• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think that Palutena is overpowered?

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Palutena is overpowered because of her moves / attack paterns.
Too overpowered than MEWTWO. Or at least, a replacement for Mewtwo for SSB4.
Anyone agrees?

Tackman91

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tackman91
3DS FC
0259-0399-7980
For the sake of my sanity, I'm gonna pretend I didn't read your post and only read the title of the thread.

I believe there is a limit to some of her attacks since a lot of them have ridiculous range, size and speed. It will be interesting to see how they balance her out.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Yes, clearly she is. This is something we can totally tell with only 20 seconds of gameplay.

Burigu

Smash Ace
I don't know if this is a kind of sarcastic, joke thread but I have hated most of these new threads in the new Palutena subforum

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
Mewtwo... was overpowered?

Wat.
O did you meant Project M?

Wat.

Edit so to kind of be on topic: How are we going to determine what the balance of a character is before anyone has played the game? Eh?

Last edited:

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
She seems to share similar traits and abilities with Marvel Vs Capcom's Dormammu. She's likely to share the same weaknesses.

So, no, she's not overpowered. You're just being judgmental based on a trailer.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
She's about as overpowered as Little Mac, Rosalina, Greninja and Mega Man looked after their trailer. It's designed to show off what the character can do and look fun and interesting. Just wait til the fans get their hands on her to make a real judgment.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Pfft, Palutena, overpowered? Reminds me back when people thought Pit was overpowered in Brawl.

Whatever. Palutena's gonna be one of my mains. And I don't even play competitively.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say that too soon. All the newcomers we have seen so far with their trailers look really powerful.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Yes. Palutena is the best character in the game she is the new Metaknight/Fox/Pikachu.

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
It's too early to say anything, I will say i'm not totally thrilled with the new releases today. Pal looks very stong and Mii looks to be a bit too versatile for competitive play. I agree with Tackman91 in that some of the stuff they showed us have "ridiculous range, size and speed" I think she will be the smash equivalent of a caster that has to space an time her abilities extremely well in order to overcome her terrible movement.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
She seems not that good as close range, and moves like Heavenly light doesn't have knockback. So I won't call her overpowered. In fact, she seems to be quite the opposite of Zelda. Both are defensive, lightweight characters (I seriously don't expect Palutena to have Bowser's weight :troll:), but while Zelda relies on strong, precise hits, Palutena seems relatively weak, but rack up percentages quickly in big zones.

The only thing I can see overpowered is her speed, as we are now. We need more informations.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
.....Well....she does look like a better version of Zelda........but probably too slow to be op.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I'm just going to go ahead and assume these "Is [insert new character] overpowered?" threads are mandatory now. They don't need to make sense, they just need to be there.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Ignoring what you said about Mewtwo she seems to have the range of a falling Snorlax.

But she looks slow start up wise from the trailer.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's too early to know anything. The trailer is showing her off, so of course she's going to look good.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I look at it in this way: When they showed Little Mac, I'm sure I wasn't the only one terrified with how OP he looked. Like seriously, he looked unstoppable. Same thing for Rosalina. And as it turns out they are balanced from what we have seen during this E3.

Morbi

Scavenger
I highly doubt it; again, it is utterly obvious that one must actually play the character extensively to objectively know whether or not they are over-powered. But in the case of Palutena, I am already able to observe some detrimental aspects of her character. She seems to predominately zone, so her close range options are going to be limited, similarly to Samus (or Link to an extent). It seem as though her mobility is attenuated unless you utilize a special. I am not sure to be honest, we shall see.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
I think there's some factor that we couldn't see that justifies her moveset, like requiring a charge or something...

PWN3

Smash Apprentice
these "Is [insert new character] overpowered?" threads are mandatory now
This is the best thing I've ever seen and it's going into my signature.

To answer the question... What others have said, really. The character trailers exist to make the newcomers look horribly overpowered and awesome, and Palutena's was no exception. That being said, the really screen-filling nature of her attacks is probably accounted for with long charges, low damage or poor knockback. Sakurai is a smart man -- I think, at least -- and he wouldn't just go "lolwhoops" and intentionally make a basic move that deadly.

firekirby

Smash Rookie
Her moves probably require charging, or she doesn't do a ton of a damage. It's too early to call her OP, and besides, the trailer was designed to show her off.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
If Palutena is OP in Smash then Blacheart is OP in MVC2, the two are very similar in terms of having projectile and ranged attacks that control a bunch of space, clearly Palutena is a defensive fighter.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I woke up today, watched some E3, was feeling pretty good about humanity.

Then I saw this thread and the OP

There goes any hope I had left.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
And I though Meta Knight was broken, Palutena is OP and broken beyond belief, and don't come at me with the "she is a goddess" excuse, because we are talking about the games where a pink balloon can kill the King of Evil by SLEEPING in his head. Wait a minute.........a pink balloon can kill a goddess by sleeping in her head!!!

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I guess it's too much to ask to let everyone play the game for themselves and see how the metagame develops before reaching conclusions regarding a character's ability compared to the rest of the cast...

No need to even think that far ahead until we actually see gameplay of her like we've been seeing of the other characters these past couple of days. I'm just happy she's in the game and I can't wait to talk smack while gracefully destroying opponents and run-skipping around the stage with her.

And I though Meta Knight was broken, Palutena is OP and broken beyond belief, and don't come at me with the "she is a goddess" excuse
Thanks for the laugh.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
she has a different customization set therefore she is broken as hell:ace:

Meta knight isn't even that good, It's jigglypuff that really has OP status :denzel:

Last edited:
Top Bottom