• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you get Smash-shy too?

MirrorTael

Smash Cadet
I'll admit it. An awesome Smasher can easily intimidate me. I haven't participated in a tourney for years and I never made it to a "hot-shot" level. I've usually played super casual (although it did get intense at times). Fast forward to now, where they've pretty much cut out Brawling online and I don't have enough friends to practice with. I tried to go to a little random Brawling get-together with strangers and totally got psyched out! I feel like maybe I'll get judged a) for being a girl and b) for not being as good. I feel like maybe I'm not the only one a little nervous about tossing myself into the fray. I have played with folk in the past who KO'd me with the quickness, but I knew them and they never gloated. Where do you guys get your courage with playing with people you don't know?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I see you're in New York! New York Brawlers (I'm unfamiliar with the Melee scene, but they should be just as good), are totally chill. It's really difficult to make that first step to get out there, but if you can get yourself to do it, the rest should be easy! If you've been to a tournament before, then the jump from that to a more smash-fest setting isn't too large.

From what I know, the New York scene is super accepting to players of all skill levels, and a lot of the Brawlers there are super welcoming towards newcomers, with tons usually sort of mentoring the new players.

Which get together did you plan on going to?

MirrorTael

Smash Cadet
Smash-shy? Isn't it just general shyness? This may interest you.

I used to be quite shy too.
For some reason...I am scared to click that. But yes, I can be quite terrified of strangers at times. The result of growing up introverted.

I see you're in New York! New York Brawlers (I'm unfamiliar with the Melee scene, but they should be just as good), are totally chill. It's really difficult to make that first step to get out there, but if you can get yourself to do it, the rest should be easy! If you've been to a tournament before, then the jump from that to a more smash-fest setting isn't too large.

From what I know, the New York scene is super accepting to players of all skill levels, and a lot of the Brawlers there are super welcoming towards newcomers, with tons usually sort of mentoring the new players.

Which get together did you plan on going to?
Have you come to NY to play? There was an event in Bryant Park yesterday; it was a very small group, but perhaps it reminded me that it has been years since I actually Brawled against other people in person, not online. (My friends don't play!) The tournaments I used to go to were in a college setting, very laid back. But I guess I was comfortable in the environment because I knew them, and back then the concept of playing for money was unheard of.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Sure. Back when I lived in my old state, I never went to any local events or tournies because I didn't know anyone and felt like it would be really awkward since I'm extremely shy with that kind of thing. I actually didn't start attending local events until I moved to my current state where they hold weeklies every Sunday. It's actually a really nice environment and everyone is very welcoming and friendly to new people/people they don't know. Also, while there probably are a lot of regulars who are close with each other, you are also most likely not the only new person there who doesn't know anyone. There's definitely going to be other people who are in the same boat as you. There's no real courage to it really, it's just not letting the shyness get to you; and the general good vibes from the people you are playing with help reduce that social anxiety.

now the only struggle is actually getting time from work to attend those weeklies

Last edited:

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
You just gotta jump in. No way around it.
In general, most communities will welcome you because they want their respective scenes to grow so you shouldn't feel worried about that. Yes, you will most likely be judged depending on your skill level, but playing other people is the only way you're going to get better.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Have you come to NY to play? There was an event in Bryant Park yesterday; it was a very small group, but perhaps it reminded me that it has been years since I actually Brawled against other people in person, not online. (My friends don't play!) The tournaments I used to go to were in a college setting, very laid back. But I guess I was comfortable in the environment because I knew them, and back then the concept of playing for money was unheard of.
I used to. I'm originally from NJ, but the Brawl scenes for NJ/NY are very closely connected, so I got to know plenty of Brawlers from NY, and I've traveled to lots of NY tournaments as well. Currently, I'm in Chicago for school.

I can only really offer my words and encouragement. I'm positive that you'll get a good feel from the group if you go. When I made my first step into the offline scene, I was super shy and nervous too. I actually spent almost an hour writing a paragraph-length PM to the person running smashfests closest to me to ask if I could come by and play. But I certainly don't regret getting involved. NY has one of the more dedicated Brawl scenes left, too, so you're actually really lucky!

Sensei

Smash Lord
I used to get a little shy playing against top players, especially when there is a long line to play them, when I first started out. The more I played and hanged out with smashers though, the more I realized that mostly everybody are easy to get a long with and really friendly! What also pushed me to play these players is that I wanted to get better ASAP and I knew playing somebody above my level was great to reach my goal so I channel that excitement and energy to giving everything I got!

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
I'm new to Smash and have yet to participate in a tournament, however i play Anime fighters.
When i first started going to locals for Blazblue and Skullgirls i was kinda shy, but now im pretty used to going out to tournaments.
Going to EVO really helped boost my confidence too XD

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Feelings of shyness, anxiety, etc. are common among those who attend tournaments, especially when there are nothing but strangers with unknown levels of skill (multiply that if there are renowned Smashers attending). The best way to deal with such timorous feelings is to play the game for the fun of it (at least from my own personal experience). If you try too hard to win, you'll find yourself too pressured to reach the top position, and can lead to nervousness resulting in careless mistakes in gameplay.
Enter a tourney expecting to lose, and you may be surprised at how well you can do compared to if you enter and hope to win in the first place. It's how I got 3rd at a (rather poorly orchestrated) Brawl tourney at PAX East 2011.

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
I personally love playing people I don't know. With people I'm better than, it gives me a chance to show my skill, and with people who are better than me, it gives me a chance to get better.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
I only get shy when I find myself playing with new people. Like, I met some friend's friends at a Labor Day party, and they were all playing Melee. And even though it's a game, I know I suck at Melee and was nervous, in edition to feeling like I had something to prove in general

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
It's totally normal to be shy when going somewhere like that, but you need to do your best to make sure that the shyness doesn't overwhelm you to the point where you don't go or you aren't enjoying yourself. Just remember, if you're there and you're feeling like that, the odds are there's someone else there who feels just like you do. Besides, everybody is there for the same reason you are, to get together with people who have similar interests, play some Smash and have fun! The first step can be a little scary sometimes, but try taking it next time and I'm sure things will go great for you. :)

Top Bottom