• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you like the Main Theme of SSB4?

What do you think of the main theme of SSB4?

• It's awesome!

Votes: 71 65.1%
  • It's okay.

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • It's boring.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • It's awful!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don't, honestly.

I mean, I love the theme of Melee and the theme of Brawl. For the latter, I was pretty annoyed at the "main theme remixes for everything" approach they took, but I never get tired of listening to the main theme itself (though I think the Final Destination rendition is pretty sweet).

I don't think the Main Theme of SSB64 is anything special on its own, but I do LOVE the Final Destination (Melee) rendition of the song.

I was immediately disappointed with the Theme of SSB4 when I first heard it in the initial trailer, and my opinion hasn't changed. It's not a BAD theme, but I just think it's really boring. It's just slightly not-as-good as the Theme of SSB64.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
In and of itself, it's fine to me. The problem is that people are comparing it to the other games and their themes. The song isn't bad, it's just not the same orchestration as the other ones. For example, there isn't a 100 piece choir singing portions of the theme. It's all brass with occasional woodwind licks. My favorite theme is still melee because of the changes in texture throughout the piece, but I still like my trumpets, haha.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Better than brawl's by far - but it's a little less capable of sinking into the background like the other 2

Renji64

Smash Lord
I think it is pretty good it hs dat championship type feel to it. It isn't dramatic as brawl's main theme but it isn't bad.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Eh, it comes off as menu music for me. Thay being said, I love Trophy Gallery's rendition of it.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Brawl is the best in my opinion cuz it have it a cinematic feel but I this new one grew on me....gives you a good battle vibe. Overall pretty awesome!

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's too bad that they overfocused on the main theme of 4 and Menu (Melee) for 3DS.

I was expecting to have complete renditions of the theme of Melee and theme of Brawl. Currently we only have partial renditions of those songs.

Also, the fact that they continue the "main theme remixes for everything" approach for the soundtrack is even more annoying now since I don't even like the theme of 4.

Spirst

I didn't like Brawl's much, to be honest. I think it's pretty overrated and was never a huge fan of the whole choir thing it had going on (actually found it annoyingly tiresome). I much prefer the cleaner sound of the Sm4sh theme.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Initially, I liked the theme. It felt to me as if it showed Smash in a more (quoting @ Renji64 Renji64 ) "championship type feel," which I still think is perfect for these games.

I still like the theme, but I've been hearing it just about everywhere in the game. I do think some of the remixes such as the Multi-Man Smash song sound fresh enough to be exciting, but to be honest, the theme gets played a lot around the game without much remixing to the point that it wears me down.

So I like it. But I think it's played too much in the game to stay fresh for a while. At least for me.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Initially, I liked the theme. It felt to me as if it showed Smash in a more (quoting @ Renji64 Renji64 ) "championship type feel," which I still think is perfect for these games.

I still like the theme, but I've been hearing it just about everywhere in the game. I do think some of the remixes such as the Multi-Man Smash song sound fresh enough to be exciting, but to be honest, the theme gets played a lot around the game without much remixing to the point that it wears me down.

So I like it. But I think it's played too much in the game to stay fresh for a while. At least for me.
Like I said, I'm annoyed with the "main theme remixes for everything", but I still really liked the theme of Brawl.

However, the main theme remixes REALLY sting in SSB4 because the main theme is so boring.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
It's alright IMO.

I love the menu rendition of it, as well as the Battlefield and the Multi-Man Smash versions. Not so much for the other variations..

I think Melee still has the best theme overall, but Brawl definitely had the better Final Destination and All-Star Rest Area.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Like I said, I'm annoyed with the "main theme remixes for everything", but I still really liked the theme of Brawl.

However, the main theme remixes REALLY sting in SSB4 because the main theme is so boring.
Well, at the rate it's going, I think using the main theme for a lot of songs in the game is turning most people off even if they like it. But it might depend on how the theme is remixed.

Like you said, you really liked Brawl's theme, and it got remixed a lot. I liked Brawl's theme too, and the constant remixing in that game was alright with me because I think they changed up the theme enough. With Smash 4, the main theme has been more or less repeated without much change (in my opinion), except for some songs such as Multi-Man Smash.

That being said, Smash 4's main theme isn't changing whether its remixes are stale or fresh. Whether you like the theme being used a lot and whether you like the theme at all are two different topics.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well, at the rate it's going, I think using the main theme for a lot of songs in the game is turning most people off even if they like it. But it might depend on how the theme is remixed.

Like you said, you really liked Brawl's theme, and it got remixed a lot. I liked Brawl's theme too, and the constant remixing in that game was alright with me because I think they changed up the theme enough. With Smash 4, the main theme has been more or less repeated without much change (in my opinion), except for some songs such as Multi-Man Smash.

That being said, Smash 4's main theme isn't changing whether its remixes are stale or fresh. Whether you like the theme being used a lot and whether you like the theme at all are two different topics.
See, the problem is that because 4's main theme is boring, it makes the constant remixes all the more painful.

I like SSB4's theme, though the Final Destination remix of it is a little disappointing after the greatness of Brawl's FD.

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
I like Melee's and the theme for SSB4. Brawl had the most grandiose one, but I personally didn't like Brawl's theme. I'd rank em Melee > SSB4 > Brawl > 64

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's my favourite Smash theme. It perfectly captures the feeling of Smash IMO. Like, I sometimes call it "the hype song", because the song gets me pumped. Whenever I hear the theme in the background of some videos, it gets me excited because I know it's Smash time. But it also is fighting fit.

I do think the Final Destination and Master Hand themes need to be switched, though.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
See, the problem is that because 4's main theme is boring, it makes the constant remixes all the more painful.
Well, it is a main theme for a reason. It unfortunately can't be helped if one doesn't like it.
I'll agree that Smash 4 remixes its main theme more than it probably should. But I can't fault them for doing it at all because again, it is a main theme, so it would, reasonably enough, be the overarching theme you hear more than any other.

D

Deleted member

Like it? I love it!
It really gives both a competitive vibe to it and the exciting feeling that you will have when fighting against some of Nintendo's greatest all-stars. It mixes well with the bright, colorful worlds of Nintendo. I especially love the Menu theme and the Battlefield version of the song.
Personally, I think that Smash 4's theme is the best in the series.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
It's leagues better than Brawl's Latin chanting, but I'm disappointed they went the lets-use-it-for-pretty-much-every-smash-exclusive-song route again.

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
I really like SSB4's theme, I was sort of disappointed with Final Destination though. (It's still good, but I prefer Brawl's)

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
It's a fantastic theme. Coming from Brawl's, I'm surprised with how much I like it. I never thought Melee's could be surpassed, but there it is, lol. The menu version of the theme would probably have to be my favorite rendition.

Last edited:

Crimnonin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gettinjiggy
3DS FC
0920-0728-2546
In my opinion, it sounds kind of generic. Like Nintendo is so afraid of scaring off people from Sm4sh that they have to make the least exciting theme possible to appeal to as many people as possible. It's not Sakurai's fault or anything, but it does go to show how much Nintendo has changed.

In the long run I like Melee's the most, but I have to admit that the Brawl theme certainly powered up the hype train for awhile.

WrappedInBlack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PyroJayBlack
3DS FC
1736-3220-0909
I accidentally voted "it's okay" I wanted to pic "it's awesome"

I love the theme so much and all it's remixes. Unlike the Brawl theme, where I loved all the remixes and hated the main version.

Kori

Smash Cadet
I like it, just don't like that it's used for almost everything lol...

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I like it a lot, feels more elaborated and anthemic than Brawl's Theme (but Melee is still the best one in my opinion), when I hear any of the versions it still has that epic feel that had during E3 2013 Trailer, the composers did a great job creating it because the notes can sound good even if is remixed into elevator music.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I say it's the best out of them all. It catches the image of Smash perfectly. It's a fighting game, yes. But not one to be taken so seriously. Basically, it's the theme that screams, "This is the meeting of Nintendo's Finest in a wacky, yet epic crossover!" It's fast-paced, hype-intensifying, and overall just fun to listen to.

Now, I LOVED Brawl's theme. It was great, epic, and got you pumped up for something amazing. However, it was something that would have sounded better in an RPG or MMO like Elder Scrolls or Guild Wars 2, respectively.

Melee's one was good too, not as good as Brawl's in terms of personal taste, but it caught the image of Smash better than Brawl's theme. However, it never really gave me that "wow" factor that Smash 4's theme gives me.

And Smash 64's main theme was "meh" to me. But I LOVE 64's character selection theme.

Last edited:

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I think its perfect! I love the stadium-thumping drums, which are totally fitting for an arena fighting game like Smash Bros. It also doesn't take its self too seriously, a major detriment against Brawl's theme. All in all, it's a worthy successor to Melee's memorable theme, dare I say better.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It's alright, but I can't believe they're putting it in half of the soundtrack again. How did they not get negative feedback on that from Brawl?

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
The SSB4 theme got pretty old really fast. I don't think it has the memorability or staying power of Melee or Brawl. It's okay (I like the part where it changes up), but I can see it getting really annoying.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think the Menu theme should have been Melee's. That theme is awesome and worth keeping!
I always set the Menu music in Brawl to Menu (Melee). It's too bad they only had Menu 2 as an alternate for SSB3DS.

Though SSBU will have My Music, so not all hope is lost.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I liked it at first. It just screamed "Smash" to me. After hearing it over and over and over in the demo though, it's sort of become grating. I think it'll grow back on me once I can play on more stages and not hear it every minute of the game, though. Even at my most fond of it, though, I still prefer the older themes.

Top Bottom