• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does free will exist?

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
The reason is psychological, because everything we do is psychological. lol

The main reason determinism is justified, is because most of our understanding of the universe supports that theory. Therefor to believe in "free-will" would be to believe something without any evidence. The only "evidence" I have ever heard about for free-will is just bogus claims about "randomness". Since nothing can be proven "random", I therefor side with determinism.

Not because of some petty psychological reason, but because of logic.
Why do I even bother...

I have already clarified the flimsiness of justifying determinism, repeating faulty arguments does not make them stronger.

Psychological attachment is quite different from rational acceptance, you should probably think carefully before making ignorant one-sided posts.

Last edited:

Zale

Lover of Kittenz and Mittenz
Why do I even bother...

I have already clarified the flimsiness of justifying determinism, repeating faulty arguments does not make them stronger.

Psychological attachment is quite different from rational acceptance, you should probably think carefully before making ignorant one-sided posts.
You have clarified nothing. Especially the "flimsiness" of determinism.

My posts are "one-sided"? GOOD... ITS A DEBATE/ARGUMENT.
And calling my posts "ignorant" is pretty much the opposite of what I was going for.

Apologies for the misunderstanding. :)

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
There's not much to free will besides accepting the significance of personal choices in the outcome of one's life. It has nothing to do with mysticism, although it is commonly associated with religion (despite religion being deterministic in it's inclusion of an omniscient being).

As I've mentioned before, the "atoms are deterministic" justification for determinism is not solid enough to outright dismiss free will because consciousness already demonstrates that life can possess properties which individual building blocks lack.
You underestimate our building blocks, we don't possess properties they lack, the properties they possess can be ultimately used when the variety of atoms we possess interact with each other in an extremely complex way. Consciousness and our ability to think so deeply is the result of those complex interactions. If there is a deeper consciousness then what we experience, we wouldn't even be able to imagine it for the sole reason our minds lack the processing ability to do so, which is the reason we aren't able to imagine/understand any other color than the combination of 3 colors (red/blue/green) when there is obviously many more colors that exist.

I don't think you're completely wrong, Free Will could be a real thing, there might be more to our consciousness than a long and complex chemical reaction. But there's no reason to believe in something that is less likely to be true based on evidence.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
The question @ FlusteredBat FlusteredBat is addressing doesn't concern the empirical validity of determinism (in whatever form). We currently lack the tools/means to verify whether our own experience is in fact (pre)determined, and without those tools, that topic doesn't lend itself to productive discourse (however plausible the science of determinism seems to be).

The only fruitful discussion left to us is the philosophical/ethical angle. Our experiences may be manufactured in part or in whole, but it remains that in that system, we have the experience of choice, and these choices do indeed affect and impact ourselves and others. Learning whether the universe is actually determined is only of interest to us inasmuch as that discovery might help inform out actions and attitudes about the choices we make.

Seems the contention in play is that you can assert that the universe is deterministic -- so long as you don't use determination as justification for any given action (e.g."I had no choice in murdering this person", "My murder of this person was inevitable and beyond any of our control", etc.).

I don't think most people here would embrace that view, though, since I doubt anyone here would deny that we have the experience of choice -- and that anyone here has such insidious intents that they would find using the Appeal to Determination as worthwhile. But it is worth thinking about how determinism might inform things like agency, moral responsibility, and other ethical concerns. The science of it all is, while interesting in its own right, not the real crux of the issue.

Octavium

The question @ FlusteredBat FlusteredBat is addressing doesn't concern the empirical validity of determinism (in whatever form). We currently lack the tools/means to verify whether our own experience is in fact (pre)determined, and without those tools, that topic doesn't lend itself to productive discourse (however plausible the science of determinism seems to be).

The only fruitful discussion left to us is the philosophical/ethical angle. Our experiences may be manufactured in part or in whole, but it remains that in that system, we have the experience of choice, and these choices do indeed affect and impact ourselves and others. Learning whether the universe is actually determined is only of interest to us inasmuch as that discovery might help inform out actions and attitudes about the choices we make.

Seems the contention in play is that you can assert that the universe is deterministic -- so long as you don't use determination as justification for any given action (e.g."I had no choice in murdering this person", "My murder of this person was inevitable and beyond any of our control", etc.).

I don't think most people here would embrace that view, though, since I doubt anyone here would deny that we have the experience of choice -- and that anyone here has such insidious intents that they would find using the Appeal to Determination as worthwhile. But it is worth thinking about how determinism might inform things like agency, moral responsibility, and other ethical concerns. The science of it all is, while interesting in its own right, not the real crux of the issue.
It seems much healthier from a psychological standpoint to believe in free will, believing in it or not doesn't affect our outcome as we already experience free will (although it is likely a false experience), I suppose you could call it useless but interesting information.

@ FlusteredBat FlusteredBat 's beliefs aren't falsifiable, as you said we simply lack the means to verify whether or not free will exist so there's no definite way to tell for sure. However, because of facts concerning how everything in the observable universe is predetermined (energy & matter) it is MUCH more likely that free will is illusive, we only have hope that it isn't. Believing in what is most likely to be true makes for a generally wiser individual.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
However, because of facts concerning how everything in the observable universe is predetermined (energy & matter) it is MUCH more likely that free will is illusive.
The vast majority of matter in the universe is inanimate, that does not invalidate the existence of life. Perhaps you will start proposing that consciousness is an illusion too?

Last edited:

Zale

The vast majority of matter in the universe is inanimate, that does not invalidate the existence of life. Perhaps you will start proposing that consciousness is an illusion too?
I don't think that's what he was saying.

Everything is built of the quantum matter we observe, including life. He isn't trying to invalidate life, more trying to superimpose the laws of matter on life. Since life is built of it, why wouldn't the same laws apply?

Octavium

In what world or setting does what I said invalidate the existence of life? Where's the connection? Even if the vast majority of matter in universe is inanimate, does that mean the other forms of matter lack necessary properties to develop life? Hell no.

I also don't understand why you think I would say consciousness is an illusion, consciousness is none else but the awareness and perception of things by a ''person''. If you think consciousness=free will, you're pretty off-base.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
In what world or setting does what I said invalidate the existence of life? Where's the connection? Even if the vast majority of matter in universe is inanimate, does that mean the other forms of matter lack necessary properties to develop life? Hell no.

I also don't understand why you think I would say consciousness is an illusion, consciousness is none else but the awareness and perception of things by a ''person''. If you think consciousness=free will, you're pretty off-base.
You are missing the point. It is unscientific to dismiss something as intuitive as free will without reason and evidence. Humans lack the capacity to comprehend "why?" despite what we assume to be likely vs. unlikely in relation to "how?". Yes, free will represents a bizarre anomaly, but so does consciousness.

There are no preferred states under determinism, so why would you care what inevitable position other people take compared to your own predetermined perspective? Why attempt persuasion when nobody chooses the ideas they grow to accept? There is no right or wrong within a swirling mix of colliding galaxies, no reason to be happy, sad, angry or proud.

Apparently it's fine for determinists to express preferences because all they have to do is cherry-pick responsibility as illusory whenever it is most convenient! Preferences are valid in the pursuit of pleasure, but illusions in the avoidance of suffering.

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
There are no preferred states under determinism
Why attempt persuasion when nobody chooses the ideas they grow to accept?
There is no right or wrong within a swirling mix of colliding galaxies, no reason to be happy, sad, angry or proud.
I've already demonstrated on the first page how you've been making this all up, and here you are still making these claims without backing them up or defending them after you were incapable of addressing any of it.

What about assenting to the idea that preferences have to do with one's experience and body invalidates their very existence? The brain still reacts to various stimuli differently, the experience of thought still exists regardless if it's mechanical. Why do you require for an undefined, mysterious free will to acknowledge that distinctions exist in reality? If you acknowledge that they exist, but because they exist from something entirely mechanical, they therefore do not exist, within the same breath we just contradicted ourselves by acknowledging that distinctions exist because they come from something.

The phenomenon of the mind comes from the brain, which does not require this so called free will to develop and have its various processes. Our scientific understanding of the brain doesn't empty because a free will doesn't exist. In fact, you speak as if you're not even compatibalist, that all that exists in the world is free will, which is completely nonsensical and all you have to do is look at your immediate surroundings to know that their are physical limits, causes, effects and no magical wishes manifesting constantly to know that even if you're partially correct, what you've said in your quotes is still wrong (in fact it's more like a square circle to believe in 100% free will, because what would it will if it was totally free from all limitation and stimuli?). All you have to do is assent to the idea that there is even a slight degree of determining factors to where our will might go and what makes up our subconscious (without our assent), or what thought might pop up in our head next (without our selection), to completely undermine all of these quotes outright.

And still you do not understand determinism when it comes to trying to influence others. I told you why you don't take rocks to court, Flustered. You've no response STILL. Just because a person is determined to think or do something at one instance, doesn't mean when you, also determined, interact with this individual, that you might add another element to the cog that causes the first person behave differently. The reasons why we might want them to change their mind, or think what they do, doesn't change regardless of how they got where they are. I mean, this is complete common sense that things react to one another in reality. We don't go around killing one another for a plethora of reasons, but one of them is that if we do so, we'll probably end up in court, an entire room dictating the fate of the fate of our life. This perception becomes a part of the deterministic process. And just because someone can be determined to be or do something, DOESN'T mean that they cannot be determined to be or do something else later, because change exists regardless of whether or not free will exists. If I decide to cross a street one moment, but then my eyes see that a car is speeding through a red light the next, do I still keep going across the street since I was determined to just before, or am I now determined to stay put? In fact, couldn't we pose a similar argument AGAINST free will? Why try to influence anyone if they can just use their transcendent free will to maintain whatever belief and direction anyhow? It'd be like trying to drop a rock when it can just choose to float! But I don't make that argument, because this entire perception of the topic is silly.

No reason to be sad, happy, angry, or proud? Except, these feelings are physical and we don't change them at will. Unless... you can indeed make yourself feel whatever you like at command? Amazing! Teach us how, you'd totally revolutionize mankind with this discovery! You're like a super hero Flustered! But really, the things that we are pleased with, annoyed by, etc. are all physical things, stimuli, all independent from a free will. You've made no argument, again, as to why without it none of those things exist. You haven't made one because you can't. And you bring up right and wrong again, huh? It's like with the religious, and yes I'm using this kind of parallel with you again. If they all discovered that their Lord suddenly didn't exist and that their belief for why anything mattered or what they believed was the basis of morality, would they stop caring about their family or society or themselves or the world? The answer is no, because what's actually been guiding them and carrying them still exists despite whatever they believed; turns out there was something above their religious texts after all, themselves! When a lie is exposed, there is still the truth remaining, not some gaping hole. There couldn't be a lie without their being a truth in the first place. Morality is how life lives and interacts. It is a necessary consequence of existence that has nothing to do with whether or not free will exists, even if, as you do, claim that the true good comes from a free will. The topic and consequences of living the good life all still remain, and just as I've expressed before in my opinion post, people will still have every reason to give a crap even if they don't have an arbitrary will that could make a different decision in another possible world, and honestly using the latter as a requirement for the former is quite the non sequitur, don't you think?

Last edited:

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
@ Holder of the Heel Holder of the Heel , "why?", not "how?". It does not matter how we justify our choices after the fact, determinism answers nothing about our experience in the moment. "Just an illusion" constitutes neither science nor philosophy.

As I've noted several times in this thread, life/consciousness itself is evidence that aggregations may possess traits in complete opposition to their individual parts. This does not prove free will, but keeps it open as a possibility and I would sooner embrace it than be slogged with the multitude of preferential/ethical contradictions associated with determinism.

It's ludicrous how determinists can care so much about this topic while insisting that we possess no internal capacity to change the external world.

Why do you become defensive when I affirm the potential validity of choice?

Last edited:

Zale

@ Holder of the Heel Holder of the Heel , "why?", not "how?". It does not matter how we justify our choices after the fact, determinism answers nothing about our experience in the moment. "Just an illusion" constitutes neither science nor philosophy.

As I've noted several times in this thread, life/consciousness itself is evidence that aggregations may possess traits in complete opposition to their individual parts. This does not prove free will, but keeps it open as a possibility and I would sooner embrace it than be slogged with the multitude of preferential/ethical contradictions associated with determinism.

It's ludicrous how determinists can care so much about this topic while insisting that we possess no internal capacity to change the external world.

If we give you a counter argument, it's naturally going to be defensive if it contradicts one side.

You state that "life/consciousness itself is evidence that we may possess traits in complete opposition to their individual parts."
But yet, the brain's actions perfectly fit into the quantum theory of differentiating paths. You say evidence for "free-will", yet your examples of evidence are the same as determinist's evidence.

Do research before making silly 'claims' about evidence for free-will. It's insanity

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
But to answer "how" something came about is to explain "why" it happened. Why does the Earth revolve around the Sun and How does the Earth revolve around the Sun are the exact same questions; you might say with life it is different, but the deterministic assertion is that it isn't so yeah. Anyways, I'm not sure how a free will answers much of anything either, out of the two choices it is the least defined and determinism claims that there is a total, however complex, explanation for "our experience in the moment".

1 + 1 = 2, and yeah 2 is different from 1, but it's made up of 1 and 1. It's not 1 + 1 = 4 where something supranatural emerges. The fact that two things in reality interact and create an effect that didn't exist prior isn't exclusive to life, it's the basis of everything, and I'm not given reason currently why the brain is to be treated differently.

Also, you've not explained how an understanding of conduct is impossible without an arbitrary, transcending free will? I've explained myself even just off-hand how there's nothing fallacious with trying to live the good life. Of course, I'm going to guess we think fundamentally different on the subject of ethics. With the question "What is virtue?" I find the question itself interesting and useful, as opposed to any singular ideological answer put forth to it.

Actually I don't care much for the topic but I have nothing better to do than tell people on the internet their wrong. :laugh: Although, people do have a capacity to change the external world, as I've already explained, precisely because there's no free will, not to say that they couldn't necessarily if there is a free will.

Because I disagree with your claims. I'm confused you'd make this aside out of anyone though, if purposeful (like, if the answer is supposed to be indicative/hinting of something), because honestly the adjective in your name tends to describe your demeanor with most people you discuss with down here. Not that it really matters, just as this question here doesn't actually matter, or that you're doing that with me right now because you aren't which I appreciate. :)

Last edited:

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
But to answer "how" something came about is to explain "why" it happened.
Nope.

Why does the Earth revolve around the Sun and How does the Earth revolve around the Sun are the exact same questions.
Did you type that with a straight face? Understanding how gravity works does not explain why it happens.

;you might say with life it is different, but the deterministic assertion is that it isn't so yeah. Anyways, I'm not sure how a free will answers much of anything either, out of the two choices it is the least defined and determinism claims that there is a total, however complex, explanation for "our experience in the moment".
Life is not an exception to "How?" vs. "Why?"

An acceptance of free will is not supposed to explain anything, this is a matter of whether one should acknowledges the significance of our shared intuitive experiences and ability to consider future outcomes.

When the time comes that humans develop an equation which perfectly predicts all human behavior from now until the end of time then we would have unquestionable proof for determinism.

Everything after the Big Bang is deterministic in hindsight, that's an irrelevant constant. If free will is supposed to explain something then what is it that determinism explains? That free will is an illusion because "obvious"?

1 + 1 = 2, and yeah 2 is different from 1, but it's made up of 1 and 1. It's not 1 + 1 = 4 where something supranatural emerges.
Whether you like it or not, life is 1 + 1 = 4 as we fail to understand it. Nobody can explain why particular clusters of molecules start jiggling around on their own accord and begin to self-replicate.

Also, you've not explained how an understanding of conduct is impossible without an arbitrary, transcending free will?
It is a mystery, not supernatural.

I've explained myself even just off-hand how there's nothing fallacious with trying to live the good life.
It is not fallacious, but determinists can still be labelled hypocrites if they make preferential exceptions against the consequences of their own principles.

Of course, I'm going to guess we think fundamentally different on the subject of ethics. With the question "What is virtue?" I find the question itself interesting and useful, as opposed to any singular ideological answer put forth to it.
Determinism implicitly negates ethics. A consistent determinist is not allowed to meaningfully discuss good and evil.

Actually I don't care much for the topic but I have nothing better to do than tell people on the internet their wrong. :laugh:
You're using the language of free will. Consistent determinists are not allowed to judge a selection of potential actions as better or worse.

Although, people do have a capacity to change the external world, as I've already explained, precisely because there's no free will, not to say that they couldn't necessarily if there is a free will.
Again, you're communicating in terms of free will. Two predetermined objects possess no capacity to change their final destinations by bouncing off one another because it could not have occurred any other way.

Because I disagree with your claims.
Disagreement requires a preference for truth, consistent determinists are not allowed to meaningfully disagree.

I'm confused you'd make this aside out of anyone though, if purposeful (like, if the answer is supposed to be indicative/hinting of something), because honestly the adjective in your name tends to describe your demeanor with most people you discuss with down here.
I am allowed to meaningfully express emotional preference in favor of particular ideas as somebody who accepts free will. Consistent determinists do not possess the same luxury.

Not that it really matters, just as this question here doesn't actually matter, or that you're doing that with me right now because you aren't which I appreciate. :)
Yeah, the human experience is as meaningful as worms thrashing around in dirt without free will.

Last edited:

Theworstmaker

Smash Rookie
All the answers can be found under the fifth cereal box you buy on your 3rd visit to your closest Costco

Zale

All the answers can be found under the fifth cereal box you buy on your 3rd visit to your closest Costco
I knew it!!!!!

In all seriousness, determinism vs free-will isn't going to end anytime soon.

Hopefully by the end of my life time, I'll be able to know.

/CloseThread

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Nope.

Did you type that with a straight face? Understanding how gravity works does not explain why it happens.
You don't seem to be interested in backing up your claims still. Why means either the purpose or reason of something. And unless you are a believer of some sort of theological or cosmic teleological end to which reality works, which as an atheist I doubt you are, then you mean the reason for gravity's existence. And if someone doesn't understand what gravity comes from, then you can't rightly say anyone understands how it works; I mean, it's very properties are dependent upon the body it comes from, you can't extrapolate the concept of gravity away from what it revolves (that's why it is a great example for the topic of determinism). I'm very confident you'd, in a different setting, would certainly point this obvious fact out, so I'm confused as to why you'd try and make this false dichotomy in this circumstance outside of trying to slither out of a situation that you cannot refute in order to maintain your narrative, which I believe to be the case because you've still not protected your absolutely extraordinary claims and refuted my own.

An acceptance of free will is not supposed to explain anything, this is a matter of whether one should acknowledges the significance of our shared intuitive experiences and ability to consider future outcomes.
Both of which still exist in a deterministic framework which you haven't explain to the contrary (while I have) and still carry a misapprehension about what this topic is even about. It's extremely difficult to continue talking to someone when you don't intend to actually talk about the subject at hand and instead your own made up conception of it. If free will doesn't explain anything in a discussion of how to explain the mind, then it is flat out a useless concept that cannot be true.

When the time comes that humans develop an equation which perfectly predicts all human behavior from now until the end of time then we would have unquestionable proof for determinism.
When the time comes that humans develop an equation which perfectly projects the start of existence can we have unquestionable proof for God. However, from what we can see, there's absolutely no logical constituency to believe it, nor a physical demand, or some ethical imperative to believe it, despite your unsubstantiated claims for the latter to be true and lack of arguments against my reasons for the contrary.

You can rework the first sentence and posit various things that you and I both don't accept as true.

Everything after the Big Bang is deterministic in hindsight, that's an irrelevant constant. If free will is supposed to explain something then what is it that determinism explains? That free will is an illusion because "obvious"?
I feel like your more so talking to yourself here rather than anything I've actually said, but it should be obvious that determinism, while in itself doesn't explain anything, it's consequence is that through science we can explain everything, which is a potential that we depend on and believe throughout our daily lives. Therefore so is the brain.

Whether you like it or not, life is 1 + 1 = 4 as we fail to understand it. Nobody can explain why particular clusters of molecules start jiggling around on their own accord and begin to self-replicate.
1 + 1 = 2 isn't just math, that's a logical equation. So basically what you're saying here is that it is something beyond logic, even though your claim is simply "we fail to understand it [right now]", an argument from ignorance.

And how does something that plays by a specific set of rules interact with something that follows a different set of rules? How does God interact with reality if he is beyond time, space, logic, human conceptions of good, and so on if we're in reality, space, time, logic, and human conceptions? The answer is that they can't, transcendence doesn't make sense, 1 + 1 = 2 in relation to 1 + 1 = 4 is absurd.

It is a mystery, not supernatural.
That's not an explanation for why understanding conduct becomes impossible without free will.

...Even though what you are speaking of is by definition supernatural, as it goes beyond the natural. The natural having mechanical laws by which it follows, and the free will not being bound by that process. So... yeah. But I wouldn't be worried about semantics if I was you, more about the topic and its arguments.

It is not fallacious, but determinists can still be labelled hypocrites if they make preferential exceptions against the consequences of their own principles.
Determinism isn't a principle of preferences, it's a principle about how preferences come to be. I'm not sure how you continue to keep missing this fact. You've still not researched this topic.

Determinism implicitly negates ethics. A consistent determinist is not allowed to meaningfully discuss good and evil.
Free will implicitly denies that which ethics is based on. A consistent free-willist is not allowed to meaningfull discuss good and evil.

This isn't an argument, it's a game of words that we can all play. It's just not a very fun nor useful one.

You're using the language of free will. Consistent determinists are not allowed to judge a selection of potential actions as better or worse.
Consistent free-willists are not allowed to use reality and its consequences as a basis for a judgment regarding potential actions as being better or worse.

Also, saying "not allowed" isn't an argument and isn't a refutation of what has been put forth.

Again, you're communicating in terms of free will. Two predetermined objects possess no capacity to change their final destinations by bouncing off one another because it could not have occurred any other way.
You've noticed that you can't refute what I've said, so you change the meaning of my claim to something that you can beat but has absolutely no baring on the discussion or reality. Your claim was that people cannot change the external world, I explain why this is clearly false, and now you talk about "final destinations"? It's as if there is some Godly plan in your mind of how things will go, and indeed there's ultimately one possibility... in hindsight, which you yourself within this post have acknowledged to be deterministic and irrelevantly so.

Disagreement requires a preference for truth, consistent determinists are not allowed to meaningfully disagree.
Disagreement requires a preference, which requires a distinct foundation in oneself; consistent free-willists are not allowed to appeal to anything within themselves and thus cannot meaningfully disagree.

Again, ignoring what has been said and just defaulting to "not allowed" statements when you can't defend yourself isn't an argument.

I am allowed to meaningfully express emotional preference in favor of particular ideas as somebody who accepts free will. Consistent determinists do not possess the same luxury.
Still no arguments explaining any of these made-up rules. Sigh.

Yeah, the human experience is as meaningful as worms thrashing around in dirt without free will.
I'm sorry you have such a pessimistic view of reality.

Once again you are reminiscent of religious believers, the parallels continue. They all believe that reality is innately dissatisfying, there is something lacking within it, the very foundation for everything we believe and all that we sense isn't enough to be happy or to think of society or enough to provide reason for it. All things you've posited here in this thread. Just remove God and insert Free Will. Priests who debate online that people try to do good and make things better for no logical reason surprise me when all around them, even themselves, are evidence of progress in their lives. When theological people assert that people who don't believe in Gods are just religious in another way, you'd be surprised at how such a juvenile argument can actually be true when those who emancipate themselves from religion still carry along with them the ideas that came with it, concepts divorced from reality, estranged from what "is". An absolute good, a free will, intrinsic meaning, among many others things. The Realm of Ideas by definition doesn't exist, rights and the state that you are against are indeed a part of this. It's not easy, we're constantly being conditioned and immersed in the simulacrum of our conversations, we can never be completely free from it, it is a part of the human condition, or religion would never have existed to the degree it does. Even when I broke from Christianity in my teens, I carried everything else along with it in belief for a good while, which is bad because while the idea of God is fallacious, what I truly dislike about it is all the baggage that comes along with it. The concept of God is insignificant in itself, it's more of a container for other ideas, so removing the container was actually the least useful thing I could do, and that is why I don't care if people are spiritual, and that is why so many people who are, are vastly different people despite any similarities in faith, because being a believer has progressively become more and more, and probably always has been, a relatively meaningless statement in regards to who they are. I said earlier I don't care much for this topic, and indeed I initially was going to ignore it, but when you came in it was clearly not just about free will and determinism, it was so much more.

I may have done so in the first page, but I'd really recommend to you that you seek out discussions and debates of this topic, if all of this is unsatisfactory to you. This has gone nowhere since even the start of this topic and I am beginning to have my doubts that you'll advance beyond this rhetoric that you keep repeating over and over. You won't even acknowledge that even if to some degree of combatibalism exists, your ideas fall flat instantly; you argue from consequence (preferential and thus subjective) even to your own admission when you'd argue against such thinking anywhere else; and you claim that determinists are using free will all the time, even though you know you can't prove free will and accept the possibility that determinism can be proven factual and therefore your perception that it is needed for ethics and happiness aren't even necessarily true if everything you've said is right because at that point reality is indistinguishable between a world with free will and without it; it's really tough to say that that the absence of free will makes reality so bleak when it doesn't seem to make a discernible difference. And even with the angle of consequence you ignore how determinism can be used for good consequences (and how I argued the bad consequences are from something other than deterministic thinking, something you never addressed). But I don't think you will, because the real reason you're stubborn about this is that you have a bias for it because it's tied into a much more important topic to you, the UPB (of which I only ever see critical deconstructions of), which then ties into your anarchism, which appeals to your very nature. You believe that it's because you see this as the truth and that you have a preference for truth, but you've gotten this perception that this is true and this kind of preference from what you are, which you didn't construct from the position of an outsider, like a God of your own self, which the free will claims to be. The only way to change this view of yours is to tackle its foundation, something I can't do by posting on smashboards with you a little (especially since I'm not nearly as eloquent or knowledgeable as most people here), particularly about a subject that is, again, a consequence of things much greater. The same reason why you cannot easily dissuade the religious with logical arguments, because they didn't get there from logic in the first place, it's not a debate in their mind, even if they believe it is. That's why the question of how and why are the same, and that is why the question of morality is superior to any answer.

I do believe you can change your mind on this subject, because reality is intuitive, the truth is necessarily the most convincing and comprehensible view. The person who is the most persuasive in our lives is ourselves. You accuse of determinists that they invoke free will when they make a choice, even though you don't explain why, and at best they are consciously invoking the perception that their will is free but not the actual reality so you'd still be wrong, and all they are assenting to when making a choice is what they are and feel, not that they entirely constructed this end. Not that they in another possible world could've chosen differently, when I make a choice I don't care about that, and honestly that does not seem healthy to wonder about "what ifs" anyhow outside of learning from failures. Knowing that there is a mechanical basis for my whims and life decisions doesn't destroy the existence of either and doesn't limit the effects and enjoyment out of either; if you feel that way then that sounds more like a personal problem rather than anything wrong with the concept itself if its possible for the opposite to be true for people. Knowing that people react and change on the same logic doesn't have any good reason to effect whether I want them to or not, or what that consequence is, so society all remains the same. So on the contrary, I believe that your accusation is better fit directed at yourself, and that's why you can convince yourself and not me. You betray your absolutist view of free will when you analyse yourself, society, and your interaction with anyone else, the building blocks with which you use to base your view and preferences of it, at least in part, which is enough to, again, collapse the foundation of your claims of humanity, which is all I was concerned about, and not your opinion of free will which is absolutely meaningless on its own. You may have the last words, good day to you Flusteredbat.

Last edited:

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
You're making stuff up at this point, @ Holder of the Heel Holder of the Heel . Why don't you just admit being uncomfortable with the idea of free will? There is not much I can say in response to misinterpretation.

Religions which preach omniscience are congruent with determinism, how ironic.

Yes! I am an absolutist when it comes to consistency, i.e. not being a hypocrite. It is possible to behave consistently alongside an acceptance of determinism, though nobody actually does. Actions matter infinitely more than words, though perhaps you accept the opposite?

Last edited:

Zale

*Sigh* Was hoping the thread was over.

This is a pointless debate at this point. There is more evidence of determinism than free-will, just not enough.

Also, there isn't much point in arguing with people who believe in free-will, they are a lost cause in my opinion.

/PleaseEndThread

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
*Sigh* Was hoping the thread was over.

This is a pointless debate at this point. There is more evidence of determinism than free-will, just not enough.

Also, there isn't much point in arguing with people who believe in free-will, they are a lost cause in my opinion.

/PleaseEndThread
That's twice now that you have posted about the pointlessness of posting in this thread. Do you expect people to take your dismissive passive-aggressive patronizing seriously? All I see is your reluctance to admit fault in the reckless certainty of disregarding free will. You would prefer to disengage and forget this thread ever happened rather than introspect - fine, do that, but you hold zero authority in closing this discussion for everyone else.

Last edited:

Zale

That's twice now that you have posted about the pointlessness of posting in this thread. Do you expect people to take your dismissive passive-aggressive patronizing seriously? All I see is your reluctance to admit fault in the reckless certainty of disregarding free will. You would prefer to disengage and forget this thread ever happened rather than introspect - fine, do that, but you hold zero authority in closing this discussion for everyone else.

I wasn't demanding it be ended. Was hoping it would though. I tried to end it in a humorous way (the /command). Clearly that went right over your head.

People are beginning to repeat themselves, especially you. What are you trying to do? Prove free-will exists? From the argument that you have posted multiple times now (barely even an argument), you haven't been able to say anything that any of us don't know. You are not educating, you are just insulting at this point. So please, either start showing evidence, or don't claim free-will exists.

All it takes is one Google search to find evidence of determinism. There isn't enough to prove it though. Hence why I "personally" find this to be pointless.

Go ahead, keep repeating yourselves, this thread isn't going anywhere anytime soon apparently.

/ThreadEndCommandJoke

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't demanding it be ended. Was hoping it would though. I tried to end it in a humorous way (the /command). Clearly that went right over your head.

People are beginning to repeat themselves, especially you. What are you trying to do? Prove free-will exists? From the argument that you have posted multiple times now (barely even an argument), you haven't been able to say anything that any of us don't know. You are not educating, you are just insulting at this point. So please, either start showing evidence, or don't claim free-will exists.

All it takes is one Google search to find evidence of determinism. There isn't enough to prove it though. Hence why I "personally" find this to be pointless.

Go ahead, keep repeating yourselves, this thread isn't going anywhere anytime soon apparently.

/ThreadEndCommandJoke
Someday you may realize the extent of your intellectual immaturity and inability to process new perspectives. If I have repeated myself in this thread it is because people like you keep pushing back while taking the truth of their position for granted. Have you ever actually thought about this subject or are you just parroting what somebody else has told you? I assume the latter considering how you believe validating determinism is as self-evident as running biased search terms through Google.

Last edited:

Zale

Someday you may realize the extent of your intellectual immaturity and inability to process new perspectives. If I have repeated myself in this thread it is because people like you keep pushing back while taking the truth of their position for granted. Have you ever actually thought about this subject or are you just parroting what somebody else has told you? I assume the latter considering how you believe validating determinism is as self-evident as running bias search terms through Google.

Having been a believer in free-will for my entire childhood, you are wrong.

I have a very open mind! Running bias terms through Google? Are you saying Google finds biased scientific evidence?
The person with the closed mind seems to be you.

Just taking shots at another person isn't going to add anything to this thread.

"Someday you may realize the extent of your intellectual immaturity and inability to process new perspectives."

L O L

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
Having been a believer in free-will for my entire childhood, you are wrong.
Attaching yourself to a conclusion is not the same as understanding an argument.

I have a very open mind! Running bias terms through Google? Are you saying Google finds biased scientific evidence?
No, I'm saying that search engines encourage confirmation bias. Google bots do not prioritize good arguments, they only recognize key words and site hits.

The person with the closed mind seems to be you.
By what standard?

Just taking shots at another person isn't going to add anything to this thread.
Then why do you continue posting?

"Someday you may realize the extent of your intellectual immaturity and inability to process new perspectives."

L O L
Very mature indeed.

Desu_Maiden

Smash Cadet
Free will is an illusion. If free will exists, nobody will be able to predict any behavior and cognition. But clearly behavior and cognition are predictable. Therefore, free will is an illusion.

If free will was real, then there would be no point studying psychology since psychology is about predicting behaviors and cognition. But behavior and cognition are predictable. This proves free will is an illusion.

Just because behavior and cognition are sometimes unpredictable doesn't make free will real. Whenever behavior and cognition are unpredictable, it is because you don't understand the underlying causes of behavior and cognition.

Free will only seems correct due to common sense. But common sense is often wrong. Logic and evidence shows that free will is false. For example, according to common sense, the Earth is the center of the universe, but later, Galileo proved that it is actually the Sun that's the center of the solar system. And the Earth resolves around the Sun, and not the other way around. Cognitive and behavior neuroscience and psychology prove that free will is an illusion.

Anyone, who believes in free will, obviously doesn't realize that it is ultimately due to the chemical reactions in your brain that determine all of your thoughts and behaviors. You actually have no control over any of your thoughts and behaviors.

Last edited:

Zale

Free will is an illusion. If free will exists, nobody will be able to predict any behavior and cognition. But clearly behavior and cognition are predictable. Therefore, free will is an illusion.

If free will was real, then there would be no point studying psychology since psychology is about predicting behaviors and cognition. But behavior and cognition are predictable. This proves free will is an illusion.

Just because behavior and cognition are sometimes unpredictable doesn't make free will real. Whenever behavior and cognition are unpredictable, it is because you don't understand the underlying causes of behavior and cognition.

Free will only seems correct due to common sense. But common sense is often wrong. Logic and evidence shows that free will is false. For example, according to common sense, the Earth is the center of the universe, but later, Galileo proved that it is actually the Sun that's the center of the solar system. And the Earth resolves around the Sun, and not the other way around. Cognitive and behavior neuroscience and psychology prove that free will is an illusion.

Anyone, who believes in free will, obviously doesn't realize that it is ultimately due to the chemical reactions in your brain that determine all of your thoughts and behaviors. You actually have no control over any of your thoughts and behaviors.
This is such a great summation of the argument.

Very mature indeed.
If you decide maturity by a set of letters, then good luck to you sir.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If by summation you mean repeating the same thing over and over, then he knocked it out of the park. I happen to agree that free will is not truly attainable, but hesitate to argue in favor of determinism based on "behavior and cognition" being said 50 times in a row.

It's far more likely that an argument from the standpoint of choice is what we're really after.

Think of it like this : name one decision you were faced with where the choices were a secret. And no, choosing behind secret unnamed doors don't count, because you still saw the choices ahead of making the decision, door 1, 2, or 3.

The only way I see free will as being remotely possible, is if we can make a decision without having knowledge of the choices given us in that decision.

If you take coke or pepsi, not free will. You knew you'd have to choose between one or the other, so your "choice" isn't really a choice, but a process of elimination, albeit a relatively fast process.

Zale

If by summation you mean repeating the same thing over and over, then he knocked it out of the park.

Correct :]

Free-will has ZERO evidence.... NONE.... ZILCH.... ZIP...... NOTHING.... And the "experience of free will" is not really evidence. "Whether or not it is clear to you, there's no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." And hopefully in my lifetime we secure enough proper evidence of determinism to put the debate to rest for good. These arguments won't be going anywhere without evidence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Until then I'll leave another couple of my favorite quotes.

"Man can do what he wills, but he cannot will what he wills.” -Arthur Schopenhauer

“Life calls the tune, we dance.” -John Galsworthy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
@ Zale Zale If someone truly comprehended the implications of Determinism then they would not hope for scientific confirmation. Must I keep mentioning that life itself represents blatant evidence which blows any material justification for determinism out the window? Determinism is not 'the more rational position' because observation always trumps theory in science.

...and yes, I will continue to judge you as immature based on your responses thus far. So "L O L" is just a bunch of inconsequential letters, huh? How moronic do you think I am? You believe laughing at your opposition discredits them.

@ Desu_Maiden Desu_Maiden You're incorrect right off the bat. Human behavior cannot be predicted without error. Perfect behavioral prediction is only a pipe dream for control freaks at this point.

Next you suggest the main purpose of psychology is to predict human behavior, also false. Prediction is certainly part of psychology, though these predictions are made to help change the course of unhealthy lifestyles.

If ignorance is the root of human unpredictability then how do you plan on demonstrating that? Do not take the crux of determinism for granted.

What logic and evidence shows that free will is false? You're just indirectly asserting the truth of your position without reason. That historical analogy could be used in support of any unclear position and baseless appeals to authority do not make arguments stronger.

@ Sucumbio Sucumbio Miraculous decisions do not represent an avenue for free will. All decisions are based upon the accumulation of experience, it is not within human capacity to generate concepts from nothing - if we cannot or have not experienced an idea then it will never cross our minds. Either way, miracles would actually serve as evidence for determinism rather than free will because they implicitly bring omniscience into the mix through whatever divine hand is at work.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
But... Okay, you say "All decisions are based on the accumulation of experience."

Do you not find this claim to be rock solid evidence in favor of determinism? If we cannot make (conscious) decisions based on anything except what preceded the point of making the decision, does this not play right into the domino effect of all things? I'm not suggesting that single cells decided to split, mind you, that's absurd. What I'm suggesting is that single cells could not have developed into organisms without the perfect conditions being reached first. So rather than the chicken or the egg paradox, it's really Darwinism. Environment effects how things play out. Things playing out, play out in the only way they could play out, despite the fact that we can intellectually conceive of differing outcomes. Determinism may be too harsh of a stance. It may not be the appropriate antonym for Free Will. And then again, Free Will better be called Free Choice. But no matter the vocabulary, the reality of our universe in the observed sense, is that everything leads to the next to the next on and on, and we are merely observers of this. We. Change nothing in other words, that wasn't already set up for us to do so.

What I won't accept, is that this somehow means I can treat my fellow man and world world with disdain. That is a still a conscious decision based on previous factors. So it still fits the rubric of the domino effect

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
But... Okay, you say "All decisions are based on the accumulation of experience."

Do you not find this claim to be rock solid evidence in favor of determinism? If we cannot make (conscious) decisions based on anything except what preceded the point of making the decision, does this not play right into the domino effect of all things? I'm not suggesting that single cells decided to split, mind you, that's absurd. What I'm suggesting is that single cells could not have developed into organisms without the perfect conditions being reached first. So rather than the chicken or the egg paradox, it's really Darwinism. Environment effects how things play out. Things playing out, play out in the only way they could play out, despite the fact that we can intellectually conceive of differing outcomes. Determinism may be too harsh of a stance. It may not be the appropriate antonym for Free Will. And then again, Free Will better be called Free Choice. But no matter the vocabulary, the reality of our universe in the observed sense, is that everything leads to the next to the next on and on, and we are merely observers of this. We. Change nothing in other words, that wasn't already set up for us to do so.

What I won't accept, is that this somehow means I can treat my fellow man and world world with disdain. That is a still a conscious decision based on previous factors. So it still fits the rubric of the domino effect
Our range of motion is limited by experience, though that does not automatically lead to predetermination. I am not concerned with the perceived domino effect of sequential choices which will always be apparent in hindsight no matter what.

The majority of the universe follows a vast series of predetermined beats, but if we are to subsequently deny the exceptional nature of human consciousness then we must also deny the existence of life itself. To be inanimate is the opposite of life, not death.

If people want evidence for universal exceptions then all they have to do is look in a mirror. Gaze into your own eyes and say:

"I am not an atom"

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I can accept the human consciousness is indeed unique and as such may contradict the traditional deterministic worldview. This is where I must give way to true ignorance of how (or why) human consciousness works. As @ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht so eloquently put, our limited understanding essentially negates the importance of the question in many ways.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
I would not downplay the importance of this topic given how free will is at the core of what it means to be human. One may claim to be a determinist, although they still implicitly accept free will through their actions and expectations.

Last edited:

MHTak

Smash Rookie
I still don't quite get how determinism negates ethics completely, like how acknowledging freedom of your/others will would give you a reason to behave in a certain way that a determinist worldview wouldn't. (Or a reason to anything.)

The question "why" always assumes an intention or a goal behind the event in question, and intentions, goals and preferences do exist within human interaction as a part of thought process regardless of free will. They do not exist anywhere else (or hardly anywhere else w.e.)

I'm genuinely curious, show me the logic @ FlusteredBat FlusteredBat

Last edited:

Zale

free will is at the core of what it means to be human......
although they still implicitly accept free will through their actions and expectations.
Both of these statements have just displayed your weak reasons for arguing. You are shouting opinions, and "phrasing" them as FACTS. They are not facts. Free-will is at the core of what it means to be human? You have to be kidding me... Just please stop.

We don't accept free-will through our actions... based on evidence so far, they are all determined. ;) ;)

Last edited:

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
I still don't quite get how determinism negates ethics completely, like how acknowledging freedom of your/others will would give you a reason to behave in a certain way that a determinist worldview wouldn't. (Or a reason to anything.)

The question "why" always assumes an intention or a goal behind the event in question, and intentions, goals and preferences do exist within human interaction as a part of thought process regardless of free will. They do not exist anywhere else (or hardly anywhere else w.e.)

I'm genuinely curious, show me the logic @ FlusteredBat FlusteredBat
The validity of ethical judgement is contingent upon choice. Without choice we cannot say people are responsible for their actions. That is to say humans helplessly bounce between the external influences which compel them like any other piece of matter in the universe. Would you extend ethics to inanimate objects?

Meaningful preferences require the possibility of alternate scenarios which can never occur in a predetermined society.

@ Zale Zale You're responding to conclusions as if they represent my entire argument which you have been avoiding like the plague (especially the part about hypocrisy). We seem to have come full circle. Perhaps I will stop now, but not because you would prefer it.

Last edited:

Zale

The validity of ethical judgement is contingent upon choice. Without choice we cannot say people are responsible for their actions. That is to say humans helplessly bounce between the external influences which compel them like any other piece of matter in the universe. Would you extend ethics to inanimate objects?
We make what we believe are choices, not ACTUAL choices. And to the "validity of ethical judgement"... Ethical judgement is a joke, nothing we do is a choice. We are all equals... Serial killers are just as innocent as little girls. None of us are any different in that sense. Anything we do is just another reaction from a great chain of events of the universe.

Perhaps I will stop now
I sure hope so! :D

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Mmkay, I'm a liar, I've returned. :laugh:

Wait, whoa, I finally look at your reply to see that you've once again evaded an entire lengthy rebuttal, which meant you were already going in with a disadvantage because you didn't actually have anything with substance to rebut to begin with.

You're making stuff up at this point, @ Holder of the Heel Holder of the Heel . Why don't you just admit being uncomfortable with the idea of free will? There is not much I can say in response to misinterpretation.
Point out everything I made up, because otherwise it, not humorously at all, makes it ironically seem that you are the one making things up. This also makes it seem like you are uncomfortable, as I had engaged with your statements fully. Although that's not to my credit, you didn't actually support them, so it didn't take any fortitude on my part.

In fact, even pointing out things that I "made up" would be pretty lacking with that in mind, because like I said, since you didn't actually give anything to rebut in terms of foundation, indeed much of my posts are explaining the topic you "think" you're talking about, and summing up the opposite argument, defining it, something you did not do, which I don't entirely blame you for, because no one has any idea what they are speaking of when they say Free Will, just like with God, Good, Evil, and such ideas.

Religions which preach omniscience are congruent with determinism, how ironic.
Do you know what congruent means? Determinism doesn't include religion or anything supernatural, like your free will, which is an idea associated with, yep you guessed it, religion. Once more you try to get by actually backing up anything or addressing what I've said directly, you do what you accused me of within this same post, again not in a humorously ironic way: you're making things up.

If you didn't have the intellectual honesty to tackle what I'm saying when in a Debate Hall, you could've at least said you'd do as I asked of you, to research the topic outside of everything that you are regurgitating from Stefan. He is literally the only individual who not only takes this angle with the topic, but does so exclusively, and he's not even religious. His own fans, who follow him devoutly, have spoken out against his arguments with free will. I'd know because I make a habit of listening to all sorts of people, not just the ones I agree with.

The majority of the universe follows a vast series of predetermined beats, but if we are to subsequently deny the exceptional nature of human consciousness then we must also deny the existence of life itself.
It is positively amazing that you can deny the remarkability of the brain, let alone anything about us from out evolutionary process at all, just because there isn't a trait that you can't prove, discern from a world without it, or define. And how you erroneously make the decision that without it, every other feature of life is forfeit, even though that's not how science works, especially since you admit that you can't tell the difference between a world with it or without it by acknowledging that determinism can be proven with what we know.

What is life? Do you define it as free will? I think science would disagree with you. Even if it existed, there are more features to existence to differentiate animate objects with inanimate objects. Additionally, why care about your subjective definitions of what is truly living and what isn't? It's just you trying to extend your will on others because it ties into your beliefs.

The validity of ethical judgement is contingent upon choice.
Indeed, we are in agreement, discussion over.
I think you mean "The validity of ethical judgement is contingent upon on what mechanism choices are made." Even though you'd be wrong.

Without choice we cannot say people are responsible for their actions.
You're more concerned about what we can say then what is the truth or any consideration over whether what is said really makes any difference at all as to what we do. You're the one who said you claim that actions mean more than words and questioned whether I am the opposite, another case of irony, because I'm the only one interested in cutting out words that don't describe reality and dealing with literally nothing but action, activity, the state of being active. Determinism is that, and nothing more. You're the one that has the position that is more than that (although the way you word it, the basis of activity is entirely ignored lest any of it be validated for that'd be enough to collapse your misanthropic claims about humanity), and none of your actions have been based around action or reaction.

Would you extend ethics to inanimate objects?
Would I extend an observation and consideration of the consequences and properties of everything? Yes, and this is the only objective understanding of conduct, and it's all that is needed. You encounter paradoxes and strange ways of viewing the world because you're holding onto strange ideologies, when really everything is simple and we spend much of our life making it complicated for ourselves. I've already explained that though, but you still think that if you gave up your belief in free will today, you'd take to court any rock you stubbed your toe on because you'd think that'd help you as you perceive no different in its physical make-up and a humans because you skipped out on all your classes that had to do with science. Not really sure what can be said to dissuade anything associated with that kind of thinking.

Meaningful preferences require the possibility of alternate scenarios which can never occur in a predetermined society.
Meaning is subjective, so it's just your belief being subjugated on others. "I couldn't find a meaningful existence with this belief, so that must mean others can't too!" Actually reality doesn't conform to thought, which we can all be thankful for.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
We make what we believe are choices, not ACTUAL choices. And to the "validity of ethical judgement"... Ethical judgement is a joke, nothing we do is a choice. We are all equals... Serial killers are just as innocent as little girls. None of us are any different in that sense. Anything we do is just another reaction from a great chain of events of the universe.

I sure hope so! :D
CHOICE IS AN ILLUSION BECAUSE CAPS and emoticons mean I am totally not a condescending prat :b::b::b::b::b::b:

...there, I just summarized your argument.

If you truly believe serial killers are as "innocent as little girls" (why not little boys?) then I commend you for that nugget of consistency, although also condemn you for being a monstrous nihilist.

Perhaps.

@ Holder of the Heel Holder of the Heel I really can't be bothered responding anymore, the way you twist definitions and attempt to insultingly psychoanalyze me is far too tiresome.

Zale

CHOICE IS AN ILLUSION BECAUSE CAPS and emoticons mean I am totally not a condescending prat
If that's what you think my arguments consist of, then I'm afraid you might be illiterate.

Secondly, you mock me, and call me a "condescending prat". Please leave this argument, you seem to have lost the point of this thread.

Insulting people will get you nowhere here. :(
--------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Holder of the Heel Holder of the Heel I really can't be bothered responding anymore, the way you twist definitions and attempt to insultingly psychoanalyze me is far too tiresome.
You must be joking.

Also, I am not a "nihilist", although I share a few traits with that belief system. (Not sure why I'm responding to that)

ON TOPIC: Without counter-evidence to determinism, I see no reason to believe in free-will. Nothing is wrong with that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom