.

WIGI

Smash Champion
i acualy taunt spiekd them abotu 3 times each. once i just taunt spiked nana. or popo..the not main one. lol,

but when there using the belay, the lag the elad ic has i can start up a taunt spike.. and yeah.. another one was **** tho. il post all the vids with it. xD

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
lol you TRIED to taunt spike me a few times.... but i never got in a position where that was viable.... oh well, these should be fun to watch. :D

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Well, since I fought WiGi, let me answer some of the questions.

Q: What moves separate the Ice Climbers the best?
A: After we've fought, Luigi Cyclone isn't necessarily the best way to separate them, but... such as if Nana is running to Popo nearly, and Luigi uses his cyclone, probably they're going to separate, but if DI it perfectly, probably one will get hit on the ground and one flying sideways.

Q: What moves annoy you guys?
A: Well, obviously his smashes?

Q: What are my best approach options?
A: Grounded Luigi Cyclone's best, but sometimes it can be shieldgrabbed or punished.

Q: How should I avoid being grabbed?
A: Stay in the air, if you're only in the ground as always, the ICs will use on of their approach options to a grab instead of running into a grab.

Q: What do I do once I am grabbed?
A: If you're being chaingrabbed at lower percents, mash the buttons. Higher percents won't make you escape the grabs, unless Popo or Nana does the charged smash from a throw, mash it as fast as you can.

Q: Edge guarding/gimping the ICs?
A: Well, one of your aerials can edgeguard the ICs pretty well, but I don't think he can gimp them right, unless your edgeguarding them, they might be gimped if their recovery messes up if desynched.

Q: Single Ice Climber tactics?
A: Uh, SoPo can chaingrab into an f-smash all the way to the edge, and probably the SoPo player might get defensive because he doesn't want to be killed.

WIGI

Smash Champion
lol NOW you tell me:p

but yeah i think i have my playstyle mostly figured out. what stages are my best cp options?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
but yeah i think i have my playstyle mostly figured out. what stages are my best cp options?
Hhm, any CPs that ruin their CGs... well, to be honest I don't really know. :ohwell:

And I do think Luigi's good on Lylat Cruise and Battlefield, he has more space to use more aerials and it can ruin the ICs, but once they're completely on the ground, they're now in shape.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
I'd say any of the Samus stages do a good job of disrupting chaingrabs (Frigate, Brinstar, Norfair.) Brinstar has a smaller KO zone than normal, making Luigi's kill moves even more deadly.

Rainbow Cruise also works because Luigi's pretty strong in the air.

Luigi can also abuse the platforms on Battlefield and Lylat pretty well I think.

I don't know where Luigi does best in general, but the first 4 stages I mention the Ice Climbers generally do bad on.

Top Bottom