• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you guys like Earthbound?

Nkguy01

Smash Apprentice
This might seem like a silly question but bare with me. I was first introduced to Ness when I started playing melee. Well, n64 at first but I was too young for anyone but Yoshi, Fox, and Pikachu to have given me a favorable impression. I remember his play-style feeling right for me because it was interesting and different. One of my favorite colors is red and I love that little backpack he wears....Also, I love pk thunder and the way that you can use it as a recovery and projectile.

Either way, I have played Earthbound since, on an emulator, but I only think it's a good game. I'm not as big as a fan as I probably should be, but I have given the series a chance and I think it's fun, but not incredibly amazing.

*This thread might not belong here...so a mod may delete it I suppose.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Haha, nice topic :)

Personally, I actually haven't played any of the Mother games, but I plan to as soon as I can. They look like a game I could get into to play every once in awhile.

I got into playing Ness cause of his playstyle, I love DJC, I loved watching Mofo in Melee, so naturally I got into playing Ness as soon as I could. I was depressed at his state in all 3 games, he just didn't have the right tools to do what most other characters could do easily. P:M is amazing in that I go more than even with spacie mains with Ness.

Related, Imo you don't need to like the characters games to like the character him/herself. I'm not really a fan of racing games, but I still love playing me some Falcon haha.

Nkguy01

Smash Apprentice
If you like rpgs, you'll probably like it. I think it's a pretty good game, and I think the storyline and the quirky dialogue/ humor is what a lot of fans love. I was just feeling a little guilty because I always remember my friend, a big earthbound fan, asking me why I play Ness when I've never played his games. Eh, I just think he's awesome.
Also, I like F-zero series and I like playing Falcon :eek: .

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Funny enough, my friends asked me why I play Ness so much, and I really didn't have an answer other than "hes fun to play". I actually have little to no knowledge of his games other than what people have told me, or what I have seen here and there on the internet. I only knew Fuzzy pickles cause I asked what kind of joke I should make for the Ness video thread rofl.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I play him cause hes fun and awesome, doing 70% damage off of a grab, and at the same time setting up a tech chase is hilariously good.

Bryonato

Green Hat
I've played Earthbound many times and I'm playing through mother 3 on *shameless plug* my stream at the moment. Love them both

Nguz95

Smash Lord
The games creep me out, but they are still good. I just have to get over the cold chills to play them.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
DJC was not in Brawl, you would always rise through your aerials. This was for all them, Yoshi, Ness, Lucas and Peach.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
Yea, they did the best thing including both in PM. It adds so much depth to his gameplay.
one combo I've found to work at least against CPUs is on battlefield to down throw then doc into an fair, once you land bring out the bat or yo-yo

Nguz95

Smash Lord
you can also regrab. We were talking about this in the social thread too. There's actually a lot of options that are similar to you idea that you can use. His dthrow is so good.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
you can also regrab. We were talking about this in the social thread too. There's actually a lot of options that are similar to you idea that you can use. His dthrow is so good.
Agreed, also I love that the fair is once again a great way to get in close for your grabs, can get insane if your opponent gives you the inch via mistake.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
That's totally true. His fair is such a good tool to use it's insane. Sometimes I just djc the fair to get off a grab or a dash attack. I am currently having a hard time figuring out the best way to use it off the edge. Do I do the rising aerial, or do I wait and do the regualr DJC? Sometimes the rising aerial doesn't make it far enough, but sometimes the regular djc is too slow.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
That's totally true. His fair is such a good tool to use it's insane. Sometimes I just djc the fair to get off a grab or a dash attack. I am currently having a hard time figuring out the best way to use it off the edge. Do I do the rising aerial, or do I wait and do the regualr DJC? Sometimes the rising aerial doesn't make it far enough, but sometimes the regular djc is too slow.
Well I like to show off a lot so I either yo-yo, DJC into Dair, or Pk Flash, which btw, is really good for edge guarding if you can time it.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Earthbound is my 3rd favorite videogame series,losing only to yoshi's (2nd) and Crash Bandicoot (1st)

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I know what you mean. I was actually talking about getting back onto the stage. Like Cfal's ledge knee or something.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
I know what you mean. I was actually talking about getting back onto the stage. Like Cfal's ledge knee or something.
Normally I use PK Thunder for a PK Rocket, but if you want a safer route I think a good Double Jump Rise works

AsymptoteG

Smash Rookie
I love all the Earthbound games. I think they're my most favorite RPG's I've ever played. They have such depth to their characters and stories, even while looking so innocent and cartoony. When I saw Ness in Smash 64, I couldn't believe that they had added him in. One of the best times of my gaming life. ^_^

Dream Land Works

Smash Journeyman
I only learned of EarthBound through Smash N64 introducing me to Ness. I became a Mother fan years later when one of my friends who played Brawl was singing the praises of Mother 3 and over the years I've became hooked. I've played Mother 2 (EarthBound) and Mother 3, I've enjoyed both games a lot. Definitely need to check out Mother 1 sometime.

AsymptoteG

Smash Rookie
Mother 1 is essentially a much harder version of Mother 2, still enjoyable though.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
Mother 1 is essentially a much harder version of Mother 2, still enjoyable though.
That being said, there is an easy version mod if you're afraid of suffering an asthma attack during a truck fight because you aren't strong enough.

Lostimos

Smash Rookie
Earthbound is a great game and so is Mother 3. They give a different outlook on the RPG and really show how an RPG can be more than just your typical story. That being said i was first presented to Earthbound several years ago but only first played it when it came to the Wii U, i dont think i moved for several hours because the game is so enjoyable to me. Its easily one of my favorite RPG's.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
Earthbound did a great job at giving an interesting atmosphere. The quirkiness of all the enemies painted a great setting that was always worth exploring. Moonside destroys the painting and makes it insane, but still kept the quirky attitude the game has. It's wonderful.

Nido

ily Sebby
Earthbound is amazing, I even modded a rom so that Ness has his green colour palette from Brawl which bryon should defs stream.

Blue Bombardment

Smash Rookie
I tried Earthbound after liking Ness in Melee, it's great. I love Mother 3 too, I haven't tried the original Mother yet though.

-snip-

It honestly felt weird at first but then I got used to it.
Oh man, I want to do this with Fuel Ness now.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I think the original mother is the most unique game out of the entire series. EarthBound is probably the best one though, and the only one I've done multiple playthroughs of. I have a cartridge of Mother 2. It's one of my most prized possessions.

MLGF

Smash Lord
****ing hate the Mother franchise.
I dropped Ness for a long time solely due to that.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I LOVE Mother series man! i just started playing the series in July, and finished it in September, and and it just went higher in my favorite franchise list than Star Fox, F-Zero, and others that i played in my childhood, considering that i just played Mother series a few months ago.

Top Bottom