• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong can Pillar?

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Sounds convincing, but I don't think DK's B> plants your foe in the ground if used in midair. I'm sure it acts as a meteor when performed in the air.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
When you do it the second time it's low enough that it does plant them. It's barely in the air at all but you need that split second time or else they have time to get up again. You have to dair almost immediately after jumping to do it. It's even harder with fair but possible to do the whole thing with that too. I wouldn't recomend it. very hard.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
this is mostly flashy, I could never seeing this work on a consistant basis

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
the sideb works depending on where the opponent is, if the opponent is on the ground it plants, if they're in the air it spikes you can plant through platforms and then usmash for a cheap kill, being aerial doesnt affect it

mp1776120

Smash Rookie
the sideb works depending on where the opponent is, if the opponent is on the ground it plants, if they're in the air it spikes you can plant through platforms and then usmash for a cheap kill, being aerial doesnt affect it
so you're saying it's possible?
also, i gotta t ry that sideb on platformed opponents more often. it sounds like fun

and if this actually works, i can see it being very useful in competitive play. the biggest problem is timing the d-air though because there's no exact time when someone's going to pop up

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Well the thing is that yes there is actually an exact time that they're going to pop out. The time that they come out is based on their percentage and how much they're moving their control stick. If they're not touching the control stick at all the timing varies by percentage by a large amount. However, if they're rolling it around like crazy (as I imagine a human normally would), they pop out at a much more consistent timing that varies by a much smaller amount by percentage. If your opponent is not rolling their control stick around because they know you're going to do it, first of all it's going to be obvious because of the loud GC controllers and you can adjust your timing, second you can start jabbing them to rack up damage or just forward smash them if you feel like it, or third, if you've mistimed your full hop dair, can do a second jump into another dair. It is not an easy move to pull off but if it could actually be used against a human it would be lethal.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
I've been messing around with this with training dummies. As far as timing goes, I think the best idea is to just jump and dair, then jump again before touching the ground and dairing again. Just spam that and hope your opponent hops up into your foot, because honestly the timing seems a bit too unpredictable. Also I'm pretty sure you opponent could tech/roll away immediately after the dair, before you plant them again.

*Shrug* kinda neat, maybe, but I wonder if it could ever be reliable enough to forgo a free smash/giant punch.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
It's harder to do in training than it is against real opponents. The dummies will just wait for the regular timer to go out rather than struggling to break free so the difference between percentages is huge and it's hard to predict. If they're struggling it's actually lots easier to time. For almost all percentages the timing is within 2 to 3 seconds if they're struggling. Although level 9 computers can break out at low percentages (under 20%) really fast so that you don't have enough time to jump and dair but I have no idea how they do it because I've never been able to break out that fast. And yes it is possible to tech out of this but I don't know how hard it is to do. I know that level 9 comps can tech out of it but they don't everytime which leads me to believe that it may be hard to tech out of. And if you're doing it right they definetly should not have time to roll out of their on the ground animation before you can replant them. I've tested some more with this and you can speed it up by doing the dair immediately after the jump (and I mean really fast) so that you can hit them, fast fall and forward B before you land again with no lag. The timing's really hard though.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that people have to recover out of sideB while being vulnerable, so I enjoy hitting a sideB, nabbing a jab, than short hopping, as soon as they recovery Uair them for a vertical kill because DK can't Usmash them from pitfall. I believe this is the best Vertical option from pitfall, assuming they aren't stuck on a platform here a Usmash can't be charged.

I know Dsmash will hit vertical but the angles very unreliable ya know. This us a guaranteed star KO.

DK!

Smash Cadet
They reduced the chance of meteor spiking with the sideB. If they are above or on par with DK, it will only phase them or give them a small nudge down easy enough to recover. They need to be under you to really get the full hit. Try it in the air when edge guarding. They expect other ariels but not that.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I finally played around with this... sorry guys, it's no good. Additionally I tried other moves after the FULL jump Dair but Bair,Nair,Fair & Uair all fail to reach their active frames before he lands... sideB is just too slow to be reliable.

Problems
- Initial timing on Full jump Dair is too variable. (Character %, Character weight, Opponent input)
- People tech roll and make sideB whiff
- you have to DI perfectly to connect with the second sideB.

Solutions
- NO SOLUTION
- Use Descending DK Punch for tech trap
- Use Bsticking to alway hit with sideB is it always hits below you in this scenario.

All of this doesn't compare to a Fsmash, DK PUnch, or a full Jump Uair/Fair KO's

Yes it work on the CPU for a loop or two, but realistically... it's a different story.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
hmm well that's a shame. Thanks for testing it more thoroughly. I don't play DK much.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
you sure? I've actually got this off ~30% on a toonlink, got him with it like 3 times then tech chased him for the fourth to dk punch, seems like it works at some percents, and the DI can help you with techs

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I think it's pretty dependent on the player you're up against. If you guys can get it to work consistently we can redo the thread. I quit working on it a while back since Kyle Wattula said it wouldn't work. You'll have to try it against a good number of players before we can really say that it works. It's definetly escapable, it's just a matter of how escapable it is.

Top Bottom