• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you have any smash "curses"?

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I almost forgot: Cant. Beat. CPU. Wario. I don't get it. Also, I am terrible at playing as meta knight

Rioni

Smash Apprentice
I always die whenever I'm facing ROB in the Mario Bros. stage in All-Star Mode.

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
My curse is being unable to 4-stock a level 1 CPU in Project M. Seriously. I always SD at least once. #fml

Also, the mere notion of getting a functioning Hammer (aka not Golden Sqeaky/head falls off) escapes me.

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
Three of them: One, Level 9 CPU Zelda is an absolute monster. Two, I never understand the proficiency of Meta Knight. Even though he is supposedly God-Tier, I'm able to use other characters much better than him. Three, I can never seem to zap myself into the direction I actually want to be rocketed from. I always end up doing a suicide even though I can easily hit Ness with PK Thunder. There are probably more curses I have too, but I haven't played Brawl in about a week so I forget.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I don't believe in curses. For instance, I had a long history of dying to Frigate Orpheon flipping, and I decided I'd had enough. So I went into training mode and dropped about half an hour just watching it flip and moving my character around to test how it interacted. I grew to understand how it worked, and I no longer had that problem and thus went from having a "bad stage" to another stage on which I could play with confidence.

If you can identify a specific, narrow weakness you have, you should be able to address it and improve upon it. Being able to recognize those flaws in your play is the first step to becomming a better player; taking action to correct them is number two. Just continue on the road!

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
Lil' Mac is always against me. I never get his assist trophy but when someone else gets the trophy, they will receive him and he will ALWAYS find me and K.O. me.

Also, never beaten a CPU Olimar.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
You wanna hear my Smash Curse!

LUCAS..........................

You know we love you mario players...

Love beating you up and trolling with PSI magnet. :awesome:

@Ampharos: I know what you mean - but I think of curses as like little habits you get into. When we say curse, although the implication of the word implies it can't be fixed, the implication of what people usually seem to mean here is that it's just a habit they always fall into that they haven't been bothered to look into enough to fix, or something they just decide to laugh at instead. I have one, for instance, that I could fix if I put enough time to it - but to be honest I can't be bothered.

And that's that if i'm ever actually playing on Spear Pillar (hey don't let that discourage you, i've played that stage in a proper tournament set! It was using the gentleman's clause though because the other team didn't care about their placing anymore BUT STILL! :D) and the stage mirrors itself, I almost always fail trying to recover using PK Thunder. Most people just have to press it in the opposite direction but us PK kid users have to ROLL it in the complete opposite direction which just feels SOOOO wrong. :p

EDIT: Also, my apologies for spoiling the fun - but I get the sneaky suspicion this topic isn't really meant to be in the smash 4 boards. ;)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't, but back in Middle School I had a friend who always seemed to make things explode(in-game) when he played.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I cannot stand level 9 G&W on Brawl. It's basically playing against a human for me. I barely scrap out victories.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I don't believe in curses. For instance, I had a long history of dying to Frigate Orpheon flipping, and I decided I'd had enough. So I went into training mode and dropped about half an hour just watching it flip and moving my character around to test how it interacted. I grew to understand how it worked, and I no longer had that problem and thus went from having a "bad stage" to another stage on which I could play with confidence.

If you can identify a specific, narrow weakness you have, you should be able to address it and improve upon it. Being able to recognize those flaws in your play is the first step to becomming a better player; taking action to correct them is number two. Just continue on the road!
Lacking a sense of humor is a terrible curse to bear.

Waver

Smash Cadet
NNID
WaverJR
3DS FC
2964-8605-0439
Switch FC
SW-1450-5084-6730
- Always losing miserably in the Mario Bros stage because of the freakin' gimmick...
- In Melee, I can never do a Onett match without hitting at least one car.
- Always in a taunt-party group that spams Final Destination or Temple.

grizby2

Smash Lord
everytime someone throws an item, I have the irresistible urge to try and catch it, and im GOOD at it too, but it makes me so predictable! doesn't matter what it is: bomb-omb, turnips, starfox fox bombs, bananas.... I just HAVE to catch'em all! (pokeballs too...)

Tybis

Smash Apprentice
I've never been able to DI out of Halberd's laser. Not once. Not in basic Brawl, not in Brawl-, not in PM.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
1. Being too good to play against anyone I know (I've even had a few 1v3 matches too, makes me feel awesome for the first few matches, but it feels one sided and boring after a while), but probably not good enough to compete in any tournament (I wouldn't know where to look for local tournaments anyways). CPUs are a bit too predictable, they get boring after a while. The best matches are when you have someone of equal skill, I've only been able to fight one person for less than an hour that was like that (marth vs mario, whoever played marth always won, just barely though)
2. Whenever I get into the mode to play Super Smash Bros. games, people always drag me to go play some other game instead.
3. Explosive crates/Barrels seem to love spawning on top of me just after I start up a smash attack with high percentage whenever I have them activated.
4. I always get bad luck when I try to use a move that is luck based (Game and watch's side b, peaches turnips for example)

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I like having matches where the only item on is pokeball and it is on high... the only pokemon I EVER get is goldeen, munchlax, or gardivoar and my opponent always gets friggin' kyoger... KYOGER!!!
1. Being too good to play against anyone I know (I've even had a few 1v3 matches too, makes me feel awesome for the first few matches, but it feels one sided and boring after a while), but probably not good enough to compete in any tournament (I wouldn't know where to look for local tournaments anyways). CPUs are a bit too predictable, they get boring after a while. The best matches are when you have someone of equal skill, I've only been able to fight one person for less than an hour that was like that (marth vs mario, whoever played marth always won, just barely though)
I feel your pain T-T

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Here are My Curses for Each Smash Games

Super Smash Bros N64

• I always loose a life against Team Yoshi.
Super Smash Bros Melee
  • In Adventure Mode, in Zelda Maze, I always find the Tri Force Last.
  • I beat the Board the Platform Metroid thing in Adventure Mode 30% of the times.
  • I die in 100-Man Melee when it's 14 Left.
  • I never get time to throw Electrode.
  • Chansey kills me all the time in "Poke Floats"
Super Smash Bros Brawl
  • I never win using Pit.
  • Gets too many Mushroom Trophies.
  • Never get the CD's unless I got friends playing.
  • Can't win on 75m Stage.
  • Never beat Cruel Man.
This is what I can remember ~

MarioAnIke

Smash Cadet
NNID
LuigiCheezburger
Here are My Curses for Each Smash Games

Super Smash Bros N64

• I always loose a life against Team Yoshi.
Super Smash Bros Melee

• In Adventure Mode, in Zelda Maze, I always find the Tri Force Last.
  • I beat the Board the Platform Metroid thing in Adventure Mode 30% of the times.
  • I die in 100-Man Melee when it's 14 Left.
  • I never get time to throw Electrode.
  • Chansey kills me all the time in "Poke Floats"
Super Smash Bros Brawl

• I never win using Pit.
  • Gets too many Mushroom Trophies.
  • Never get the CD's unless I got friends playing.
  • Can't win on 75m Stage.
  • Never beat Cruel Man.
This is what I can remember ~
Against the Yoshi Team!? C'mon, man!

MarioAnIke

Smash Cadet
NNID
LuigiCheezburger
You know we love you mario players...

Love beating you up and trolling with PSI magnet. :awesome:

@Ampharos: I know what you mean - but I think of curses as like little habits you get into. When we say curse, although the implication of the word implies it can't be fixed, the implication of what people usually seem to mean here is that it's just a habit they always fall into that they haven't been bothered to look into enough to fix, or something they just decide to laugh at instead. I have one, for instance, that I could fix if I put enough time to it - but to be honest I can't be bothered.

And that's that if i'm ever actually playing on Spear Pillar (hey don't let that discourage you, i've played that stage in a proper tournament set! It was using the gentleman's clause though because the other team didn't care about their placing anymore BUT STILL! :D) and the stage mirrors itself, I almost always fail trying to recover using PK Thunder. Most people just have to press it in the opposite direction but us PK kid users have to ROLL it in the complete opposite direction which just feels SOOOO wrong. :p

EDIT: Also, my apologies for spoiling the fun - but I get the sneaky suspicion this topic isn't really meant to be in the smash 4 boards. ;)
Mario is a low-tier in Brawl. That's why I suck at fighting Lucas or Ness or any of those little brats.. No offense

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Whenever I play Captain Falcon and try to use a Falcon Punch, a bomb spawns right above me

lint789

Smash Cadet
I will always start losing every match when I use Sonic. Whether I win or lose at the end is irrelevant, I ALWAYS start off losing badly.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Whenever I play Brawl against the CPU, everything is fine. But whenever my friend and I are playing all kinds of ridiculous **** happens and the TV starts to flicker to a black screen wtf. It feels like the game is gonna break at any moment, we are probably pushing it to its physical limits or something lol.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
1. I can never execute Captain Falcon's final smash properly when playing against human players ( It's hard enough getting the smash ball with Falcon)
2. I have never killed anyone with Mario's FLUDD down special (It is the most worthless move ever!)
3. A Bomb-omb will always spawn right on top of me while getting down to the last 15 enemies or so in 100 man Brawl
4. I always get hit with the Soccer ball when playing as Diddy Kong
5. The big fish in the Summit stage always gets me when I play as King Dedede
6. when playing against the CPU the dragon parts will get knocked out of me in one hit, but I have to fully KO the CPU just to collect the parts if they pick them up.
7. Each time me and my friends get together to play smash I will get hit by the home run bat at least once before the night is over.
8. Mr. Resetti is 10x more likely to appear when I play with my friends
9. I will die while carlessly using King Dedede's up special at least once per match when fighting against my friends and they always laugh
10. When ever I play against an experienced Lucas player on either of the Pokemon stadium stages they always go to the edge of the stage and use his up special to direct an electrifying Lucas across the ground of the stage. Each time they do this I always end up in his path. ( I know this one is specific, but this is why I hate Lucas)

Delgado

Smash Rookie
ssb64: ness priority
banjo kazooie: THAT jiggy from rusty bucket bay

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Mario is a low-tier in Brawl. That's why I suck at fighting Lucas or Ness or any of those little brats.. No offense
So were Lucas and Ness, for a while. :p

Lucas hasn't even technically risen in terms of placement. He's just grouped with low mid now instead of low tier. ^^

MarioAnIke

Smash Cadet
NNID
LuigiCheezburger
Another smash curse of mine. Whenever I transform into Giga Bowser I just fall of the stage. :)

MarioAnIke

Smash Cadet
NNID
LuigiCheezburger
So were Lucas and Ness, for a while. :p

Lucas hasn't even technically risen in terms of placement. He's just grouped with low mid now instead of low tier. ^^
I really don't find tier lists accurate. Gannondorf is the lowest of the low, but I can never beat him on Project M.

peeup

Smash Lord
My curse is that every time I don't forward that chain mail, Consuela kills another one of my relatives.

Top Bottom