• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone know who counters G&W?

Neb

Smash Lord
Every character is a descendent of Mr. Game & Watch. You can't win against yourself, can you? Hope that gave you new perspective. Please use the social thread if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

_hunt

Smash Rookie
Characters with excellent reach, easy mistake power and good weight, I guess.

I haven't played many Ike's which is part of the problem, but I struggle against him because he has such good reach in every direction and can score low %age KOs on GDubs if he lands a mistake hit. He's certainly very beatable, especially when you get him in the air. It's just that a good Ike player will probably stop you from controlling the flow of the game and be able to punish you if you misread - sometimes even if they don't intend to due to his sheer power. His weight also means that he doesn't fly that far.

He's hardly the primary G&W counter though. Just an example.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
:4duckhunt: and :rosalina: are a problem. G-dubs relies on his agility and freedom of movement this time, and those two zone him to pieces. And to make things worse, they don't have any attacks that can be absorbed.

At the same time, though, if we're talking matchups against more common characters, and characters you don't want to pull out against him, G-dubs hard-counters :4robinm:, being able to Oil Panic all of his usual tools (Arcfire's multihit instafills the bucket, even!), so Robin has to rely on the Levin Sword, allowing our flat friend to pester him from afar.

Neb

Smash Lord
We ought to see what affect our windboxes have on Duck Hunt and Rosalina's zoning tools. Could transform the match-up. I don't see Duck Hunt being a strong counter for G&W though.

Last edited:

Regi_King

Smash Rookie
NNID
RegiShikimi
I see myself having some problems with strong heavy characters like Bowser or DK, hard to kill, and their smash attacks have longer range than G&W kill moves. That and the fact that G&W is very light, I have seen myself killed by Bowser's Fsmash at 50% uncharged.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
:4duckhunt: and :rosalina: are a problem. G-dubs relies on his agility and freedom of movement this time, and those two zone him to pieces. And to make things worse, they don't have any attacks that can be absorbed.

At the same time, though, if we're talking matchups against more common characters, and characters you don't want to pull out against him, G-dubs hard-counters :4robinm:, being able to Oil Panic all of his usual tools (Arcfire's multihit instafills the bucket, even!), so Robin has to rely on the Levin Sword, allowing our flat friend to pester him from afar.
The explosion of dhd's can, can be absorbed.

Luma's regular b can be absorbed as well.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I've had a lot of trouble against Ganondorf. His kicks have greater range than anything G&W has.

Renzo1187

Smash Rookie
I've had a lot of trouble against Ganondorf. His kicks have greater range than anything G&W has.
I typically try to keep Ganon in the air as much as possible. Usually not a good idea to approach him on the ground. He is very gimpable and easy to rack up quick damage on.

Top Bottom