• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

do you think Lucario would be best for beginners?

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
I mean, from the video I see, Lucario is easy to combo, easy to move around, deals more damage when taking more damage, and has very good recovery (particularly Wall Clinging, which from what I saw, is difficult). Not to mention being the Pokemon Chuck Norris, but do you think you would recommend people who have tried SSB series to play as Lucario.

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
what do mean, "not noob friendly," his abilities fits well for someone who may be new to Super Smash Bros. Then who do think is more "noob friendly."

Eisenherz

Smash Journeyman
I mean, from the video I see, Lucario is easy to combo, easy to move around, deals more damage when taking more damage, and has very good recovery (particularly Wall Clinging, which from what I saw, is difficult). Not to mention being the Pokemon Chuck Norris, but do you think you would recommend people who have tried SSB series to play as Lucario.
I recommend Lucario to everyone. He is #1.

Lucario once met a bear while walking through the forest. Lucario showed the bear his fists. At this time, the bear proceeded to eat itself knowing that it would be a less painful way to die.

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
Its not about noob characters but about who's move sets your most comfortable with. If you play Lucario and you like how he plays or just like Lucario. All of the characters are different so you have to figure out who works for you.

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
Its not about noob characters but about who's move sets your most comfortable with. If you play Lucario and you like how he plays or just like Lucario. All of the characters are different so you have to figure out who works for you.
Right. I agree. BUT I also do see the point of the OP. One has to admit that there are characters that aren't as "noob"-friendly. For example, Olimar isn't as pick-up-and-play because of the extra rules that accompany him to be used well, or normally for that matter. On this note, I think that Lucario will be one of the easier characters to use (though I've played the game for a few hours, I haven't had the chance to use him so I can't say for sure).

One of the reasons why I believe that he will not be the MAIN noob-associated character is probably because of his counter move. I don't know, something about that just makes me feel like he won't be initially liked by some people because of their lack of understanding and end up thinking it's a "useless" ability.

JoeTang

Smash Cadet
His smashes come out really slow, so that may piss off the scrubs. I expect a bunch of noobs to go around letting people hit them to get their damage up, thinking it's a good strategy, though.

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
I think Lucario would be best for beginners, since he gets stronger whenever he takes damage and he has really good recovery as well. On the other hand, if anyone want to create "Lucario Facts," please do it somewhere else.

After all, I believe force palm is quite cool to see, getting yourself into a complete stop isn't all that bad.

lucariomain

Smash Rookie
Lucario and any other character in brawl from what i've seen can be used by anyone no matter how bad they are.

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
exactly, doesnt matter what character is more ballanced and fast. If you like em and they get the job done...great!!! Personaly im so excited that Brawl is a week and a half away that im gona just go nuts with every one, especialy Lucario and PT

Traceur Assassin

Smash Cadet
u make it seem like this game has been out for years! apart from the people who already have the game we are all "beginners" in a sense.

ZeldaSheik

Smash Cadet
I think Lucario would be best for beginners, since he gets stronger whenever he takes damage and he has really good recovery as well. On the other hand, if anyone want to create "Lucario Facts," please do it somewhere else.

After all, I believe force palm is quite cool to see, getting yourself into a complete stop isn't all that bad.
Yes but think about something. Noobs aren't always smart, and might get KOed, and start again at 0%. So hopefully Lucario doesn't fly far!

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
Oh and by the way, when I get SSBB, I'm planning to unlock Lucario first. Which is the easiest way to unlock Lucario. Should I do Subspace Emissary, which would take a long time, or do 100 VS matches, which I don't know if this mode is already unlocked.

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
I think Lucario would be best for beginners, since he gets stronger whenever he takes damage and he has really good recovery as well.
I disagree. Lucario being strong at high percentages balances to being weak at low percentages (otherwise he would likely be broken).
The beginners at the game would in all probablility be bad as recovering and and might not even be aware of some of the techniques (such as DI). Therefore they would be KO'd at lower percentages and unable to take advantage of the high power that comes with high percentage.

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
Oh and by the way, when I get SSBB, I'm planning to unlock Lucario first. Which is the easiest way to unlock Lucario. Should I do Subspace Emissary, which would take a long time, or do 100 VS matches, which I don't know if this mode is already unlocked.
what about trying to complete target smash?

slowslow325

Smash Rookie
I think that he (It) is good for beginnings because noobs that can't defend themselves very well will take more damage (Unless they get ko'd before that) and then have powerful attacks. But then again because of all the stuff there is probably a lot of strategies for him that they have to know. I suggest that beginners pick a character that they will like without learning his move and strategies (Like if you like pokemon pick poke trainer, pika, or jiggly) and then play around with the character. Then and only then look up a guide for that character. That's what I did with Jiggly (I didn't pick her because she's a pokemon but because my nephew and possibly other people would underestimate me) and now I'm really good with jigglypuff and I still get underestimated :)

Kyune

Smash Rookie
I'd say Lucario isn't so good for beginners, because he strikes me as being a rather technical character. He's got reach, but his attacks are rather weak at the low percents where new players will survive at, until they start to learn DI and such.

Then there's the special moves:

Doubleteam( vB) requires some level of prediction/reaction to land, otherwise it's a whiff begging to be punished.
Aura Blast (>B) has two different effects depending on the range you use it at.
Extreme Speed (^B) has to be aimed and deals no damage, essentially quick attack lite.
I've got no real complaints with Aura Sphere, though. Gives em a basic incentive to practice blocking and dodging.

I'm not saying lucario is bad or anything, just that he might not be suited so much for new players.

Platanos

Smash Cadet
I don't think Lucario would be good for beginners due to his lack of killing moves.

It would probably be a bad idea, actually... Because beginners tend to use whatever attacks their character has, they have a chance to run into a killing move with other characters. With Lucario, that chance is almost nil because he seriously lacks a move that can KO at anything lower than 160%.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice

That's just it though, his damage does increase as his % increases, but really good people would know how to live longer and take advantage of that damage boost longer than people who have never heard about Super Smash Bros (I cry for those people >_>). His Smashes do come out slower than most other characters so he's not really a beginner character. If anyone, mario would probably be the best starter. I played with him in one match and I didn't really using him correctly, I didn't even know that his damage increased as his % increased ~_~.

Regardless though, people should just choose the characters they like or become more comfortable with.

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
I disagree. Lucario being strong at high percentages balances to being weak at low percentages (otherwise he would likely be broken).
The beginners at the game would in all probablility be bad as recovering and and might not even be aware of some of the techniques (such as DI). Therefore they would be KO'd at lower percentages and unable to take advantage of the high power that comes with high percentage.
Not to worry, I'll let the foe attack me and focus on surviving until I get 100%+ damage and then spike the dude/gal.

Kyune

Smash Rookie
Not to worry, I'll let the foe attack me and focus on surviving until I get 100%+ damage and then spike the dude/gal.
Giving your opponents free % on you is a bit absurd don't you think? At most I could see doing it once as a bluff to make an opponent overconfident. That, and his weak hits do have some purpose to them. ;knockback early on is so low that Lucario can chase early on. Opponent depending, you'll even be able to get chained force blasts off. The damage modifier is more of a gimmick than a strength--it doesn't change the fact that you have to be able to land hits on opponents to damage them, and Lucario's speed isn't anything to brag about.

I've played Lucario a few times and I don't think Luc even has a spike, or if he does it's so tough to land that I haven't seen it yet--dair usually knocks them upwards and away and that would have been the most likely spike to come from him.

Cinder

Smash Master
I'd say Lucario isn't so good for beginners, because he strikes me as being a rather technical character. He's got reach, but his attacks are rather weak at the low percents where new players will survive at, until they start to learn DI and such.

Then there's the special moves:

Doubleteam( vB) requires some level of prediction/reaction to land, otherwise it's a whiff begging to be punished.
Aura Blast (>B) has two different effects depending on the range you use it at.
Extreme Speed (^B) has to be aimed and deals no damage, essentially quick attack lite.
I've got no real complaints with Aura Sphere, though. Gives em a basic incentive to practice blocking and dodging.

I'm not saying lucario is bad or anything, just that he might not be suited so much for new players.
Couldn't agree more...and btw, its side B is Force Palm, not Aura Blast...but that's the picky side of me XD

Anyway, as so many people have stated here, Lucario's very weak at low percentages, damage/knockback wise, which is a counter to its special effect...if you're using Lucario and at low percents, your best hope is to spike an opponent, and not many n00bs are brave enough to try that, and if they do, they don't always make it back...

And by your (DarkPaladin) logic, any character that has good combo ability could be n00b friendly...to which I say: who doesn't have good combo ability in this game? So far, the team has done a decent job of balancing characters (though not perfect)...so if Lucario's n00b friendly, everyone's n00b friendly...

And when you said that we'll all be beginners...not as much as one might think...granted, it may take some time to adjust, but any pro Melee player will get the hang of Brawl fairly quicky, soooo...by the time people unlock Lucario, they'll be used to the game...

So no, Lucario is no more n00b friendly than anyone else in this game...

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
I totally agree about the combos, if u can use the character then he or she is noob friendly. there is no better character in this game cause they made them all evened out

Cinder

Smash Master
I totally agree about the combos, if u can use the character then he or she is noob friendly. there is no better character in this game cause they made them all evened out
That's true...to an extent...the characters are no where near as seperated as they used to be, but they're not all on the exact same level *coughMarthcough*...and from what I've heard, Lucario's indeed up there among the better characters...

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
Well, it all really depends on you. Wow, that was absolutely no help at all.

Just play the game a lot and get out of that beginner phase and you won't need to worry about this question anymore.

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
And here i thought i'd just take 150% damage and then try to win.... :lick:
well cause then it would be harder to stay alive. and the physics of the game have changed i belive, the higher your dmg meter goes up then the slower the character gets. This is what I have heard.

Plz correct me if I am wrong

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Having played Lucario plenty of times by now, I would not recommend Lucario to new players. His A moves are tricky to understand at first because of the displacement of hitboxes between his limbs and the Aura he projects. Like with his dair, you must hit a little below the foot, NOT with the foot, to get the full effect of the attack, and the same goes for his A-button comboes. if you are too close, your attacks will not do too much or will miss entirely, but if you're too far then you're screwed also.

His Aura ability isn't that easy to exploit, either; You don't start seeing real results until you go past 100% in damage, and by that time you are vulnerable to death from a smash attack in the right environment/character attacking you. And since your attacks are fairly weak at the start a new player with no strategy will not excel. Not to mention there are many factors to his special attacks that need to be taken into account(how his Double Team and Force Palm work depending on the different situation, and of course the effects of Aura). Lucario is definitely not a newbie-friendly character.

For me, the key to taking advantage of his Aura was taking advantage of the fact that while all his moves are weak at first, they still have good stun and knockback, and his regular combo is a great starter because it's quick. His smash moves have delays which is both good(fake out opponents who dodge prematurely) and bad(slow smashes compared to others, like Pikachu, who can do ALOT of damage really fast). So by doing as much damage as you can as quickly as you can, by the time your opponent has started dealing damage to you, your attacks will be hitting them much harder.

That's my two cents anyway. Lucario is not newbie-friendly.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Okay. Lets have the resident Lucario expert take a look in here, eh?

Okay then, the question is, "Is Lucario good for beginners?".

We should look at this differently..."Are beginners good for Lucario?".

The answer is no. Beginners tend to find 1 attack, and spam it. Lucario has Aura Sphere. Just like with Beginners using Mewtwo in Melee, you'll just have a projectile filled noob fest. The difference with Lucario now, is if they can learn how to survive at higher %s, they'll be spamming more than ever, with stronger and bigger attacks.

He has disjointed hitboxes, most of which need sweet spotting. Those same hitboxes are also very deceiving, his USmash for example. His attacks can be punished if not done right, but when done right, will give up great results.

As for using his "Aura" to be better for beginners...well...lets put it this way:
Newbie Lucario's won't make it much past 120%; Heck, 80%, since they may or may not have full control over Lucario's Extreme Speed.

So, since Lucario needs to do lots of things to be played his very best, Beginners should start with like...Kirby. Simple and effective.
-DD

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Wait...are you asking if VS. mode will be unlocked at the start...O_O

Noobs will love simple characters, I don't think Lucario is that easy...

will388

Smash Cadet
MOST DEFINATELY not for beginners..
not to say that lucario is like mewtwo(because he isnt) but would u recommend mewtwo for a beginner? i sure wouldnt, if by beginner u mean 'someone new trying to do well'.. lucario is pretty technical if u want to be 'good' with him... someone like mario is the 'best' for beginners

if someone really want to be lucario though, nothing would be stopping them from practicing

Top Bottom