• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
European players average 3 - 4 frames to East Coast U.S. It's just the distance coming into effect.

Orancube

Smash Cadet
I
You are always gonna have a high delay europe - usa, 5 frames at least I'm guessing if they are on the east coast so if you want to play low delay games you would have to play against europeans.

I'm from Sweden and would love to play sometime once I retrieve my adapter (though the first few games would contain some small lagspikes since I have some lagspike issues until everything is loaded into ram, usually takes a minute per stage to get rid of).

Sounds good!
We should keep in touch ^^.
If there are enough people interested, would it be a good Idea to set up a fb group or IRC or whatever for European players?
I'd love to play against a broad spectrum including the USA, but with those delays.... it get's kinda tricky.

Orancube

Smash Cadet
Let me know if you make an European IRC group, I might join if there are enough players.

I will,

So far I have about 3 dutch people who have it up and running... so it isn't really worth while yet.
I'm trying to encourage more people to play with netplay though ^^.

Xelotath

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I have an Intel Quad Q6600, 6GB DDR2, and a Radeon 4800 pro. I know it's getting old, but the game works fine on FD, I get 60 FPS constant but on stages like Fountain of Dreams I get 30 FPS. Is there a way to make it lag less? I'm trying to get back into Melee and online play would be pretty cool. Thanks

Xelotath

Smash Rookie
Makes the game lag a little bit like 55-58 fps but it does make Fountain playable, but with weird black dots everywhere. Oh well, I'll mess around with it once I get my GC controller adapter. Thanks!

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Makes the game lag a little bit like 55-58 fps but it does make Fountain playable, but with weird black dots everywhere. Oh well, I'll mess around with it once I get my GC controller adapter. Thanks!
I have a C2Q Q6600 also. You said you have 6GB RAM, and that concerns me. Are you running 2x 1GB and 2x 2GB? Make sure your RAM is running in Dual Channel mode.
According to JMC, RAM bandwidth has an unusually high effect on Dolphin's performance. The easiest way would be to remove the 1GB stick altogether.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
I could never confirm that unfortunately. Ram just seems to be weird about how it affects Dolphin. I couldn't get any correlation unfortunately.

Anyway, guide is updated for the new INI, which adds Pokemon Stadium to the Stage Randomizer. Also in the works is a new netplay protocol that will eliminate the need to port forward for hosting. Looking forward to that.

That also means that we can do cheaper 4 player netplay, which may allow for low latency doubles/FFA matches in the near future.

_V_

Smash Ace
This is amazing...thank you for all the effort you guys put into this :)

Everything seems to work for me, except the audio...is the audio not supposed to work?

Edit//Never mind...audio works fine haha

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Your welcome :D. Dolphin's Dev team has helped us a lot to make this possible. Soon we'll be able to cut down the number of steps even further to make the game easier for people to play.

Hean

Smash Rookie
I want to try Netplay with anyone. I can't setup but I'll join you. add me on Skype: emhean.

Xelotath

Smash Rookie
Regarding my ram I have 2x 2GB in dual channel and a 1x 2GB. I have this setup because I originally had 4 GB and one of the 2 sticks failed, so I bought a new set of 2x 2GB and used the other stick as well. Never really had troubles with that setup, I guess it's worth a try to remove the extra stick.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Also in the works is a new netplay protocol that will eliminate the need to port forward for hosting. Looking forward to that.

That also means that we can do cheaper 4 player netplay, which may allow for low latency doubles/FFA matches in the near future.
Don't forget about the 85% of players who can't host because they're on a university connection!
The main reason I haven't been around lately is because I'm locked out of my router's settings, and I need to fix the port forwarding for Dolphin. UDP netplay will fix that!

I also heard whisperings that UDP would make Wi-Fi playable...

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
Getting new Computer soon so count me in. Just need to setup everything first :D ... I'm from Europe btw.

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
Is there any way to make the controller more responsive. It's almost impossible to dash dance properly. Any settings I could change to improve the response?

EDIT:

One minute later and I fixed it for myself^^, just needed to change the radius setting for the control stick.

BachMcGee

Smash Rookie
What adapters are you guys using? Is there any specific one I should be looking to buy or does it not really make a difference?

smakis

Smash Ace
I will,

So far I have about 3 dutch people who have it up and running... so it isn't really worth while yet.

Did anything come out of this? Got it up and running and I'm now looking for europeans to play with =P

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
BEST and more accurate stick reading adapter
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gamecube_to_usb/index.php

Thank You!
Well... I have one. Unless I'm in an unusual mood, I'd rather play with an x360 controller. I prefer no lag to grooves and stick accuracy.

I could never confirm that unfortunately. Ram just seems to be weird about how it affects Dolphin. I couldn't get any correlation unfortunately.
Actually, I could definitely see this being true. PPC has way more registers than x86-64, so Dolphin has a register allocator. That means millions of RAM accesses every second. I can't tell if lower timings or higher bandwidth would have the larger impact, however.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
lol what lag? if anything there is more delay on 360 1st party wired. there's no way anyone notices <900μS (.9 milliseconds), that's less than 1/16 of 1 frame. if you can notice that than i'd like to meet you in person and play some games.

Source "With this solution implemented, the controller polling is always well placed inside the 900μS slot available between USB interrupts, as can be seen in the following screenshot:"

i don't like xbox360 skittles for melee, bumpers always felt weird to me as well.

oh yeah and there's this crazy test on youtube that says wired is 4frame delay LOL.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
I definitely recommend the Raphnet Adapter to those of you who are extremely set on the absolute lowest latency. If you're a median player, the Mayflash is great for casual gaming and definitely serviceable for Online Tournaments.

Exasm

Smash Rookie
I will,

I this a thing yet? Dutchy reporting in! You guys down for some matches:)?

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
lol what lag? if anything there is more delay on 360 1st party wired. there's no way anyone notices <900μS (.9 milliseconds), that's less than 1/16 of 1 frame. if you can notice that than i'd like to meet you in person and play some games.

Source "With this solution implemented, the controller polling is always well placed inside the 900μS slot available between USB interrupts, as can be seen in the following screenshot:"

i don't like xbox360 skittles for melee, bumpers always felt weird to me as well.

oh yeah and there's this crazy test on youtube that says wired is 4frame delay LOL.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that mine is a N64/GC combo adapter. There are at least 2 frames of lag (33ms) with either controller, measured on several desktops and my phone.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
So with this new build Brawl, and by extension PM, online will be more easily accessible and may be 100% functional, and free from lag?

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Once Netplay for Brawl/Project M is perfected, that is the plan. Right now it's complicated and not worth doing, but there are plans to make it much, much easier.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
We're holding a European based Netplay Tournament on the Global Melee stream today. If you're interested in the status of online players in europe, this is the stream to watch. Hopefully events like this will help the european segment of online play to grow much faster. Thanks in advance to everyone who shows up!

http://www.twitch.tv/global_melee

Frank_desu

Smash Cadet
Edit: Someguy on the irc chat found me a solution. Shame I just can't delete this post altogether : /

I have no idea why but after I close out of Dolphin if I try to reopen it it says "Dolphin.exe has stopped working"

I know this isn't tech support but I'm desperate and this is obnoxious...

if this means anything to anyone that'd be amazing. I just wanna play online... : /

"Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Dolphin.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 523bff02
Fault Module Name: dbghelp.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7c5ac
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000007fef38bfc03
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: d41d
Additional Information 2: d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e
Additional Information 3: 0df9
Additional Information 4: 0df9955153a195f33e978fe7a6d28769"

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad someone here was able to help you out!

By the way, we held our BiWeekly tournament over the weekend and had 25 entrants. We had a lot of great matches and uploaded them to our youtube channel. Particularly, I think we had a lot of great matches this time and very few problems on the emulator's side. I'd link to a playlist if Smashboards system would let me, but for now, here's an example of the fun we had during the tournament.

Top Bottom