• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Project M work on a Wii U?

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
I'm tossing around the idea of purchasing a Wii U, as I do not have a Wii of my own. I don't know much about the hardware on the WiiU, but it appears to have an SD card slot and I just wondered if anyone had attempted to run Project M on one.

Does it still work?

I freely acknowledge that there's irony in the fact that I'm choosing whether or not to buy a Wii U based on whether or not it will play an old Wii game hacked in order to play more like an even older Gamecube game. :)

EDIT:
Although, in retrospect, I guess you couldn't use a Gamecube controller, so I guess that pretty much burns down that idea.

Oh well, still, a valid question for some newer players who may actually be inclined to use that freaky Wii U Pro Controller or have otherwise embraced different control methods instead of being proudly stuck in the early 2000s with us old, stodgy Cubists who can't let go of a good thing.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
The "hackless" version works perfectly fine on a Wii U.
Adapters to use a PS1/PS2 controller as a Classic Controller are available for under 10 bucks. There aren't mass-produced adapters for other controllers yet, but there probably will be soon.

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
I load the game through homebrew on my Wii U with no flaws. I also use CCP and I've gotten used to it so yeah it works.

Kempatsu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kempatsu
3DS FC
2251-4505-3091
:)

Well, I hope you bought a Wii U. The GC controller adapter solves your controller concerns. I have not tried Project M on the Wii U however. Did the hackless method work well?

Last edited:

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
:)

Well, I hope you bought a Wii U. The GC controller adapter solves your controller concerns. I have not tried Project M on the Wii U however. Did the hackless method work well?
It works like it's meant to. People who have problems are doing it wrong; no offense.

Kempatsu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kempatsu
3DS FC
2251-4505-3091
It works like it's meant to. People who have problems are doing it wrong; no offense.
So I tried it on the Wii U and it worked! All we need now is that damn GC adapter. I simply moved my memory card from the Wii to the Wii U. I did notice that my custom music selection didn't carry over though.

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
So I tried it on the Wii U and it worked! All we need now is that damn GC adapter. I simply moved my memory card from the Wii to the Wii U. I did notice that my custom music selection didn't carry over though.
It should carry over, unless you downloaded a new copy of the hack.

GOLDENMOP

Smash Cadet
I have a question of my own, if I play project M on my wii u, will I be able to play on an HDTV with no input lag?

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
If I recall, PM works perfectly on the Wii-U, but you have to put in the SD card after the Wii U is set to Wii mode, and take out the SD card when you're done playing. Otherwise, one of the important files for PM might be overwritten. Take that info with a grain of salt, though.

Top Bottom