• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Rosalina have a meteor smash?

Absolute Zero

Smash Cadet
NNID
xXAbsoluteZeroXx
Hi I just wanted to know if she can spike, I have been successful in spikeing with all of my mains except for her, so I was curious if she is even capable, thanks!

Zero_Gravity

Smash Rookie
I want to say her dair is a meteor smash. But spiking, and meteor smashing are two different things....

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I feel like her down air has one but I have no idea where the hitbox for the spike is.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
D-Air has a weak spike, but the sweet spot seems really specific (and hard to land on 3DS).

Was trying to find the GIF of it from her reveal trailer, but I'm struggling (and not willing to try use Google Images, because I'm in college and pr0n will probably show up).

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I want to say her dair is a meteor smash. But spiking, and meteor smashing are two different things....
Spiking and meteors are pretty much the same thing in this game since you can't cancel meteors with jump which was the only thing that made them different.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you can actually meteor cancel in Smash 4 then that's news to me. Most meteors have greatly weakened KB compared to previous Smash games for a reason.

As for the topic at hand, Rosalina's Dair is the only meteor she has. It needs to be hit with specific timing, as there are 4 different damage hitboxes that change and do less damage as the frames go on. Only one of these actually meteors. The others all knock sideways.

8 - knocks sideways
7 - meteors (weakly)
6 - knocks sideways
2 - knocks sideways

If you want to get a feel for the timing, use Rosalina against WFT in Training mode. Full jump, then right as you begin to descend, input Dair (no fast fall). You should get the 7 damage hitbox that meteors each time. Now get used to that timing against air targets and have fun gimping.

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

Smash Cadet
NNID
xXAbsoluteZeroXx
If you can actually meteor cancel in Smash 4 then that's news to me. Most meteors have greatly weakened KB compared to previous Smash games for a reason.

As for the topic at hand, Rosalina's Dair is the only meteor she has. It needs to be hit with specific timing, as there are 4 different damage hitboxes that change and do less damage as the frames go on. Only one of these actually meteors. The others all knock sideways.

8 - knocks sideways
7 - meteors (weakly)
6 - knocks sideways
2 - knocks sideways

If you want to get a feel for the timing, use Rosalina against WFT in Training mode. Full jump, then right as you begin to descend, input Dair (no fast fall). You should get the 7 damage hitbox that meteors each time. Now get used to that timing against air targets and have fun gimping.
Thank you I will try this out

Thanks for the replies everyone, I am going to keep trying to get the timing down, hopefully I can get it and become effective with it!

D-Air has a weak spike, but the sweet spot seems really specific (and hard to land on 3DS).

Was trying to find the GIF of it from her reveal trailer, but I'm struggling (and not willing to try use Google Images, because I'm in college and pr0n will probably show up).
Ok, thank you I will keep trying to land it correctly

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Right, so I just tested it on Pac-Man in Training Mode. I'm able to consistently get it if I do it on him while he's standing still, and I start the move just as Rosalina starts falling downwards after her full jump.

And I just now went to a Smash and saved a replay of me landing the spike, and then went back to take a screenshot in the replay. So here's a screenshot of where Rosalina and the ring should be in relation to your opponent, if you want to land the spike.

While Pac-Man is on the ground here, I know it was a spike since it did 7% damage (and it was the first hit of the match so it's not like I even had to do any math for it).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Meteor cancelling is apparently impossible this time around, so it's hard to tell the difference between Spikes and Meteor Smashes now. To know for certain if the down aerial's second hitbox is a Meteor Smash, equip Rosalina with Meteor Master equipment; it'll power up any attack that has Meteor Smash properties.

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
It makes sense to me now that the different effects for Rosalina's Dair occur at different frames. It's worth noting that the VERY start of her Dair has HUGE side knockback (It's like a home run bat some times, I've knocked characters off the screen at 50% with it while they're trying to get back on the stage.)

After the initial one, then the spike frame hits which causes a surprising amount of stun. It doesn't knock them far but it takes awhile for them to get control of their character again. (I've had times where i hit them with this while they're on the ground and it'll somersault them in place and let me pull off a Fsmash before they finish getting up.)

the last frames of the hit just turn into little glancing blows. They wont do much, but it's enough to scare people sometimes so they'll shield.

But clearly the closer you are when it comes out, the better.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The gist is that you should use the spike against characters with poor vertical recovery, and use the first possible hit (the really strong one) to knock people off the side when they are near enough to the side with a decent amount of percent on them (50%-70% should be enough for a lot of characters).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If the second hitbox is a Spike, shouldn't the target travel downwards in a diagonal angle? From what I've seen from the down aerial's second hitbox, the target travels straight down, which is how Meteor Smashes tend to to work.

But I guess some people have the habit of calling Meteor Smashes Spikes, when there are clearly differences between the two.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Others have already identified the meteor hitbox on dair, but I want to remind everyone that the distinction between meteors and spikes was merely whether or not they could be meteor cancelled. (No points for guessing which.) Whether a move could be meteor cancelled was purely a function of the angle it sent you downward at. Now that meteor cancelling has been removed, there's no difference between the two.

</tangent>

Percentful

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5026-4947-0924
I feel like it should be pointed out that if Luma hits, it won't be a spike. It has to be only Rosalina's hitbox.
(Although it's a srtong sideways hit from Luma, which is very useful on opponents recovering low.)

D

Deleted member 269706

I was playing a For Glory match last night as Rosi, and at one point I did spike/meteor smash someone. I know I was using dair at the time, but I can't remember if Luma was paired with Rosi or not. But to answer your question, yes, she does have one, it just has to be preformed in a very specific manor.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
I've pulled off several spike KOs with Rosalina's Dair in For Glory. It's tricky to pull off, and it's much more useful against characters who lack a great recovery (since it's not a super powerful spike, so unless they're already at a high % it's better for pushing them down, rather than completely knocking them out)... but if your opponent is trying to recover to the stage from directly under it, don't be afraid to go for the spike. As has been pointed out, it's at the bottom part of her Dair. The best thing about it is that the risk is minimal - the range on her Dair is quite long, so you don't need to put yourself in harm's way, and even if you miss it's not much of a problem because of Rosalina's superior aerial mobility.

Last edited:

otter

Smash Ace
The gist is that you should use the spike against characters with poor vertical recovery, and use the first possible hit (the really strong one) to knock people off the side when they are near enough to the side with a decent amount of percent on them (50%-70% should be enough for a lot of characters).
Unfortunately, this kind of negates the whole point of the move. It's basically a melee Roy attack.

MG_Music

Smash Cadet
NNID
xMGMusicx
Rosalina and luma both have spikes Repsectively

Lumas is easier to hit
Rosalinas has a smaller sweet spot
and i think one is a spike and one is a meteor
i can never tell the two apart lol

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709

Here is a video I posted on this board several days ago against a Captain Falcon in For Glory.

I pulled off a sweet spike on his first stock iirc. The trick is to aim it so Luma doesn't hit because Luma hits him out of your spike. Either position yourself correctly, or do it without Luma at your side.

It's kinda tricky to pull off, so I usually just go for the kill with Luma's D-air or B-air them off the stage instead.

Absolute Zero

Smash Cadet
NNID
xXAbsoluteZeroXx

Here is a video I posted on this board several days ago against a Captain Falcon in For Glory.

I pulled off a sweet spike on his first stock iirc. The trick is to aim it so Luma doesn't hit because Luma hits him out of your spike. Either position yourself correctly, or do it without Luma at your side.

It's kinda tricky to pull off, so I usually just go for the kill with Luma's D-air or B-air them off the stage instead.
I see thank you

ooglefart

Smash Rookie
Lumas Dair looks like it would spike, but I haven't ever had the dexterity to hit it in the right spot while edgeguarding.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Lumas Dair looks like it would spike, but I haven't ever had the dexterity to hit it in the right spot while edgeguarding.
From what I've seen from my training is that Luma can't spike with D-Air. From the beginning of the game, I though you could, so I would always nail a Luma Shot D-Air to edgeguard opponents. Sadly it only knocks them forward so I figured out that he is the reason I mess up Rosalina's spike, because it's her spike that messes up when he hits people forward and I thought it's the other way around.

I still like Luma's D-Air though. It's a really good kill move in the air and he covers the distance in front of you so he makes the move a lot more safe to approach with.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
Looks like it's the actually the rings that spike, not the middle like I kept trying to hit, it's also in the middle of the animation instead of the beginning like a lot of other spikes.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Looks like it's the actually the rings that spike, not the middle like I kept trying to hit, it's also in the middle of the animation instead of the beginning like a lot of other spikes.
The down aerial actually has four different hitboxes. You have to hit with the second hitbox to get the meteor smash effect.

Top Bottom