• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does playing music help you play better?

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
I just want peoples thoughts on this. When I went to SMYM I saw a few people listenin to music when they play like Eddie for one. But when I have my headphones on listenin to my music I definitely feel like I play a hella lot better than how I normally perform. So I will definitely take my ipod to tournaments and zone everyone out while the match is in session lol =P.

saran81kid91

Smash Rookie
Yea, music gives you an edge usually. But it depends on the type of music, I doubt that you'll play better if you listen to classical. But Rap, Rock and the up beat genres should make you play better. :)

Tera253

Smash Ace
nah, music decreases performance; Tera could make a tier list on how performance decreases, but that'd take too long. now, drinking caffiene incrases performance, particularly with Link. that says something, 'cause Tera sucks at Link.
~Tera253~

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Yea, music gives you an edge usually. But it depends on the type of music, I doubt that you'll play better if you listen to classical. But Rap, Rock and the up beat genres should make you play better. :)
Well if classical is the kind of music you're into and enjoy listening to, I don't see why it wouldn't help. Me, I can listen to almost anything so that means I never skip a song when I have it on shuffle unless there's a specific song I want to listen to. But even my laid back tracks puts me in a groove that just channels my energy, therefore, makin me do my activities better.

.22%

Smash Apprentice
i feel ya. i totally feel the difference with music, a fast paced song anyway. but i would rather have music come from a speakers instead of headphones because i can still hear the game and people complain when i take a life from them. but headphones work to.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Haha well, I'd rather tone people out. That way I'm listenin to the music and I'm not complaining like a little ***** and the person next to me isn't complainin about how bad I'm ownin them(like that ever happens -_-) like my friend that I play with, all he does is whine about all my shine spikes and other things I do to him in that game lol.

.22%

Smash Apprentice
i love hearing them complain because in short they're saying i am the king, no matter how it comes out.

edit: pluse they can talk about you behind your back if u have head phones

MuBa

Smash Lord
It really depends on the character I play when it comes to listening to music. Since I am a HUGE Dragonforce fan I like to play fast-paced characters that goes along with the beat.

Now I need to find a good song for my doc....only thing that really comes to mind is the witch Doctor song itself :/

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
I listen to music so that I get pissed off at my enemies when they hit me, inevitably, wanting me to have vengeance...
... and then I'd think about this: how would Amy Lee look down upon me in shame if I lost!?
Hahah.

~rh

Smash Lord
It really depends on the character I play when it comes to listening to music. Since I am a HUGE Dragonforce fan I like to play fast-paced characters that goes along with the beat.

Now I need to find a good song for my doc....only thing that really comes to mind is the witch Doctor song itself :/
Operation Ground and Pound w/ Marth = amazing play [for me].

freddy 22

Smash Rookie
When I listen to my music which is hardcore, I feel pumped and ready to kick some ***. So yes defiently music gives you an edge.

Raging_Missiles

Smash Journeyman
Personally I enjoy listening to music while i play but the only time i notice that it works to my disadvantage is when the situation requires me to play conservatively and carefully

Personaly when i listen to rock or rap i get encouraged to do risky moves wit my samus like spiking

The Dude

Smash Apprentice
actually I think that music decreases your performance. People like CJ don't play with earplugs for no reason. So I think it's like: The less you hear the better your concentration.

chlor0form

Smash Journeyman
It depends really on the person. Listening to music makes me have an edge, if I'm listening to songs I like. If it's something like classical or country, it either wouldn't make a difference or I'd play worse.

Aero Tempest

Smash Rookie
Well, if I'm listening to more laid back music or softer music, i guess I would play more calmly and maybe not make stupid mistakes, however, i will tend to be less aggressive.

the opposite goes for if i'm listening to something like rock

so so pick ur songs based on ur opponent i guess, or put ur ipod on shuffle to keep surprising the opponents, hehe

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord

Dude, I think I love you!
Doc is my main also. :D
And DragonForce is the BEST metal band ever!
DragonForce is ownage.
I'm a HUGE DragonForce fan. XD

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'd have to say music could affect you two ways. By listening to music you would probably be more instinctive and have better techs. However, I think it might take your mind out of the game and if you instinctively act predictable, you'll get punished because you aren't concentrating with your conscience, just your subconscience. That's what it feels like for me at least.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
True, I listen to sex sounds on my MP3 player to fully implement kinkiness into my game.

But anyway, music makes you lose concentration of the game which is not good for mindgames, son .

Kada

Smash Journeyman
I can see music helping some people play better, but also hampering others. Since, some of us have the ability to listen to music, but leave it in the back of our minds, kind of subconciously. For example, in class, I can have my headphones on, but still keep my focus on the teacher, some people can't do that. I think that music could be a huge advantage for people who can still pay attention while they play, but people who can't seem to focus when they listen to music shouldn't bother with it.

I must say, I'm going to try this. I LOVE the idea of listening to Megadeth whilst playing my Falco, or The Black Mages with my Marth, Gannondorf, Mewtwo or Bowser. Maybe throw in some Van Halen for good measure, that might just really help me <_<.

Shinki

Smash Cadet
I dun like listening to music while playing or doing anything that takes some thought actually (like reading). It just distracts me and I can't enjoy the music OR the game so it's not a good thing for me. The ingame BGM is good enough for me.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Music helps me focus, especially particularily inspiring music. Granted I do best in chaos.

And Dragonforce has never helped me w/ smash. Rhapsody of Fire does a good job though.

pdk

Smash Lord
final destination's music is so mindnumbingly repetitive, even polka can help when you're playing there

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
A lot of different views. I could see music throwin off your mindgames when you need to play careful and what not. But with me though, it seems like I just overwhelm my opponent when that happens plus the little mindgames you still have so you won't make really stupid mistakes plus you still have common sense so you know not to jump into certain things and whatnot.

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
You take a point on this seriously I think music help to concentrate and such or in like a..crewbattle this should help if you have stress and you dont like to have many people laugh or sream near you.My opinion is music can help in EVRYTHING and listening to music while playing fox give me such a tecnikal timing and awsome speedy-flashy fox I love that :0

fluffy

Smash Champion
i remember a thread just like this....

i listen to heavy metal/screamo/and hxc stuff. fear before the march of flames, the chariot, we came with broken teeth, norma jean gg.

Atmuh

Smash Cadet
maybe I'll give this a try
I'd imagine of all the stuff I listen to only some of the harder stuff by protricity would really fit.

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
Music can simply help your mind relax. When you are relaxed, your chance of screwing up technically is decreased since you are less tense. I imagine that you also aren’t quite as prone to start panicking in certain situations. However, being too relaxed might take away that “on your toes” edge you may need. So if you tend to get too nervous during matches, music could possibly help you.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
190-200 bpm

:teeth: I tend to listen to my own music when playing at home. Of coarse certain kinds of music will help out more. Sometimes I use music to get used to new techincal stuff. I got the idea from another smasher I really respect who told me a certain beat that would help me learn a certain tactic, since you press the button at that tempo and it helped alot to listen to the beat in music while doing it.. I have tried to use it with other techiques as well, and it has helped out a little. So... music can be helpful indeed.

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
I think when you listen to music during a match with a fast beat, it makes your reflexes more on key and all around better. But from personal experiance, if someone begins to but a beating on you, the music throws you off and keeps you from thinking on your feet, and ends up leading to a death that could have been evoided.

All in all, good for reflexes, bad for defences. =]

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
I can see someone putting a beating on someone that has their music playin. But for me, everything gets better meaning I play a bit smarter besides my tech skill improving. It's different for everyone though.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
i remember being at a n00b tourney in one of the dorms here and them playing music. the host was an RA playing music and i played first round. i was like "dude i can't play with the tv on mute and the music loud." he didnt think i was serious but i got him to turn it off. so his idea of music during smash lasted one sec lol. anyways the point is i cant stand music directly in my ears with no sound from the tv or my controller. sometimes i need to hear certain things. probably all in my head. but i listen to my ipod definetly before my match.

Samael_78

Smash Journeyman
i dont play music often during a match but i will sometimes. i listen to a lot of hard rock so sometimes listening to a song helps me pick times to go on offense. its really weird but i swear it actually worked in my favor

Top Bottom