• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, i have a simple question regarding net play setup (hopefully at least)
The guide mentions going to the AR section after right clicking the ISO file in dolphin and enabling the Global Melee Net play cheat... but my list of AR codes doesn't include it for some reason. Any suggestions?
Make sure you're using the correct Dolphin Netplay version. The last time I checked (a while ago actually), the version was 4.0-652.

i was getting a new computer anyway. but now i kindve want one to match the specs needed for net play. Any suggestions for a laptop with specs decent enough for netplay to run thats a decent price? o:
A recent Intel i5 and Intel integrated graphics should at least get you started. Preferably, you'd have an i7 with either Iris Pro graphics or a dedicated card.
The Dolphin team recommends Nvidia in general, though I've heard Nvidia laptops have problems because of Optimus.
4GB of RAM or more should do.

Last edited:

Tawkos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tawkos
"Failed to load D3DCompiler_42.dll, update your DX11 runtime, please." That's what I get when I try to play the game. sigh

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
I've installed netplay a while ago, but it kept lagging even in offline mode...
can someone tell me wether my computer is too bad, or wether there's something i can do? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Processor: AMD Athlon II 435 Processor
Memory: 4096 MB Ram
Graphic card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

anything else that'd be important? I think I should be able to run smash smoothly, but it wont...

Last edited:

Brozinski

Smash Rookie
I play with an ATI Radeon HD 6800 series, and I lag occasionally. I think it's probably your graphics card that's the problem

Afron

Smash Rookie
I've installed netplay a while ago, but it kept lagging even in offline mode...
can someone tell me wether my computer is too bad, or wether there's something i can do? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Processor: AMD Athlon II 435 Processor
Memory: 4096 MB Ram
Graphic card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

anything else that'd be important? I think I should be able to run smash smoothly, but it wont...
Both your CPU and GPU are less than what they should be to get a solid FPS. I'd say, if emulating is all you really want, upgrade your CPU to an I7 or AMD equivalent. But I'd go for upgrading both if you can, and if you do a higher grade I5 CPU should do the trick, along with maybe a Radeon 7850 GPU or anything else in that range.

Afron

Smash Rookie
I've had my eye on a few computers such as these ones. Is it possible for these computers to run dolphin netplay?

1 http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Gaming-FX6164-Desktop/dp/B00AZ428N8/ref=psdc2_t1_B00GFG1B1A_B00AZ428N8

2 http://www.amazon.com/CybertronPC-B...pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1398802549&sr=1-10&keywords=PC
I believe the first one is the better one.
The first one will run it without a doubt, and for a prebuilt that isn't a bad price actually. The second, however is a huge rip off and you could build a PC with those specs for less than $600, and it would not run Smash nearly as consistently.

Sorry for double post, dunno if you can edit in replies.

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
What is the cheapest nvidia graphics card that will run project m netplay? Actually what is the cheapest graphics card that will run it in general

And this is just for standard singles

Last edited:

ndustiny

Smash Rookie
When trying to host a netplay game, instead of giving an address code to copy to the client I get "Error: Bad Host".
When trying to connect to a netplay game after inputing a server's address code I get a message box saying "Could not connect to central server dolphin-emu.org".

This has only started now when it had worked fine on multiple occasions in the past.

Any ideas?

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
I have a question. Every time I start up the game alone or online with friends i ask me to choose a memory card. So, when it does this online with my friends it de-syncs our games so they are in the character select and I am at the start menu. If i move through the menus my friends can see my cerser moving on their side but for me it am still in the menu. So, if any one could help that would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
You probably aren't using the Global Melee Netplay code or the latest version. of the emulator Check the OP.

Last edited:

Afron

Smash Rookie
What is the cheapest nvidia graphics card that will run project m netplay? Actually what is the cheapest graphics card that will run it in general

And this is just for standard singles
I would say your best bet would be a GeForce GTX 750 Ti if you want a Nividia card, they go for anywhere from $130 to $160 depending on where you look, but you could go with the Radeon 7850. I have it and an FX 4130 which is not a very strong CPU and get 60 frames easy, and I've found multiple in the $100 to $130 range. Can't say for sure which is better though tbh.

If you go here and look for either of those cards, this is probably your best bet to find them as cheap as possible. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a8&qq=1

Also does anyone ever have problems connecting the the IRC? I get error messages and can't connect to the server half the times I try, then after I do I get another error message usually less then 5 minutes later and I can not type or see what others type and have to restart, putting me back where I can't connect. It's a little irksome.

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
I can't seem to find a solution to my problem on google so I'll ask about it here. I can't connect to netplay whenever I used a wired connection. Everything else that requires internet access to work still works (ex I can still browse the web) but netplay fails to connect to other people. When I play using wifi, netplay works. From what I understand, games are smoother with a wired connection so I'd like to fix this. Does anybody have an idea why this is happening?

Acryte

Smash Ace
I'd like to start playing but something weird is going on. It doesn't matter if I host or not, whenever I am in the room initially I'll have a constant ping of around 35ms but then as soon as I start up the game, it will have around 35ms and then all of a sudden it spikes to around 800ms and then back down to 35. It spikes once every 3 to 4 seconds and pretty much ruins it. I'm not sure if this is some setting I can change, but I don't think it's my ISP since it stays low at 35ms with no problems until the game starts. My Alienware laptop should be fine, it runs at 60FPS with out a single hiccup when I'm hosting a game and fighting an AI locally. I also tried turning off my wireless and switching to wired just to check it out and see... not sure what the problem is though. I'm using Dolphin 4.0-652 my CPU is an i7-3630QM (2.4Ghz / 4 cores) and my gfx card is a Nvidia 660M.

Last edited:

Palmerfan

Smash Apprentice
After every 3 or 4 games I play, I get a desync. Even if I restart it, the desyncs come back after a game or two. I know its not my computer (i7 3770k 16GB ram, gtx650 etc) or my internet (120 down 11 up), so what could be causing it? Im running melee 1.02 on dolphin 4.0-652 if that makes a difference.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
After every 3 or 4 games I play, I get a desync. Even if I restart it, the desyncs come back after a game or two. I know its not my computer (i7 3770k 16GB ram, gtx650 etc) or my internet (120 down 11 up), so what could be causing it? Im running melee 1.02 on dolphin 4.0-652 if that makes a difference.
That was an old problem with running netplay on Dual Core. Single Core will probably solve your problem.

Pat1

Smash Rookie
For me the game itself works fine in single player, but when I try to connect to a friend, the connection box just greys out and after ~15 seconds it says Disconnected. My friend can play online so it's on my end. I followed the instructions and have everything setup as it should be, does anyone have any ideas?

zorlinshape

Smash Rookie
Anyone in Washington (Seattle area) want to play? PM me, I'm usually available during evenings.

Boondocker

Smash Ace
Can someone help a noob out? I am running melee through dolphin but i am only runnning at ~30 FPS. How can I speed this up? Do I need a new graphics card? I have a AMD Radeon HD 6310 card now.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Can someone help a noob out? I am running melee through dolphin but i am only runnning at ~30 FPS. How can I speed this up? Do I need a new graphics card? I have a AMD Radeon HD 6310 card now.
Your system is simply too weak, and there's no way to upgrade yours. I'm surprised you even get half speed.
You just can't emulate a sixth-gen console on a netbook from 3 years ago.

Last edited:

yohobojz

Smash Cadet
What is the input lag like for this, do people have any ideas? also please quote my post if/when you answer so I get an alert

SpiderMad

Smash Master
How many FPS should I be getting?
"
Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Manufacturer: Intel
Speed: 2.5 GHz
Category: Mainstream
Generation: 10th
Brand: Core i3 3rd Gen
Cores: 4
Your CPU ranks in the 53rd percentile.
Out of worldwide population of 2,912,846 Intel processors, your processor is more powerful than 1,545,255 others."

Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Chipset: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Memory: 32 MB
Generation: 11th
DirectX: 11
Your graphics card ranks in the 71st percentile.
Out of worldwide population of 1,742,404 Intel graphics devices, your device is more powerful than 1,242,655 others.

4gig ram

Last edited:

TheHammer

Smash Rookie
So my laptop is kinda old and cant support this, so I was going to buy a new one. The one im looking at seems good to me, but I really dont know anything about computer specs. So could someone tell if these specs are good enough? Because I dont want to get a new laptop if it cant support this. These are the specs:

Intel Core First Gen i5 processor (1.9 GHz, 3M cache)
8 GB of RAM (4x2)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M 2GB Graphics

Last edited:

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
What is the input lag like for this, do people have any ideas? also please quote my post if/when you answer so I get an alert
Offline, it's completely dependent on your display, controller, and OS (Windows 8 and up introduce unavoidable lag for most controllers).
Online, it depends on internet connection type and distance. I hear 5 frames across the US isn't uncommon if you both have fiber.

How many FPS should I be getting?
"
Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Speed: 2.5 GHz
Generation: 10th
Brand: Core i3 3rd Gen
Cores: 4
Your CPU ranks in the 53rd percentile.
Out of worldwide population of 2,912,846 Intel processors, your processor is more powerful than 1,545,255 others."

Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Chipset: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Memory: 32 MB
Generation: 11th
DirectX: 11
Your graphics card ranks in the 71st percentile.
Out of worldwide population of 1,742,404 Intel graphics devices, your device is more powerful than 1,242,655 others.

4gig ram
With 2 players, you should be getting full speed on most stages.

So my laptop is kinda old and cant support this, so I was going to buy a new one. The one im looking at seems good to me, but I really dont know anything about computer specs. So could someone tell if these specs are good enough? Because I dont want to get a new laptop if it cant support this. These are the specs:

Intel Core First Gen i5 processor (1.9 GHz, 3M cache)
8 GB of RAM (4x2)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M 2GB Graphics
That combo sounds really weird. Could you post an actual link?
Though to answer the question directly, I don't think it's good enough to get full speed.

Last edited:

TheHammer

Smash Rookie

ToastRider

Smash Rookie
what are the settings to optimize performance, like minimal frame drops or w/e

i used all the speedups they suggested on the 1st post and its pretty good but just wondering if theres a way to make it run faster

Jr.

Smash Rookie
Hi.
I successfuly make dolphin to works well with my graphic card, but my next problem is about my controler. I feel a slight difference between my controller on the PC and on the Wii. Could you please show me screenshot of your controller's configuration ?
I have a white controller btw, I don't know if that has some importance.

Thank !

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
The first one no longer appears to be on sale, but whatever.
The first one may get you by, but don't expect FoD or doubles to run full speed.
The second one is much better, and is cheaper right now.

I would also like to point out that I feel those are both highly overpriced, even on sale. You can get a laptop with a 4th Gen i7 and top-of-the-line AMD graphics card for $1200.

TheHammer

Smash Rookie
The first one no longer appears to be on sale, but whatever.
The first one may get you by, but don't expect FoD or doubles to run full speed.
The second one is much better, and is cheaper right now.

I would also like to point out that I feel those are both highly overpriced, even on sale. You can get a laptop with a 4th Gen i7 and top-of-the-line AMD graphics card for $1200.
really? can u post a link?

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
  1. Install Project M (fullset) into a FULL Brawl ISO. When you dump, you cannot trim or scrub it, it must be a legitimate Brawl ISO. I highly recommend using a Wii to dump it as it's the easiest and safest way.
do i install it project m through dolphin? how do i dump it using a wii?

Acryte

Smash Ace
I'd like to start playing but something weird is going on. It doesn't matter if I host or not, whenever I am in the room initially I'll have a constant ping of around 35ms but then as soon as I start up the game, it will have around 35ms and then all of a sudden it spikes to around 800ms and then back down to 35. It spikes once every 3 to 4 seconds and pretty much ruins it. I'm not sure if this is some setting I can change, but I don't think it's my ISP since it stays low at 35ms with no problems until the game starts. My Alienware laptop should be fine, it runs at 60FPS with out a single hiccup when I'm hosting a game and fighting an AI locally. I also tried turning off my wireless and switching to wired just to check it out and see... not sure what the problem is though. I'm using Dolphin 4.0-652 my CPU is an i7-3630QM (2.4Ghz / 4 cores) and my gfx card is a Nvidia 660M.
Has no one any ideas about how to fix this problem?

Jonte

Smash Cadet
Is it even possible to do doubles over netplay? Not CPU limit related but if I for example have 2 people connecting to me at the same time, even if they both have around 40ms latency, the buffer needs to be set at least 6-7 to not lag. It's like their latency gets added together, so instead of 40ms it acts like they have 80ms. Hard to explain but I hope you got my point.

It's weird that dolphin works like that, because other emulators that do netplay (e.g. PJ64) you can have 4 players on at the same time from different locations and the buffer only needs to be adjusted to the person with the highest latency.

Top Bottom