• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think Smash Ultimate should be the final Smash game?

Should Smash Ultimate Be The Final Smash Game?

• Yes

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • No

Votes: 71 74.0%

• Total voters

HimalayanHunter

Smash Rookie
We're at a point to where some games go through constant sequels and others just end it there or naturally progress to one. Smash Ultimate should be the last Smash game. Sometimes when we play games if you think about out we are playing with someones creation something they worked on imagined and looking back at the story of smash that's about growing up you can't help but think about the devs or in this case sakarai. We've gotten a smash game for almost every Nintendo console and as soon as new console comes out a new smash comes out. Look at the games sakarai has made all of them are sequels the dude has gone through sequel after sequel and gets recognized only for his repetition. I feel like it's our responsibility as gamers to cut people like sakarai some slack and let them be creative again. Think of all the cool new games that people like sakarai might want to make but can't because of us demanding for sequels. I'm not saying we shouldn't have more smash games but i'm saying us as gamers should just be happy with what we have. If you made me a game about plants beating each other up and I liked it I would show it off if others liked they would do they same eventually it gets to the point to where games advance so we think you should make a new cool and awesome one for us you accepting it have now some it for years. It's just a thought that maybe sakarai is sick of making the same thing over and over but loves it so much he can't stand to see it go so goes with the demand and makes these smash games for us the least I feel we should do is let him make his own new game.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I feel like this could be Sakurai's final Smash entry, for sure. The fact that every Smash character was brought back, and nearly every stage returned too, it looks like he's trying to create the definitive Super Smash Bros game. A tribute to the series itself.

Honestly, the E3 trailer and the main theme gave off such a feeling of finality, like "this is it, this is what the last 19 years have been leading up to", and seeing everyone finally being reunited added to that feeling. Sakurai probably wanted to leave the series on a high note, and this is probably the best way to go about it.

Will the Smash series end here? Forget about it. Smash is such a lucrative series for Nintendo, they have shown interest in continuing it even if Sakurai isn't involved (as was the plan for Brawl originally). Should it end? Hard to say really. But it does feel like this game will the zenith of the series; it will be very hard to top, especially with a new director.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Only if it continues to be ported to new systems and keeps receiving new characters forever.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
Well, there's a difference between if something should end, and if something would end.

Should this be the Last Smash? Honestly, I don't think so. For Nintendo has a history that is ever growing, ever expanding, and will continue to do so until the company folds, which will more than likely not be within our lifetimes. However, I do think this should be the last Smash Bros game for a while. With how the Direct showed everything off, this is definitely the Ultimate one out of all of the games to date... The largest crossover in gaming history. They should let the series simmer for a bit, especially after this one. Let it sit for a while... then when ideas are fresh, spirits are energized, and inspirations bloom; fire back with a Falcon Punch to our wallets with an even better game.

Will it be the last one? Hell no. At the end of the day, Nintendo is a company. And companies will always strive to make all the money. (Some do it with more dignity than others.) Smash is at a point where the game will sell hundreds of thousands of copies just by name alone. Nintendo could do Smash 64 Remastered and people will flock to that like bugs to a light. Even if Sakurai leaves Smash forever, Nintendo will continue to milk Smash Bros for every dollar they can get out of it.

Last edited:

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
I... man, that's a hard question. When Smash 4 came out, I though we reached peak Smash. Ultimate proved me wrong, but now I think I'm confident in saying this is peak Smash. Maybe I'm just not imaginative enough, but I simply can't imagine a Smash 6 that isn't just Smash Bros but with more characters and stages and minor mechanical tweaks.

I don't think Ultimate should be the final game, as this series is a money machine for Nintendo and there will be new things in the decades to come. However, I would be fine it it were the final game (though I'd also be sad).

Last edited:

Leaf_It

Smash Cadet
I feel like Ultimate is setting the bar for any Smash game pretty high. If they ever decide to make another, I can't see it being as well received without also having every previous Character. This is actually a theme I'm seeing with the Switch games. Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate... These are game that are so much grander and bigger than their predecessors, it's hard to imagine any future game ever topping them.

Saltloaf

Smash Rookie
In the current climate it seems fairly likely that there will be another Smash game. However, the success of this title generally and it's development alongside the esports world will heavily influence the franchise's future. Anything else is pure speculation.

Smash is insanely popular and brings Nintendo a lot of revenue. We live in a time of sequels and reboots, I can't see why Smash would fall out of such a lucrative niche. That said, I highly doubt Sakurai will be involved further. Perhaps the following title will probably bring the roster number down and introduce a different engine and play-style.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't know where Smash could go from here. They might have to bring down the roster to a smaller amount and essentially "reboot" the series.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Nah, but I don't expect another one for a long time. Probably going to be the longest gap (ironic considering the gap between 3DS/Wii U and Ultimate was the second shortest). Nintendo still has a lot of characters to pull from (of course we'll have to see if any more are added to Ultimate first though).

Ultimate would be hard to top, but the series is incredibly popular still and I'm sure the next system will need a SSB game. Still, I wouldn't expect another one for a very long time.

Milky2Milk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
Although Sakurai may be tired of making these games, he already has a large community who appreciate and play these games. If it’s anything, the hardcore smash community will be the ones who will send a metaphorical message to Nintendo asking for more games.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I really don't believe any other Smash game in the future will satisfy me.

I loved 64 and Melee... once brawl hit and the cuts began... I was bothered specially over Mewtwo.
I actually ended up playing Melee a very long time and avoided brawl.

I ended up playing brawl the year before Smash Wii U's release.

I enjoyed Smash Wii U, but I really wanted all the characters back... I thought It might happen seeing Doctor Mario and Roy...

But the game modes were horrible in Wii u and the 3DS version was pointless to have.

So here we are... On the verge of having what I always wanted - no cuts - and some newcomers ontop of that...
The game modes just can't fail me...

Can that even be done again?

This might be my last stop if it gives me everything I need.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
This should be the final Smash game of its kind. We can't just keep adding characters forever.

The next Smash in 4+ years should be a reboot of sorts. As much as we all love Sakurai for his work ethic and dedication to the series, I think it would be smart to start development on the next Smash as soon as their next hardware is finalized, with a new director and a new engine. I think the characters should be dwindled down and reimagined, so that everyone who picks up the game is starting fresh with brand new moves, mechanics, etc.

Smash Ultimate is the perfect ending point for this series, because we're getting literally everyone back. If the next smash comes back down to a reasonable 30-35 characters and significantly changes everything, we can always come back to Ultimate to experience "old Smash" anytime we want.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
For Sakurai yes, but I don't think it's anywhere close to being the last person

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think by this point if another Super Smash Bros. game is released, it should be rebooted and present the protagonist and antagonist of each series from the get-go, rather than progressively adding villains and supporting characters like the series did once SSBM came around. You would have the following characters.

1. Mario and Bowser
  2. Donkey Kong and King K. Rool
  3. Link and Ganondorf
  4. Samus and Ridley
  5. Captain Falcon and Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow
  6. Fox and Wolf
  7. Kirby and King Dedede
  8. Ness and Giygas or Porky
  9. Pikachu or Pokémon Trainer and Mewtwo
  10. Marth and Medeus
  11. Pit and Medusa or Hades
  12. Inkling and DJ Octavio(?)

That would be 24 characters. Sure, more characters could be made, but with a starter list, you could swap out certain characters for others.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
Final smash game? Absolutely not. But I think the next smash game should be somewhat of a reboot. We've already reached the point where the roster is massive and people want more characters. I think it's kinda like DBZ games. The roster kept growing with tenkaichi games then they kept a similar type of game but created a much smaller roster for the xenoverse series. Some characters, as beloved as they are, have little to no relevance outside of smash. Just massively cut the roster down to something in the 20-30 range. But that's just my opinion. They could take the whole keep every character approach and just release balance patches over and over slowly nerfing whatever top tier is complained about and maybe actually buffing more characters. Since I felt there were a lot of significant character balance issues in Sm4sh I have a hard time justifying ok let's have 100 characters in the next game. I'd rather have half the characters and just have more balance to the game.

Spider-Link

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spiderlink
Switch FC
SW-6997-1119-0302
Saying that Ultimate is the last Smash Bros is like saying Breath of the Wild is the last Legend of Zelda, or Odyssey is the last Mario game. It will never happen as long as Nintendo continues to pull major revenue off of it's titles that have made a staple in the gaming industry.

Could I see Smash grow to a roster of 100+ characters? Maybe.
Could I see a total reboot to the series as a whole? Just as likely.
I really doubt it will end though.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Pffft, no. This stuff prints money.

It's just that at this point... how do they top this?
Maybe future games just don't feature many newcomers at all and they just keep what they have, up the graphics and tweek the mechanics.
Either way, if there's ever cuts in the future it's gonna really bite after this one.

JazzaDawg

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1178-2246-1598
Switch FC
2923 8939 4091
last Sakurai game? Definitely but i'm not sure about last smash game ever i still see a future for this series. If this is does happen to be the last smash game, it had a good run.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
If it gets continually updated with plenty of new stages and characters every generation, I might be fine with that. I don't think that'll happen though. The next game's definitely going to have a hard time topping this one since I'm sure it will have a ton of cuts.

This is the first time I could actually believe Sakurai on this being his last Smash though. He seems to be trying to put all of his ideas and everything he's put into the series in one game. Maybe this is his send-off. Of course, there's a good chance he's just saying that again.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If it gets continually updated with plenty of new stages and characters every generation, I might be fine with that. I don't think that'll happen though. The next game's definitely going to have a hard time topping this one since I'm sure it will have a ton of cuts.

This is the first time I could actually believe Sakurai on this being his last Smash though. He seems to be trying to put all of his ideas and everything he's put into the series in one game. Maybe this is his send-off. Of course, there's a good chance he's just saying that again.
Except, I don't know how you can follow this game up without completely rebooting everything with a smaller cast.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
I hope it is, honestly. All these new and returned characters, all these stages, all this hype—it seems like the end. Or we’re nearing the end. The game feels like a climax to the series and, all sights ahead, Smash 6 could be the finale. I’m honestly glad Smash 4 wasn’t the end. It was a little boring and the game, the music, and side stuff seemed more relaxed. This game is like, “Heck yeah! Everyone’s here! Let’s get this show on the road!”

The feeling of this game seemed to pick up the pace. People are always trying to find new ways to make money. If Smash 5 is the end, then they’ll just make it a port, after port, after port, after port.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I think it will be Sakurai's final game - a tribute to his work on the series as a whole and a definitive edition of his vision of Smash.
Hopefully the series will continue, ideally as a reboot, built from the ground up. Ultimate is the pinnacle of Sakurai's Smash, so I think that the next game could be a fresh new take on the series with someone else at the helm.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
be hard to get interested in a reboot when it would have less content then the last game

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Final as in we're getting an overhaul of characters, stages etc in the future? Yes
Final as in the last ever released? No. Ending Smash would be like ending Mario or Zelda at this point

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Should it be? No.
Should it be for the way it is currently is? Probably. If everything comes back from past titles, then the next one should focus on new.

Keep the core veterans but give them overhauls. Focus primarily on brand new stages and concepts.

Alternatively if they do not want to alienate fans, make a spin off that is a traditional fighter with those quirks and more. I would love too see their take on that with Nintendo characters. Its own FighterZ.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Sakurai was actually considering rebooting the series this time around but instead chose to continue on with the traditional series. A Reboot would have only had 1/3 of the roster he said.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Except, I don't know how you can follow this game up without completely rebooting everything with a smaller cast.
That's exactly what Marvel vs. Capcom did after 2, with UMvC3 being considered the peak. Street Fighter also too a similar, ultra controversial move when they made SFIII by removing every vet excelt for Ryu,Ken,Chun-Li and Akuma, yet the3rd Strike incarnation still gained a huge following in the FGC and saw one of the greatest moments in competitive gaming happen as such.

So it can be done, as it's not that uncommon.

Last edited:

bortkupo

Smash Rookie
Ultimate won't be the last game in the series; Smash is way too big of a money maker to let go.

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
It should be the end. Nothing will top Ultimate, character and gameplay wise. Any characters that are added after this game's base roster will be nothing but filler, same goes for any nitpicking about gameplay details.

Sadly it won't end there officially. But as far as I am concerned, the moment Sakurai quits Smash will be finished in my mind. So will be my interest with the series.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
While Ultimate will be Sakurais Swansong I don't see this franchise ending anytime soon. With or Without him at its helm.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I like if they just port this indefinitely and add to it over time

neochiaki

Smash Rookie
Should it be the final Smash game? I think it should, I seriously can't think of anything else that would top what we have now.
Will it be the final Smash game? Probably not. Smash makes too much money for Nintendo to end it now.

they could just port it over to every nintendo console in the future and add characters and stages over time tho

Jaber ZXIII

Smash Rookie
There will definitely be a next one, but i'm 60% sure it'll be a reboot. I'd be fine with it, only if they introduce one or two amazing, brand new mechanics that adds and drastically redefines the way we play Smash, or at least becomes a well accepted mainstay for future sequels.

Maybe like a universal super meter with the characters unleashing balanced, miniature final smashes or something? I think it needs to be a little more unique than that though, especially for Smash (Iv'e seen enough people complain when they brought them over to 3D fighters...)

Last edited:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Now that y’all mention it, a reboot wouldn’t have been bad. It would’ve allowed them to keep going without raising the bar so high. A reboot could come after this for all we know. There’s nothing really stopping them from remaking the 64 version like they do with all the Pokémon games.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Sakurai was actually considering rebooting the series this time around but instead chose to continue on with the traditional series. A Reboot would have only had 1/3 of the roster he said.
This is true. It's really the only option at this point. Gotta make a new game that feels fresh and can hold it's own to the previous installment. With Sakurai making 6 Smash games with the same overall formula and structure, there's gonna need to be an overhaul. Meaning yeah, the next Smash game (whenever it comes out) will likely have around 20 characters, and have some massive changes to it to push the franchise forward.

Now that y’all mention it, a reboot wouldn’t have been bad. It would’ve allowed them to keep going without raising the bar so high. A reboot could come after this for all we know. There’s nothing really stopping them from remaking the 64 version like they do with all the Pokémon games.
I'd love to have a reboot of the 64 Smash with all the intended characters in the game.

Last edited:

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
I could see this being sakurai's last smash game but smash will never end it just make to much $ they even started making brawl B4 asking sakurai to work on it.

what I think the next smash games should do is (to prevent the roster from getting to big to fast) a cross over game like

SSB X Capcom where the focus is Capcom characters VS established Nintendo smash characters

I'd also like to see SSB X shonen jump all stars the best in Japanese video games VS the best in Japanese comics

say after those game come out it will be like a ten year gap between the last main series smash game giving time for new or really popular nntendo characters to shine in the next major smash game & the roster won't need to be much bigger then SSBU by then BC most cut characters will be from the cross over games

IMO

Peachach

Smash Cadet
Final is...too final. :) Sakurai seems to have hinted he's interested in revamping the game design, he forfeited that this iteration because he wanted this gigantic roster. I have a feeling this won't be the last Smash, nor it will be Sakurai's final involvement in Smash. Apart from Sakurai, Nintendo won't stop making Smash games...as others have said.

Top Bottom