• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doc in or out? What's your opinion!

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen on these forums clones are more or less the most despised characters, with Doc right at the top of the drop list (though I'd rather pichu went first),

(Doc --> Dr. Mario)

So, since for some reason I can't poll y'all I thought I'd just put up this thread (as I'm sure it will spark a lot of replies most of which will probably be negative)

Which of the following would you like to see happen in Brawl?

1. Doc's dropped

2. Doc comes back as his own unlockable character

3. Doc becomes an alternate costume to Mario (complete w/ pills)

4. Doc just shows up in Cameo.

All opinions are welcome but if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all!

fatjellomilo

Smash Rookie
i picked up Doc a few months ago, and I'm hoping he returns...so #2
#3 would be cool if they could pull it off too

but im guessing he gets dropped due to the fact that there are so many mario characters they could use instead :(

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Why? He's the cloniest of all clones, and he's even the complete same person as Mario. No, I can't see Doc returning at all. He's basically the most likely character to be removed. Surely you can also laugh and point your finger to Sheik, Roy, Pichu and Young Link players, but the doctor is even more likely to leave from those.

takieddine

Smash Master
sure he's annoying, but why would he go? Lot of doc players, plus he's not a complete clone...he does have a different game than Mario.

#2.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah but they're completely the same PERSON. Sure in Melee they might have a few different moves, but from all characters they're the most alike. Also, there are even more Sheik players out there, yet she's very very likely to get removed too.

Dr.Mario shouldn't even have been in Melee... >_>; Be happy if they make him an constume for Mario, since otherwise he won't return.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I main as Mario and Dr. Mario and , like most Mario players, I enjoy the option of choosing which Mario I prefer. However, Doc is not important enough to be guaranteed a spot on the roster with greats like Mario, Link and Solid Snake. He's a cool, obscure character, and his time in Smash has regretfully past.

Maybe Paper Mario will make it as the new Mario clone...

Tera253

Smash Ace
but then if Bowser used his fire on him, he'd fry to a criaps right away.
Doc should return #2.
and, this whole alternate costume characters w/ clone-style moves is gay. Tera' going to start a rant iun a few minutes.
long story short:
Doc. Must. Return.
~Tera253~

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I'd like Doc as an alternate costume for Mario, complete with pills and a different taunt. Everything that's not appearance based should remain the same, such as weight, moveset, lag, shield, etc..

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
i would really like to see #2 but seeing in that he was a clone in the last game they might just drop him or put him as an alternate costume for Mario (without the pills)

Micahc

Smash Ace
Doc as a costume, with pill effects (just the look), why not? Doc as a separate character? Maybe...

I

i8waffles612

because there are so many other mario characters who deserve a spot in brawl...

hes just a mario w/ pills...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
#1 Why? He's the cloniest of all clones, and he's even the complete same person as Mario. No, I can't see Doc returning at all. He's basically the most likely character to be removed. Surely you can also laugh and point your finger to Sheik, Roy, Pichu and Young Link players, but the doctor is even more likely to leave from those.

I main as Mario and Dr. Mario and , like most Mario players, I enjoy the option of choosing which Mario I prefer. However, Doc is not important enough to be guaranteed a spot on the roster with greats like Mario, Link and Solid Snake. He's a cool, obscure character, and his time in Smash has regretfully past.

Both of these gents prove strong points, Grim.

I personally think the Doc is going to be dropped from the roster altogether. He was, indeed, the closest thing to a "pure" clone as it can get; there were a couple of minor variations in weight, traction, and moveset, but him and Mario were practically the same in all respects. Plus, he is a very obscure figure in the Nintendo franchise and has not seen very much in the way of the limelight. Adding the Doc in Brawl would be an exercise in repetition and non-importance.

It sucks to see the Doc go (there are a alot of Smash memories that I associate with the good ol' Doc), but it is gonna happen.

Smooth Criminal

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
Lol, smooth the way you said that it sounds like the Doc is dying on his deathbed!

Like, okay everyone let's have a funeral for the doc now so we can all weep and stuff T_T : ( ----> :'(

D

Deleted member

He was a one time thing. He should have his own stage dedicated to him, but as a character he was a heavy Mario with a lighter shade of paint.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Doc is basically the exact same as Mario, only more power. The only real differece between the two is their Fair. Now the Brawl Mario's Fair looks like a combination of the two, Doc's pretty much a goner. Besides, people talked about Mario's lack of KO power, OMG give Doc's smash power to Mario. Either that or Docs power might be headed towards Wario.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wario should be even stronger than Dr.Mario. I would say he should be a tad weaker than DK, which would be on par with C.Falcon and Link perhaps?

Anyways, I say Doc SHOULD be gone. Why even keep him while even if he would return he'd play nothing like his Melee self? Ditch him and give Mario his Fair, which basically already happened.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
I personaly believe that when Sakurai announced that some characters wouldn't return he meant Dr. Mario and Pichu specifically.

There's nothing really wrong with the Dr. as such, but think about it. Everything he has that differentiates him from regular Mario is very subtle. All his fighting differences are unbelievably slight, and since characters will aquire changes on the way to Brawl anyway count for nothing. It's very possible that Mario in Brawl is far stronger and heavier than Dr. Mario in melee, so wanting to see him return because of his fighting advantage makes no sense.
And if it's just the cosmetic differences... well, I don't see the need for an extra character slot to be wasted on what could be an alternate costume. There're more visual differences between regular Link and Link in the Zora armor than there is between Mario and Dr. Mario.

Botom line is that Dr. Mario does have some good stuff to bring to the table, but nothing that requires the use of a character slot to get in.

Tera253

Smash Ace
I don't wish, I'm just stating the facts. :p
prove it. you know nothing more than the rest of us, assuming you know anything at all.
USA>(knows more than)>Netherlands
that aside...

if you really do know, tell us if Roy and Young Link made the cut. they're the ones that are really in danger.
~Tera253~

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Doc was only put in last time as an excuse to add the Dr. Mario music (I'm 99% sure Sakurai says this somewhere in his Melee blog), I don't see it happening again.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
prove it. you know nothing more than the rest of us, assuming you know anything at all.
USA>(knows more than)>Netherlands
that aside...

if you really do know, tell us if Roy and Young Link made the cut. they're the ones that are really in danger.
~Tera253~
No I don't know more about htis game than any of you I know, but anyone with ATLEAST some common sence knows Doc won't return. Only tier whores like yourself want Doc to return, cause you (and a couple of other idiots) assume this game will be Melee 2 which it won't. Even IF Doc would return, he'd play nothing like his Melee-self, so why you'd want him back? Just main the REAL Mario instead of the lame *** doctor who shouldn't even be in Melee in the first place. >_>; Really, what did Dr.Mario add to the roster? Nothing.

Young Link and Roy atleast had a good reason to be in Melee. Young Link was the main hero from Mayora's Mask, and had an important role in OoT - unlike Sheik (who also should be cut after Doc).

Roy was from the new upcomming Fire Emblem game in Japan, the series where pretty much dead after the end of the SNES, so Roy's role was very important. Roy is also still the first character from the GBA FE games Sakurai would pick, because his story made such impact that they made a pre-sequel (or whatever the **** you'd call it >_<) from the game. Also, Roy was in Melee which should atleast give him SOME priority over lets say... Lyn, Ephraim or Eliwood. I say he's still likely to be cut, but if they want a GBA Fire Emblem Lord I think Roy is sitll the best choice.

Young Link returned in Zelda The Wind Waker, which was -even though the disapointing graphics for some people- a real GameCube top seller (infact I liked it better than TP but that's just me). It even has a sequel in the making for the DS: Zelda Phantom Hourglas. I think Nintendo is trying to split the series in 2; one realistic part like Twilight Princess and a cartoony cel shaded side like the Wind Waker. So Young Link has a good change to return, only cel shaded and Luigified but atleast he's here.

Dr.Mario is from all clones the least different from the main character. Whereas Link and Young Link have drastic differences in strenght, knockback, weight and speed aswell as lots of moves having different effects Doc and Mario only have small changes like a different working Fair, Doc's Bair having shorter reach but being a little more powerful than Mario's and the pills working better than Mario there's honestly nothing much more different between them. Their stats are also the most close from all characters, they jump just as high, fall just as fast, are almost just as heavy, are both the same height and run almost just as fast. The fact that Doc isn't even a pure clone is only because Sakurai and his team are awesome, but don't expect Doc to return in Brawl since they only added him by time restrics and they liked his music... He doesn't even has his own stage, which is very disapointing since Dr.Mario could easly have some sorta Tetris-like stage... But sadly he doesn't even have it, prooves that Doc shouldn't even be in the game.

Melee was rushed, but Brawl won't, they're taking their time. I bet they pick characters really carefully from now on, and since they confirmed that characters won't return, Dr.Mario will clearly not return.

Besides, the USA has lots of more idiots than the Netherlands could have. Your a living proof. The real order would go like this. USA> the Netherlands> idiots in the USA like yourself.

Doc.Won't.Return.In.Brawl.Period.

spjd

Smash Apprentice
I'd personally love to see him as an alternate costume.
I think it's really cool how they had Daisy as a costume for peach, and I hope they'll take that even further in Brawl. Without overdoing it of course.

I've also been playing with the idea of some feature or just a costume for every character that shows their 'dark side' (seeing as most Nintendo characters have one; "Dark Samus", "Dark Link", "Shadow Mario", "Puppet Zelda"....) But that's probably a time-consuming and really unnecessary feature. Plus every Nintendo character doesn't have one, just most of them.

Fartemup

Smash Journeyman

I personaly believe that when Sakurai announced that some characters wouldn't return he meant Dr. Mario and Pichu specifically.

There's nothing really wrong with the Dr. as such, but think about it. Everything he has that differentiates him from regular Mario is very subtle. All his fighting differences are unbelievably slight, and since characters will aquire changes on the way to Brawl anyway count for nothing. It's very possible that Mario in Brawl is far stronger and heavier than Dr. Mario in melee, so wanting to see him return because of his fighting advantage makes no sense.
And if it's just the cosmetic differences... well, I don't see the need for an extra character slot to be wasted on what could be an alternate costume. There're more visual differences between regular Link and Link in the Zora armor than there is between Mario and Dr. Mario.

Botom line is that Dr. Mario does have some good stuff to bring to the table, but nothing that requires the use of a character slot to get in.
#3 - Exactly, Doc Mario would make a great costume, but as a seperate character, he's really just a waste of character space, besides, a Mario clone like Paper Mario would work perfectly seeing as his attacks (probably) wouldn't be anywhere near AS close.

cb_marth

Smash Ace
Personally I think Doc showing up as another attire would be cool. Wouldn't take up roster space yet people who want to use him can still do so.

Saimdusan

Smash Apprentice
Alternate costume.

He could still have his pills, they would just do the same thing as fireballs (look different, but act the same).

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
Totally agree, like now they're adding Wario (the brawl version doc), maybe even Waluigi too...
Are you seriously comparing Wario and Dr. Mario? Please explain to me how Wario is simply the Mario Clone of Brawl?

Aside from the fact that they are both completely different characters, Wario's moveset, which has already been shown to be comepletely original to the Smash Bros. Series, doesnt resemble Mario's moveset in the slightest.

Dr. Mario, as we have previously stated, is Mario with pills.

And you can't even begin to use Waluigi for a basis of ur arguement considering he hasnt been confirmed yet.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
I think he should be an unlockable alternate costume of mario that is like he is in melee.(a little stronger, and a little slower+pills).

Garath331

Smash Apprentice
Mario is going to have a clone. He had one is SSB, he had one in SSBM, and he'll have one in SSBB. Aside from Doc, who will it be?
Mario w/ FLUDD pack?
Metal Mario?
Fire Mario?
Pixel Mario?
Paper Mario?

So maybe Paper Mario. The trouble with that is we've played his games, and we already know his moves. They've quite different from Mario. No cape, no fireballs, and no tornado. So that will probably keep him from being the clone. He may be his own character, or he could be an A-move clone with all new B-moves.

As a side note, Paper Mario is just a different art style of Mario. Just like Cel Shaded Link is the same as regular link, but in a different art style. Perhaps there will be a Windwaker stage rather where everyone is cell shaded rather than one character being cell shaded.

And as long as I'm rolling with side thoughts, Young Link should be avaliable from the start, and Adult Link should be unlocked. I mean, Adult Link's only been in two games.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
To everyone saying he should be a costume because he'd waste character space if he were in the roster:

I'm no video game coding expert, but wouldn't adding a whole seperate costume take almost as much time/space in the game as making him a seperate character? I mean, you still have to add basically a whole different character with a whole different look, a different taunt, and a different 'B' attack. If you go through all that you might as well make him a different character, and just modify his weight/pills/whatever else and make him a clone.

Top Bottom