• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think playing online 1 vs 1's with lag affects your local 1 vs 1 game?

Phazonin

Smash Cadet
Most of the time, online versus matches will have slight to moderate lag, whether it be button or screen. Do you think this has a negative affect on how you do in local 1 vs 1 matches? Like can it screw with your timings, and what not?

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Uhh, I got 99% of my training from WiFi, then I went to a tourney (there were alot of good players there, not a scrub fest :D) I got like 8th out of 45 people? Soo I personally dont think it should screw you up that bad TBH.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
i also got most of my training from wifi matches. wifi gives you a lot of experience with different characters.

Septuagint

Smash Cadet
I think good players can adjust to the speed of the game. Oncly choppiness effects your game. But if the game is running smoothly but slower, then I don't think that effects your game.

Duckys

Smash Apprentice
Ye even the slightest lag makes me unable sometimes to do some smash attacks making me having to use the c stick which I don't really like using. :[
Plus I can play so so so much better when not using WiFi, but its always great playing online and you can still improve online.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
This one example of why wavedashing and l-cancelling gone can actually be considered a good thing I guess. Since the game has slowed down anyway compared to melee it's easier to see whats going on and you have to be a bit more patient anyway. I found small lag to not be that much a of a problem since I just wait till the game resumes play again. But latency can limit your style a bit if your used to playing with severe latency. You'll find yourself often opting for smash attack in offline vs then causeyour used to using them online. While at the same time forgetting about very fast situations uses cause their the most riscy online.

So I think it does change your style a bit but if your good at adjusting you'll adjust pretty fast to offline again.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It doesn't interfere with my local matches. Unless you have some horrible lag, and you actually tolerate it, (meaning you have taught yourself how to play with bad lag) then it might affect your game temporarily.

If you play a lot of "With Anyone" matches, I think you may get used to the playstyle, therefore you might try doing one attack that would normally work on wifi, but then I assume a good player would catch thier mistake and quickly adapt to the local setting.

Uffe

Smash Hero
If you have a crud load of lag in every battle, then yeah, it could possibly effect your gameplay. However if you fight people on WiFi and there is no lag, then it'd pretty much be like fighting someone in your room. I have two people I mainly play over WiFi and none of us ever have lag and if there is lag we see if it goes away. Often times there never is any. Can I say it makes you suck than you normally did? Nope. I'd say it helped me get a lot better. These two friends I fight, I've gotten a lot better against them that even my brother saw major improvement when fighting him.

Top Bottom