• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong 1.0.6 version changes

SILENTWALL

Smash Rookie
Attention: If you haven't updated to 1.0.6, please backup your 1.0.2 update file (Wii U). Probably it will help you to compare the different between these two versions in the future.

Hi I'm a newcomer here. It seems there is no a thread talking about 1.0.6 changes on Donkey Kong. Let's make one.
Maybe I post somethings wrong, but I will edit it and show all the accurate changes later. Free feel to point out my mistake and post some accurate information here. Thank you.

The changes I see:
Jab's middle (elbow) hitboxes can pull opponent in by hit. Now like the pulling hit by tip hitboxes. CONFIRMED!
Neutral B charged faster. (According to what itsaxelol said) CONFIRMED!
Ledge Roll has 10 less frames of endlag. CONFIRMED by Big O!
Ledge Atk has 5 less frames of endlag. CONFIRMED by Big O!

Fsmash and Ftilt have hitboxes that extend closer to his body than before. (According to what Big O said)

Someone said that, but not sure:
FSmash, Neutral Bs and SideB can push opponent farther when they use normal shield to guard?
FSmash's hit box is extended forward slightly? (I don't think so)
Bair has less landing lag? (I don't think so.)
Uthrow>Uair or Cargo Uthrow>Uair or Cargo Jump>Uthrow>Uair seems easier to hit? (I don't think so)
Jab is faster? (I don't think so.)
Fair is faster? (I don't think so.)
Dair is faster and less landing lag? (I don't think so.)

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
punch goes faster by 1 wind up. thats it

anything else we need a data dump to confirm

Last edited:

DK-RULES

Smash Apprentice
Any confirmed changes, please add them here. Won't be able to play until late tonight or tomorrow so anxious to know.

Formaldehyde

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hodgers
His forward smash seems to me to have a slightly extended hit-box towards his body, still misses sometimes but less so than before.

SILENTWALL

Smash Rookie
His forward smash seems to me to have a slightly extended hit-box towards his body, still misses sometimes but less so than before.
Yea, I remember even the finger tip touched the oppoenent it didn't hit, but it hits in 1.0.6.
I guess you are right.

Last edited:

Agosta44

Smash Ace
Someone would have to go to flatzone and test the hitboxes for fsmash/ftilt to see if they match up or not. If they don't they're unchanged.

SILENTWALL

Smash Rookie
Someone would have to go to flatzone and test the hitboxes for fsmash/ftilt to see if they match up or not. If they don't they're unchanged.
Thanks your reminds. After the test, the range of fsmash and ftilt look like the same. I'm confused now. Would the range of ftilt also be extended to as same as fsmash?

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
It feels like he isn't Whiffy Kong anymore. His ftilt doesn't miss when you're way up in someone's grill.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I'm not sure why you guys did ftilt when someone was in your face anyway, either you grab, neutral attack, down tilt or forward b.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
The following are changes that I am confident are real.

DK
- Giant Punch charges slightly faster (easy to confirm when compared to Storm Punch which is unchanged)
- Jab's elbow hitbox pulls them in now like the tip hitbox (not as much frame adv. as the tip, but better than before)
- Fsmash and Ftilt have hitboxes that extend closer to his body than before (still whiffs sometimes, but not as often)
- Ledge Roll has 10 less frames of endlag
- Ledge Atk has 5 less frames of endlag

General
- Lylat and Omega Lylat ledges no longer gimp people, so we lost a pretty strong CP stage
- Changes to ledge slope mechanics made Cargo Utoss Stage Spikes impossible/impractical on most stages
- Can no longer Ftilt/Fsmash with an item in hand (hurts item spawning characters more than it hurts us)
- Can smash attack using A+B
- Can no longer Dtilt or Utilt using c-stick set to smash (worst change this patch honestly)

The reddit jab, Fair, Dair, and Down B changes are all fake.

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
It feels like dair's hitbox is a lil bigger/fitting but that might be placebo

DK-RULES

Smash Apprentice
I played about 10 matches. Half against mewtwos and half against Diddy and ness. Totally owned them all. LOL
It felt easier against Diddy for sure to win but hard to tell against strangers online if they were good or not before.
The Wind felt a bit quicker and the f-tilts connected better.
Of course, playing against people with crappy internet speeds hampers it somewhat so hard to tell on anything else.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
This is mostly off topic and has some tangential relation to DK, but I really lament the huge nerf of diddy; he was the only thing standing in the way of characters like Rosalina, ZSS, Sonic, and the no-frame wonders mario and luigi among a few others from completely dominating smash 4 in the same way melee is dominated by a few characters...because a good DK could beat a good diddy or sheik in the prior patch; the problem is that DK cannot beat the next tier of characters listed above without great difficulty, never mind a whole slew of other characters, which is why you would never see DKs in the tops of local tournaments (outside of customs, and even with customs on). The only people that were calling for a big nerf were the players that played a zss or rosalina and knew that he was the only thing that prevented their character from being the best, with nothing to stop them. And lets be clear here, there were not that many great diddy's at tournaments, it just so happens that the best players happened to also be playing Diddy. Now we have to deal with camping rosalinas and annoying ZSS, mario, and luigis...sometimes I think they deserve having to deal with kongnado, those assholes.

BTW, with Sheik's back kick nerfed and DK's hitbox extended on fsmash plus faster charge, I think the matchup is now in DK's favor...what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
BTW, with Sheik's back kick nerfed and DK's hitbox extended on fsmash plus faster charge, I think the matchup is now in DK's favor...what do you guys think?
The only thing I think DK has vs Sheik is that he's heavy and she doesn't have a good spike. So he'll be living for a while, giving him some hefty rage power. Sheik destroys him, honestly. She can camp him out if she wants to, and he's combo food. It's a tough matchup.

SILENTWALL

Smash Rookie
I can't believe they removed the glitch of "FSpecial's closest range > turn opponent's direction". (Same to ForwardAirSpecial) IMO, it is not a big deal.

Sigh... I forgot to make a backup of previous version of update file. It is hard to compare the different now. -_-

- Can no longer Dtilt or Utilt using c-stick set to smash (worst change this patch honestly)
Big O, could you explain it in details, please?

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
This is mostly off topic and has some tangential relation to DK, but I really lament the huge nerf of diddy; he was the only thing standing in the way of characters like Rosalina, ZSS, Sonic, and the no-frame wonders mario and luigi among a few others from completely dominating smash 4 in the same way melee is dominated by a few characters...because a good DK could beat a good diddy or sheik in the prior patch; the problem is that DK cannot beat the next tier of characters listed above without great difficulty, never mind a whole slew of other characters, which is why you would never see DKs in the tops of local tournaments (outside of customs, and even with customs on). The only people that were calling for a big nerf were the players that played a zss or rosalina and knew that he was the only thing that prevented their character from being the best, with nothing to stop them. And lets be clear here, there were not that many great diddy's at tournaments, it just so happens that the best players happened to also be playing Diddy. Now we have to deal with camping rosalinas and annoying ZSS, mario, and luigis...sometimes I think they deserve having to deal with kongnado, those *******s.

shiek vs DK is one of DKs worst matches. a 2% bair nerf or whatever does nothing. shiek needs a complete overhaul of her frames/landing lag

i also dont believe any fsmash hitbox or range buff

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I can't believe they removed the glitch of "FSpecial's closest range > turn opponent's direction". (Same to ForwardAirSpecial) IMO, it is not a big deal.
Can you explain more about this FSpecial closest range glitch? I never heard about this.

Pinuzzo

Smash Rookie
On Omega Skyworld I killed Toon Link at the edge of the stage with a back throw when he was at 76%. Is this normal?

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO

Sigh... I forgot to make a backup of previous version of update file. It is hard to compare the different now. -_-

Big O, could you explain it in details, please?
Before the patch, you could Dtilt/Utilt with the c-stick by holding down/up and hitting down/up on the c-stick.

Uair always did 13% in smash 4. Up B always did fractional damage (two of them in a row does 35% before and after the patch) and I think what really happened is training mode rounding the fractional %'s differently in the display.

I also have no idea what you are referring to with the "Side B glitch".

Last edited:

SILENTWALL

Smash Rookie
Metalbro, If "SideB or Jumping SideB" hit or block in the closest range (two characters overlap), it will force to turn opponent's direction (Back to Front; Front to Back). However, it's kinder risky because the range of hitboxes are extreme short. I watched some Japanese players tried to do it in casual matches video, then I tried it and realized it is a glitch.

Last edited:

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Metalbro, If "SideB or Jumping SideB" hit or block in the closest range (two characters overlap), it will force to turn opponent's direction (Back to Front; Front to Back). However, it's kinder risky because the range of hitboxes are extreme short. I watched some Japanese players tried to do it in casual matches video, then I tried it and realized it is a glitch.
So you mean if DK is practically in the center (lets say he's a tiny bit to the left) of his opponent and uses his headbutt the opponent would face the other direction when they get buried or even if they are blocking?

SILENTWALL

Smash Rookie
Metalbro and Big O, Sorry for my mistake and weak memory. I think this glitch still exist in 1.0.6 after few more test on the other characters. And I have to correct somethings.

You can do it with Jumping SideB on every characters (I believe) on hit or on block.
For example: Tap jumping SideB into the closest range (on the top of opponent's head) and use the legs to stump on opponent's head. If on hit, it will turn opponent's direction. If on block, it will push opponent to your back side.
** I haven't tried other jumping methods, but I think it will work too if the position is correct.

For ground SideB, I believe the glitch only work on light weight or thin characters.
For example: Just dash into the closest range (Two characters overlap) and do SideB. The result will be the same as Jumping SideB, but for specific characters only.

Before the patch, you could Dtilt/Utilt with the c-stick by holding down/up and hitting down/up on the c-stick.

Uair always did 13% in smash 4. Up B always did fractional damage (two of them in a row does 35% before and after the patch) and I think what really happened is training mode rounding the fractional %'s differently in the display.
I use pro controller. Its left stick can do Dtilt/Utilt still. And I see the gamecube controller setting can set c-stick for Attack. Is it any different between two controller on this setting?

For the damage #, I have removed it from the first post. Thanks.

Last edited:

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
shiek vs DK is one of DKs worst matches. a 2% bair nerf or whatever does nothing. shiek needs a complete overhaul of her frames/landing lag

i also dont believe any fsmash hitbox or range buff
I can't say I agree with you on it being one of dks worst matches. I do very well against sheik. Maybe we can share replays now btw, so we can each see how we deal with our matchup problems.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
I can't say I agree with you on it being one of dks worst matches. I do very well against sheik. Maybe we can share replays now btw, so we can each see how we deal with our matchup problems.
have you played on anthers ladder? if not, you should try it. i do great on FG shieks and ZSS' too. but any decent shiek or zss isnt going to be anything less than a 7:3

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I've met a great sheik at a local friendlies, he's ranked like 4th best in the KC metro area (I'm in Oklahoma most of the time while also living in KC), and I met some late night sheiks that knew their ****. I won about 50% of the matches, and that was before me recently getting a little better. I have no idea how anthers ladder works so if you fill me in I'll try to do it. If you personally know any great sheik I'm also willing to face him so you can see how I deal with him.

Btw you won't see me disagreeing about zss, talk about annoying.

Last edited:

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
The reddit crew has documented these changes for Donkey Kong:
  • Neutral-B charges faster (UNCONFIRMED)
  • Neutral-A is faster
  • Dair is faster
  • Fsmash improved hitbox
  • Side-B breaks fully charged shields
I don't know why the Neural-B buff is unconfirmed, you can see the difference lol. When they say neutral-A I don't know if they mean jab or nair though...
Can anyone confirm if that Side-B buff is true? It would make me so happy lol.

DK-RULES

Smash Apprentice
I hit a few shields that didn't break yesterday, so not true from what I have seen. Wish it were true.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Just tested side b, it does not break fully charged shields, however...I think whoever Is shielding has a split second less to hold on to shield, but this could be because I was testing it with 2 controllers and I pressed shield at a different time? If you guys could test it as well we would know for sure. If true then that is a major buff for sure. I also don't believe dair is faster.

Last edited:

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
His hitboxes for Fsmash and ftilt have been changed to not whiff as often.
+1 to to Donkey Punch having faster animation so it ends up taking 10 wind ups compared to the old version.
Side B still leaves opponents with a very tiny ball when hitting a full shield. Everything else feels unchanged
I have a feeling where Fsmash pushes opponents farther when they don't perfect shield. (Needs confirmation)

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
Yeah I head butted a friend in some locals and he did get away with a tiny bit of shield, so its not full. Maybe it chips a little bit more than it did, nothing anyone will notice I don't think.

DK-RULES

Smash Apprentice
With that tiny bit more, we could be more aggressive once an opponent uses the shield a little bit before it regenerates. So from a mind games perspective, anything helps.
It does feel like a f-smash pushes further out except for perfect shields

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
I guess it would allow us to get a little reckless with the up B because it punishes rolls and they wouldn't be able to block it.
Hey Maybe I'll start using F-Smash then lol

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
btw the difference pre and post patch with giant punch is 144 vs. 172 frames, which is roughly half a second saved.

Those 28 frames saved is close to two, but not quite two, less swings (his prepatch swings) of dks arm.

Last edited:

SILENTWALL

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure that "Jab's middle (elbow) hitboxes can pull opponent in by hit now like the pulling in tip hitboxes".
check this old clip @4m17s and compare it to 1.0.6 version:

What do you guys think? Let me know.

Big O, for the c-stick issue. I know what you are talking about. Thank you.

btw the difference pre and post patch with giant punch is 144 vs. 172 frames, which is roughly half a second saved.
You tested it? Right?
Even though I think you guys are correct, do you have any example or video to show? Anyway, I set it "confirmed".

Last edited:

Tujex

Smash Ace
After some matches it looks like SideB comes out faster, Dair comes out faster, and N and B air all are faster. It just seems like DK got a speed boost overall, and he seems to kill about 10% earlier than before, but that could be because of weight changes on characters...

But this is all speculation, I have no data-data to "prove" any of this.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
After some matches it looks like SideB comes out faster, Dair comes out faster, and N and B air all are faster. It just seems like DK got a speed boost overall, and he seems to kill about 10% earlier than before, but that could be because of weight changes on characters...

But this is all speculation, I have no data-data to "prove" any of this.
It's all wrong.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I found 2 more changes DK got. I noticed that his ledge roll seemed way better than I remembered, so I checked it and confirmed my suspicions. Both his Ledge Roll and Ledge Atk have less endlag. Now his Ledge Roll isn't terrible.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I found 2 more changes DK got. I noticed that his ledge roll seemed way better than I remembered, so I checked it and confirmed my suspicions. Both his Ledge Roll and Ledge Atk have less endlag. Now his Ledge Roll isn't terrible.
damn, i should have actually checked that instead of thinking it was probably the same!

BTW, one thing I will note in terms of lessons of this patch. The lesson is that they do not want to touch frame data when it comes to characters basic movesets on the ground and air. They'll touch their specials, and their ledge getups, and of course % damage, but nothing else. From what I can tell, the only basic moveset they did change was Diddy's forward smash, which supposedly has more end lag. But given what we have discovered I wouldn't doubt if they were actually wrong about this. In other words, any discussion of the patch team looking at frame data is believing in fantasy, as I had suspected.

Last edited:
Top Bottom