• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doc's Ike

tocador

Smash Lord
First im here just to post some vid's of a GREAT ike player from my country,(brazil) his name is Doc, and hes playing consistently at top 5 in preety much all the championships he participates. And from my acknowlage he dont use any seconds in his champs!

Here are some great vids from him playing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwgDBka2aS8&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abWiiqykTw8&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LEkG6Y3Uf0&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zq41cQqVi8&feature=channel_page

And here is a link to a person wich have lot's of his matches(Doc):
http://www.youtube.com/user/1HotSmash

In my humble oppinion, hes a great ike, and i can bet my house that noone ever heard of him cause hes from another country! I mainly just wanted to share this with the Ike comunity o/!

And second, sorry if ther's a specific thread to post this, but im lazy/dumb and i couldn't find it, so i understand if you guys need to close this thread =/.

metroid1117

Smash Master
From what I've seen of the first three videos, Doc plays a good Ike but takes some unnecessary risks. Walk-off FAir, for example, isn't a very good edgeguarding method, especially against Marths; if you miss, you're going to get edgehogged unless you timed your FAir precisely so that you can land on the very tip of the stage. Even if you hit them, a good player can just DI upwards and then edgehog you when you try to recover. It's bad against Marth specifically because his up+B has invincibility frames from 1-5 and it shouldn't be hard to see/hear the FAir coming. If you get hit, you'll either have to try and tech against the stage or just hope you DI'd upwards enough to avoid that. Doc also doesn't jab cancel from the first hit of the jab combo, preferring to cancel the second hit. While it does more damage, it gives opponents more time to break out of it; jab -> jab is a guaranteed combo, whereas jab -> kick -> jab isn't. It's also not smart to attempt jab cancels against Marth, since he can use up+B to break out of it if you screw up. Doc also NEVER aggressively edgehogged in any of the matches I watched; most of the time he either stood on the stage and let them get back or went for the walk-off FAir. Edgehogging Marth or any character is a valuable tactic because it lets you tag on free damage with a FAir, NAir, or Aether if they don't die from it. Other than that, I was pleased to see Ike being represented in Brazil.

tocador

Smash Lord
K thanks for the criticism(although im not Doc, im a big fan of him). Ussualy Doc do more of the Jab cancels to mislascenous technics and edgeguard more oftenly, but this case, it was a Grand Final of a regional championship, and maybe he had some pressure going for him xP! But there are some vids, of him not playing like a GF, that hes just so WTFOX that you think Ike > Mk!

And one thing i always admire from him, he is really good and changin play styles during matches, and knows how to read you like a book :D!

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Hey, do you guys post the tournament results on a site somewhere? Because if you do that, and have at least 15 people in your tournament along with an entrance fee, you could post your tournament results in the tournament topic under the Character Rankings List topic.

I only watched the first match, I must say I'm surprised an Ike can win on Jungle Japes. O_o

On the other hand, I don't think I saw Doc go for a spike once. The points about edgeguarding and jab canceling were already made, but I am surprised at the lack of spikes. Most Ikes go for them at least a few times in a match...

Do you know if he knows about Ike's grab releases? They could help his game a bit.

He has really good spacing and reading ability from the one match I watched. He knew what that Marth was going to do most of the time.

tocador

Smash Lord
I dont have the champs status now, but i could ask people who has it! But i can guarantee you it had more then 30 people in the champ!

Yeah, i dont know if he knows about the grab release stuff, but i could mention this to him if i had a chance once, you know, i dont live in the same state as him xP!

And i think he dosen't go for the spikes, mainly because of some what the pressure, but he really prefers the Fair/Nair edgeguard! I think tho, he should try to do some mix up with Spike and Fair edgeguard, 'cause it really gets predictable the Fair edgeguard!

Top Bottom