• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DoDu Tournament - Salem, Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
I got fuxed in brackets :< :< :<
I don't do shoutouts so it was nice to meet/play WA and Duke and Nexus and everyone else in Oregon I met that day.

sanity

Smash Rookie
It was great playing and seeing you peoples play, i was totally blown away by eggz, ka-master,silentwolf, and dj combo. Timmy and Tommy were amazing too, and thanks for the advice I think it will help me out.
I hope i get to play everyone from washington at the next tourni you guys come to in oregon.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Also wtf @:

Tommy said:
Ronin: I don't know how you did it, but you gave me the most difficulty in low-tiers. ...etc etc johns for "sandbagging"...

Kefka: It was nice having you with us again. I haven't really hung out with you for a while. And your choice in music in the car was kind of questionable at times, but for the most part was good. I'm all for video game music and techno, just that sometimes I was wondering if I was listening to music or a sound test for a game. Heh heh.
Don't play with Sam so much when you go to a tourney. But anyways, always happy when you show up.
You did NOT just say that about Sam + Aphex Twin in the same post girl. Good gracious.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
He didn't say it was bad, just that it sounded like a sound test for a game, at times. Which it did. (Just to note, I liked Aphex Twin but I'm still wondering what an "aphex" is).

Thryx

Smash Apprentice
I would enter the tourney it' s just the fact that I don't own a GameCube. Also I'd would prefer if the setup was better maybe I'll do it since I always be the first one there.

EDIT: We should have just an Oregon training session so we can look down on Washington in the near future. ;P

cmin

Smash Ace
most likely not gonna happen unless silent wolf gets eaten by a polar bear, or ka master is mauled by an eagle

Thryx

Smash Apprentice
Or we sabotage their play. I'm sure we can beat then 1% of the time well not me but some of you. They have polar bears in Washington?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yeah, and Igloos. But I bet a killer whale gets Otto before a polar bear does.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
lol wtf. What you need is to play lots of people who are better than you. Preferrably outof state. It's your job to make friends and play friendlies with them, because chances are they're pretty cool cats anyway. Not the tournament's fault. If you have a car then carpool to the next tournament in WA or CA and don't be shy, be thinking actively and blah blah blah.
Another thing is to wait for local smashfests(not necessarily tournament oriented but it can be setup that way, like SFE) to happen. I'll throw one at my place in Eugene sometime soon and post when it's going down.

Thryx

Smash Apprentice
Um just about everyone in Oregon is better than me. You don't necessarily need play against better people to get better.

Rage.

Smash Ace
Um just about everyone in Oregon is better than me. Necessarily you don't need play against better people to get better.
Yes you do.
you need to play other people for experience in diffrent things.
practicing and fighting are way diffrent

Thryx

Smash Apprentice
Well to me you don't need out of state people like he recommended. Also the games I play you don't actually need better adversaries to play against there are many ways to get better winning is just one.

Thryx

Smash Apprentice
Indeed it does. Just most of the time people become major sore loser.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Ok, you guys havn't picked up on it but he has been alluding to Halo the whole time.

Ryan, Super Smash Bros is different than Halo. You can't get really good just by playing by yourself. In Halo you can memorize maps, practice sniping, shooting, moving ect. by yourself. But in melee you can't do that in melee since what your opponent does in melee has more of a direct influence on how you play.

Thryx

Smash Apprentice
Actually most players in Halo and I'm talking about professionals the level of their skill and their strategy towards their play will determine your success or failure in that match.

cmin

Smash Ace
Well to me you don't need out of state people like he recommended. Also the games I play you don't actually need better adversaries to play against there are many ways to get better winning is just one.
The games you play.. except smash. Listen to the veterens of Oregon dude, you definnately need to practice with different/better people.

1. The meta game in smash is completely different than any other game you probably play

2. Playing with the same friends over and over, while does improve your tech skill, does not improve your overall mindgames, especially if they are all scrubby

3. There is only 1 exception to the above, his name is MCS who plays with a computer level 9 as frequent as i do homework (once a month)

4. But you are not MCS, so go play other people

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Smash and halo have the same concept though on how you need other people to become better. Because if you just sit there and play campaign mode all day you're going to suck in a 1 v 1 against an acutal person because they think of what they are going to do and you have to try to predict what they are going to do just like in smash where if you fight a lvl 9 computer all day you won't be able to beat my friends little brother, this is because you have to get used to predicting people and get used to different play styles. Once the online brawl comes out though you will start to see a lot more of the same play style and the smash community is going to go to hell just like the halo community. Oregon Stay Cool For Brawl!!!

cmin

Smash Ace
Is online brawl confirmed or anything?

IMO if there is any slight lag due to connection problem, and i mean any at all even by 1 frame, the game would be unplayable online. Thus, we resort to traveling great lengths to play which i kinda of like this way its an effort to see play and see people. And makes it much more worth it when you play next to the person

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Yea I prefer that too because then the people are also much nicer unlike the halo people you get on say what's up to a random guy and he's all like STFU and GET OUTA MY GRILL DAWG GRRR. lol but I believe online brawl is confirmed. Which will make it a lot easier to smash with people.

Jem.

Smash Master
Yes, the Halo community sure is corrupt. People making $250,000 a year for being good. MAN, that sounds so corrupt and bad, why would I want to make that much money.
P.S: The people of it are fine, just do a little too much **** talking. But you have to be confident to win.

Thryx

Smash Apprentice
In all of my comments that are towards getting better I don't say you can't get better with playing with a variety of people I say you don't necessarily need them. Also the game has no effect of determining how professionals will act against their fans. Anyone can say STFU get out of my WAY! Also they don't even talk that much trash and the people they talk it to know that it's a joke. Also how would making money from playing a video game corrupt? It's just another job.

Also the Halo community is not going to hell seeing it has more fame than Smash and probably always will until they stop making the franchise.

Thryx

Smash Apprentice
Well then point out to me what doesn't make any sense to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom