• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong in Balanced Brawl

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
For BBrawl info you can click the link in my sig or look around SWF.

Balanced Brawl, or BBrawl for short is the latest Brawl community hack that aims to make the game more "balanced." It nerfs and buffs some characters while leaving the roots of brawl intact: auto-sweetspot ledges, same hitstun, same ways to get back to the stage.

There are a few changes for DK:

Jab 1 inner hit knockback (100/0) -> (0/30)
Dash attack sweetspot angle (50) -> (30)
Forward tilt angled up knockback (100/10) -> (100/30)
Forward tilt angled straight knockback (100/10) -> (100/30), angle (-) -> (40)
Forward tilt angled down knockback (100/10) -> (100/15), angle (-) -> (15)
Down cargo throw knockback (26/65) -> (10/80)
Aerial Head Butt sourspot knockback (40/15) -> (40/35), angle (70) -> (20)
Hand Slap damage (14%) -> (15%)
Grab release animation sped up 1.2x (as releaser)

In case you didn't know the numbers are angles, represnted in a 360 degree circle. Moving on.

The other big thing was the elimination of crazy chaingrabs by D3, Falco, and Pikachu, while changing the way the Whorenado sucks you in, nerfing the knockback of MK's dsmash and Shuttle Loop, nerfing of Snake's Utilt--making DK's matchups less of a problem, thereby exposing his potential.

Read up about it and the lists for ALL character changes at: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246327

And I would love to have some WiFi matches with all chars across the board, so you can see the breath of fresh air this presents!

Matchups for the most part don't differ from the tactics you must present to win, but there is less time worrying about getting grabbed and being sucked into tornados to actually fight and win. A lot of the 50-50 matchups are the same, and some 60-40 matches (like MK) are doable. There were some crazy game-changers that will affect some matchups so go check it out.

I love being able to shine in Balanced brawl--and all you DK mains will too! :D Happy brawling.

daisho

Smash Lord
Yeah I got balanced brawl and its awesome. I don't even need homebrew which is great since I was unwilling to do that.

Walkoffs are now great since DKs dash attack destroys them.

Falco DDD and metaknight are no longer bad matchups for DK... maybe DDD isn't great since he still has that techchase.

I think that Samus and Mario may be two of DKs worst matchups now.

But yeah this game is awesome you should all play it.

DK FOR TOP TIER!

Luigi player

Smash Master
Can anyone tell me what "Forward tilt angled up knockback (100/10) -> (100/30)" those two numbers are? The 100 and then the 10? Why does the knockback have 2 values? I thought it might be for a weak hit, but even throws have 2 numbers... :/

Also, why is DKs grab release animation x1,5? What frame advantage does he get? And how is it for all other characters?

DK is probably really nice in BB... I'd like to try it out, but I don't hack my wii =P

daisho

Smash Lord
How did you get it without homebrew?
Go read the thread. Its quite easy actually. Basically just put the files on your SD card, Delete all your custom stages on your wii, then go to stage builder and press "launch game", then take out your SD card and it works.

Idk if they made it work for other wiis but it definitely works for wiis in the United States. Here is the thread.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246327

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Can anyone tell me what "Forward tilt angled up knockback (100/10) -> (100/30)" those two numbers are? The 100 and then the 10? Why does the knockback have 2 values? I thought it might be for a weak hit, but even throws have 2 numbers... :/

Also, why is DKs grab release animation x1,5? What frame advantage does he get? And how is it for all other characters?

DK is probably really nice in BB... I'd like to try it out, but I don't hack my wii =P
Basically the first number is knockback growth and the second number is base knockback. They sped up his grab break as the holder because they globally sped up ground breaks to fix grab release infinites. Breaking out of his cargo hold isn't a free aerial for them as a result. Since everyone grab breaks faster when grabbed DK can now Dsmash anyone except Bowser from ground releases (unless they break too far away).

You also don't need to hack your Wii to play it. All you need is an SD card with the right files and it will work on any US Wii.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Basically the first number is knockback growth and the second number is base knockback. They sped up his grab break as the holder because they globally sped up ground breaks to fix grab release infinites. Breaking out of his cargo hold isn't a free aerial for them as a result. Since everyone grab breaks faster when grabbed DK can now Dsmash anyone except Bowser from ground releases (unless they break too far away).

You also don't need to hack your Wii to play it. All you need is an SD card with the right files and it will work on any US Wii.
Cool, maybe I'll try it out someday... thanks. ^^

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
its nice that the game is "balanced" but i personally dont want to get used to it. i dont think i will get into it but sounds like its doing well.

Tujex

Smash Ace
It's not like that crappy Brawl+ is it? Ugh...I despised that project.

I'll have to give this a try. Might be fun...but it won't take the place of regular Brawl.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
It is the same thing as regular Brawl except with small changes for better character balance and most of the stupid stuff like infinites are gone.

Tujex

Smash Ace
It is the same thing as regular Brawl except with small changes for better character balance and most of the stupid stuff like infinites are gone.
Really now? Well that sounds beautiful.

And you can get it without modding your Wii? Will I have to load the files EVERY time I restart my system, or will doing it once work every time I cut the system on. I figure it'd be the former...but it doesn't hurt to ask.

18.15.2.15x12.9.14.11

Smash Cadet
Really now? Well that sounds beautiful.

And you can get it without modding your Wii? Will I have to load the files EVERY time I restart my system, or will doing it once work every time I cut the system on. I figure it'd be the former...but it doesn't hurt to ask.
You figured right.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
It's not like that crappy Brawl+ is it? Ugh...I despised that project.

I'll have to give this a try. Might be fun...but it won't take the place of regular Brawl.
snake is broken in brawl+
he has an infinite with his ftilt. the knee trips so he can just hit you with it over and over again.

on topic post: considering its supposed to be "balanced" i dont see how DK would be top tier. wouldnt every character be top tier if its truly balanced?

daisho

Smash Lord
he has an infinite with his ftilt. the knee trips so he can just hit you with it over and over again.

on topic post: considering its supposed to be "balanced" i dont see how DK would be top tier. wouldnt every character be top tier if its truly balanced?
The main way they did balancing was to make all matchups within 60:40 either way. Obviously it is impossible to make every character be the same rank on the tier list.

Basically one of the creators of the project believes that while there is still a tier list, rather than going from Metaknight to Gannondorf it is more of a Metaknight to Kirby [as in, all characters in BBrawl are worse than normal brawl metaknight (not BBrawl metaknight) and better than normal brawl kirby (not BBrawl Kirby)]

**** way too many parenthesis...

Tujex

Smash Ace
The main way they did balancing was to make all matchups within 60:40 either way. Obviously it is impossible to make every character be the same rank on the tier list.

Basically one of the creators of the project believes that while there is still a tier list, rather than going from Metaknight to Gannondorf it is more of a Metaknight to Kirby [as in, all characters in BBrawl are worse than normal brawl metaknight (not BBrawl metaknight) and better than normal brawl kirby (not BBrawl Kirby)]

**** way too many parenthesis...
Sounds good to me!

Darknid

Smash Journeyman

This isn't true and never was. It doesn't even do that so it doesn't keep hitting you, and even when it did you could tech it.

Top Bottom