• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone above 1.8mil gsp use joycon?

peertopeersucks

Smash Rookie
Hi, i purchased a switch just for this game, i like the game but i am struggling to get out of the 1.8 mil gsp zone. I use the default joycons that came with the switch, i have a gamecube controller but am waiting for the adapter to come in the mail. I was wondering if anyone around this gsp or significantly higher was actively using joycons. In my opinion they feel like cheap chinese garbage, sometimes i will do an upsmash by perfectly pushing the joystick upwards, completely flush on the axis, but i will get a forward smash instead. I also notice input lag sometimes ( not just online mode). The overall room to work with to perform short hops is just garbage and outcomes will feel very inconsistent.

I just want to know if there is anyone that is a decently higher gsp and using the joycons easily, so i know if im just bad or not.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
All the controllers have some amount of input lag. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the wireless controllers like the JoyCons and Pro Controllers have the least amount of input lag in the game, due to connecting directly to the Switch. The wired cheaper pro controllers have some more cause the wire connects to the dock then sends the inputs to the switch. Which then leaves the gamecube controller which actually has the most input lag due to the controller having to connect to the adaptor which goes to the dock then to the switch.

Anyways, most people reccommend either the wireless pro controller or the gamecube controller despite its delay. Though its ultimately your choice if you feel you get better results on the joycons at the end of the day.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The only difference between controllers in manual dexterity and button layouts. But no one should be using a single joy con.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
The joycons do have issues with directional input when trying to land upsmash I noticed.

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
All the controllers have some amount of input lag. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the wireless controllers like the JoyCons and Pro Controllers have the least amount of input lag in the game, due to connecting directly to the Switch. The wired cheaper pro controllers have some more cause the wire connects to the dock then sends the inputs to the switch. Which then leaves the gamecube controller which actually has the most input lag due to the controller having to connect to the adaptor which goes to the dock then to the switch.

Anyways, most people reccommend either the wireless pro controller or the gamecube controller despite its delay. Though its ultimately your choice if you feel you get better results on the joycons at the end of the day.
this is incorrect. gamecube controllers has 1 less frame of input lag than the wireless pro controllers about 14% of the time, and wired pro controllers have even more input lag than wireless pro controllers, around 2 frames or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbgQdM6TcEM

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I use joycons and am at this level, gonna buy the pro controller pretty soon

I think the joycons are pretty okay but certain inputs (like some b reverse stuff) feel really funky, and I don't really feel comfortable mashing on my main joycons.

Last edited:

Mooer

Smash Cadet
The only difference between controllers in manual dexterity and button layouts. But no one should be using a single joy con.
I don't think anyone should seriously be considering using a single joy con competitively. However, I frequently try online and with friends just for kicks and it is honestly quite nice to play with, especially due to the new move buffering mechanic and smash attack shortcut. I find it's really only viable with tap jump off and the layout changed a little, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

fatbutlerdude

Smash Rookie
im pretty late to this but I use a single joycon most of the time and am planning on using it competitively even if it feels a lil funky the only thing change is turning the two jump buttons into shield and grab and changing stick sensitivity to low other than that I don't often find myself changing any of the layout

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I got into Elite Smash at ~3.8 million GSP in mobile mode, with the joycons on each side of the tablet. Other characters are up to 3.6 or so that way.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
My mains are around 3.5 mil. I got over 3 mil playing dual joycons with the grip but just got a pro controller this past Saturday, and I'm never going back for Smash Ultimate. The thing I couldn't get past with the dual joycons was just how easy it is to accidentally input one of the triggers. I could just brush the edge of the trigger accidentally and it would input. The pro controller presented an immediate improvement, I've adjusted to the buttons and sticks very quickly, and I'm quite satisfied.

Top Bottom