• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

does anyone else have this attitude? ☆add your smash philosophy here☆

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
My philosophy for smash is i am not playing to win I am playing to better at this game and compete to test where i need to grow more.But i also aim to be like a modern one of the greats M2K,wobbles,mango,ken,kdj ect.
what is your smash philosophy add it here. what are your favorite aspects of smash do yo play competetivley or casually?

Nelkoy

Smash Cadet
"I never lose I either win or learn."

That's pretty much my personal vision of any competitive game or sport.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I play to have fun no matter the results. Anything other than that is a sin.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
"Try not to fail as bad as last time."

...never seems to work, for some reason...

PKMudkip

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0087-2827-5098
Switch FC
SW-5862-2113-3817
For me, I won't say I'm amazing at this game until I can beat every Level 9 CPU with every character. I have gotten 27/53 characters done, so I like to think I'm pretty decent although my friends think I'm like a god

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
I want to make a mark on the community. Everyone wants to be recognized for something, so why not their hobby. I want people to look at me the same way they look at SAUS or Amsa and while they may not be #1, fans idolize those people for their ingenuity. It'd be nice to blow people away with my character choices. If I can get better results than any other King Dedede or Ness in PM, I'll be pleased as peach pie.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Only to test my abilities and grow stronger as a player. Winning is secondary.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
"Induce as much sodium chloride as humanly possible."
"It's not a true win if you don't style on them."
"We read those, we tech those, and we punish those."
That about covers it.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
"If you're gonna be in the spotlight, ya might as well put on a show!"

SPAZ494

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4511-0835-8425
Dunk everyone with Diddy as much as possible. Even better is dunking someone with Diddy into the ground so they die off the top. Pretty much "always go for the spike"

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
I'm just in it to have fun and improve my playstyle.

Unless my opponent taunts at the beginning of the match and attacks me when I taunt back.
Or taunts every time he or she gets a kill
Or taunts after every hit
Or changes his name to something demeaning
Or teabags
Or starts acting cocky in general
Or picks Rosalina
Or Sonic
Or ROB
Or ZSS
Or Shiek
Or any other character

Then it's all about getting the W no matter the cost; 'cause screw players who don't share my glorious vision of me winning gloriously.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
lol
I'm just in it to have fun and improve my playstyle.

Unless my opponent taunts at the beginning of the match and attacks me when I taunt back.
Or taunts every time he or she gets a kill
Or taunts after every hit
Or changes his name to something demeaning
Or teabags
Or starts acting cocky in general
Or picks Rosalina
Or Sonic
Or ROB
Or ZSS
Or Shiek
Or any other character

Then it's all about getting the W no matter the cost; 'cause screw players who don't share my glorious vision of me winning gloriously.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I'm not very good at Smash and I'm not a very competitive person by nature, so my main goal is to have fun playing the game and not worry too much about how I measure up. Some of my favorite times playing Smash have actually involved co-op with a friend against a team of coms with items on.

I try to work on improving my "skills" (if you can call them that) sometimes too. I've had mixed results so far. I don't think I really have the time or reflexes to reach the skill level of most of the people active on sites like this, but I figure that playing against some people who are a lot better than me can be fun in its own way. I tend to be a lot more comfortable doing that with people I know though since playing with friends allows me to avoid most of the frustrating behaviors that seem like they're sort of prevalent on For Glory and places like that.

Last edited:

Scrub God

Smash Rookie
Never play just to win. I think styling on your opponent and learning on how to improve is a much better goal to reach.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I just play to give a good show and make people like the game I love! I play very seriously but I congratulate my rivals on amazing plays and overall try to have a great and fun time even in tourneys! All in all, smash is a game that was made for fun through competition just like any other multiplayer game that isn't co-op only, I will never understand how people can forget the fun part.

Sketchit

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sketchit
While I do play to win, that's not the most important factor. I play to have fun and steadily improve overtime, and be a part of the community. That includes being kind and respectful to any you meet, be it a casual setting or a tournament.. even if you don't get that same treatment back. (Which is really disheartening when that happens.)

Rhydon65

Smash Rookie
Personally, winning is extremely satisfying for me and I strive for victory. But I am kind and respectful and I hate trash talk. In a way, I follow a code of Chivalry when I play competitively. But at the end of the day, what I love most about this game are the memories of great moments, whether I did something awesome or got KOed by an awesome maneuver. Like when a guy gets caped while trying to recover and moves away from the stage, or gets dunked under the stage. I remember once one of my friends used Peach's final smash while another player was in the air and fell off the stage because he fell asleep, I couldn't stop laughing for like, 2 hours.

PerryEllis

Smash Cadet
1. If you grab me, you better end with a throw.
2. If you spam projectiles -- I'm automatically better than you in life.
3. If you spam/revert back to the same combos throughout the match -- you need to get a life.
4. If you taunt first during a match (and I didn't do any of the above) then you are a real life loser.
4.5. If you do any of the above and still don't win -- just stop playing fighting games you sad, dirty creep.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
i feel the same i had a link player taunt with one stock at 127% after taking my first stock at 181% plus he spamed projectiles and taunted first thing lpl
1. If you grab me, you better end with a throw.
2. If you spam projectiles -- I'm automatically better than you in life.
3. If you spam/revert back to the same combos throughout the match -- you need to get a life.
4. If you taunt first during a match (and I didn't do any of the above) then you are a real life loser.
4.5. If you do any of the above and still don't win -- just stop playing fighting games you sad, dirty creep.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
My mission statement when it comes to Smash is to win, yet shake hands (or paws) when it comes to the bitter taste of defeat, to exercise good sportsmanship. I've never thought of Smash Bros as a game of leisure, I save that for Mario Kart, I firmly believe focus and split second reaction times are a prerequisite for Smash, even if its playing in Classic Mode. I shift to a serious mindset when it comes to Smash, not to say I don't take it lightly either.

Yes, I indeed fight for my friends.
And die trying, because only the best comes out on top in Smash.
And that dear sir, is my firm philosophy on Smash.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I don't use strategies I find cheap or annoying (avoiding examples for fear being mauled to death). Other than that, I guess it's all about having fun and improving your game. Nothing much more to add.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Unlock the potentials of my character and have a blast doing it.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
Disrespect like a jerk, also make people rage that they are losing to a lower tier character when they play someone like Sheik, Ness or Falcon

Last edited:

AJL

Smash Cadet
NNID
jplacura
3DS FC
3110-5257-7666
"Kill on sight."

Saucen

Bruh
NNID
FangMaGuoLai
I play for fun. That's why I main Jiggly and usually play free-for-all and go for YOLO rests.

Top Bottom