• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think a new Pokemon from Pokemon Sword/Shield will join the fight?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nah. If Rex and Spring Man debuted too late to be DLC, a character from a 2019 game is way later.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I don't think so given Rex and Spring Man got disconfirmed for being revealed too late despite being revealed in early 2017. Plus I think Pokemon Sword/Shield Pokemon might of been developed after early 2017.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I doubt it. I'm sure they would have been announced during the Direct, but since they didn't, I'm going to bet we aren't getting one.

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
if they do it better not be one of those uninspired starters lol i'm hoping they dont at all though.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They actually debuted too late to be on the base roster.
Which is why Spring Man is an AT and Rex is a DLC Mii Costume...? If they had been planned for DLC, neither of them would be in Smash in any capacity.

D

Deleted member

Wasn't Greninja chosen for Smash 4 even though at the time X & Y was not fleshed out until later in Smash 4's development? I'm saying this specifically because I don't think it's impossible. IIRC, Sakurai just saw Greninja's conceptual design and was like, "Yes. I want this."

Last edited by a moderator:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Wasn't Greninja chosen for Smash 4 even though at the time X & Y was not fleshed out until later in Smash 4's development? I'm saying this specifically because I don't think it's impossible. IIRC, Sakurai just saw Greninja's conceptual design and was like, "Yes. I want this."
That is true. All Sakurai had to go by for Greninja was concept art. At the time Greninja was revealed, it had not even made its proper debut in the anime.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Saw this coming.

Its hard to say at the moment.
This. Right now, I want to know what their evolved forms look like. If I see unique moveset potential in any of them, they'll have mine support. As of now, mine favourite is the fire bunny--but that might change, once I know each Pokémon's abilities.

That said, however, I don't see any of them making in Smash Ultimate, unless they announce another season pass. At any rate, we shall see.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Very possible

Gen 8 was definately in development before the 5 packs were decided

And one factor not being considered I think sword and shield Pokémon will be phased out by the time smash 6 comes out

And the other one you guys once again forgot how greninja and incineroar got in.

toonito

Smash Ace
pure speculation post

i'd be surprised if a Gen 8 rep got in Ultimate since so far we haven't had multiple new Pokemon debut in Smash since Brawl (:pt::lucario:), the precedent of Smash skipping generations with a playable Pokemon is there (Hoenn, Unova), and it seems that 2016 is the cutoff for playable characters with Incineroar playable yet Rex & Spring Man are not as their games debuted in 2017. So for Ultimate I'm leaning no. I could be wrong I'm just speculating here.

For Gen 8 reps in Smash it depends on when Smash 6 comes out

say it takes another four years for a new Smash to come out (SSB4 2014, SSBU 2018, SSB6 2022)

it takes about 3-4 years for a new Pokemon gen to debut (RB 96, GS 99, RS 02, DP 06, BW 10, XY 13, SM 16, SS 19)

If SSB6 comes out 2022 and Generation 9 comes out within 2022-2023 in line with past games then Gen 9 will get the nod as every Smash game has had a pokemon rep from the newest generation.

RB 96 (64, 1999)
GS 99 (Melee, 2001)
DP 06 (Brawl, 2008)
XY 13 (SSB4, 2014)
SM 16 (SSBU, 2018)

TLDR: not likely for Ultimate, possible for Smash 6, the longer it takes for Smash 6 to come out the less likely.

Again pure speculation

Last edited:
Top Bottom