• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

do you think he is OP?

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
first of all I'm a DHD main so I have a good idea of strengths and weaknesses. I'm looking for characters with a similar zoning playstyle and I'm really feeling ROB. ROB has almost no weaknesses that I'm aware of. he is a freaking BEAST up-close and at long range. on top of this, his recovery goes higher than VILLAGER (only downside is it having to be charged)

ROB kills mad early on so many moves... does anyone think this robot is OP? he might be top 10 material, and people will only start realizing when the diddy/sheik/zss hype dies down

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
He's an enormous target, he's slow movement-wise, his aerials have abysmal startup, his recovery has no hitbox and is criminally easy to spike, his specials can be seen coming a mile away, his standard attacks have little range and his grab range is so-so.

He's a solid character, but he's certainly not OP. You need to know how to play him like any other character. R.O.B. is my fifth-favourite character and somebody that I have a lot of experience with, but at least from my own perspective and understanding, he's well-balanced and has plenty of noticeable strengths and weaknesses.

EDIT: What @ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans said. Eheheh~

Last edited:
Okay so I don't come off as a poopy head for not even adding input, I'll add input

Like wintropy said ROB is a floaty character with a large hurtbox, which isn't a very favourable combination. You can attack out of Robo Burner to compensate for the lack of a hitbox, but it isn't as versatile as it was in Brawl

UTilt has nice vertical range and setup hits, but it has noticeable startup. FTilt is quick, but has less-than-stellar range. DTilt is REALLY quick, and it has pretty OK range. FSmash has EXCELLENT range, but it has abysmal WFT-tier startup. I think DSmash is still pretty solid.

UAir is really good, but aside from that, ROB lacks aerials that can reliably KO. NAir and FAir are pretty weak, and BAir has significant startup. Idk about DAir so I won't comment on it.

ROB's specials are pretty solid though. Gyro is a lot easier to get control of now, and Z-dropped Gyros are a nice shenanigan. Arm Rotor has gotten a sweet buff, but it still suffers from the fact that it's really punishable and will invariably gimp you if you accidentally use it offstage, which will invariably happen ;_; Laser is really good in it's lower stages because of how quickly it recharges, but the fully charged version's range is lacking imo

Of course, most of this stuff is comparing against Brawl ROB, who I mained, so I'm not the best of players for this. I was adding my two cents but look for better players' opinions in that thread I linked. Just search the thread to see what people have already said, and post in it too to get more opinions.

Last edited:

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
R.O.B. is basically a walking textbook of "How to Beat Duck Hunt: A Beginners Guide". Side-B can reflect all your projectiles. Neutral B does not care in the least that you have Gunman out, which would normally be a shield for other projectiles. He can gimp you offstage super easily. The Gyro can deflect and set off the can in your face, nair beats all your aerials, and his up throw is extremely early.

He's definitely at least top one-third thanks to his buffs from Brawl to Sm4sh, but his attacks are still on the slow side and he's a huge target, which does not work well with being floaty (just ask DeDeDe). He can be gimped since his rocket fuel does not recharge until he stands on a platform. While he's good at maintaining control of the neutral game, he is very poor at winning it back due to being a huge hitbox with slow attacks.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I wouldn't say that. Rushdown characters like Captain Falcon and Sheik are big weakness. It can be hard staying away from them and ROB is ill equipped for close quarter combat, so to speak.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Honestly he is not top 10 or even top 15. R.O.B. has some major weaknesses that bog him down that some posters have already listed such as:

- Being a big target which leads to easy combos and juggling.
- Very floaty which is problematic when coming from above.
- Jab and Ftilt are pretty slow and have low range.
- Grab isn't that good (not bad either just...so-so)
- Aerials such as Fair, Bair, and Nair aren't as good as they used to be.

I wouldn't say that. Rushdown characters like Captain Falcon and Sheik are big weakness. It can be hard staying away from them and ROB is ill equipped for close quarter combat, so to speak.
Also this is so true since R.O.B. isn't amazing in close combat. Not bad but not great either. These characters listed are probably his hardest match-ups to be honest. Just a couple of days ago I versed one of the hardest players if not the best smash player (imo) and he used sheik. I really couldn't do much to him since he was so fast, was very offensive (up close and personal) and juggled me to no end.

Though he has these weaknesses R.O.B. is still an amazing character just not op. Also I actually preferred R.O.B. in brawl then in this game though like I said he still is an amazing character with a move set that just clicks for me.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
I feel that ROB is probably one of the most versatile characters, which might give him the illusion of being OP. he can be played both defensively and offensively, either by camping and playing keepaway, or making quick openings with projectiles to rush in for a few quick hits. good projectiles, good damage racking, and good kill potential. that said, he doesn't excel at any of these. there are better projectile players and campers (villager), better damage racking characters (shiek), better killers (falcon) out there. also, like everyone said, he is big and floaty, making him a good punching bag once he's at a disadvantage.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
robs nair is just ridiculous. with good spacing it cant be punished even if shielded and it has no landing lag so rob can do anything out of it, not to mention the range it has...together with the spammy projectiles makes rob really difficult to approach for most characters, this it probably why soem people label him overpowered

MajiNfraze

Smash Apprentice
I'm seeing him low tier on most tier lists...

That having been said, I think he's probably right in the middle of the pack. B tier range.

Sacredden

Smash Cadet
I am not sure if anyone pointed this out but I will go ahead and say it:
ROB has no way to escape combos besides an air dodge or accidental slip out......
Suddenly jab locking is a nightmare......

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
i wouldn't say he is OP overall per say, just some of his moves such as the nair or the grab to up attack combo are very good. his gyro is very handy as well, in the right hands. he is a big target so thats one of his faults and his jab isn't very good but his good points such as correct nair spacing outweigh the negative.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
He's Top Tier in lag, that's for sure. Offline/lagless, though, he feels mid mid/high.
Just my opinion.

Top Bottom