• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doc Advice please!

NessySmashBros

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I've just started to use Doc and I want some advice. I was playing some friend the other day and I was playing my friends Marth. I found it hard to approach it. His F-Tilt just kills the Pills, and keeps me away. Is there a good way to get round him?

I have some videos here, some are long because I just took my time to get to him so I wouldn't get killed.

Video 1 (This one wasn't too bad, because this was before he started going slow and just tilting mah moves)
Video 2
Video 3 (Still need to upload, but this is the worst one)

Also if you could tell me generally what I'm doing wrong with Doc that would be great ^_^ Thanks all.

mallu000

Smash Cadet
Just watched a part of the third vid until youtube freezed but with my experience I can say that you should doublejump less and use platform wavedash rather than just jumping away/towards. Against Marth you should throw pills only from a safe distance since he's quite fast and can punish you with some gay moves. Use wavedash and N-air more generally.

I'm not really good with Doc myself but I have some Marth experience. Of course you should read SmashMac's matchup guide for some good info.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=115319

GH4D

Smash Cadet
Just watched a part of the third vid until youtube freezed but with my experience I can say that you should doublejump less and use platform wavedash rather than just jumping away/towards. Against Marth you should throw pills only from a safe distance since he's quite fast and can punish you with some gay moves. Use wavedash and N-air more generally.

I'm not really good with Doc myself but I have some Marth experience. Of course you should read SmashMac's matchup guide for some good info.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=115319
Word up jeezy

young wus

Smash Journeyman
Ur doc so be more faster, less rolling and more wavedashing.

also, i couldn't help 2 notice that on 5:48 on the 1st vid. dont use the neutral u should have used ur up air 4 a combo.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
Yo you've got a couple problems I see with alot of docs (myself SUPER included), I'll list em

-Not enough variety out of shield (pick up WD, Upsmash, Nair, Up-B (cancel?) out of shield)

-Not enough variety in pillgame (Mix standing, DJ, FJ, and wavelanded pills)

-Poor mobility (especially against marth, you gotta be moving more. Your amigo didnt capitalize on this, but that doesnt make it okay. Waveland stuff, wavedash around, fake him into whiffing an Fsmash.. y'know.)

-Too much DJing (I dont see this much, but.. yeah. He coulda gimped you a bajillion ways there)
-Too much Fairing (this is FAIR(LOL)ly common. Dont chase people with such a punishable move. Use it when they can't avoid it, or when the timing/spacing is perfect. I know its fun as sh*t, but you're throwing it out too much and your partner should be punishing you)

-Learn your throws (I saw you Upthrowing marth there.. uh.. generally don't do that. He needs to get Downthrowed if anything.

-Learn your throw combos (Do something out of your throws. Dthrow-->FJ dair works pretty good to rack up damage on most floatier dudes, in my experience works decently against marth at mid %)

-British Accent (Come ON : | Srsly. )

So thats all i got for now. Sorry if its not much, but... some things to keep in mind!

Hope it helps!

Spruce

Top Bottom