• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dojo reveal: Olimar

Tesh

Smash Hero
we dont know much about the stage from zoomed in still images

for all we know it might be a cluttered, scrolling walkoff stage that no one will want to play

its pretty though

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
we dont know much about the stage from zoomed in still images

for all we know it might be a cluttered, scrolling walkoff stage that no one will want to play

its pretty though
Well there appears to be a suspended platform in some of the images, so that much we know

Tesh

Smash Hero
I think its some kind of boat. In the Bowser picture it looks tilted, yet you see rocks and small plants level with it, so i dont think its above ground level.

I think distant planet was awesome btw. As a competitive player I didnt play much of it, but it was a better stage than what Sonic got.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I really like Olimar and the Pikmin's designs a lot here. The whistle's cool, I enjoy the new stage here, and if we're getting release date-coordinated character reveals, then I think I've figured out the schedule:

August: Luigi (New Super Luigi U)/ Princess Peach (Mario & Luigi: Dream Team)
September: Mewtwo (Pokemon X/Y) / Other Pokemon Rep
October: Toon Link (Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD)
November: Diddy Kong (DKC: Tropical Freeze)
December: Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic Lost World)

EH? But back to Olimar, I think that it'd be cooler if he had a new Up Special instead of Pikmin Tether. For it's replacement, maybe something with the Onions. THEY FLY.

Tesh

Smash Hero
sonic is in october, mario is in december

i feel like peach should be confirmed in december as she is actually playable in the new mario game, good call on luigi next i didnt think of that

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Why would Olimar play bad if he only had 3? As far as moveset functions are concerned, the only move it affects is his up B, which could be replaced. In terms of balance, it also means Olimar needs to play more intelligently, and it allows for much easier control over your pikmin choices. I would say him playing with 3 would be an actual improvement in all cases so long as his up B works properly.

Also, even though it doesn't mean its confirmed, Sakurai went out of his way to show his main image with only 3 Pikmin, and subsequently only 3 Pikmin in every photo. I'm fairly confident that is what is happening to him.
It would be bad because it would limit his options. Yes 3 Pikmin would allow more managment over your Pikmin, but it isn't that hard to manage 6 Pikmin and do you realize how easily Pikmin die? Even in top level play of Brawl top Olimars go through their Pikmin fast. Heck when playing Olimar you will most likely try to get rid of Pikmin so you can pluck more Pikmin till you get enough of the ones you want to make a certain MU more favorable to you. The disadvantadges of 3 Pikmin outweigh the advantadges. You just go through Pikmin to fast for 3 to be viable at all. I mean really with 6 Pikmin it's rare to not go through at least half of the line of Pikmin in the first 30 seconds. Limiting him to 3 Pikmin would end up nerfing him to much. And instead of nerfing a character who doesn't deserve it why not buf characters that really need buffs? >_>

And ofc just because they show 3 Pikmin in the screens doesn't mean that is what h is limited to. 3 is the default number. .-.

Ulevo

Smash Master
It would be bad because it would limit his options. Yes 3 Pikmin would allow more managment over your Pikmin, but it isn't that hard to manage 6 Pikmin and do you realize how easily Pikmin die? Even in top level play of Brawl top Olimars go through their Pikmin fast. Heck when playing Olimar you will most likely try to get rid of Pikmin so you can pluck more Pikmin till you get enough of the ones you want to make a certain MU more favorable to you. The disadvantadges of 3 Pikmin outweigh the advantadges. You just go through Pikmin to fast for 3 to be viable at all. I mean really with 6 Pikmin it's rare to not go through at least half of the line of Pikmin in the first 30 seconds. Limiting him to 3 Pikmin would end up nerfing him to much. And instead of nerfing a character who doesn't deserve it why not buf characters that really need buffs? >_>

And ofc just because they show 3 Pikmin in the screens doesn't mean that is what h is limited to. 3 is the default number. .-.

I would prefer to balance the HP values of the individual Pikmin so they don't die as easily then have Olimar rely on more than 3 or 4. It takes too long to swap between Pikmin order for you to realistically take advantage of the individual pros and cons each color of Pikmin offer unless you can swap conveniently. Which you can't because of the numbers.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I would prefer to balance the HP values of the individual Pikmin so they don't die as easily then have Olimar rely on more than 3 or 4. It takes too long to swap between Pikmin order for you to realistically take advantage of the individual pros and cons each color of Pikmin offer unless you can swap conveniently. Which you can't because of the numbers.
Except Pikmin die easily in the games they are in, plus throwing them over the ledge happens allot to wethere by accedint or on purpose. I can assure you that when it comes to Olimar you don't want to have multiple colors which is why you see many top level Olimars throw them over ledges to get rid of them and they are able to organize them due to the set pattern that the whistle makes them go along with being able to use the whistle rather quickly. However give Olimar only 3 Pikmin and you make all of this moot and un-reliable in the long term. The 6 Pikmin is in all honesty a nessicity and bringing it down to 3 is jsut a slap in the face and a major nerf to Olimar.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It's more so that top and high level players just don't want certain Pikmin. Could be based on their percentages, the opponent's percentages, the matchup, or just because they don't like using that specific color. Most top and high level players don't have many problems organizing and keeping track of their lineup.

nessokman

Smash Lord
luigi will be revealed at the end of this year to conclude the year of luigi

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It's more so that top and high level players just don't want certain Pikmin. Could be based on their percentages, the opponent's percentages, the matchup, or just because they don't like using that specific color. Most top and high level players don't have many problems organizing and keeping track of their lineup.
Heck I'm bottom player and usually do fine with the orginization of Pikmin. X_X

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
To celebrate Pikmin 3, Olimar will only be allowed 3 Pikmin. That is the way.

Tesh

Smash Hero
i think the HD white pikmin is just more reflective on his surroundings

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Kinda funny when you think back about Olimar's reveal for Brawl and how it had been such a long time since the last character reveal when he was announced - I remember people losing their minds over how the "character drought" had ended - and now he's the first returning veteran shown after the initial trailer.

Well, I'm glad he's back. Didn't expect him to be cut, but character reveals are always fun all the same.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I'm happy that Olimar's back, but not really surprised. He wasn't going anywhere.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
An expected addition. A bit surprised he was the next veteran confirmed however. I expected someone like Yoshi or Zelda...really hoping that they get a much needed revamp.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Hmmm i just noticed this Pikmin looks a tad bit green compared to the Brawl Pikmin.

Smash 4^.

Brawl^.

Either way im happy there back.:)
The transition of the pikmin from brawl to here looks like a HUGE jump in quality, Olimar less so but still noticeable :D

Top Bottom