• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anybody else want Slippy Toad in?

Slippy Toad for Smash DLC/Smash 5/6?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old_Manondorf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0361-8670-5517
I mean think about it, Slippy Toad would be a perfect candidate. We have Fox and Falco, two similar yet different characters. We need a Starfox rep that is more different than any other clone. Instead of Falco Phantasm, he just kinda trips and slides across the map. He obviously has a shine, but his blaster could do something like move him back a bit so it could be used for recovery. His UpB could be like the Fire Bird except he blows himself up in the direction that you're point in.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I highly doubt it.

And about Slippy having more prominence than Krystal? HAW! Slippy's never been canonically playable, and would be a huge *** clone.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Slippy would be great just for how it'd piss off whiny fans who take things too seriously. Plus "fat and awkward" is an interesting angle for a space animal.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Isn't there already a Slippy thread? Anyway, I've always thought that Slippy should be the next Star Fox character in-line for playability. He's no less prominent than Falco is in-series, and in fact, he's probably even more popular and iconic due to his memetic status as one of gaming's most annoying characters. In my opinion, any publicity is good publicity, and I think Slippy deserves it. I'd like him to have a new moveset making use of the over-the-top gadgets and weapons in games like Assault.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Isn't there already a Slippy thread? Anyway, I've always thought that Slippy should be the next Star Fox character in-line for playability. He's no less prominent than Falco is in-series, and in fact, he's probably even more popular and iconic due to his memetic status as one of gaming's most annoying characters. In my opinion, any publicity is good publicity, and I think Slippy deserves it. I'd like him to have a new moveset making use of the over-the-top gadgets and weapons in games like Assault.
No, Slippy would be a clone. Sakurai would go for someone more unique like Krystal. (Hence her staff)

And yes, I remember seeing a Slippy thread, but the mods haven't unlocked it yet.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
No, Slippy would be a clone. Sakurai would go for someone more unique like Krystal. (Hence her staff)

And yes, I remember seeing a Slippy thread, but the mods haven't unlocked it yet.
Just like Rosalina would be a Peach clone, and how Ganondorf would have a unique moveset, right? People always assume these things, but they are shown otherwise time and again.

The only Star Fox clone so far has been Falco (Wolf is so different from Fox that they're hardly comparable). Slippy has just as much precedent as Krystal to be either a clone or unique. In fact, I'd say he'd be more likely to be unique, by virtue of being built completely differently from Fox and Falco. Krystal can easily be a Fox clone due to her similar build and access to the same weapons everyone else on the team has. Just because she has a staff, doesn't mean she'd use it, just as Ganondorf doesn't use his sword. It doesn't help that Smash Bros. largely ignores content from Star Fox Adventures.

I do think Krystal would be more likely, though, due to her having a larger fanbase and Sakurai seemingly wanting to include more female characters.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Even if he is a clone, I think Slippy would have plenty to set him apart. He's the awkward, goofy member of the Star Fox team, and could possibly give a Luigi-like twist to the Space Animal set. Things like his reflector slipping out of his hand and shooting upwards, or as mentioned in the OP tripping and sliding across the ground (or going diagonally down in midair) when he tries to use an Illusion.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I think he'd be hilarious as a character who fails his way to victory

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Hell yes I want Slippy! I don't know why my support thread is locked while all the other threads aren't.

I highly doubt it.

And about Slippy having more prominence than Krystal? HAW! Slippy's never been canonically playable, and would be a huge *** clone.
Confirmed for never playing a Star Fox game. Slippy's been playable in both versions of Star Fox 64 and Assault's multiplayer (and arguably the best character stats wise). Also how does Krystal have more prominence than Slippy if she barely did anything important from the games she appeared in? Slippy is the mechanic of the team, which I shouldn't need to explain why this very important to their job and lifestyle, and he's Fox's best and childhood friend. Krystal's only playable for almost ten minutes in Adventures if you speed run and she ironically gets trapped in a crystal for the rest of the game. In Assault she's only playable in multiplayer and she had one small moment with Fox on Sauria. Her telepathy is pointless in a series where sensor technology is a basic requirement like those small maps you have on screen, remember those?

As far as the clone part I think we can all agree that him being a Fox clone would be the least likely option because Slippy wouldn't be moving with very fast attack animations and fighting style. Falco is even less likely. What Sakurai would most likely do if he wanted him as a clone is make him a Dan Hibiki-fied version of Snake. This makes the most sense because they both are mercenaries, use similar equipment (grenades, rocket launchers, mines, recovery that hovers them), and the biggest thing Sakurai already set up for us in Brawl when Snake wanted Slippy to design a weapon for him after they gave each other advice on weapon versatility. Slippy is the furry Otacon in Smash Bros without the horrible track record with women.

Slippy does have move set potential as well. He would just use the weapons from Assault and tools like his wrench and screwdriver since he is the mechanic of the team. If he's a clone or not he'll still have an accurate move set which is still something that :4ganondorf: will unfortunately never have. So don't claim Slippy can't be unique if you can't back up your argument because I can.

http://smashboards.com/threads/enemy-shield-analyzed-the-slippy-toad-support-thread.328528/

Then there's Sakurai choosing which characters he wants to be unique so that's another going for any newcomer.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Hell yes I want Slippy! I don't know why my support thread is locked while all the other threads aren't.

Confirmed for never playing a Star Fox game. Slippy's been playable in both versions of Star Fox 64 and Assault's multiplayer (and arguably the best character stats wise). Also how does Krystal have more prominence than Slippy if she barely did anything important from the games she appeared in? Slippy is the mechanic of the team, which I shouldn't need to explain why this very important to their job and lifestyle, and he's Fox's best and childhood friend. Krystal's only playable for almost ten minutes in Adventures if you speed run and she ironically gets trapped in a crystal for the rest of the game. In Assault she's only playable in multiplayer and she had one small moment with Fox on Sauria. Her telepathy is pointless in a series where sensor technology is a basic requirement like those small maps you have on screen, remember those?

As far as the clone part I think we can all agree that him being a Fox clone would be the lest likely option because Slippy wouldn't be moving with very fast attack animations and fighting style. Falco is even less likely. What Sakurai would most likely do if he wanted him as a clone is make him a Dan Hibiki-fied version of Snake. This makes the most sense because they both are mercenaries, use similar equipment (grenades, rocket launchers, mines, recovery that hovers them), and the biggest thing Sakurai already set up for us in Brawl when Snake wanted Slippy to design a weapon for him after they gave each other advice on weapon versatility. Slippy is the furry Otacon in Smash Bros without the horrible track record with women.

Slippy does have move set potential as well. He would just use the weapons from Assault and tools like his wrench and screwdriver since he is the mechanic of the team. If he's a clone or not he'll still have an accurate move set which is still something that :4ganondorf: will unfortunately never have. S don't claim Slippy can't be unique if you can't back up your argument because I can.

http://smashboards.com/threads/enemy-shield-analyzed-the-slippy-toad-support-thread.328528/

Then there's Sakurai choosing which characters he wants to be unique so that's another going for any newcomer.
Multiplayer is NOT CANONICALLY PLAYABLE

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
You'd have to have Peppy Hare, if you have Slippy Toad. Otherwise it's just weird.
That's true. Having the original 4 playable in smash bros is something I've wanted after Smash 64 released. Then we got Falco in Melee even though Sakurai was planning to add Wolf instead of him so I can understand why Wolf had priority over compared to every other SF character. Wolf also had the spotlight in Assault with his team, the redesign and new voice actor, being relevant, and just being a bad ass in general. But now that he was cut I actually would rather see him return as an assist trophy with his team in Arwings trying to shoot you down.

But back to Peppy me and another guy on Smashboards had the idea of Peppy being a mix of Olimar, Rosalina & Luma and Smash 64 Fox.

Peppy would have the moves that Fox doesn't have anymore from SSB64, while for his specials he would have 3 small and different colored Arwing drones based on Fox, Slippy, and Falco's ships that he would give commands for each special as a group. Fox: Yellow, Slippy: Green, and Falco: Blue. All of the Arwings mimic each other when using specials.

Specials:
-Down Special (ALL RANGE MODE): You can place an Arwing at different parts of the stage just by holding B and it will stay there. Press B if you want to call it back. The purpose of this move is for stage control so you can fight with your normal attacks while having the Arwings in different spots of the stage for using your other specials. But if you separate your drones from yourself than your opponent, as well as yourself can break them (with very authentic damage animations from the SF games :troll:). A new one will come back in a few seconds. When the Arwing breaks it'll explode and can kill at high percentage.

-Neutral Special (LASER): Shoots like Fox's laser, but if you hold B it can charge.

-Side Special (BARREL ROLL): Arwings spin horizontally and reflect projectiles.

-Up Special: (SOMERSAULT): Peppy is equipped with the jet pack from Assault and does a slower version of Metaknight's recovery. The Arwings mimic you and your recovery has super armor.

He sound like the ultimate zoning machine and it would fit his character.

Multiplayer is NOT CANONICALLY PLAYABLE
And? What does it matter if a character was canonically playable through the story mode or not? Wolf wasn't and he had priority over Krystal since Melee. I hope this isn't a new argument people are using now for a character's inclusion. Let's not grasp at straws here.

But since you want to go there. Canonically Krystal was only playable for 10 minutes (and for that baby tier Mario Party mini game) before getting trapped in a crystal until the end of the game when she helped you fight Andross. Which is another thing Fox didn't need help fighting Andross since he killed him by himself before. Some jungle girl riding a dinosaur wouldn't stand a chance against Andross by herself.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I always thought Slippy would be far more unique than Krystal. All of the various gadgets and weapons at his disposal would make for a relatively unique moveset, as opposed to the "magic + staff" moveset that Krystal might have, which is mostly covered already by characters like Palutena, and to a lesser extent, Zelda and Robin. Not only in terms of moveset, but also in overall character, Slippy would be more unique. His character design and body shape is different from just about everyone on the roster, and the only other playable amphibian we have is Greninja. His bumbling mannerisms and unsure demeanor could really shine through in his animations, making him rather entertaining just to watch.

Not sure if I'd want Peppy. Would be nice to have some more elderly characters on the roster, though. He and Cranky Kong would make quite a formidable duo.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I'd love to see a Star Fox DLC pack, with Krystal as the main attraction and Wolf, Slippy, and Peppy as bonuses.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Probably going to be similar to a clone in B moves, though he might be more similar to Fox in that respect.

"FOX, GET THIS GUY OFF ME!" He might run a decent speed but I would imagine his smashes to not do that much knockback.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I imagine Slippy being the slowest Star Fox character in terms of dash speed, but with much higher weight and jumping ability, giving him an ironically impressive amount of survivability.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I imagine Slippy being the slowest Star Fox character in terms of dash speed, but with much higher weight and jumping ability, giving him an ironically impressive amount of survivability.
That sounds about right. I can imagine him being the only character that has the tripping mechanic from Brawl as well.

I need to see if a mod can unlock the Slippy thread since the other threads are still alive. Also I might make a Peppy thread tomorrow.

Last edited:

Old_Manondorf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0361-8670-5517

I guarantee Sakurai would make Krystal a clone. Ganondorf, the King of ****ing Evil and the main enemy in the Zelda Series, is a clone. Slippy would be some sort of clone, but like Wolf or Lucas, because Slippy is not very similar to Fox or Falco at all. He's fat and goofy. A character like that would not be a very similar Fox clone.

Last edited:

Mataata

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mataata
3DS FC
2964-8599-6875
Although I'd prefer Krystal, Slippy would be a neat character. Someone who's kind of slow but with a high jump and has lots of gadgets would be really fun to play as. He'd almost be like playing as Snake, actually..

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I guarantee Saqurai would make Krystal a clone. Ganondorf, the King of ****ing Evil and the main enemy in the Zelda Series, is a clone. Slippy would be some sort of clone, but like Wolf or Lucas, because Slippy is not very similar to Fox or Falco at all. He's fat and goofy. A character like that would not be a very similar Fox clone.
Although I'd prefer Krystal, Slippy would be a neat character. Someone who's kind of slow but with a high jump and has lots of gadgets would be really fun to play as. He'd almost be like playing as Snake, actually..
Besides Snake, Slippy could make a good Mega Man clone. They have the gadgets, slow speed, high jump, short height, and soul less stare. It would be funny to see him use his dash attack and have a short dizzy animation after it instead of being in a pose like Mega Man. Mega Man's move set can easily be re-skinned to be weapons, gadgets, and items from the Star Fox games. Like his fair can be a screwdriver or a wrench instead of the flame sword, as well as his bair. His leaf shield can be the gold or silver rings you fly through for health in the star fox games. Any move that involves him shooting can be his Blaster. The side special could be a Star Fox themed sticky bomb, since Slippy's a mechanic and this is Sakurai's game he can get away with making up something new for a character. Rush (recovery) gets cut for a mini Landmaster. :troll:

Old_Manondorf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0361-8670-5517
Besides Snake, Slippy could make a good Mega Man clone. They have the gadgets, slow speed, high jump, short height, and soul less stare. It would be funny to see him use his dash attack and have a short dizzy animation after it instead of being in a pose like Mega Man. Mega Man's move set can easily be re-skinned to be weapons, gadgets, and items from the Star Fox games. Like his fair can be a screwdriver or a wrench instead of the flame sword, as well as his bair. His leaf shield can be the gold or silver rings you fly through for health in the star fox games. Any move that involves him shooting can be his Blaster. The side special could be a Star Fox themed sticky bomb, since Slippy's a mechanic and this is Sakurai's game he can get away with making up something new for a character. Rush (recovery) gets cut for a mini Landmaster. :troll:
Megamans Dash woujld be perfect for Slippy. As for the Down-B I think he'd have to have the Shine, but make it better (since he's a mechanic) or have him drop it (since he's goofy). Clearly he has the blaster, but it could push him back everytime he shoots it, that way it could be used for recovery. I think it'd be funny if his Illusion kinda went up like Wolf's but launched him into the ground into a slide, damaging opponents in his way. I think his up B could either be a mini Landmaster/Arwing or have himself just explode (sort of like when Ness hits himself with PK Thunder) All his smashs and tilts could involve tools. Slippy 4 Smash

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I guarantee Sakurai would make Krystal a clone. Ganondorf, the King of ****ing Evil and the main enemy in the Zelda Series, is a clone. Slippy would be some sort of clone, but like Wolf or Lucas, because Slippy is not very similar to Fox or Falco at all. He's fat and goofy. A character like that would not be a very similar Fox clone.
You completely ignore the fact that Krystal would have an entire unique moveset with her staff, don't you? That's like saying Robin would be a clone of Marth. LAUGHABLE!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
You completely ignore the fact that Krystal would have an entire unique moveset with her staff, don't you? That's like saying Robin would be a clone of Marth. LAUGHABLE!
Anyone can have a unique move set. That's where creativity and effort comes into play. Just because she has a staff doesn't mean she would be safe from being a clone or even use it. Someone has already proven that she could be a Fox clone with the staff in the Krystal thread. And she could also end up as a Palutena clone or character alt skin for her. And before "muh fighting styles and different weapons" gets brought up, yes, she could fight just like her even if Palutena and Krystal have different kind of staffs. It's not hard to imagine how it would work. That's the only way I see her or any other Star Fox newcomer becoming DLC that's not Wolf, who would be a returning veteran with his own slot on the roster.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I imagine Slippy using the tried and true Blaster for his neutral special, but how about making it function like in Star Fox: Assault? Slippy could charge the blaster to increase its projectile size and strength by holding the special button before releasing it; Fox has a similar move for one of his customs. Slippy would also be able to run and jump while charging shots, giving it more versatility than the traditional Blasters in Smash.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I imagine Slippy using the tried and true Blaster for his neutral special, but how about making it function like in Star Fox: Assault? Slippy could charge the blaster to increase its projectile size and strength by holding the special button before releasing it; Fox has a similar move for one of his customs. Slippy would also be able to run and jump while charging shots, giving it more versatility than the traditional Blasters in Smash.
It would be good to have some variety if Slippy was going to have similar weapons as the other Star Fox characters in smash. It would've made sense for Fox to have a Blaster like that as a default but it also makes sense for Slippy as well for being the guy who made his weapons, and possibly using his specials with more versatility after that conversation with Snake in Brawl.

Old_Manondorf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0361-8670-5517
Doesn't Dark Pit have a staff? Where the **** is that in his moveset?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Krystal's staff makes Dark Pit's staff look like a dead tree branch. Go play StarFox Adventures and you'll see what I mean.
You mean the staff that she barely used that's not comparable to the technology introduced to the series as a whole? Her staff would be better as a new melee item. Or just make it a trophy like Dark Pit's.

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
Star Fox Adventures blows. Like the other guy said, she could easily be a Palutena clone.
Have you played it? Why the hell are we all against each other in the first place? In the end we all represent the same game. We both know slippy would be a cool addition just an unlikely one do to Wolf and Krystal over shadowing with popularity. If it didn't come to popularity and it came to moveset potential then yes I will agree that Slippy would be more unique then wolf. Him and Krystal would be in the same category.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I'm baffled at how the developers behind each game aren't blamed for the poor decisions made.

Instead, it seems like everyone blames the characters. Heh, as if the characters made the games...

Guess it's not worth it talking about Adventures, though. That game is 12 years after the fact. It's not like you're gonna change Miyamoto's mind about something he's done wrong that many years ago. Even if it is true that he took Krystal out of the prominent role that she had in Dinosaur Planet.

Sometimes I think Star Fox would be better off in the hands of someone who wasn't as restrictive.

You want to know why Krystal is such a... restricted and dumbed-down character? Ask Miyamoto. Hell if I know.

But yeah, I think Slippy could be interesting in Smash.

But that's all it is. All of these characters have potential. There's no way we can know that any of them would bring their potential, though. That's up to Sakurai and his team.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Star Fox Adventures blows. Like the other guy said, she could easily be a Palutena clone.
I thought it was a decent Zelda clone but it was a bad Star Fox game. But yeah Krystal's animations don't need to be the same in order for her to be a Palutena clone. If the hit boxes are the same then her animations can look slightly different or reskinned so it doesn't look awkward. Like Dsmash and Fsmash can just be earthquake moves and get rid of the wings. Reflect can be a barrier she shoots out from her staff. Her neutral special can be her shooting fire out of it. And her teleport would just be her Fox Illusion without her disappearing.

You see, making her a Palutena clone wasn't hard at all. Maybe people just refuse to actually consider the possibility. But honestly Krystal's only chance at this point is being a character alt of a character on the roster. It doesn't have to be Palutena, take your pick Krystal fans. I mean if you are going to market Star Fox Wii U with a character from the series, why the hell would you pick a character that barely contributed much to the series over :wolf:a veteran that's already been in smash bros, was planned for Melee, stole the spotlight in Assault, and is just a complete likable badass? You can't use the "Unique" card because anyone can be unique just as anyone can be a clone with an inaccurate as **** move set like Ganondorf. And with her staff she could be a Fox AND a Palutena clone.

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Why are we talking about Krystal in the Slippy thread?

I think the choice between Wolf, Slippy, and Krystal really comes down to who has a bigger role in the upcoming Star Fox game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom