• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Does the 3DS hold you back?

JS.

Smash Cadet
NNID
JulianJJS
3DS FC
2337-5516-6874
I've been playing the Wii U and 3DS version of Smash for the past maybe 5 months and I've noticed that whenever I play for glory on Wii U I usually feel more " free " than what I feel when I play 3DS. Does the 3DS hold you back from playing like you should?

Antunee

Dinkey King
NNID
Andami
Of course it does. There are limitations when using a 3DS console. The biggest issue is functionality. The button, joysticks, and layout/shape of a GameCube and Pro controller are just much more suited to this type of game. Another important variable is clarity. Playing on a bigger screen makes movements more clear and reduces eye strain.

That being said, switching from one system to another isn't going to radically improve or reduce your skill level, but the effects are noticeable.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I don't have a Wii U yet, but one of the reason why I don't like 3DS version is because of it's controls. Sometimes whenever I mess up I often blame for it's controls. I have to be careful, not like with GC controller you can smash the button as hard as you want.
However, I may not have that much time to play Wii U version that often, so perhaps I will still play 3DS version for most of the time during my school days.

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743
The only thing I can do with smash attacks on my 3DS is Up-smash with the C-stick. All the other smashes are too slow, since the stick is so stiff.
And even now, my c-stick is starting to peel from under.

Smash attacking on 3DS is so unreliable that I can rack up damage super easily, but never kill. I've gotten people up to 200% before being able to kill.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The only thing I can do with smash attacks on my 3DS is Up-smash with the C-stick. All the other smashes are too slow, since the stick is so stiff.
And even now, my c-stick is starting to peel from under.

Smash attacking on 3DS is so unreliable that I can rack up damage super easily, but never kill. I've gotten people up to 200% before being able to kill.
So am I. I nearly never use the C stick on my New 3DS.

That happens to me too. But I think that just means you have to work harder on your punishes. Some smashers are just somewhat lucky to avoid KO.

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743
So am I. I nearly never use the C stick on my New 3DS.

That happens to me too. But I think that just means you have to work harder on your punishes. Some smashers are just somewhat lucky to avoid KO.
I don't have a problem killing on Wii U.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I don't have a problem killing on Wii U.
Maybe it's because of the small screen on the 3DS, it will give you trouble of seeing characters clearly, get the sweet spot, and you may even don't know where are you facing.

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743
Maybe it's because of the small screen on the 3DS, it will give you trouble of seeing characters clearly, get the sweet spot, and you may even don't know where are you facing.
Are you just ignoring what I said?
I clearly said that I have trouble smash attacking properly on 3DS. Nothing about screens.

TriTails

Smash Lord
On regular 3DS XL? Kinda.

I wanted to do an F-smash. I get an F-tilt.
I wanted to do a running Fireball. I get a uncharged Green Missile.
I wanted to do HooHahNado. I get Green Missile and getting ****ed up because of it.
I get a read. I throw out different moves thus getting punished.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Trying to maintain the Circle Pad's longevity can be troubling, since Smash 3DS does not let you use the directional pad to move your fighter around.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Are you just ignoring what I said?
I clearly said that I have trouble smash attacking properly on 3DS. Nothing about screens.
Whoa! No offensive! Sorry!
I also have problems with Smash attacks too. But contrary I often have problem of doing tilt attacks. Sorry I did not mention about that, and hey, small resolution screen does matter to me, I sometimes really can't tell where am I facing.

TriTails

Smash Lord
It's still better than having a wobbly stick though.
I wouldn't say so to Ness/Lucas mains though. Guiding PKT will be harder.

It will also be harder to fast-fall I imagine. Or just doing things. Because D-Pad feels more stuck in place than the Circle Pad and makes you use more power, which leads to earlier tired thumb.

Personally, I prefer the Circle Pad all that over D-Pad. It's just me though.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
When I play it during free-for-alls with items on and whatever, definitely not. However, when I play For Glory 1-on-1's, it does tend to throw me off my game, especially with the controls, so I'm doing my very best trying not to **** up the circle pad cuz I can't afford to buy another New 3DS XL.

I do feel more comfortable playing Smash on a home console just like the old days but that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop playing the 3DS version because it's still very fun in its own way and I like it.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wouldn't say so to Ness/Lucas mains though. Guiding PKT will be harder.

It will also be harder to fast-fall I imagine. Or just doing things. Because D-Pad feels more stuck in place than the Circle Pad and makes you use more power, which leads to earlier tired thumb.

Personally, I prefer the Circle Pad all that over D-Pad. It's just me though.
Tap twice left or right to dash; tap twice down to fast-fall; tap twice and hit the attack button to perform a smash attack. Of course, the main downside with the directional pad is that you'd only really be limited to 8 directions when using moves like Fire Fox, Quick Attack, and Launch Star.

Still, that never stopped me from using the directional pad to play Mario Kart 8.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It holds me back a great deal.
Not only was it hard getting used to no C-Stick, but everyone around me has been breaking their joysticks, so I HAVE to play extremely careful.

I swear, even though my 2DS has gotten extremely comfortable to play in, in the back of my mind I'm still like:

So yeah, when I play, I play fearing for the life of my handheld... :( Especially when against other people which is when my hands get most tense.
And yeah, my joystick almost fell off during my last online match, so I'm done with that.

Last edited:

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
It does hold you back. A controller is much better ergonomically speaking than a 3DS. Specially if it's the GC controller.

Plus a big amount of techniques are just harder on 3DS when on Wii U they are way easier to execute.

D

Deleted member

I feel that the joystick is the only part of the New 3DS XL. You need to be careful with it or else you'll damage or break it. This stops you from doing things like foxtrots, since you'll need to be a bit fast and rough on the the joystick.

If you have a regular 3DS then the tiny screen and lack of c-stick can be a nuisance.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Lately I have been finding my OG 3DS to be feeling too small for my hands. Not sure if that's because I'm legitimately a lot more intensive and precise now after playing the two Smash games so much now, or if my hands legitimately got a bit bigger.

I should be upgrading to the New 3DS XL fairly soon, though.

Scarlet Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RageMachine7.5
3DS FC
1375-7206-7615
I never had problems when playing both versions...
guess that means I adapt to different controls faster than the average person...

the only thing that's different for me is the grab button

Soul.

No. lol

I play fine on my 3DS. If I have problems with the buttons I'd most likely have them on Wii U too, since they are similar in almost every way. The only thing I mess up is using Side B instead of Up B when recovering. I might get a New 3DS sooner or later; who knows.

Perhaps if the 3DS had a better replacement for the Circle Pad, these "problems" would be solved. In the end, I'm just glad we got a handheld Smash; one that works. If there ever is another handheld Smash, I hope the next handheld gets a better analog stick and better buttons.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
Aside from a unintended ftilt or 2 and missing cstick smashing, Nah.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
I don't have a Wii U yet, but one of the reason why I don't like 3DS version is because of it's controls. Sometimes whenever I mess up I often blame for it's controls. I have to be careful, not like with GC controller you can smash the button as hard as you want.
However, I may not have that much time to play Wii U version that often, so perhaps I will still play 3DS version for most of the time during my school days.
I think the 3DS controls work pretty good.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
It holds me back quite a bit. I can't be rough with my 3DS like I can be rough with a Gamecube controller.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It holds me back quite a bit. I can't be rough with my 3DS like I can be rough with a Gamecube controller.
Exactly, especially 3DS' circle pad, you can'r roughly flick it around like the GC controller's control stick.

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
Eh, the circle pad on my 3DS XL holds up pretty well.

But yeah, to some extent playing on a 3DS does hold you back because you become more prone to stupid errors that can potentially cost you the game, such as accidentally performing a side-b instead of an up-b to recover.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I think of myself as kind of a high level player and only own 3ds, the only thing that ****s me over a lot is my character turning around accidentaly ugh. I do feel like I play bette on WiiU

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
I believe it does, it just feels different from a regular controller. That and I'm afraid I'll break the circle pad at times.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The only thing that holds me back is the fear of breaking the 3DS. The controls are 100% fine and most of the time I still prefer playing on 3DS over Wii U.

Ramz289

Smash Journeyman
The only problem I have with the 3DS is the joystick tbh.
My brother's was busted week one of 3DS release because we (mostly me [don't tell him that]) were being unnecessarily rough on it.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
The lack of a c-stick ****s with my abbility to perform smash attacks and aerials. Also the circle pad itsef feels kind of stiff and awkward at times also i feel like KOs are super hard to get in the 3Ds version. So yeah te 3Ds version holds me back that is why i never play it i just own it LOL

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I really never used the c-stick, so I never had an issue--I'm big on using inputs, so the 3DS feels good to me!

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
True, the GC controller is really damn good for Smash.
Haven't use it for Smash like a long time.
Have been using 3DS like a very very long time. One of my brother says that he's gonna switch to his control to 3DS even though we finally got the Wii U recently.
It's gonna take me more time to get my GC control feel back.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
Haven't use it for Smash like a long time.
Have been using 3DS like a very very long time. One of my brother says that he's gonna switch to his control to 3DS even though we finally got the Wii U recently.
It's gonna take me more time to get my GC control feel back.
Do the change. It's really good.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I mostly use the 3DS version when I need practice on the go, or if I'm at school. I don't do as well on 3DS as I do on Wii U, but that's likely because the options on 3DS aren't as expansive as they are on Wii U, and the Circle Pad isn't as tight as a controller. Still a great version, but I'd take Wii U over 3DS if I were given the choice.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Not for me. I don't own a wii u and I won't want one for a while. but if I play smash, wii u or not, My 3ds will be my only choice. I have grown fond of it over the GC controller suprisingly

Top Bottom