• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else feel old after listening to music?

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
I was most certainly hitting up some Aqua, AceofBase, and WhiteTown and was like... wow its been like 10 years... *facepalm*

And with all these new punk kids with their crazy rap music and R and/or B tunes i think im losing my mind. I remember the days when all you needed was a synthesizer to make some "hardcore" beats, and when people actually sang, instead of staying in a 2-3 octave range >_>

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
One thing is for sure, in the 90's there was a lot of good music in mainstream outlets, now there isn't.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
I was most certainly hitting up some Aqua, AceofBase, and WhiteTown and was like... wow its been like 10 years... *facepalm*

And with all these new punk kids with their crazy rap music and R and/or B tunes i think im losing my mind. I remember the days when all you needed was a synthesizer to make some "hardcore" beats, and when people actually sang, instead of staying in a 2-3 octave range >_>
Mainstream music today is garbage. My library ranges from the 1950's to now and covers every genre in the book (save modern country and gangsta rap). Almost everything from 2003 onwards is either international or indie. I'm only 17, but it doesn't take someone who lived decades earlier to see that music quality has degenerated over time. Nickelback, Fall Out Boy, and OK Go are nothing compared to Johnny Cash, Queen, Frank Sinatra, or hundreds of other artists whose music gets less airtime because it's not what 'sells' anymore.

P-Wubbs

Smash Apprentice
I do not get into anything that is going on mainstream today. I listen to a lot of new country, but my playlist varies from 50's & 60's bands to classic rock to disco. I have my times when I want to hear Aqua and Ace of Base again, and I cannot believe that it has already been that long since those songs came out.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I think we've all had those times where we listen to music from past decades and hated the mainstream media/music industry for not giving airtime to enough artists.

Mainstream outlets are not what they used to be, but I won't say that they're complete garbage, Common (though his last album sucked compared to the rest), Lupe Fiasco, Radiohead, Gnarls Barkley, and some others come to mind. However, most of the stuff I listen to today is not as well known.

As for "feeling older", yeah, I do all the time when I listen to music. Especially when I listen to 60's rock and 80's/early 90's rap.

When I was 3, 4, or something I remember my friend's older brothers holding Nevermind in their hands and how they couldn't believe Kurt Cobain shot himself. They were also talking about have seen him perform on (I think) MTV sometime before he died. That seems like such a long time ago now.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Summary of this threads posts:

"LOLZ GUISE, NEW MUSIC SUX!!1 BUT OURS DOESNT CUZ WE LIEK IT!1 WERE TOTALLY NAWT HYPOCRITES, RITE?!?!?!?!"

I don't like mainstream music, but other people do. Get over it.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Wow. Way to totally ruin a thread by immaturely spouting off instead of posting an actual reason for your disagreement.
This.

Also, what people are saying isn't hypocritical. They liked mainstream music from past decades, and they hate current mainstream. How is that contradictory? Now, hatingmainstream music because it's mainstream, yet liking mainstream bands from the past would be hypocritical. That is not the case here.

diabetic_yoshi

Smash Apprentice
I loved Ace of Base! I also liked Alanis, B52's, U2, RHCPs from that decade. They all have new stuff, but not nearly as good a decade ago. Though I will admit some of today's mainstream IS good. I still like....... Matchbox Twenty?

Azuro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THTB614
I've gone back to classic hip-hop and R&B, since I just don't enjoy the new music these days. Hell, I've even taken up drum n' bass and techno.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
I couldn't care less for the new music our kids listen to today, BUT whenever I listen to oldies (LOVE them), then I guess I feel old :/ Because I don't know many who like them just as much as me, at least in MY age (19 btw). I'm also getting laughed at for liking classical music for crying out loud! But I don't really care if I feel old or when someone mocks me, I'm just the type that listens to any kind of music...which is good, so I'll never feel bothered whenever there is music around ;)

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
The markets bigger now, chances are if you release something someone will like it no matter how hard it sucks.

P-Wubbs

Smash Apprentice
Yahoo released the 25 worst rappers of all-time, and I couldn't help but laugh at a lot of the people that were included on the list.

Nelly, Puff Daddy, MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice (this one did not surprise me), Will Smith were all included. I am not into rap, but I know most of these guys were/are main streamers. What I can't figure out is if these names are on the worst list, just who would be the best.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/2977/the-25-worst-rappers-of-all-time

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
What I can't figure out is if these names are on the worst list, just who would be the best.
That looks like a pretty legit list to me. And for a best of list, it would probably consist of Jay-Z, Nas, Biggie, Rakim, 2Pac, KRS-One, Common, Ice Cube, Chuck D, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, et al. But a list like that is always something that people will disagree about.

And as far as feeling older after listening to mainstream music...no, I don't feel older. In fact, what music I'm listening to as absolutely no effect on my self awareness. Although, I will admit that I'm not really sure who the biggest bands or artists out there, according to MTV, are these days. I pretty much stopped paying any attention to mainstream music outlets 6 or 7 years ago. My little sister loves Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus, but listening to her songs doesn't make me feel any older.

And I'm not really sure how listening to music that came out 10, 20, 30± years ago makes you feel older. I regularly bounce back and forth between music from the 60's or earlier and music that came out last week.

NG7

Smash Lord
I thought you were supposed to feel cooler when you liked old things.

P-Wubbs

Smash Apprentice
You only feel cooler when you had already realized you were old. But, when you think you are young and realize you like old things, then it is the first time you realize you are old.

Top Bottom