• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you like how All star mode is done in SSB4?

the8thark

Smash Lord
Do you like how All star mode is done in SSB4?

- Available from the start with the characters you have currently unlocked
- The characters you vs are in chronological order of their games releases.I personally liked the random nature of it in melee/brawl. I think this game mode is not one you'd want to start with, having it one of the last game modes you unlocked have it the prestige ti deserved I think.

But what do you all think? Do you like how All star mode is done in SSB4?

Spirst

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here that someone can clarify for me but wasn't All Star mode locked in the supposed leak? Was the decision to make it available from the start a decision that was just recently added, was the leak just misleading or am I just missing an important piece of the puzzle?

I like that it's available from the start. I was hoping, though, that we only had to fight about half of the roster, because 48 foes in a single run is a bit extreme. I really hope you can suspend a play-through to take breaks, kind of like the owl saves in Majora's Mask.

I would also have preferred the opponent order and grouping be shuffled every time you play, but I know Sakurai has this kind of OCD-lite where things just have to be in some kind of order.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here that someone can clarify for me but wasn't All Star mode locked in the supposed leak? Was the decision to make it available from the start a decision that was just recently added, was the leak just misleading or am I just missing an important piece of the puzzle?
Sakurai confirmed in Yesterday's PotD that All-Star is unlocked from the beginning, but there's a lock on it until you unlock everybody since the mode isn't "complete". I actually do like it that way. It makes for some good character testing while you're unlocking the characters.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I like that it's available from the start. I was hoping, though, that we only had to fight about half of the roster, because 48 foes in a single run is a bit extreme. I really hope you can suspend a play-through to take breaks, kind of like the owl saves in Majora's Mask.

I would also have preferred the opponent order and grouping be shuffled every time you play, but I know Sakurai has this kind of OCD-lite where things just have to be in some kind of order.
I agree with saving it, 30+ fights in a row is a lot. And doing some on one day and the rest on day 2 would be a very good idea indeed. But it might not be 30+ fights as you could have 2v1's and 3v1's as was in the previous Smash All Star modes. Still a save mode for this would be very nice.

I have to agree that Sakurai is rather OCD about order, which 95% of the time is great for the games he makes. But I think this is that 5% that needs to change. If the fights are in the same order everytime, then you could work out what percentage health maximum you could be at for each run to make it through them all, a progression metre or check of your progression. In the Melee/Brawn randomness of this, you had to take a guess at the order or who was left as for when to take the hearts. But now with them in the exact same order every time, when to take the hearts won't be a guess it'll be based on who you are up to and your health %. All math based. This is the one point I think is small but I'll miss it in SSB4 All Star mode. Well that and the fact, not knowing who I am going up against next is cool, as it made multiple All Star mode run throughs interesting and not the same thing every time.

Spirst

Sakurai confirmed in Yesterday's PotD that All-Star is unlocked from the beginning, but there's a lock on it until you unlock everybody since the mode isn't "complete". I actually do like it that way. It makes for some good character testing while you're unlocking the characters.
Ah, I get it. That seems to quell a lot of the arguments in favor of new characters existing that aren't in the leaked roster. I would always hear, "But All-Star mode is locked so therefore more characters are in the game but aren't shown yet." If I'm understanding you correctly, the lock means little other than you haven't unlocked the entirety of the roster yet and not that you can't play it until unlocking everyone.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Don't really care that it's available from the beginning since I probably won't play it until I have the full roster, unless you need it to unlock a character of course.

I like how it's done over the Brawl All-Stars, I like it when franchises clash and it's a cool way to learn when every character originated. However, I still prefer the full-on randomness of the Melee All-Stars.

the8thark

Smash Lord
the lock means little other than you haven't unlocked the entirety of the roster yet and not that you can't play it until unlocking everyone.
And that is rather confusing. A lock usually means locked or unplayable right now. Not partially playable and only filly playable later when you earn more things in the game. There needs to be a better way to show this in game than a lock.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
This time, you can challenge every fighter in All-Star Mode from the moment you turn on the game!! This is a survival battle with limited recovery items and no option to continue. However, this mode will be incomplete until you've unlocked every fighter... Until then, you can only play against characters that are already available.
That really doesn't sound like the mode is locked to me. He pretty clearly says you can play it against the characters you currently have, even if you haven't unlocked everyone yet.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I get it. That seems to quell a lot of the arguments in favor of new characters existing that aren't in the leaked roster. I would always hear, "But All-Star mode is locked so therefore more characters are in the game but aren't shown yet." If I'm understanding you correctly, the lock means little other than you haven't unlocked the entirety of the roster yet and not that you can't play it until unlocking everyone.
Yeah. That's exactly what it means.

....which, of course, means that we likely HAVEN'T seen the entire roster unless the ESRB recorder unlocked the remaining characters WHILE filming the footage. Not gonna derail things into a discussion about the leak (that's what the leak thread is for), but thought I'd clarify things there.

That really doesn't sound like the mode is locked to me. He pretty clearly says you can play it against the characters you currently have, even if you haven't unlocked everyone yet.
I meant the LITERAL lock image on the mode. Not that the mode itself was locked.

Last edited:

Spirst

Yeah. That's exactly what it means.

....which, of course, means that we likely HAVEN'T seen the entire roster unless the ESRB recorder unlocked the remaining characters WHILE filming the footage. Not gonna derail things into a discussion about the leak (that's what the leak thread is for), but thought I'd clarify things there.
Oh, that's right. I had forgotten about that simple part that either way, it would imply there's more to come.

I personally think it's a bit of a confusing way to represent the fact that you can play it but haven't unlocked everyone. A lock usually signifies that something is closed and not that something is just incomplete,

TweetyPurd

Smash Apprentice
I thought brawl WAS always in the same order, with the random elements only being which stage you were on?

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I kind of prefer unlocking all star mode, since not only are all the characters unlocked by that point but also by that point, the player should be quite comfortable with how the game plays and thus, All star mode is now their chance to prove their skills. Basically I just like the build up to it.

The chronological order is an interesting idea but a major problem of this is that it may end up getting repetitive, since you're fighting the same opponents in the same order every time. Still, maybe that will give the mode a strategy element.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This could have an impact on your high score for All-Star Mode. Maybe before all the fighters are unlocked, you'll only see the amount of KOs that you've made. But once everyone is unlocked, if you're able to defeat everyone, you'll see your best time.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I may not particularly LIKE it, but It's better than Brawl's. No more sudden difficulty spikes with saturated series.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I moved this thread to the 3DS forum, since we don't really know if the same rules will apply to the Wii U version's All-Star Mode yet.

Arti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arti31415
3DS FC
2621-3001-2960
I wish it were random again, but it's still pretty nice!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm not sure. On one hand it's available from the get-go, which mean we can probably get FS trophies earlier and not have to futz with fighting 51-53 characters each time to get one, and I like the order the fighter will appear in. On the other hand however, we have no option to continue this time; like in Melee, it'll be a bit harder, considering the HUGE cast we have. I can't even imagine Intense Mode with it.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I think it's fine either way. I kind of liked that it felt like right as you've (mostly) done everything in the game... a whole new mode unlocks when you thought you were at the end. That was friggin awesome imo when I first unlocked it in Melee.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
I like it. As others have mentioned, just our starting roster is gonna be about as big as Brawl's fully-unlocked roster, so being able to play it early is good. Plus you get to learn a little bit of history (Little Mac's HOW old??). I can also see people playing it and saying things like, "Hey, I was born in that year, I'm just as old as ____!"

Last edited:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably not going to touch it until I unlock everyone (unless that's a requirement to unlock someone, obviously) but that's kind of cool I guess.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Stop saying "random like Meele/Brawl". Brawl always came in the same predetermined order. Yes, it does get repetitive.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
The randomness made it less repetitive in Melee, but what makes the Brawl and Smash 4 versions good is that it captures the history of Nintendo, which is one of the game's primary goals considering a huge chunk of the game has trophys and characters and stages all glorifying Nintendo's history. HOWEVER, I really dislike that we start with the oldest first. We should start with the less Iconic, newer characters and finish off with a bang defeating super Classics like G&W and Pac-Man. G&W was always last in Melee's Allstar mode and something about that made it special. It's too bad we're going to have to end off with Greninja, he's cool but he shouldn't be the last one to top the All Star Mode off. Brawl ending with Olimar was kinda super lame.

EdwardFire

Smash Rookie
The problem with All-Star mode being unlocked after getting all the characters is that a lot of casual players may not ever see the mode (This was a big problem in melee where some characters had strange unlock conditions and the internet wasn't refined to the point of simply being able to look up all the answers), if there's even one character who has an obtuse unlocking method, people might have a hard time unlocking the mode unless they spend time looking up how to unlock everything, which is annoying to new players, not fulfilling.

I do agree, however, that it would be better if all-star mode had random characters appear rather then a set order for every time you play, after awhile it'll just get boring because everything feels the same.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I like it.
Gives more opportunity for Character Unlocks.
Wishful Example;
:gw: = Beat All-Star Mode on Intensity 7.0 or Higher

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
I don't really mind either way, all-star mode is fun haha. Would be nice if after every time you complete it you'd unlock a new character though.

Also, won't the characters be ordered by franchise debut? If that's the case, Shulk should be the final character no?

Last edited:

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
I love it! More modes right off the bat, plus it might allow for a different unlockable when all characters are defeated. Just some wishful thinking. I'm excited though, between classic mode, smash run, stadium, vs and online all rom the beginning, there is gonna be a lot to do!

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Yes, because I want to be able to have a straight-foreword single player mode unlocked from the get-go, while the new classic mode looks nice, I kinda want to be able to just start a game and go sometimes. Plus it'll be a good way to unlock characters that will help make up for the apparent loss of break the targets.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
I don't really mind either way, all-star mode is fun haha. Would be nice if after every time you complete it you'd unlock a new character though.

Also, won't the characters be ordered by franchise debut? If that's the case, Shulk should be the final character no?
It's by the character's first appearance. So Pokemon came out in 1998, but Pokemon X/Y,Greninja's first game, came out in 2013.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Mixed feels. Mostly like, though.

I am glad it's there, and I am glad it's less congested with single franchises like Brawl, but I'm probably not going to play it until the full roster is available. And I do like Melee's randomness.

I love the 'character debut' thing, and I'm interested to see how Assist Trophies will play into this. Maybe only ATs from that particular era will appear? Hmm..

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
I'm liking the new "incomplete" mode. It gives me the chance to test drive the new fighters before actually fighting the real All-Stars mode.

It'll also allow me to really determine my weaknesses and strengths for my mains.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I love the format and the way it's immediately accessible is a neat twist. Still, I would rather test my mettle against the entire roster, so I don't think I will find myself using the mode until I have everyone in front of me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
While I do get the chronological order reason, it gets way too repetitive after a while. If the opponents are fought randomly, however, then that would at least offer some versatility with the opponents that you face.

It'll just feel odd knowing that Greninja is basically the very last fighter that you'll face, and it's not even all that special when compared to someone like Mr. Game & Watch.

Pittoo

Smash Rookie
Personally I like that it's available from the start. It's one more mode to play early on, and it's one that will get more difficult as more characters are unlocked. Though I do also agree with what others have said in that it may get a bit tedious length-wise once all of the characters are unlocked. And playing it in the same order every time could make things a bit too repetitive.

Last edited:

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Don't really care that it's available from the beginning since I probably won't play it until I have the full roster, unless you need it to unlock a character of course.
Pretty much agreed with this. I think it's fine that it's unlocked from the beginning, I just probably won't be using it until I know I have the full thing unlocked, otherwise I feel like doing it without the whole thing being finished is a little pointless.

As for the order being by release date, I think it's pretty cool even if it means it'll be predictable after a while, but it doesn't bug me.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I kind of hope they fudge the exact order of characters within each year, if only for variety's sake. But overall I'm fine with it, especially since I don't spend a lot of time in All-Star mode to begin with.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
It's nice that it's available from the start, but unless it saves your progress, there's 0 point in playing it before unlocking everything.

Top Bottom