• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Mewtwo even doubles?

J2_

Smash Cadet
Our region's monthly is coming up and I'm pairing with a Captain Falcon player for doubles. Other than getting codephrases down for strats, what can Mewtwo do to ensure our success?

inb4 don't play Mewtwo

DERPFISHsaysNO

Smash Cadet
I'm not a huge advocate of Mewtwo in Doubles. For him to succeed, his partner needs to cover his landing well, as we are kind of a massive air balloon target in Doubles. Mewtwo's strong offstage game and decent projectile can be handy in Doubles, though. The CF player really needs to work with you to keep you alive and able to output damage. Your job is to stay alive, edgeguard hard, and assist in killing. (Not that CF needs the help.)

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to get one of my old melee buddies into sm4sh and encouraging him to brush up on his Falcon for some doubles. We used to have great success with setups for FThrow, where I would grab one, and he would attempt to launch the other up into the SB spray with him jumping up to follow with some UAirs or maybe a knee. I reckon I can give him some cover from projectiles with confusion now too...

Mewtwo is also good for sudden shieldbreaking, if you have your partner take their shield down some of the way, that FCSB you have stored is worth firing > Falcon Punch

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Well if Mewtwo plays the ledge game and let's say ZSS plays the ground game then Mewtwo will be that big support on getting kills off the ledge but as Mr. B Mr. B said if a character like Ganon weakens the shield then m2 can break it with SB.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
mewtwo's doubles play is a lot like samus, in my experience. support from mid range with projectiles (especially if your partner is a villager or ness/lucas, g&w, etc) and interrupting things with disable and confusion (as opposed to zair in samus' case)

mewtwo, unlike samus, likely will not be your stock tank however

franniested

Smash Rookie
My static doubles partner is a captain falcon also actually. I have the issue that he is a lower-skilled player in general, and feels like he has to run in constantly and he ends up getting double teamed if I charge a shadow ball. Anyone have advice for me or him specifically on how we can work out a strategy so that I can charge shadow balls without leaving him to get comboed?

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
My static doubles partner is a captain falcon also actually. I have the issue that he is a lower-skilled player in general, and feels like he has to run in constantly and he ends up getting double teamed if I charge a shadow ball. Anyone have advice for me or him specifically on how we can work out a strategy so that I can charge shadow balls without leaving him to get comboed?
Simple codeword calling can help. For low skilled players you could start with a simple "Come To me" for when you need them to head back to you, but be aware that they may call back "Can't! Help!" and you will have to abort your charging to run in and help (flying through the air with NAir!). Beyond that, things start to get situational, but generally partner coordination boils down to "Come To Me", "Scatter", "Tennis" (for when you are about to knock opponent back toward your partner for juggles), "Double team" (for when you need your partner attacking your opponent) and "Distract" (for when you need your partner to attack the opponent that you aren't).

Your low skilled buddy might be having a hard enough time managing his own play to process such commands though, so start small. Make him aware that you are doing the calling and that all he has to do is say yes or no. If its a no, then its up to you to figure out what to do about that.

Top Bottom