• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think it's fair to counterpick a player ahead of time?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
If you're in a tourney, and you know your opponent plays a certain character, is it fair to choose a char that counters them in the first match? Assuming that we both do the double blind choices and whatnot. I was just wondering, because I've won sets using counter-characters at previous tourneys when I didn't even main the character, and I kinda felt like crap because it seemed unfair. But I play a wide variety of characters. I main Samus. For example, if I'm going against someone who only plays Ganon, I'll go Sheik or Falco against him. Or if I'm going up against an Peach player, I'll pick Young Link.

I just want to know what you guys think of this.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
well from my thoughts, i would say that if u feel like counter-picking a character then go for it. it doesnt always work tho. ive actually tried to take advantage of Ylink vs peach, with ylink being my main and all. but it turns out skill > counters. i lost and realized i need to get better. but i definitely learned from my mistakes, as i made many mistakes in that match.

if ur playing in a tourney tho, u should always expect the worse. but hope for the best. ive seen a match when pichu beat a shiek one time. was the shiek bad? possibly.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
lol, Chudat vs Plank? ;)

But yeah, I know that skill > counters. I only counterpick with characters that I'm actually skilled with. I do play Young Link quite well. Like I said I play a wide range of characters and they're all fit for playing in tournaments. But Samus is my best. I feel like I should mention that I don't always do the pre-counterpicking, I usually go Samus but I just trust my instincts on whether I should or not. And it's not always true counter characters. For example, my G&W does extremely well against CF and Ganon, so I might even counterpick them with G&W ahead of time.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
I say play with whoever you feel like playing with, counterpick or not.If it'll serve you well, why not? You may feel kind of bad for knowing ahead of time, but the point of the game is not to specialize against certain foes or stages. You should be prepared for anything. That's basically what the second round is about.

But in any case, make sure you have fun. :)

homsar

Smash Ace
If your playing to win and you know who your opponent is going to choose then you should capitalize on it. Do what must be done to win. I love the sig by the way.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Well I know some people don't like to call stuff cheap but it seemed cheap to me at first. But I do play to win and I always know that I played to the best of my ability no matter what character is used. Well actually I shouldn't say cheap, more like I had an early advantage. Yeah, that sounds better.

Oh and homsar, every time I see your sig I watch it several times no matter what. I've basically memorized both of them lol.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I see nothing wrong with this...if someone is known for always playing the same character, it only makes logical sense to pick a counter on the first game. If they have a problem with it, they need to play some more characters from time to time...then you won't know who to counter pick. However, WAITING to see whom they pick and then counter picking is unfair.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
^yeah, like a double counterpick, or even triple, like if you go against a peach, then he thinks ull pick ylink, but then you pick someone who counters a ylink counter (if that made sense lol)) mindgamez'd!

lol ive watched that sig countless times homesar haha. poor homesar, died off so early :/

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
Yeah, they should learn to main more than one character. I've got a backup for my backup, a doublebackup for my backup, and a triple backup for my double backup, so it goes Doctor Mario> Luigi>Yoshi> ICs.

homsar

Smash Ace
Actually, Just today I started to do this against one person. Ive always had an uphill battle with my samus (Main) vs his Falcon (his main) sO I started experimenting with other characters and I found he is really troubled by my Ice Climbers so I will always play him as Ice Climbers now.

At those that watch my sig. When I first posted it my PM box filled up with compliments. :laugh:

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
why would it be unfair? every player has the opportunity to learn to play multiple characters. if you consider yourself to be a serious tournament player, you should probably have more than one main.

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
If you want to get technical...the point of the game is to fight with characters...and to win. So that's what you are doing. Cheap is just a "justification" for a loss. And it is true, with tiers and counters and everything, it still does come down to skill, so just consider the fact you know who they play as is an advantage you should take note on. If you really feel guilty, find another character to use. I don't think it would be bad...

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Also, people who play only one character should learn every single matchup with that character, good or bad. It'd be stupid for someone to be like "OMG WTF another Sheik" when they should know full well what characters counter theirs, and how to deal with their end of the matchup no matter how crappy of a matchup it is.

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
I dont think its unfair.
as long as you beat them with skill than its fair

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Enjoying some leisurely chaos...in New Jersey
It's definitely fair. That's just the nature of competition hand in hand with the game. Think of it like a game of chess. Your opponent is known for only using the English Opening. You know this and force a line that pushes the positional/developmental advantage to black. Is this unfair? No, it's smart planning and playing. The opponent had the option to do something different, but he did not. It was his choice to use that opening, just like it was a fellow smashers choice to choose a certain character that you correctly anticipated.

Anyway, people should know all the matchups for their character if they expect to win, as Rapid Assassin said. Besides, if you anticipate the counterpick correctly, you'll be the one with the advantage >_>.

However, points aside, is preemptive counterpicking lame? Yes.

Is it okay to be lame if you want to win? Yes.

It's fair and it gives you a better chance to win. So long as you don't mind being labelled lame or ghey by johnners, by all means, do it.

pdk

Smash Lord
there's no question here, counterpicking is just what you get for insisting on using certain chars when it counts

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
I'm not even sure it gives you that big of an advantage to even be considered unfair. People who only play one character expect to be playing against its counters. Players will either develop counterpicks for bad matchups, or they will focus on improving a bad matchup.

So even if you go falco against a ganon, that ganon is already expecting to be facing falcos in the tourney, and he can't expect to do well at all if anyone can pick just falco and beat him.

Fiiii

Smash Apprentice
I say go for it. If the person you're playing against is any good, he should probably know which characters he's weak against and prepare for that. Either way, pick whoever you want and don't feel bad about it if you won fair and square.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Well let's see.. Most people know the characters I play, how to counterpick against them.. And I expect it in tournaments. It's plenty fair.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
Yes, yes I do. In fact if someone plays Fox and seconds Peach, finds out prior to my match with them that I play ICs and he/she decides to counterpick Peach versus me before we meet up, then more power to that person. It's legal and I'm more than sure that I'd do the same in the same person's shoes.

No Johns.

Top Bottom